Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals claim Max Scharping Off Waivers
Well looks like we have a starting LG..

https://www.battleredblog.com/2022/8/31/23331013/houston-texans-cincinnati-bengals-max-scharping-nfl-waiver-wire-sign
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Alright, now don't give me blue ballz again. Whatever

Really like Scharping, big time.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well looks like we have a starting LG..

https://www.battleredblog.com/2022/8/31/23331013/houston-texans-cincinnati-bengals-max-scharping-nfl-waiver-wire-sign

Great! And waiver claims ended at noon so this is settled then. 

Maybe won't start, since he will be brand new to the system, and according to the article you posted he went back and forth between starting and being on the bench, but still this is comforting.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:04 PM)Nepa Wrote: Great! And waiver claims ended at noon so this is settled then. 

Maybe won't start, since he will be brand new to the system, but this is comforting.

I wanted us to Draft this guy. Sure, will take time adjusting to Pollack's system but this is the depth claim I wanted to see.
Reply/Quote
Seems like a good claim.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:04 PM)Nepa Wrote: Great! And waiver claims ended at noon so this is settled then. 

Maybe won't start, since he will be brand new to the system, and according to the article you posted he went back and forth between starting and being on the bench, but still this is comforting.

started 33 games in his 4 years.. that is more starts than probably all are backups combined
Reply/Quote
He's been up and down in his career and has mostly been a backup thrust into a starter spot due to injury. He started all 17 games last year and was meh but of course Houston has been a dumpster fire the last couple seasons.

Volson will likely be the starter with Max waiting in the wings if he struggles.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: started 33 games in his 4 years.. that is more starts than probably all are backups combined

He has been pretty good too in his starts. This is a really nice claim IMO. Wink

He is coming off of the Texans who are maybe the worst team in the league and don't know what the heck they are doing.
Reply/Quote
all aboard.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:13 PM)Synric Wrote: He's been up and down in his career and has mostly been a backup thrust into a starter spot due to injury. He started all 17 games last year and was meh but of course Houston has been a dumpster fire the last couple seasons.

Volson will likely be the starter with Max waiting in the wings if he struggles.

http://www.nfl.com  has him starting 2019: 14   2020:  8  2021: 11... good pick up for a waiver wire... could start game 1 if up to speed..
Reply/Quote
Very glad to add some depth at G with experience.
Reply/Quote
Feel much better about guard depth now. If Volson struggles, he could step in and provide at least average play.
Reply/Quote
Scharping's career so far seems pretty average-ish:

2020 PFF Overall 52.1 Pass 60.7 Run 48.6

2021 PFF Overall 59.9 Pass 53.8. Run 60.4

2022 Preseason PFF Overall 65.4 Pass 76.7 Run 59.6

I'm not a PFF fan but the stats are what they are. He got 70 snaps this preseason BTW.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: Scharping's career so far seems pretty average-ish:

I'm not a PFF fan but the stats are what they are. He got 70 snaps this preseason BTW.

His 2022 grades are decent!
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: Scharping's career so far seems pretty average-ish:

Well, relative to the miserable PFF pass grades we saw posted for the preseason with both Volson and Carman, this would be just fine. Those Carman/Volson preseason pass grades were head-shakingly poor. (Their run grades were fine.)

Edit: I found what fans had posted Jungle Noise threads. Carman had a PFF pass block grade of 34.8 for the Rams preseason game. Volson had a PFF pass block grade of 38.5 for the first two preseason grades. Yeah, Scharping looks just fine from that standpoint.
Reply/Quote
Maybe the thought is Scharping will do well in our blocking scheme rather than what he was previously in.
Reply/Quote
Scharping seems to be an OK pass blocker. Thats what this team needs

Volson and Carman are both poor in pass pro. Carman especially
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:04 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Scharping seems to be an OK pass blocker. Thats what this team needs

Volson and Carman are both poor in pass pro. Carman especially

Bengals need a good run blocker at guard. Run blocking was a huge reason the Bengals were on of the worst redzone and 3rd and short teams in the NFL.

I know everyone is super focused on protecting Joe Burrow but if they dont improve in the redzone and short yardage they will struggle this season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
For those of us that have been clamoring for quality depth on the OL? Nice pickup!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:06 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals need a good run blocker at guard. Run blocking was a huge reason the Bengals were on of the worst redzone and 3rd and short teams in the NFL.

I know everyone is super focused on protecting Joe Burrow but if they dont improve in the redzone and short yardage they will struggle this season.

last season 3/5 of the o-line couldnt pass block, let alone run block. 

Collins and Cappa help with run blocking as well as pass blocking. Karras is a better run blocker than Hopkins was. Jonah is a good run blocker.

Bengals already have good run blockers. The run blocking is going to be better in 2022. Im all for a LG who may lack ideal run blocking skill, but can protect Burrow with decent pass pro skill.

Unless you really want Volson or Carman starting over Scharping, which I dont think you actually want
Reply/Quote