Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals shopping John Ross
(02-27-2019, 11:03 AM)Flirtdoc Wrote: JV coaching staff making mistakes left and right

The Flirtatious Doctor coming in hot!!! Taped up those wrists and he's postin' hard. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:09 PM)Synric Wrote:

Ross was Tobin's pick. He talked Mike Brown in to the pick over Marvin's objections.

Someone sure did put the word out that we wanted to deal Ross. If it wasn't the Bengals, it very well could have been Ross' agent, who is probably at the combine.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Not sure if you are being sincere with the question, but I assumed it was Mike Brown.  The Bengals taking a track star in Ross was just too similar to an Al Davis style pick to NOT attribute to our own ancient owner/GM.

Pretty much every draft site had Ross as a first round pick.  

I take all of these draft stories with a grain of salt.  I remember when everyon4 swore Mike Brown wanted Ryan Mallet instead of Andy Dalton, then a couple of years later they all said he wanted Kaepernick instead of Dalton.  It is all nothing but rumors.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:21 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Ross was Tobin's pick. He talked Mike Brown in to the pick over Marvin's objections.

Someone sure did put the word out that we wanted to deal Ross. If it wasn't the Bengals, it very well could have been Ross' agent, who is probably at the combine.

One of the beat writers said people inquired about Ross at the deadline and we said no. I wonder if this all started with someone saying "ae you open to trading him" and we said yes....because everyone is trade able for the right price. Always interesting this time of year with rumors.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: One of the beat writers said people inquired about Ross at the deadline and we said no. I wonder if this all started with someone saying "ae you open to trading him" and we said yes....because everyone is trade able for the right price. Always interesting this time of year with rumors.

Or someone asked his agent and the agent said yes. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: One of the beat writers said people inquired about Ross at the deadline and we said no. I wonder if this all started with someone saying "ae you open to trading him" and we said yes....because everyone is trade able for the right price. Always interesting this time of year with rumors.

Possibly.

(02-27-2019, 01:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Or someone asked his agent and the agent said yes. 

If Ross' agent is involved it speaks very badly of Ross. His agent would not get involved in trade discussions without prior communications with Ross.

Reply/Quote
Taylor says he's 'excited to work with John (Ross)' and 'he has a very bright future with us'.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 05:48 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: When said mistake might just need a fresh start to be less of a mistake, it is a mistake to ship him off for next to nothing.

I can't stand John Ross. I whined like a steeler offensive lineman called for holding when we picked him. His play makes me angry. His stupid face makes me even angrier. It makes me furious when a f/o completely botches a pick like that when even sidewalk fans knew it was a mistake.

But he is fast, and maybe, somehow, this new group can find a way to make that speed useful. If not, so be it. That 5th we might get for him this season can be the 6th we get for him at the trade deadline. Dumping him now just seems reactionary and impetuous, 2 things a young coach should not be labeled this early in his tenure. 

This.  I don't see the possible value of gaining what is probably a 5th - 7th round pick.    I would be surprised if it is better than a 6th and would not be surprised by a late 7th rounder.

We have plenty of late round picks.  And it concerns me that with a hole at the wide receiver spot our new HC does not feel the need to see what he can get out of him.   Sort of the final squandering of what is left of a very bad draft pick.

And as others have pointed out it is very concerning that the last 3 1st round picks have been such abysmal failures.   I know that jury is out on Price, but at first blush...
Reply/Quote
Some info on Ross at combine.

Marisa Contipelli‏ @BengalsMarisa · 10m10 minutes ago
Taylor: “I’m excited to work with John (Ross). He’s a very exciting player, you can move around and do different things with. He has a very bright future with us.” Added they want to get the best and most out of their players. #Bengals

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Pretty much every draft site had Ross as a first round pick.  

I take all of these draft stories with a grain of salt.  I remember when everyon4 swore Mike Brown wanted Ryan Mallet instead of Andy Dalton, then a couple of years later they all said he wanted Kaepernick instead of Dalton.  It is all nothing but rumors.

Pretty much every side had Ogbuehi as a first rounder too I suppose. Fml. The Bengals have never made a mistake in your eyes.
Reply/Quote

Dallas maybe?
they were hunting for a WR last year.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 02:02 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Dallas maybe?
they were hunting for a WR last year.

We were hurting at WR last year too, and Ross didn't step up.

Reply/Quote
So now we’re not shopping Ross?.....I hope that is just Taylor running damage control and they really are looking into what kind of return they can get for him.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 02:26 PM)BengalChris Wrote: We were hurting at WR last year too, and Ross didn't step up.

well by time he was playing more it was driskel passing the ball...   So its hard to judge
Reply/Quote
Of course they will want to keep this quiet if the Front Office actually wants to move Ross because by wanting to keep Ross, it drives up his value.

If the team can get a 3 or 4 rounder I would still pull the trigger. nevertheless, if the team fixes the O-Line problems and can use Ross correctly and Dalton has time maybe he will work out. I just think he may need to go to an established franchise with tradition and discipline like Patriots or Cowboys.

Don't the Bengals still have the same WR coach?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 02:44 PM)HuDey Wrote: So now we’re not shopping Ross?.....I hope that is just Taylor running damage control and they really are looking into what kind of return they can get for him.

He would not be worth more than a 6th or 7th round pick.

Personally I don't care if they keep him or move him as long as they are not depending on him to be one of our top 3 WRs.  I think he has skills to be a very good player, but have some other plan in place if he does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 12:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't think we can jump to any conclusions from a tweet. But even if we do, it sounds like this was equal part Ross as it sounds like he's wanting to move on. I don't mind the trade. We need to do more of this if we are really a build through the draft team.

Just don't give him away for anything after the 3rd round.

If Ross and his agent had anything to do with the story it sounds like their ploy to go to another team. The Bengals would be absolute fools to let him go for anything less than a early third rounder. They have already given him fourteen million of a eighteen million contract for two years of lousy play. They would be on the hook for the next two years for the 5 million signing bonus.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 09:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So why is it only Ross then that they can't hit in stride, because Green and Boyd sure seem to make plays???? This is not on the QB's....

They both said they had trouble gauging his speed.  They were able to hit him in stride in the end zone, though.  Go figure.

Doesn't matter, though, cuz the new coach says he can't wait to work with him, so the haters get another year to bash him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 03:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He would not be worth more than a 6th or 7th round pick.

Personally I don't care if they keep him or move him as long as they are not depending on him to be one of our top 3 WRs.  I think he has skills to be a very good player, but have some other plan in place if he does not.

If that is the best offer we can get then we would be better served to keep him around another year and hope that he improves. Most likely he will be on the roster for the 2019 season, so here is to hoping that he stays healthy and gives me and other doubters an attitude adjustment with his play.
Reply/Quote

Remember, Mike is old school, a stubborn old-schooler. His philosophy is simple. I pay you, you work for me, go out and do your job. You struggling, its OK, try harder next time but you're working for me, you ain't going nowhere. Remember Akili and Ditka?
https://clutchpoints.com/the-trade-the-bengals-refused-that-wouldve-turned-around-their-franchise/

Most teams on the other hand  are, you can't do your part? We will let you go and get someone else as soon as we can and will.

Unfortunately, the NFL this day n' age doesn't work the Mikey way anymore. hasn't for the last 30 yrs or so.
Reply/Quote