Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals bungal, as usual.
(01-14-2018, 04:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And that is clearly all Mixon's fault.

:troll:

Cook and Fournette were both already off the Board when we drafted Mixon.

While I agree with the sentiment of this post, Cook was there when we traded with Minnesota and slid back and drafted Mixon.  They could have had Cook, but got Mixon and what turned out to be Malone instead.  I hated it at that time, but as long as Mixon keeps his nose clean, I think that the Bengals actually got the better deal.  They already had a Cook-type in Gio and needed a bigger body back.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Folks can point to scheme change all they want but the bottom line is that Mixon started out terrible and got better. He was trying to be a "patient runner" and that's not easy to do with a line that has a hard time holding blocks.

I cannot remember the game (ironically enough I think it was Jags Jags) but there was a play where Mixon got tackled behind the LOS by a dude lying on his back in the open. Big Dre had pancaked dude and was moving to the second level to lead the way. Mixon ran right into the dude that Dre had put on his back.

Of course an offensive line has a lot to do with a running back's success, but guess what just might have a little more to do with it. I was hard on Mixon this past year because he was performing poorly, acted like he'd won the Superbowl every time he gained 2 yards, and was handed the starting job when Gio was more deserving.

I think he bought a little too much into the "you're great" hype. Hopefully this season humbled him and he comes back ready to use his incredible size and speed. He is our RB of the future (if he matures), he just wasn't our RB on the present.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 04:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fournette had just over 1000 yards at 3.9 YPC

Remember when we used to hate Benson for doing that.

I remember those days and the bitching that everyone was doing while it was happening.

Mixon, played only a little of the season, had bad blocking until the end.  I think he shows good upside and will be fine.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 12:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks can point to scheme change all they want but the bottom line is that Mixon started out terrible and got better. He was trying to be a "patient runner" and that's not easy to do with a line that has a hard time holding blocks.

I cannot remember the game (ironically enough I think it was Jags Jags) but there was a play where Mixon got tackled behind the LOS by a dude lying on his back in the open. Big Dre had pancaked dude and was moving to the second level to lead the way. Mixon ran right into the dude that Dre had put on his back.

Of course an offensive line has a lot to do with a running back's success, but guess what just might have a little more to do with it. I was hard on Mixon this past year because he was performing poorly, acted like he'd won the Superbowl every time he gained 2 yards, and was handed the starting job when Gio was more deserving.

I think he bought a little too much into the "you're great" hype. Hopefully this season humbled him and he comes back ready to use his incredible size and speed. He is our RB of the future (if he matures), he just wasn't our RB on the present.

Thank you! Agree, with everything that you posted here. 

I was honestly enjoying the first half and loved how LF was just brutalising Pitt's D. Decided to stir the pot a bit for fun on a freezing cold Sunday. Was great to see them eliminated at home.

Then my 'twenty something yo gf called so I went over to her beach house to scratch an itch. "It's good to be King! For just one day". 

The other thing that was on my mind at the time was how Jax, Minne, & Philly all basically turned it around in one season. Here's to the Bengals doing the same.

As per the norm, the butthurt of several is very strong on this board. On the positive side, after ten years I finally used my Iggy option!! The list is really starting to grow. I won't be missing anything from those posters. They've been posting the same lame crap for a decade! Toodle loo a-holes!
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 04:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fournette had just over 1000 yards at 3.9 YPC

Remember when we used to hate Benson for doing that.

I didn't have an issue with Benson until he fumbled 5 times and everyone blamed it on TO.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 12:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks can point to scheme change all they want but the bottom line is that Mixon started out terrible and got better. He was trying to be a "patient runner" and that's not easy to do with a line that has a hard time holding blocks.

Think we can close this thread out now after this post. Very well said bfine.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 12:46 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Then my 'twenty something yo gf called so I went over to her beach house to scratch an itch. "It's good to be King! For just one day". 

I wonder if she knows my 19 year old Russian super model wife that has a villa in the south of France and uses her Learjet to fly me in on weekends?

I don't have any itches though. Might want to consult a doctor on that one.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 12:46 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Thank you! Agree, with everything that you posted here. 

I was honestly enjoying the first half and loved how LF was just brutalising Pitt's D. Decided to stir the pot a bit for fun on a freezing cold Sunday. Was great to see them eliminated at home.

Then my 'twenty something yo gf called so I went over to her beach house to scratch an itch. "It's good to be King! For just one day". 

The other thing that was on my mind at the time was how Jax, Minne, & Philly all basically turned it around in one season. Here's to the Bengals doing the same.

As per the norm, the butthurt of several is very strong on this board. On the positive side, after ten years I finally used my Iggy option!! The list is really starting to grow. I won't be missing anything from those posters. They've been posting the same lame crap for a decade! Toodle loo a-holes!
You're so fake
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 01:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't have any itches though. Might want to consult a doctor on that one.

FWIW, the male doesn't have the itch, he does the scathing. 

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 12:59 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Think we can close this thread out now after this post. Very well said bfine.

He was fairly eloquent with that one. I have to concur.
(01-15-2018, 01:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wonder if she knows my 19 year old Russian super model wife that has a villa in the south of France and uses her Learjet to fly me in on weekends?

I don't have any itches though. Might want to consult a doctor on that one.

My girl is half Russian, so perhaps. However, my girl actually exists & is a real living human being, ask Wyche or Zona. They can confirm if need be.
(01-15-2018, 01:22 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You're so fake

Plz see post above. Dude, there's not a fake "bone" in my body.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 01:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: FWIW, the male doesn't have the itch, he does the scathing. 

Dang, bfine teaching virgins and dropping truth bombs. Did you change your brand of coffee?..jj..lol

*scratching
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 01:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: FWIW, the male doesn't have the itch, he does the scathing. 

