Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals re-sign Brandon LaFell
(03-08-2017, 08:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: From all appearances Marshall wanted to stay in New York. He didn't want to uproot his family, and he does a lot of work with the NFL Network in New York. It's highly unlikely he would have accepted 2yr/$12m from any other team.

I don't see anywhere in my post that I mentioned Jones (but now that you've brought him up, he did average 3.4 yards more per catch than LaFell, and LaFell will turn 31 this year). I just said that they need a deep threat to stretch the field. I don't think it's a terrible signing, but in the context of only spending $15m and LaFell is $5m of it, it sorta is.

I like Smith, but BL came in here on a "prove it deal" & he proved himself. Sounds like he wants to stay here and he is a weapon. An 86 yard receiving TD against 2016's #1 ranked defense proved that. 
Reply/Quote
Loved LaFell at 2.5 million. Kinda meh on him at 5 per. He's solid and stabilizes the position though. Not every move deserves a parade. This would be one of those that doesn't. Beats a blank though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It doesn't make or break our off-season but there's no complaining from me.

2 years isn't a big commitment it's not going to run us out of the WR market and it stabilizes the position some.
Reply/Quote
Meh. He's ok, but we need a deep threat as number two receiver.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:53 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Could've had Brandon Marshall for 6 mill.

And all the baggage he comes with. No thanks. 

Can't wait to see the shit show that goes down in NY when him and OBJ start to try to out-diva eachother. 

I'm glad we brought LaFell back. He was solid last year. He seemed to be the only guy that could catch TD's for most of the season. 

Reply/Quote
I'm fine with the contract.  Lafell isn't a flashy player, but he gained a year of experience with the team, gained increased confidence from his QB, and showed that he can be counted on.  He has already learned the system, and can hit the ground running this year.  What more do you need from a "bridge the gap" guy? 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 08:51 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I like Smith, but BL came in here on a "prove it deal" & he proved himself. Sounds like he wants to stay here and he is a weapon. An 86 yard receiving TD against 2016's #1 ranked defense proved that. 

Same...but what this really does is mean we don't have to draft a WR in the 1st Round.

We have too many needs to draft a WR.

Now we can go RB, DE, or LB.
Reply/Quote
Would have preferred Torrey Smith.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 09:57 PM)J24 Wrote: Would have preferred Torrey Smith.

Yeah...when you get into $5 million a year...you have to question if paying an extra million a year for Marshall was an option.

It said he can make upwards of $10 million over 2 years. That implies to me that there are incentives in it.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 10:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...when you get into $5 million a year...you have to question if paying an extra million a year for Marshall was an option.

It said he can make upwards of $10 million over 2 years. That implies to me that there are incentives in it.

Torrey probably gets a 1 year prove it  deal like Lafell did last year. Honestly it's a bad move by the Bengals they overpaid for a player of Lafells ability and they could have gotten a better player cheaper.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Lafell is like the chick in 10th grade who would dole you out hand jobs after a few busch lights.

You'd miss her next weekend at the party if she moved to Akron, but you'd get over it fast.

Probably find something better pretty easily too. Just have to look.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 10:20 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Lafell is like the chick in 10th grade who would dole you out hand jobs after a few busch lights.

You'd miss her next weekend at the party, but you'd get over it fast.

Oh yeah. Almost forgot. Happy women's day, everyone.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 10:20 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Lafell is like the chick in 10th grade who would dole you out hand jobs after a few busch lights.

You'd miss her next weekend at the party if she moved to Akron, but you'd get over it fast.

Damn, girls in your HS drank beer?  When I was in school a young lady would be cast out for all eternity if they did not have a luke-warm Mike's Hard Lemonade with them from the time they entered the party until the time they were inevitably kicked out for puking on my buddie's sofa.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 10:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...when you get into $5 million a year...you have to question if paying an extra million a year for Marshall was an option.

Just saw that about the incentives. Certainly makes me feel much better about the signing. Not that LaFell needs motivation as he seems like a true pro.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The more I think about the signing and looking over his stats last year the better I feel about it. First he ranked as one of the more solid 2nd WRs in the league. he also had very few drops, conducted himself professionally and if people remember played hurt throughout the year.

The contract is not a base 5 million a year.. it will have a base and a bonuses is what I heard.. so I will be very happy if he achieves 5 million next year since that will probably mean he has been very productive.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Meanwhile Dalton will have no time to throw to him with an OL of Ogbuehi/Boling/Bodine/Westerman/Fisher.

I guess I will wait to see the yr/$ to judge it, but if they are paying him proper #2 money, I don't like it. Even less so with "only $15m" in cap space.

Edit: I hope this doesn't keep the Bengals from looking in the draft or FA for a deep threat.

Dalton knows how to run the option, maybe we'll just line up with 6 O-lineman and a FB and option left, option right, pass to the FB in the flat and wear AJ Green out streaking down the opposite sideline.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 10:21 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Oh yeah. Almost forgot.  Happy women's day, everyone.

When is it ever going to be Men's day or Men's month or something?

Reply/Quote
I like the signing. It gives Andy a starting WR corp he is familiar with and allows us flexibility in the draft. Max of 10 mil over 2 is not much given the increase in the cap. LaFell is coming off a better year than Marvin or Mo. Starting 3 of AJ, LaFell, and Boyd is one of the more solid in the league.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:42 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Dalton knows how to run the option, maybe we'll just line up with 6 O-lineman and a FB and option left, option right, pass to the FB in the flat and wear AJ Green out streaking down the opposite sideline.  Ninja

He will probably get hit less running the option then dropping back for pass plays if we lose Witt and Z
Reply/Quote
Love this re-sign. LaFell filled MLJs shoes nicely with very similar production.
Reply/Quote