Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals players considering silent protest
(09-09-2020, 03:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Just my opinion, but I don't see why both can't exist in the same arena; entertainment for the fans and a platform for the players. I know some will say, 'just shut up and play' but these guys are human beings, who have a huge platform and may feel obligated to use it in whatever way they feel is best...even if not everyone agrees with them.

My personal take on it is that whatever they decide to do, it won't affect the actual game, so it's not going to get in the way of my entertainment at all. Whether they kneel, stay in the locker room or do nothing, I'll still be rooting hard as hell once the game starts.

I was proud of the way they handled it before. It was well thought out and sent a good message. However, knowing the impact kneeling has on some fans, why go that rout? Kneeling is petty. Marching to the underground railroad freedom center sends a message of hope. 

(09-09-2020, 03:10 PM)Skidooboy Wrote: soo somebody deleted my post? that's freedom right there

It's obvious you have not read the CoC. I suggest you do so before posting again. In addition, you ignored just about everything in the OP.

(09-09-2020, 03:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You absolutely can.

Play video games. Read a book. Go for a run. Avoid watching/reading the news. Change the channel (or look away) when it happens if you don't want to see/hear.

Plenty of ways to avoid it.

Fair enough. However, none of the things you mention are things I like to do and I'm not 14 anymore so entertaining myself is not as fun as it used to be. Hell, I get cramps getting out of bed in the morning.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 03:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/5/21281327/call-of-duty-black-lives-matter-update-modern-warfare
(One of many games that did something similar.)

And now Madden 21 is adding Kaepernick in as a FA, with an 81 OVR (7 higher than when he last played in 2016) which is better than Cam Newton, Ryan Tannehill, Joe Burrow, Derek Carr, etc.

It is inescapable even in escapist entertainment.

Play a different game. Stop with the excuses.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The political statements aren't new to me and I've learned to accept them as normal at this point.

I'm more tired of people alienating one another for having differing opinions. I think we have polarizing ways of viewing things that don't represent reality when reality is the grey in the middle--between the opposing views. I wish people would just hear one another out. We are getting screwed by both political parties anyways.

I don't think it's necessarily a good decision to protest while you are supposed to be honoring the union that the flag is supposed to represent. It seems divisive to choose this time to raise awareness. But overall they are being patriotic by having the message of striving for a more just society.

This is just the beginning in terms of athletes speaking out about social matters. We live in challenging times and need to evolve as a country. Everyone is capable of improving themselves and their community. I believe in striving to make myself better, my community better, and my country better. I believe in the union that this country represents. I believe in creating a better and more just society. I also believe in doing that in a respectful manner in which I work together with those around me--no matter their view or political orientation. I believe in democracy.

The police have a tough job in the inner city. The residents have a tough life as well. I don't blame either the police or residents of the inner city for what goes down. The root of the problem is the fact that the ghetto exists. There was once a prison experiment done on willing participants that resulted in people treating each other inhumanely. Put into the situation of the ghetto, things get quite hazy. We are blaming one another when we should be blaming the system. The fact that the system's broken leads me to believe there is a long road ahead for us until we see things improve.

I think the way of the future will be though agriculture. We need the poor involved in agriculture. It's a way for them to have a chance to overcome. Being involved in the food industry will provide them healthy food as a starting point. We need to rethink our cities and how we design poor communities.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 03:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I was proud of the way they handled it before. It was well thought out and sent a good message. However, knowing the impact kneeling has on some fans, why go that rout? Kneeling is petty. Marching to the underground railroad freedom center sends a message of hope. 

It's obvious you have not read the CoC. I suggest you do so before posting again. In addition, you ignored just about everything in the OP.

Fair enough. However, none of the things you mention are things I like to do and I'm not 14 anymore so entertaining myself is not as fun as it used to be. Hell, I get cramps getting out of bed in the morning.

I was simply giving examples. There are plenty of other things to do that do not involve looking at a screen or listening to some audio.
Or if that's really all you like to do, you could just stop letting something bother you that literally does not impact your life other than you disagreeing with it.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I don’t want them to protest during or around the game. If they do, just stay in the locker room, don’t kneel.

I really don’t get what they think they’re accomplishing by doing any minor protest around the game. Play football on sundays. Get out and work in the community other days to actually affect change to issues you see. Kneeling or staying in the locker room isn’t going to fix any injustices. Lead by example, not by meaningless symbolic gestures.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 03:33 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: PLEASE STOP WITH THESE THREADS.. LETS TALK FOOTBALL

Don't we have a political thread somewhere? If not.. how about we create one.. hell if we created a Dalton thread im sure we can do the same for these type of posts

Every member has the option to NOT view or post in any thread not of their liking. For instance, I don't find uni threads very interesting, so I skip right past them.  
Reply/Quote
It's less than two minutes and a token gesture that has no real bearing on anything. Who gives a shit what they do? I don't care if they do a collective moon.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 03:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Every member has the option to NOT view or post in any thread not of their liking. For instance, I don't find uni threads very interesting, so I skip right past them.  

As my point was.. they created a page for the Dalton threads for a reason.. do the same for these.. simple .. you can go to that Topic and talk non football... Seems simple to me
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 03:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: As my point was.. they created a page for the Dalton threads for a reason.. do the same for these.. simple .. you can go to that Topic and talk non football... Seems simple to me

You can also just read the title of the thread and decide if you care to go into it or not.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 03:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Every member has the option to NOT view or post in any thread not of their liking. For instance, I don't find uni threads very interesting, so I skip right past them.  