[Image: themoreyouknow.jpg]

This place is a never-ending treasure trove of information. ThumbsUp

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 01:33 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote:  

My girl is half Russian, so perhaps. However, my girl actually exists & is a real living human being, ask Wyche or Zona. They can confirm if need be.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5226204]

Reply/Quote

1. For the first time in 23 years, we changed our o-line coach, who Hobs himself said coordinated the run game and scheme.
2. Hobson and direct quotes from coaches have alluded to a change in scheme from the Browns game forward.
3. Before this change, Gio averaged 3.5 YPC. After, he averaged 4.7. Mixon averaged 2.9 before and 5.0 after.

If you want to say Mixon didn't use his size enough, fine. If you want to rip him for hitting a woman or celebrating too much, I'm with you. He didn't show enough "humble" for my taste, after what he did. It kinda pissed me off, actually. But to act completely dismissive of the run blocking and scheme is kinda goofy. The facts are all there for any who want to see them. 

The change that happened with BOTH backs was like night and day. I only regret that poor Jeremy Hill wasn't able to take advantage of the switch himself. He also had a poor YPC under the old scheme. You can either believe all 3 of our talented (2nd round) backs were awful at the same time, or you can look at all the facts and realize that the o-line played a MAJOR role.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 02:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. For the first time in 23 years, we changed our o-line coach, who Hobs himself said coordinated the run game and scheme.
2. Hobson and direct quotes from coaches have alluded to a change in scheme from the Browns game forward.
3. Before this change, Gio averaged 3.5 YPC. After, he averaged 4.7. Mixon averaged 2.9 before and 5.0 after.

If you want to say Mixon didn't use his size enough, fine. If you want to rip him for hitting a woman or celebrating too much, I'm with you. He didn't show enough "humble" for my taste, after what he did. It kinda pissed me off, actually. But to act completely dismissive of the run blocking and scheme is kinda goofy. The facts are all there for any who want to see them. 

The change that happened with BOTH backs was like night and day. I only regret that poor Jeremy Hill wasn't able to take advantage of the switch himself. He also had a poor YPC under the old scheme. You can either believe all 3 of our talented (2nd round) backs were awful at the same time, or you can look at all the facts and realize that the o-line played a MAJOR role.
Exactly, I don't understand why that is hard to get?
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 02:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. For the first time in 23 years, we changed our o-line coach, who Hobs himself said coordinated the run game and scheme.

Who "completely dismissed" the run blocking; did you not see the part where I said oline has a lot to do with a RB's success? But maybe, just maybe a RB's skill has a little more to do with it.

Joe and Gio's averages went up at the end of the year because Gio got more than 2-3 carries a game (someone told me it would "drop like a rock") and Joe became more decisive in his running.

If you, Hobs, and other want to say it was because of some blocking epiphany, feel free: or you can look at all the facts and realize that the RBs played a MAJOR role.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 02:00 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Mixon is way better than any of them. Hard to get a lot of yards when ur getting his 4-5 yards behind Los. And still breaks that tackle most times. And if I remember correctly the 48 yards was basically just one quarter. Give him Billy price and King Kong(will Hernandez) and see what he does.

No he's not......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 02:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who "completely dismissed" the run blocking; did you not see the part where I said oline has a lot to do with a RB's success? But maybe, just maybe a RB's skill has a little more to do with it.

Joe and Gio's averages went up at the end of the year because Gio got more than 2-3 carries a game (someone told me it would "drop like a rock") and Joe became more decisive in his running.

If you, Hobs, and other want to say it was because of some blocking epiphany, feel free: or you can look at all the facts and realize that the RBs played a MAJOR role.

Of course RB skill matters, but a terrible scheme can make good players look bad, right? You can go on believing it's a coincidence that both backs improved massively at the same time that the team acknowledged a scheme switch. I'll just believe that we have 2 talented backs that were able to show it once the guys up front got their shit squared.

I'm not sure you realize it, but you just said you're not dismissing the run blocking (scheme switch), then you go on to kinda dismiss it again by attributing the sudden success to other factors, then mockingly suggesting they had a "blocking epiphany". Check this out:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Alexanders-departure-signals-change-in-run-game/8bf651dc-520e-43e8-bf96-56a2d8d32bdb

Quote:Alexander was in charge of the run game so it’s a major move that indicates a significant change in how the Bengals approach line play and the ground attack.  They had their worst rushing season ever in the history of the club when it came to net yards, but they are attempting to build on Lazor’s approach that helped them average 4.6 yards per carry and 114 yards per game in the last six games.

I have a feeling we're in for a treat with the run game this year. I guess some will attribute that to the coaching changes, while others will just think Gio and Mixon "got better". Watching Jeremy Hill will be interesting this year as well. I'm betting that wherever he winds up, he looks like a different back too. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 02:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who "completely dismissed" the run blocking; did you not see the part where I said oline has a lot to do with a RB's success? But maybe, just maybe a RB's skill has a little more to do with it.

It's actually some of both.  The blocking scheme absolutely was changed up per Bill Lazor in his presser.  It absolutely made a positive difference, because Ludwig's scheme did not play to his guys' strengths.  In fact, it exposed their weaknesses.  This absolutely helped Giovanni Bernard.  As for Mixon, the scheme, and his own changes helped him.

Also agree with coach, he was rather underwhelming.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Only reason I didnt want Mixon was because of the slug to that girl.

Otherwise I am good with him going forward with Gio. They will be a great tandem next year imo. Lets just hope there will be about 3 new o-lineman than what we had this last year, mainly at tackles and center. Because having the worst center with the two worst tackles isnt going to help any running back.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote