Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals re-sign Brandon LaFell
(03-08-2017, 06:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So much for WR in the first round this year. And if a WR IS selected in the first, that WR likely won't see as many snaps as we would hope.

Happy to see LaFell back, as I thought he was a solid contributor. But I was hoping to allow him to walk, sign a first-round WR, and then have that WR immediately plugged in as the WR2.

Now the only thing to wait on is how much did it cost the Bengals to retain? I'm hoping it's under $5 million per year, but knowing our luck, it's going to be like $7-8 million per year. Or maybe I'm just being a Pessimistic Patty.

Why on earth, even without the Lafell signing, would we draft a wide receiver in the first round this year?

We have AJ, Eiffert, and Boyd (who we drafted in the second round last year). 

This team has so many more issues than wide receiver. Offensive and defensive lines, linebacker, secondary, running back, etc. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:41 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: We signed a guy on Day 1. Won't sign another until next week.

Wrong. They'll re-sign more...but just of their former players. The outside FAs come next week.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bye Whit. go get your ring.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
What a message this sends to the big 3 huh?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:45 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Two years over 10 million. Don't know the specifics.

I suppose we shall have to hear the details, but I can't imagine we're the winners of free agency if we just spent a third of our total allowance on a hometown discount for LaFell.
Reply/Quote
I don't think re-signing LaFell was a bad thing at all. Glad to have him back. I also think he will do better this year with a full, healthy training camp.

On the flip, it is odd that he is the 1st signing. There are much more pressing needs than Brandon.
Reply/Quote
Not a bad re-signing. Just don't let this affect a WR in the draft. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:48 PM)McC Wrote: Bye Whit.  go get your ring.

You realize they can resign more than 1 player, right? 

I get where youre coming from, but lets not start bitching before we actually lose guys. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Not sure about this. He's nice to have back, but we shouldn't be making any moves until we know for sure what is up with the big 3. Some of that money could have been used to bridge a gap for Whit/Dre.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:48 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why on earth, even without the Lafell signing, would we draft a wide receiver in the first round this year?

This team has so many more issues than wide receiver. Offensive and defensive lines, secondary, running back, etc. 

Maybe as a BPA move but yeah, I wasn't wanting that either. There is some great front 7 talent in this draft and we need LBs and DEs (and then OLs in the middle rounds). 

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:48 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why on earth, even without the Lafell signing, would we draft a wide receiver in the first round this year?

This team has so many more issues than wide receiver. Offensive and defensive lines, secondary, running back, etc. 

Well, here's why....
OL - No interior OL worth taking at #9 this year, plus this team won't give up on Ogbuehi or start a rookie at LT if Whitworth isn't back.
DL - Also no one worth taking unless Garrett, Allen, or Thomas falls
RB - This RB class is the deepest it's been in a long time. Can find better value at RB later than WR
DB - Unless the Bengals would actually move Williams to nickel LB, their safeties are set. They also don't need to spend yet another first rounder on a CB. This CB class is also very deep and many experts have said you can get a first or second round quality CB in the fourth or fifth round this year.

The only other sound selection without overly reaching would be LB. Now with LaFell signed, I think LB could be next best option if The Big 3 DL are not available at 9.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:50 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You realize they can resign more than 1 player, right? 

I get where youre coming from, but lets not start bitching before we actually lose guys. 

LaFell gets 5.  Peko will get at least 3.  TJ Johnson gets over  mil and maybe more if anyone ups the offer.  That's 9 out of 15.  What's left for Whit?  We already know Zeitler is gone.  Maybe we keep Rex.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: Not sure about this. He's nice to have back, but we shouldn't be making any moves until we know for sure what is up with the big 3. Some of that money could have been used to bridge a gap for Whit/Dre.

Really though we should be able to do this and get Whit, Dre, and Zeit. Remember we paid Whit 9 mill last year so at most he will only cost us $5 mill of additional cap and that is if we tag him. 

If we really need the money, cut Adam Jones, Michael Johnson, and maybe Rey M (the only reason I'm easier on Rey than others on this board is that he's in a contract year so I think he might have one last good run in him). 

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:47 PM)muskiesfan Wrote:
That's fair. About what I expected LaFell would get and deserved by some team. Less than Sanu got last year and he's better than Sanu.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

This team has so many more issues than wide receiver. Offensive and defensive lines, linebacker, secondary, running back, etc. 

Mike Williams.   If Bengals would pull down Mike Williams, with AJ Green we would be unstoppable.  
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Meanwhile Dalton will have no time to throw to him with an OL of Ogbuehi/Boling/Bodine/Westerman/Fisher.

I guess I will wait to see the yr/$ to judge it, but if they are paying him proper #2 money, I don't like it. Even less so with "only $15m" in cap space.

Edit: I hope this doesn't keep the Bengals from looking in the draft or FA for a deep threat.

Meanwhile I'm sure that they are still trying to bring back Dre, Whit and Z.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:53 PM)McC Wrote: LaFell gets 5.  Peko will get at least 3.  TJ Johnson gets over  mil and maybe more if anyone ups the offer.  That's 9 out of 15.  What's left for Whit?  We already know Zeitler is gone.  Maybe we keep Rex.

I don't think Peko will be re-signed but if we did re-sign him at $3 million that would still save us $1.5 million -- we were paying him $4.5 million last year. 

TJ Johnson getting a $1 million is the same story -- he made $1.7 million last year.  Edit: I see now -- he was signed for a million more than he made last year $600k. My bad. Still not going to impact other signings though. 

Reply/Quote
He's familiar. We all know how important familiar is with the Security Blanket Browns. He was decent. He didn't scare anybody. How about getting a few more guys that do scare opponents and stop worrying so damn much about familiarity?

Last year's two rookies are capable of doing anything LaFell did. Wasted money.

Reply/Quote
It's better than what I expected. I was sure Peko or even Hunt would be the first signing. Brandon is technically second to TJ Johnson, but a better signing than I was expecting.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good signing, Lafell was solid and seemed to gain confidence from Andy as the year wore on.

Agree! He earned this contract whatever the numbers. I don't see WR at 9 happening. Sorry for those hoping so, but I don't see it going down.

Foster & Fournette are still the front runners imho. 
Reply/Quote