Agreed. I am ambivalent to the continued protest/sports diatribe. I will enjoy watching the Bengals this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 02:55 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I would prefer they not protest at all. They made their statement already and we know how they feel. Sports fans are going to get tired, if not already, of getting hit in the face with this every day. You can't get away from it anywhere. Sports is supposed to be entertaining.

I get where you're coming from. I also get that a majority of the players are black and feel like they can't get away from the issues they are protesting.

Whatever happens.... I assure you the game will entertain you. This time last year, they didn't even broadcast the national anthem for our season opener... They're only doing it now in the hopes that something happens.

Also... I think by this point, we're ALL aware of these issues. It's only been 100 straight days of coverage. File me away in the "I don't care what they do, I'm gonna watch the game with my friend I haven't seen since pre Covid 19, and enjoy my damn self" category.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Put on your color rush and hush it!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 02:58 PM)P W Wrote: Wondering if Mike Brown had anything to say about it.

I would guess he voiced an opinion but didn't lay down any laws on it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 03:55 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Agreed. I am ambivalent to the continued protest/sports diatribe. I will enjoy watching the Bengals this year.

Yup...if I can keep watching this franchise after the lost decade (complete embarrassment) of the 90's and almost 30 years of no playoff wins, it's going to take helluva lot more than some well-intentioned protesting to turn me away. Come Sunday, regardless of what they do before the game, I'll be screaming at my TV and getting my drunk on just like always. Drunk
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 03:55 PM)jason Wrote: I get where you're coming from. I also get that a majority of the players are black and feel like they can't get away from the issues they are protesting.

Whatever happens.... I assure you the game will entertain you. This time last year, they didn't even broadcast the national anthem for our season opener... They're only doing it now in the hopes that something happens.

Also... I think by this point, we're ALL aware of these issues. It's only been 100 straight days of coverage. File me away in the "I don't care what they do, I'm gonna watch the game with my friend I haven't seen since pre Covid 19, and enjoy my damn self" category.

I was reading this and for some reason I had a thought. Maybe we assume it's a kneeling or locker room thing because that's what was thrown at us. Maybe it's a respectable gesture and also something that still honors the flag? Maybe that's why we're not being told? The underground railroad march was by far the best message I've seen from any sports organization. With the leadership in the clubhouse and FO, this may be something just as classy and not offensive to one side or the other? Now, I kind of look forward to seeing what they do. After all, if your going to send a message, show the rest in the sports world how it should be done. Lead by example.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 04:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I was reading this and for some reason I had a thought. Maybe we assume it's a kneeling or locker room thing because that's what was thrown at us. Maybe it's a respectable gesture and also something that still honors the flag? Maybe that's why we're not being told? The underground railroad march was by far the best message I've seen from any sports organization. With the leadership in the clubhouse and FO, this may be something just as classy and not offensive to one side or the other? Now, I kind of look forward to seeing what they do. After all, if your going to send a message, show the rest in the sports world how it should be done. Lead by example.

As long as it's not the 'collective moon' that McC mentioned. LOL
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 03:55 PM)jason Wrote: I get where you're coming from. I also get that a majority of the players are black and feel like they can't get away from the issues they are protesting.

To me, this is one of the biggest driving forces behind the whole thing.  No professional athlete wants to be the guy not joining in. It's basically peer pressure.

I don't want to know who's wearing slogans or doing token gestures.  I want to know who's working behind the scenes to actually accomplish something.  And, as far as I can tell, the answer to that is a really big nobody.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 04:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I was reading this and for some reason I had a thought. Maybe we assume it's a kneeling or locker room thing because that's what was thrown at us. Maybe it's a respectable gesture and also something that still honors the flag? Maybe that's why we're not being told? The underground railroad march was by far the best message I've seen from any sports organization. With the leadership in the clubhouse and FO, this may be something just as classy and not offensive to one side or the other? Now, I kind of look forward to seeing what they do. After all, if your going to send a message, show the rest in the sports world how it should be done. Lead by example.

It may go against whatever sideline social distancing measures are in place, but if I were making the call I'd have them stand arms locked with the players beside them with they're heads bowed during the anthem. At it's conclusion take an uncommonly long knee before hitting the field. No disrespect to anyone or anything, and attention drawn.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 02:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm glad that the team is discussing it. I hope they do not insult each other if they have differing views on the matter.

Of course I prefer they pay respect to the flag and for which it stands, but if they don't. Oh well; I'll still be rooting for them to beat SD

Feel the same way as Bfine...
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 02:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm glad that the team is discussing it. I hope they do not insult each other if they have differing views on the matter.

Of course I prefer they pay respect to the flag and for which it stands, but if they don't. Oh well; I'll still be rooting for them to beat SD

This is THE attitude for people to have on the matter; you like it? Great! Nothing will change your day.
You don't like it? "Oh well, it's something I don't agree with, but it's their right to express themselves as they feel. Now, on to the Chargers!"

Bengalstripes also had a phenomenal post above, so no need to repeat it; this is an entirely grey area (as is life in general), thus there shouldn't be a, "side."

Just roll with punches and enjoy what you enjoy.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote