Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals players considering silent protest
Have already had to delete a couple of post that took the political route. It's actually been a good conversation so far, and there really isn't any need for it to become political at all. 
Reply/Quote
Also... It seems a lil strange to even play the anthem in an empty stadium. Again; the anthem is not broadcast for run of the mill weekly games in other words, it's performed for the paying customers in attendance. Will the concession stands be open as well?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I don’t have a problem with player protests. For those that do just tune in after kickoff.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 03:40 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: The political statements aren't new to me and I've learned to accept them as normal at this point.

I'm more tired of people alienating one another for having differing opinions. I think we have polarizing ways of viewing things that don't represent reality when reality is the grey in the middle--between the opposing views. I wish people would just hear one another out. We are getting screwed by both political parties anyways.

I don't think it's necessarily a good decision to protest while you are supposed to be honoring the union that the flag is supposed to represent. It seems divisive to choose this time to raise awareness. But overall they are being patriotic by having the message of striving for a more just society.

This is just the beginning in terms of athletes speaking out about social matters. We live in challenging times and need to evolve as a country species. Everyone is capable of improving themselves and their community. I believe in striving to make myself better, my community better, and my country better. I believe in the union that this country represents. I believe in creating a better and more just society. I also believe in doing that in a respectful manner in which I work together with those around me--no matter their view or political orientation. I believe in democracy.

The police have a tough job in the inner city. The residents have a tough life as well. I don't blame either the police or residents of the inner city for what goes down. The root of the problem is the fact that the ghetto exists. There was once a prison experiment done on willing participants that resulted in people treating each other inhumanely. Put into the situation of the ghetto, things get quite hazy. We are blaming one another when we should be blaming the system. The fact that the system's broken leads me to believe there is a long road ahead for us until we see things improve.

I think the way of the future will be though agriculture. We need the poor involved in agriculture. It's a way for them to have a chance to overcome. Being involved in the food industry will provide them healthy food as a starting point. We need to rethink our cities and how we design poor communities.

Well said but I did change one word.  Wink
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 04:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Have already had to delete a couple of post that took the political route. It's actually been a good conversation so far, and there really isn't any need for it to become political at all. 

OK, I see how this works. You can post NFL taking a political stance on their take on social justice while keeping other major social justice issues out of the conversation. Sorry, you disappoint me. 

Whatever
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 05:07 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: OK, I see how this works. You can post NFL taking a political stance on their take on social justice while keeping other major social justice issues out of the conversation. Sorry, you disappoint me. 

Whatever

???

This topic is specific to our team possibly doing something and how our fans feel about that possibility. It has nothing to do with any larger political context or conversation. Those can be had in P&R and all those things can be discussed.
Reply/Quote
I legit don't care.

I'm not a hypocrite. When I'm watching at home, I don't stand for the Anthem. I don't remove my hat. Hell, more often than not I use the Anthem as my cue for a quick bathroom break or snack run. At least these players are using the Anthem as an actual platform for their convictions. That's more than the blatant disregard I show.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
To me it's all about rights. The Bengals and the rest of the players throughout the league have a right to protest social injustice anyway they want. I (...and you for that matter) have a right to watch and/or support the NFL or not.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 04:28 PM)jason Wrote: Also... It seems a lil strange to even play the anthem in an empty stadium. Again; the anthem is not broadcast for run of the mill weekly games  in other words, it's performed for the paying customers in attendance. Will the concession stands be open as well?

If you're watching on TV you never see the Anthem played, it's at a commercial break. They might show it this season or they might not.
Reply/Quote
I just wanna watch football. I'll tune in after kickoff
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 04:14 PM)McC Wrote:   I want to know who's working behind the scenes to actually accomplish something.  And, as far as I can tell, the answer to that is a really big nobody.

You can't have it both ways.  You can't say you want it "behind the scenes" but at the same time out in the open so you can see it.

From what I have read over the years there are tons of NFL players who give back to their communities in many ways.  So I am sure lots of them are donating money and time to fight for change and social justice.

But I know why some would assume differently.
Reply/Quote
Here is what it all boils down to. We can't control what other people want to say.

If you stop watching football because they protest for social justice then you are basically punching yourself in the face just because someone has a different political opinion. None of the protests effect the game in any way.

And many of the same people who claim that players should not be allowed to protest for social justice would have their heads explode if the NFL made a rule that no player could ever point to the sky after scoring a td or publicly thank god for what he accomplished on the football field. To them it is not about players speaking out. It is about players speaking out on an opinion they don't like.
Reply/Quote
GOD NOOO!! PLEASE NO!!!! IM GONNA HAVE TO SKIP THRE 1ST 2 MINUTES OF THE GAME AINT I?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 05:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I just wanna watch football. I'll tune in after kickoff

YUP.. AFTER KICKOFF FOR ME TOO.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 03:33 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: PLEASE STOP WITH THESE THREADS.. LETS TALK FOOTBALL

Don't we have a political thread somewhere? If not.. how about we create one.. hell if we created a Dalton thread im sure we can do the same for these type of posts

What did you think this thread was going to be about when you clicked on it?
Reply/Quote
When this thread gets too political for JN can it be moved to the P&R forum instead of locked?
Reply/Quote
I don't have a problem in people using what ever platform they have to promote a cause they believe in. From an outsider I don't see kneeling as disrespecting the flag, I actually see it as honouring what many Americans I know say it stands for Freedom. I'm not an American and my opinion probably doesn't carry any weight in this discussion anyway lol
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 06:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is what it all boils down to.  We can't control what other people want to say.

If you stop watching football because they protest for social justice then you are basically punching yourself in the face just because someone has a different political opinion.  None of the protests effect the game in any way.

And many of the same people who claim that players should not be allowed to protest for social justice would have their heads explode if the NFL made a rule that no player could ever point to the sky after scoring a td or publicly thank god for what he accomplished on the football field.  To them it is not about players speaking out.  It is about players speaking out on an opinion they don't like.

I have not seen anyone say NFL players should not be permitted to protest social justice. I see many who think the NFL permitting it and promoting it is a very bad business decision and not consistent with allowing players to protest their views in the past.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Here’s my 2 cents, which is about what it’s worth. When Kap first started kneeling i thought it was disrespectful to those who died fighting for this country. I had the the chance to speak to 1 active sergeant and 2 retired combat vets of the gulf war era. Their take was they were fine with it, that’s why they served the country. To defend our freedoms. I figured if they were ok with It I should be too.

I realize Vietnam era vets and beyond may have a different take and I would respect their opinions as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 05:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If you're watching on TV you never see the Anthem played, it's at a commercial break. They might show it this season or they might not.

They'll show it Sunday... It's a damn storylines now. They showed it the Sunday following the president's "get that son of a ***** off the field" remarks too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote