Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals reportedly "making push" to keep Vincent Rey
And throw valuable money out the window.
Rumors are Bengals will offer 3yrs 15 million.

And overpay him by 14 million.
Good god this is Groundhog's Day

edit:Link
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/bengals-expected-to-make-major-push-to-retain-linebacker-vincent-rey/
Reply/Quote
It's not surprising they want to sign him. That much money is surprising.

They gave that same amount to Maualuga. And he's actually starting. Rey would start 3 games.

Not happy about the price at all.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 07:56 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: It's not surprising they want to sign him. That much money is surprising.

They gave that same amount to Maualuga. And he's actually starting. Rey would start 3 games.

Not happy about the price at all.

I mean, it's surprising since they managed to let other terrible backup LB go.
He's 28. He isn't young. He isn't particularly athletic. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 07:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I mean, it's surprising since they managed to let other terrible backup LB go.
He's 28. He isn't young. He isn't particularly athletic. 

To be fair, I'd rather have Rey over Lamur. I mean, for unathletic as he is, he does make tackles. And more interceptions than the other.

$15 million for a backup is too much. Use that money on re-signing a starter. Or hey, actually sign an improvement in free agency.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 08:05 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: To be fair, I'd rather have Rey over Lamur. I mean, for unathletic as he is, he does make tackles. And more interceptions than the other.

$15 million for a backup is too much. Use that money on re-signing a starter. Or hey, actually sign an improvement in free agency.

Cool. Tackle stats. Too many of those are after the catch because he was out of position or ten yards downfield.

The WLB (where he generally plays) is always going to have a lot of tackle stats. Our defense is designed to funnel plays to him. 

Skuta, Landon Johnson...VRey is just another backup getting way too much playing time with inflated numbers. 
He's kinda worth back on a backup level deal. 

But that's what I thought PJ Dawson was for...

If we let either MLJ or Iloka walk but keep him at 5 per....
Reply/Quote
have not heard this. Are you sure it's not $15 over 5?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 08:29 PM)Benton Wrote: have not heard this. Are you sure it's not $15 over 5?

The guy reporting it is usually on top of these things. 
Reply/Quote
"The structure for a potential Rey deal with the Bengals could closely mirror the three-year, $15 million contract for linebacker Rey Maualuga that included $4.5 million guaranteed."

I read that as the author is throwing out an example of what he thinks could be a comparable contract. Nothing there suggests he has any inside knowledge of actual offers or negotiations. In fact the title only says "expected to make a major push," and nothing is imminent. 

Really think you guys are jump in the gun and reading too much into the article. My takeaway is the bengals will likely make Rey a contract offer, and genuinely seem to want him back.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 08:43 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The guy reporting it is usually on top of these things. 

The guy that you say is on top of these things, has glowing things to say about Rey.  According to what Aaron Wilson said about Rey, evidently he's the swiss army knife of our LB corps.  I realize that we haven't seen him make the big impact plays, like Burfict does, but Rey is steady.  I can see why the team would want to retain his services.  If they didn't, we would be looking at attaining two LBs. 

Interesting that you threw Skuta into the category of overrated backup.  As far as I can see, he's been nothing but solid as a starter in the 49ers.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 07:50 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: And throw valuable money out the window.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/bengals-expected-to-make-major-push-to-retain-linebacker-vincent-rey/

??? The guy has lead this defense in tackles for the past two years.. also is versatile and can play across the linebacking positions.  I am not saying pay him 5 million but you act like he has not performed over the last couple years.. You don't get that many tackles without being in position and playing well... I stated early I felt Rey was the most important signing when I look at the lack of depth in our LB core and what he as done for this team over the last couple years.
Reply/Quote
I'd pay them that much to not give him this deal.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 09:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The guy that you say is on top of these things, has glowing things to say about Rey.  According to what Aaron Wilson said about Rey, evidently he's the swiss army knife of our LB corps.  I realize that we haven't seen him make the big impact plays, like Burfict does, but Rey is steady.  I can see why the team would want to retain his services.  If they didn't, we would be looking at attaining two LBs. 

Interesting that you threw Skuta into the category of overrated backup.  As far as I can see, he's been nothing but solid as a starter in the 49ers.

Skuta had 1.5 sacks last year. He averaged 2 sacks a year outside the Bengals organization and didn't even play for the 49ers last year. So.....yeah he was fantastic for them? 
Rey is steady at being bad.

(02-16-2016, 09:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: ??? The guy has lead this defense in tackles for the past two years.. also is versatile and can play across the linebacking positions.  I am not saying pay him 5 million but you act like he has not performed over the last couple years.. You don't get that many tackles without being in position and playing well... I stated early I felt Rey was the most important signing when I look at the lack of depth in our LB core and what he as done for this team over the last couple years.

He has out performed his ability thanks to the design of the defense. His value is in Vontaze being injured and the defense is designed for the WLB to make tackles.
And yes you can. Look at Peko's tackle numbers. Tackles are one of the worst stat to judge a player on. 
Are 15 tackles after a play has already gained 5+ yards better than 5 tackles that prevent more plays from occurring? 
Tackles are also subjectively given out by the stats guys at each stadium. What counts one week as a tackle, isn't the next. 

The goal should be to get better. Not get the same-r. 
VRey is a "Swiss Army Knife" in the way he is decidedly mediocre at every position he plays. 
He does nothing PJ Dawson couldn't do. 

Eventually we have to get better. Re-signing middle of the road at best LBs for 5 mill a year and have 2 (or more) on the roster at the same time, is why you get bumped in the first round every year.
Reply/Quote
They honestly can't expect him to get that on the market... can they?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 10:17 PM)Stormborn Wrote: They honestly can't expect him to get that on the market... can they?

Teams are dying for a LB who let's everyone catch the ball in front of him so he can get a "tackle stat" 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 10:18 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Teams are dying for a LB who let's everyone catch the ball in front of him so he can get a "tackle stat" 

He's got practically zero value anywhere else (except maybe Minnesota), which should decrease his value, not increase his personal value to us.

It'd be just spending money for the sake of spending money, and then telling the gullible fans that we do indeed spend money in FA.

You could get Danny Trevethan for that cash but nooooooooooooooooooo. **** competent athletic LBs and they're value.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 10:26 PM)Stormborn Wrote: He's got practically zero value anywhere else (except maybe Minnesota), which should decrease his value, not increase his personal value to us.

It'd be just spending money for the sake of spending money, and then telling the gullible fans that we do indeed spend money in FA.

You could get Danny Trevethan for that cash but nooooooooooooooooooo. **** competent athletic LBs and they're value.

If Trevathan and Rey end up playing for anywhere near the same cash...I might flip. 
Reply/Quote
This team was poised to make a Super Bowl run.
With the cap increase, there is no reason they couldn't keep their good players (MLJ, Pacman, Iloka) and add one or two others (Trevathan) and then go crazy in the draft.

You'd be getting better all across the board, not standing pat with first round exits.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 10:27 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: If Trevathan and Rey end up playing for anywhere near the same cash...I might flip. 

PBS will be reduced to a pile of ashes by these hands.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 07:50 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: And throw valuable money out the window.

That's ridiculous! He must have some serious blackmail on Mike Brown.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 08:16 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Cool. Tackle stats. Too many of those are after the catch because he was out of position or ten yards downfield.

The WLB (where he generally plays) is always going to have a lot of tackle stats. Our defense is designed to funnel plays to him. 

Skuta, Landon Johnson...VRey is just another backup getting way too much playing time with inflated numbers. 
He's kinda worth back on a backup level deal. 

But that's what I thought PJ Dawson was for...

If we let either MLJ or Iloka walk but keep him at 5 per....

I value his versatility, but about half the points you're touching on we should at least consider when trying to figure out what he's worth.  All those names and you forgot Caleb Miller, how could you!  I think we were torching that kid for having like 100 tackles way down the field like he was an extra safety or something.  When he's in there at WLB you're right they ask him to clean up.  He does the job well enough to be a fringe starter or solid backup but even with the cap going up I think 5 million is a bit much for a role player, even though he does play so many roles.  He's more of an emergency guy at MLB, maybe Dawson or a mid round guy could lap him as the other Rey's backup.  He does do a solid job in coverage, but a lot of us would rather see them pay a playmaker this much.  I get the logic of continuity and freeing yourself from having to sign or draft a second LB by the mid rounds (hopefully they land one early) but that number just looks like they're bidding against themselves.  I see no harm in offering him 3yr/10-11M and letting him hit the market for a bigger deal.  A jack of all trades is nice to have, but I'm fine with paying two descent LB's half that each. 
Reply/Quote