Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals re-sign Brandon LaFell
(03-08-2017, 10:21 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Oh yeah. Almost forgot.  Happy women's day, everyone.

How is it that they need  a day when they already have every day?  Seriously, what day isn't women's day?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 12:00 AM)The_WiseOne Wrote: He will probably get hit less running the option then dropping back for pass plays if we lose Witt and Z

Exactly!

Nothing against LaFell, I'm all for re-signing him. I'm all against the team limiting itself in free agency when it clearly has the cap room.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

It's also being reported that it's a 2 year deal.

I wanted him back after we brought back Whit.

Right now i am too concerned that Dalton won't have enough time to get the ball to his weapons.

Still, Lafell did well, still am for drafting John Ross or Corey Davis if they are the BPA. Pass rusher first though.

Then start working on the OL in round 2.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 12:30 AM)McC Wrote: How is it that they need  a day when they already have every day?  Seriously, what day isn't women's day?

They even get to wear vaginas on their heads.

I want to wear a penis on my head and run through those crowds of vaginas.
Reply/Quote
Glamour players sell jerseys, it's the Mike Brown way. That's not saying I didn't want Brandon back..just not sure he should be priority #1.

Something something about the games being won in the trenches.

Andy is going to have .5 seconds to throw the ball.

Maybe they are thinking about switching to read?

Reply/Quote
It sounds like there are some that are convinced that signing Lafell makes keeping the OL more difficult. Brandon is not taking some of Whit's money or Kevin's even. At least consider that if they lose Zeitler it's because they didn't want to pay the 12M/yr someone will pay, or Whit left because he wanted a better shot at a ring. T he's guys hit the market for a reason and the reason isn't Brandon Lafell. Im content with this being an average signing that brings continuity. He wasn't a burner but I like the reps the top 3 will get and maybe Core or a mid to late round rookie contribute. At least one position is week one ready.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

It's also being reported that it's a 2 year deal.

Great! So according to Mike Browns math we should have about 32.50 left. He can save all that to fill the gas tank on his Buick. FA is done in Cincy before it even begins. Awesome.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 01:49 AM)phil413 Wrote: It sounds like there are some that are convinced that signing Lafell makes keeping the OL more difficult. Brandon is not taking some of Whit's money or Kevin's even. At least consider that if they lose Zeitler it's because they didn't want to pay the 12M/yr someone will pay, or Whit left because he wanted a better shot at a ring. T he's guys hit the market for a reason and the reason isn't Brandon Lafell.  Im content with this being an average signing that brings continuity. He wasn't a burner but I like the reps the top 3 will get and maybe Core or a mid to late round rookie contribute.  At least one position is week one ready.

Boom! Well stated. 
Reply/Quote
Every one of you are crazy. I'll go ahead and be the bad guy. There will be no Davis, Williams or Ross now, there will be no dynamic offense in 2017.our only hope is to have a lights out defense. Which we've had top defenses, and still couldn't go far. Brandon lafell is signed and paid now, that means he plays!! No matter what the guy plays as #2. Then we got cody core next in line which in my mind is better then lafell. We will not get a wide out till like the 4th or 5th. Our only shot at a top offense is to take a chance on mixon or get a top tight end they could also use as receiver.or mark my words we won't win a playoff game!!
Reply/Quote
OK, Bengals.com reporting he has been resigned, so that is great news...and hopefully just the start. I wouldn't mind hearing somebody else signed before teams can start signing our players after 4 PM today. It would be great to hear somebody else resigned right before free agency starts.

We all saw LaFell has speed, runs great routes, great hands but is really great at getting both feet in at the sidelines, one of best I've seen in a Bengals uniform ever at that. If this team can avoid major injuries and for the most part have AJ Green, Lafell and Eifert at TE, Boyd as #3, maybe Core as # 4 or you can line up Eifert outside as a 4 WR set. Plus we have some depth in Core and Erickson and depth at TE after Eifert out most of 2016, so players got game time. AJ Green out forced other WR's to step up. Dalton had to learn to hit the open man, like in basketball. If this team can avoid the major injuries, we do have the passing weapons. We are deep in passing to the point I see no more need for free agents and draft picks here. Resigning LaFell makes it possible to move on to the areas of team not as deep as WR, TE and QB.

AJ Green can really get his feet in bounds working the sidelines and we found so can LaFell. Two guys like that can really spread the field sideline to sideline with Eifert and Boyd working a lot of field also. This bringing back targets Dalton has the timing down to is huge after losing Jones and Sanu last season after Dalton had his timing down with them. QB to WR/ TE timing takes time to develop. Going in with it is a great upside to 2017 season.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I was not a LaFell fan coming out of training camp last year, but he convinced me. He is a solid player and this is a solid signing, he's converted me to a JoJo fan. He stepped up last year as the only vet receiver playing with rookies when Green went down. And, in case everyone forgot, AJ did a pretty good job on his hamstring last year, let's not forget about that. How easily is he going to reinjure it this year since it was about to separate from the bone at the end of last season? We needed LaFell. That does not mean the Bengals tried to sign him "1st" priority, I'm sure they can multi task and they are talking to all of these players agents at the same time. LaFell just reached his deal first. And all this stuff about 1st round receiver is nonsense, we need help on the Defensive front 7 far more than we need another receiver. We can get a burner in the later rounds.
Reply/Quote
It's a solid resigning for a guy who came in and earned it. Now if they can move McCarron for a nice pick or 2 and reload in the draft and then sign 1 of Whit, Zeitler, or Dre along with at least 1 more outside free agent then we could be looking at another playoff run.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 09:27 AM)Crowe Wrote: It's a solid resigning for a guy who came in and earned it. Now if they can move McCarron for a nice pick or 2 and reload in the draft and then sign 1 of Whit, Zeitler, or Dre along with at least 1 more outside free agent then we could be looking at another playoff run.

Until we get the O Line together, and since McCarron is a low pay player, we better keep him around. If we can't block, we better have a very good back-up QB.  I don't really know how good McCarron is, but compared to Jackson and some of the other clunkers we have had, McCarron looks like Peyton Manning.  This does not mean other teams think he can be their franchise QB and want to trade top picks for him. We are probably dreaming on that one. We took him in round 5 and that's about what we would get for him.  With our O Line a big question that makes Dalton getting injured very possible. I'm for keeping the low paid McCarron one more year. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Doesn't look like anyone pointed this out yet. Torrey Smith ended up signing for $5m/yr as well. 3yr/$15m

In that light, I like the LaFell signing a bit less. Torrey Smith could have solved the deep threat need for the same money as LaFell, and is also 3-ish years younger.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Solid signing. Glad to see it.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 12:40 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I wanted him back after we brought back Whit.

Right now i am too concerned that Dalton won't have enough time to get the ball to his weapons.

Still, Lafell did well, still am for drafting John Ross or Corey Davis if they are the BPA. Pass rusher first though.

Then start working on the OL in round 2.

That's exactly right! Brandon LaFell won't see a football if Andy Dalton is under a pile of opposing defensive linemen. You can bet AJ Green is mad as can be right now and what running back in their right mind would come to Cincinnati?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 02:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That's exactly right!  Brandon LaFell won't see a football if Andy Dalton is under a pile of opposing defensive linemen.  You can bet AJ Green is mad as can be right now and what running back in their right mind would come to Cincinnati?

We only have one proven good O-lineman now. That is just plain sad. This is not how you run things, we should of atleast
gave Whitworth the Franchise tag. Don't care if it would of cost 13 million, that is money well spent and would of saved this
team. Now we will have to do something drastic to keep this Offense alive like pay Wagner tons of money or have Fisher or
Og play LT and get Dalton hurt for a year.

Our owner and FO have forgotten our priorities and this will trickle down to every player on our team, from our weapons as
you mention, to our RB's (doubt Rex wants to come back now) to our entire Defense that most likely will be tired from being
on the field too long. Shame, we could have a great Defense and Offense if we took care of the most important things first.
Reply/Quote
Torrey Smith went to the Eagles for $5 million a year.
Reply/Quote