Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals players considering silent protest
(09-09-2020, 07:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: When this thread gets too political for JN can it be moved to the P&R forum instead of locked?

I'd like that too... I've held off on a couple of responses because I figured they'd turn it that way. I don't wanna do that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I don't understand how people who are so proud of our flag can get so offended when people use their freedom of speech/freedom of protest to peacefully raise awareness to an issue that matters to them.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 10:15 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: I don't understand how people who are so proud of our flag can get so offended when people use their freedom of speech/freedom of protest to peacefully raise awareness to an issue that matters to them.

100% agree.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 10:15 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: I don't understand how people who are so proud of our flag can get so offended when people use their freedom of speech/freedom of protest to peacefully raise awareness to an issue that matters to them.

How many friends, family members, coworkers have you had come home with one draped over their coffin for defending this Nation?

I've already given my stance on the issue and can be understanding of those that choose to kneel. I simply ask we try to understand why some are offended when folks do not pay respects to it for their own agenda. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 10:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How many friends, family members, coworkers have you had come home with one draped over their coffin for defending this Nation?

I've already given my stance on the issue and can be understanding of those that choose to kneel. I simply ask we try to understand why some are offended when folks do not pay respects to it for their own agenda. 

Once again I completely agree with Bfine.
Reply/Quote
My preference, in order: Stand > Stay in locker room >> Kneel > Sit on the bench

With that said I want to remind one and all how Paul Brown began training camp in Cleveland and Cincinnati. The first thing he taught his team in training camp was how to stand together, as one, for the national anthem. He considered it an exercise in teamwork. I know Mike Brown remembers this.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 10:33 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My preference, in order:  Stand > Stay in locker room >> Kneel > Sit on the bench

With that said I want to remind one and all how Paul Brown began training camp in Cleveland and Cincinnati.  The first thing he taught his team in training camp was how to stand together, as one, for the national anthem.  He considered it an exercise in teamwork.  I know Mike Brown remembers this.

Wink ThumbsUp Rock On
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 10:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How many friends, family members, coworkers have you had come home with one draped over their coffin for defending this Nation?

I agree with the sentiment of the post you quoted, and your post as well.

As to what you said... Understanding (or at least trying to) would go a long way to putting our discourse in this country back on track.

In summation... Less taking a stand, and more trying to understand.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 03:33 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: PLEASE STOP WITH THESE THREADS.. LETS TALK FOOTBALL

Don't we have a political thread somewhere? If not.. how about we create one.. hell if we created a Dalton thread im sure we can do the same for these type of posts

Well said.Agree.
Reply/Quote
I'm a retired Vet and I have no problem with the protest during the playing of the Anthem. One of the reasons we serve is to give people choices. That's part of Democracy. If you don't like it, you have a choice to turn it off, look away, walk away or stay, stand and honor it. Your choice! More power to ya either way you choose.
Reply/Quote
I don't care what the players do for political reasons off the field, as long as it's legal. I would rather not be bothered with politics when I'm trying to unwind and have fun by watching my favorite team play. If they want to promote it during interviews that's cool, but please keep it off the field, because I feel like I'm losing my sanity by seeing political stuff everywhere I turn.
Reply/Quote

Just as many as you. The last time I tried to add it up is was well over 30 co-workers who had died in training accidents, combat, or suicide. That’s just the ones that I know of.

These protests aren’t directed at the flag or the military. That’s just the noise of others trying to control the narrative. The freedom we have today to exercise our constitutional rights are the legacy of those who sacrificed. Exercising our rights as Americans is a living monument to their courage and selfless service.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 02:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Per Tyler Dragon:

'Multiple sources within the organization informed The Enquirer that the Bengals have had internal discussions about staying in the locker room or kneeling during the national anthem before Sunday’s game kicks off at Paul Brown Stadium.

A final verdict hasn’t been made, but the team is contemplating both silent protests in efforts to raise more awareness about police brutality and systemic racism.'

Obviously, this subject can be controversial, and often leads to threads getting closed. I'm just curious to see how much support there will be for the players if they do choose to kneel or stay in the locker room during the anthem. No need to bring your political views into it; just wanting to know how you'll feel/react if they do choose to go the silent protest route.

If the Brown family is ok with it, then I don't have a big issue with it.  The players have a right to peacefully demonstrate/protest on their own time.  However, on game days they are acting as employees of the team and ownership has every right to tell them not to demonstrate.  I also don't feel players should be peer pressured into demonstrating by coaches, management, and/or other players.  

Personally, I find kneeling during the anthem disrespectful and doing so scores no points with me towards their cause.  I don't have an issue with most of the other NFL protests like staying in the locker room during the anthem or locking arms with teammates.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 03:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Just my opinion, but I don't see why both can't exist in the same arena; entertainment for the fans and a platform for the players. I know some will say, 'just shut up and play' but these guys are human beings, who have a huge platform and may feel obligated to use it in whatever way they feel is best...even if not everyone agrees with them.

My personal take on it is that whatever they decide to do, it won't affect the actual game, so it's not going to get in the way of my entertainment at all. Whether they kneel, stay in the locker room or do nothing, I'll still be rooting hard as hell once the game starts.

I agree and add BECAUSE what they do is entertainment to us they have a responsibility to use their platform for positive change. So many people that say they should shut up and play are the first people to admonish a player for bad behavior because they are supposed to be “role models” to our kids. You can’t have it both ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 09:47 AM)fullonbehavior Wrote: I agree and add BECAUSE what they do is entertainment to us they have a responsibility to use their platform for positive change. So many people that say they should shut up and play are the first people to admonish a player for bad behavior because they are supposed to be “role models” to our kids. You can’t have it both ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I have no issue with the players using their platform. Rep.
Reply/Quote
I'm of a similar mindset as bfine.

Personally, I don't like the protesting occurring during the anthem (or anytime during the game, really) but it ultimately doesn't really bother me because it doesn't really mean anything anymore except to those doing the protesting. If they REALLY wanted to effect change, maybe they should do something MEANINGFUL and, let's face it, kneeling during the anthem does virtually nothing to end police violence.

BTW, for those complaining about the people complaining about the protesting, remember this: just as it's the players right to protest during the anthem, it's other people's rights to complain about the players protesting.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 09:47 AM)fullonbehavior Wrote:  So many people that say they should shut up and play are the first people to admonish a player for bad behavior because they are supposed to be “role models” to our kids. You can’t have it both ways

Rep.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 09:47 AM)fullonbehavior Wrote:  So many people that say they should shut up and play are the first people to admonish a player for bad behavior because they are supposed to be “role models” to our kids. You can’t have it both ways

While I get your point, remember that to most of those people that you're talking about, kneeling during the anthem is a sign of "disrespect" and would be considered "bad behavior" so I don't see it as them being inconsistent.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

It does not matter because many people who have had friends and loved ones come home with a flag draped over their coffin have no problem with players kneeling during the anthem.

I am not saying you are not entitled to your own opinion.  But you don't speak for all those people.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 11:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It does not matter because many people who have had friends and loved ones come home with a flag draped over their coffin have no problem with players kneeling during the anthem.

I am not saying you are not entitled to your own opinion.  But you don't speak for all those people.

How do you know that? You stating that as a fact??
Reply/Quote