Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals re-sign Brandon LaFell
(03-08-2017, 07:03 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Agree! He earned this contract whatever the numbers. I don't see WR at 9 happening. Sorry for those hoping so, but I don't see it going down.

Foster & Fournette are still the front runners imho. 

I wouldn't discount a panic reach for Cam Robinson, even though he ain't a LT, PA will swear he can't fit the square peg into the round hole.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:06 PM)McC Wrote: I wouldn't discount a panic reach for Cam Robinson, even though he ain't a LT, PA will swear he can't fit the square peg into the round hole.

Except this team hasn't reached on a first rounder in how many years?  There's no way that they reach for Robinson at #9.  They will take the BPA regardless - and it's not Robinson.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:06 PM)McC Wrote: I wouldn't discount a panic reach for Cam Robinson, even though he ain't a LT, PA will swear he can't fit the square peg into the round hole.

If they draft Robinson in the first, it had better be after they traded down. Twice.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

I considered adding to my previous post, " unless we lose both Z & Whit, then it could change", but Im not sure there will be an online worthy at 9. Perhaps Robinson though.

From a talent standpoint LF,Hooker, & Foster will probably be best players that possibly or may be available at 9.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:09 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Except this team hasn't reached on a first rounder in how many years?  There's no way that they reach for Robinson at #9.  They will take the BPA regardless - and it's not Robinson.

It's been awhile since they didn't have a LT.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I thought any player that re-signs with their current/former team can sign a deal now? And that the Thursday 4 PM rule only applied to outside FAs?
NFL calendar says teams went past date to resign players.  It says they are in part teams can negotiate with their own players, but it says nothing can really be signed until Thursday....Look, I hope he is resigned or being resigned.  AJ, LaFell, Boyd, Core, Eifert ......now if we can just have blockers ????

Bengals.com has no news on a signed contract. I hope this happens. We could use him back.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:13 PM)kevin Wrote: NFL calendar says teams went past date to resign players.  It says they are in part teams can negotiate with their own players, but it says nothing can really be signed until Thursday....Look, I hope he is resigned or being resigned.  AJ, LaFell, Boyd, Core, Eifert ......now if we can just have blockers ????

Bengals.com has no news on a signed contract.  I hope this happens.  We could use him back.

Then a mid-late round WR in the draft with some actual offensive potential to boot James Wright? Pretty please?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
No incentives - it's $10M in base and bonuses over the two years:
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/03/08/cincinnati-bengals-resign-wide-receiver-brandon-lafell/98918122/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:22 PM)jowczarski Wrote: No incentives - it's $10M in base and bonuses over the two years:
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/03/08/cincinnati-bengals-resign-wide-receiver-brandon-lafell/98918122/

I like the deal. $5m per isn't bad. Hopefully some other pieced will start to fall soon.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:24 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I like the deal. $5m per isn't bad. Hopefully some other pieced will start to fall soon.

Especially if the rumors are true of Pierre Garcon getting $16 million in his first year with the 49ers. Once I heard that, I thought the WR market was going to be outrageous.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/pierre-garcon-expected-to-sign-with-49ers-will-reportedly-make-16-million-in-year-1/
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:12 PM)McC Wrote: It's been awhile since they didn't have a LT.

True, but look at the most recent drafts.

Last year we needed a WR in round 1, didn't reach.

We haven't had a center in years and yet we still don't reach for one.

How long did we go without a good tight end, we still didn't reach for one.

We needed a LB last year, didn't reach.

All I'm saying is that we never make that mistake in the first round.  And don't kid yourself, this team still views Ced as their LT once Whit leaves..
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Especially if the rumors are true of Pierre Garcon getting $16 million in his first year with the 49ers. Once I heard that, I thought the WR market was going to be outrageous.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/pierre-garcon-expected-to-sign-with-49ers-will-reportedly-make-16-million-in-year-1/

That's what happens when you have $100 million to spend.  You give a guy almost all of his contract up front in salary and he has very little cap $$ the rest of his deal.  Smart move by the niners.
Reply/Quote
Not really feeling it. 1 million more a year and you get Brandon Marshall who has 8 1000+ yard seasons compared to Lafells 0.

Deep WR class and we had 3 rookies last year. Biggest jump from year one to year two?

LaFell got a 3 year 9 million deal from the Patriots. He was cut with dead money ramifications for being too expensive. We grabbed him out of the bargin bin last year for a one year 2.5 million contract. What in the world did he do to get his salary doubled and a contract bigger than the one the Super Bowl champs didnt want to pay?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:35 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Not really feeling it. 1 million more a year and you get Brandon Marshall who has 8 1000+ yard seasons compared to Lafells 0.

Deep WR class and we had 3 rookies last year. Biggest jump from year one to year two?

LaFell got a 3 year 9 million deal from the Patriots. He was cut with dead money ramifications for being too expensive. We grabbed him out of the bargin bin last year for a one year 2.5 million contract. What in the world did he do to get his salary doubled and a contract bigger than the one the Super Bowl champs didnt want to pay?

Just because Marshall agreed to 2 year, $12 million with NYJ doesn't mean he would have been that cheap to other cities. He doesn't have to relocate and likely gets to keep being a host on his TV NFL talk show.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:24 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I like the deal. $5m per isn't bad. Hopefully some other pieced will start to fall soon.

It's not bad, though I would have liked to have seen if Torrey Smith would have accepted the same deal, first. LaFell doesn't really fill a hole. They still need a deep threat to stretch the field. (Of course going on the assumption that the OL will give enough time to throw deep.) 

I think my biggest problem with it is that $5m is 1/3rd of what they said they were going to spend, and it doesn't make the team better than 6-9-1. If they were willing to actually spend their cap space, I would probably like it more.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Could've had Brandon Marshall for 6 mill.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:53 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Could've had Brandon Marshall for 6 mill.

Money isn't the only thing players look at

Our team sucks. We could've doubled what NTG gave Marshall and hed still think it over.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, Spotrac was predicting $6.5 million so that was pretty good. I think maybe he gave us a little discount for believing in him and maybe he likes working with Dalton and others here. 

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's not bad, though I would have liked to have seen if Torrey Smith would have accepted the same deal, first. LaFell doesn't really fill a hole. They still need a deep threat to stretch the field. (Of course going on the assumption that the OL will give enough time to throw deep.) 

I think my biggest problem with it is that $5m is 1/3rd of what they said they were going to spend, and it doesn't make the team better than 6-9-1. If they were willing to actually spend their cap space, I would probably like it more.

He is worth every penny! Some of you folks really overvalue Jones imo. Do we need to inject some speed into the WRs corps? Of course, but to keep hating on a guy that contributes and earned his deal,in this system; is assinine.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:53 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Could've had Brandon Marshall for 6 mill.

From all appearances Marshall wanted to stay in New York. He didn't want to uproot his family, and he does a lot of work with the NFL Network in New York. It's highly unlikely he would have accepted 2yr/$12m from any other team.

(03-08-2017, 08:13 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: He is worth every penny! Some of you folks really overvalue Jones imo. Do we need to inject some speed into the WRs corps? Of course, but to keep hating on a guy that contributes and earned his deal,in this system; is assinine.

I don't see anywhere in my post that I mentioned Jones (but now that you've brought him up, he did average 3.4 yards more per catch than LaFell, and LaFell will turn 31 this year). I just said that they need a deep threat to stretch the field. I don't think it's a terrible signing, but in the context of only spending $15m and LaFell is $5m of it, it sorta is.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote