Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals kicker battle update: Practice Yesterday- "Elliot still struggling..."
New updated article from Jason Marcum with Cincy Jungle:

"Bengals kicker battle update: Jake Elliott still struggling while Randy Bullock looks superior"

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/8/17/16161312/bengals-kicker-battle-update-jake-elliott-struggling-randy-bullock-superior

Quote:Will Jake Elliott overcome his early mistakes to win this battle with Randy Bullock?

With three preseason games left, it’s now a toss-up as to who the Cincinnati Bengals’ kicker will be.

This seemed like a decision made months ago when Cincinnati spent a fifth-round pick on Memphis kicker Jake Elliott, making him the first kicker drafted this year. The Bengals are also very keen on keeping their draft picks as rookies, giving them ample time to showcase their full potential.

That’s why it seemed like a done deal that Elliott would be the Bengals’ kicker come Week 1 of the regular season. However, the Bengals also re-signed veteran Randy Bullock earlier in the offseason, which ultimately gave them insurance in case Elliott turned into a disaster.

In the process, Bullock has made just about every kick in camp and looked like the superior kicker. That continued Wednesday as Bullock was perfect on all of his attempts, while Elliott was a disaster:

Follow
Jay Morrison @JayMorrisonCMG
Rough day for rookie kicker Jake Elliott. Misses from 45 and 53 and two from 54. Only made the 50. Bullock 4 for 4. #Bengals
3:42 PM - Aug 16, 2017 · Cincinnati, OH
Replies 1 1 Retweet 1 1 like
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Follow
Paul Dehner Jr. @pauldehnerjr
We will see what happens in final 3 games, far from over, but no doubt Randy Bullock has been better than Jake Elliott thus far.
3:56 PM - Aug 16, 2017
6 6 Replies 5 5 Retweets 21 21 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Elliott will not be able to have many more misses, especially on PATs, if he’s to give the Bengals’ coaching staff enough confidence to keep him on the final roster. We saw this team lose far too many close games in 2016 that could have been wins had the kicking situation been better. That can’t be allowed to happen again in 2017, which could mean Bullock winning the job over Elliott if this keeps up.

To his credit, Elliott did make a 45-yard field goal and convert his lone PAT in the Bengals’ preseason win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. However, that was overshadowed by Bullock converting his PAT and a pair of ~50-yard field goals, including a 54-yarder.

This has now become a highly-contested battle that could be decided in the next three preseason games, beginning Saturday against the Kansas City Chiefs. Elliott still has plenty of time to get a leg up in this race, but there’s no question Bullock is very much a threat to win it as well.
Reply/Quote
Bullock cut: $0 dead cap space, 0 wasted draft picks
Elliott cut: $277k dead cap space, 1 wasted 5th round pick

I really think it'll come down to Mike Brown math on who makes it, not who's better.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
If this continues and bullock gets cut then that tells you a lot about how we handle things and it's not about winning then
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Oh that's just... Just such great news  Whatever

As others have said, it's likely going to be Bullock that gets the boot. Mike has proven time and time again he's a cheap, greedy SOB and he's not going to eat a couple hundred thousand $$$ to send Elliott packing. Even if Bullock rightfully wins the competition (and he's clearly running away with it), I'd bet just about anything Elliott still gets the job.

Still can't believe we took this guy in the 5th round as Gonzalez fell to the 7th  Whatever Hell we could have gotten Elliott as an undrafted FA and not had to worry about Mike losing some of his precious money.

Whoops! Nice going, FO  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I hope Elliot improves because I have 0 faith in Bullock to make kicks when it actually matters.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 12:36 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bullock cut: $0 dead cap space, 0 wasted draft picks
Elliott cut: $277k dead cap space, 1 wasted 5th round pick

I really think it'll come down to Mike Brown math on who makes it, not who's better.

There is also the fact that Bullock has a one year deal, I believe, and if he has a good season he would command significant dollars.  

Elliott has not missed a FG or a PAT in a game yet, and he has been kicking the ball off deep in the end zone with hang time.  All this practice drama won't mean squat if Elliott has the better %s in the games.  
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 01:06 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: If this continues and bullock gets cut then that tells you a lot about how we handle things and it's not about winning then

Bullock missed a kick and cost us a game in 2016. That is also a part of the evaluation process (think of Nugent and his killing us) as is youth.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
We all know that if Elliot shows any sign of life that he will be held on to. His leash is significantly longer than Bullocks.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 09:15 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Bullock missed a kick and cost us a game in 2016. That is also a part of the evaluation process (think of Nugent and his killing us) as is youth.

If Bullock didn't miss that kick, the Bengals would have been 7-8-1, still a crappy record. However, it could have resulted in the Bengals not getting John Ross, who I very much like.

So....thanks Randy!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Anyone know how Gonzalez is doing in Cleveland?
Reply/Quote
I watched the Tampa-Jacksonville game last night while getting some work done -- the kickers in that game were terrible.

It might be wise to trade Elliot, "our 5th round draft pick" to one of these two teams for another need on our own roster.

Who would you guys want from Jacksonville or Tampa Bay, that we could realistically get, for a 5th round kicker? (Probably wise to call it a 5th round kicker instead of a "rookie that's struggling at practices, scrimmages, and shanked a kickoff in the only game)
Reply/Quote
I will say this. If the current trend continues I can see Elliott suffering an "injury" that lands him on IR, with possible return and we roll with Bullock. If Bullock excels Elliott's injury will force him out all year. If Bullock struggles Elliott will be miraculously healed.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 11:01 AM)BoBengal Wrote: I watched the Tampa-Jacksonville game last night while getting some work done -- the kickers in that game were terrible.

It might be wise to trade Elliot, "our 5th round draft pick" to one of these two teams for another need on our own roster.

Who would you guys want from Jacksonville or Tampa Bay, that we could realistically get, for a 5th round kicker? (Probably wise to call it a 5th round kicker instead of a "rookie that's struggling at practices, scrimmages, and shanked a kickoff in the only game)

I agree. Trade Elliot and let Bullock do the kicking. Is Doug Martin or Mike Evans available? lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 12:22 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I agree. Trade Elliot and let Bullock do the kicking. Is Doug Martin or Mike Evans available? lol

Even if Doug Martin was available (he probably is), he has a $7m cap hit this year, all in base salary, and ran for 2.9ypc last year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 11:01 AM)BoBengal Wrote: I watched the Tampa-Jacksonville game last night while getting some work done -- the kickers in that game were terrible.

No one going to trade for a player everyone knows is going to be cut.

And when you say shanked kickoff are you talking about the squib?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Go for six and two, kickers become irrelevant.

Mellow

Seriously, though, Elliott likely isn't going anywhere. Better to build than to buy for the Bengals, and Elliott has room to build.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals wanted us to appreciate Nugent.
Reply/Quote
All I care about is what they do in games. If they both kick about the same, you go with the young guy and not the 30 year old journeyman and it has nothing to do with who is cheaper.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 08:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There is also the fact that Bullock has a one year deal, I believe, and if he has a good season he would command significant dollars.  

Elliott has not missed a FG or a PAT in a game yet, and he has been kicking the ball off deep in the end zone with hang time.  All this practice drama won't mean squat if Elliott has the better %s in the games.  

True, but it is a bit of a concern.

Elliott isn't helping himself in practice that is for sure and Bullock is helping himself.

God helps those who help themselves. Mellow
Reply/Quote
I'm starting to feel like this is a competition to see who can win the job of "that guy who keeps missing kicks".

Me thinks the Bengals should still have their eyes open looking for alternatives.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote