Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals shopping John Ross
(02-27-2019, 06:40 AM)McC Wrote: So, let me get this straight.  If the Ravens are getting rid of Crabtree, it's the QB's fault, but the fact that our QB's couldn't hit Ross in stride if their lives depended on it is the receiver's fault.  Is that your logic?  Never fear though, we are still absolutely loaded at the position.

Seems like the new staff lacks confidence in their own abilities to the point they're telling the world we will ultimately cut him when their goofy combine auction comes up empty.   And here I thought this confidence was their claim to fame.

As far as trading him goes, I don't think it's a good idea(who the hell will we line up at receiver), but I can understand it.  What I can't understand is the idiotic way they're going about it.
Nah, my logic is Crabtree is a proven 1,000 receiver in the NFL when he has someone that can throw to him. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, my logic is Crabtree is a proven 1,000 receiver in the NFL when he has someone that can throw to him. 

So will Ross be as soon as he has a HC and OC and QB who aren't out to get him!

Why blame Ross when you can blame Marvin, Lazor, Dalton, Driskell, Taylor, Callahan, and so on?
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:58 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I like this idea.  Payback for Antonio Bryant as well.   Whatever

Actually, I thought there was a good chance Ross wouldn't even make it to the final 53 after camp.  I don't see Taylor clogging up a roster spot for a guy who shouldn't even be here in the first place.

With that said, I seriously doubt we are going to get much for him if they're already leaking it that he's on the chopping block so long before the draft.  I would've waited until then to try to dump him to try to hide the fact more by packaging him with a draft pick or something.

It's kind of hard to hide the fact that he only has 21 catches and 210 yds over two seasons. People who think we will get a third round pick for a total bust are dreaming. He only costs two million in salary this year but if he is cut he will still count five million total over the next two years. All this is a tool to let Ross know the writing is on the wall, shape up if you want to keep playing NFL football.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What does it say if we're putting JR on the market as soon as the new HC watches some film?

I don't think it was watching film.  I think it was getting the inside scoop on Ross's work ethic and attitude.  The guy tried to show up the coaching staff by posting a video from practice.  He claimed he tried to hide an injury from the team.  He did not seem to know the playbook, and he has been known to give up on routes.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 10:49 AM)MentalRage Wrote: If the best the Bengals can get for Ross is a 6th round pick there is zero reason to trade him. 6th round picks are useless. Might as well keep him and hope he takes that next step.

I also find it interesting that only 32 of his 58 targets were deemed catchable. Also his uncatchable deep ball rate was second highest in the NFL at 73%.
Some people don't want to hear this, but Dalton was terrible at throwing him the a good deep ball. Go back and watch that Saints game. Dalton consistently under threw him never hitting Ross in stride.

If you are offered a 6th and thats it, that is probably the height of his value. If he is up to be traded that probably means Taylor doesn't want him, if we keep him we probably won't use him. A player who isn't being used isn't going to garner any more interest a year later. Right now there is still some newness and shine to him with coaches who liked him in the draft saying "I can fix him". I think it's a mistake to keep the guy if Taylor doesn't want him no matter the compensation. 

I explained the "uncatchable" issue in another thread, it comes with bad route integrity downfield.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think it was watching film.  I think it was getting the inside scoop on Ross's work ethic and attitude.  The guy tried to show up the coaching staff by posting a video from practice.  He claimed he tried to hide an injury from the team.  He did not seem to know the playbook, and he has been known to give up on routes.

Sounds like the kind of player you want to force on a rookie HC!
Reply/Quote
I don't think we can jump to any conclusions from a tweet. But even if we do, it sounds like this was equal part Ross as it sounds like he's wanting to move on. I don't mind the trade. We need to do more of this if we are really a build through the draft team.

Just don't give him away for anything after the 3rd round.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Probably get a conditional pick.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think it was watching film.  I think it was getting the inside scoop on Ross's work ethic and attitude.  The guy tried to show up the coaching staff by posting a video from practice.  He claimed he tried to hide an injury from the team.  He did not seem to know the playbook, and he has been known to give up on routes.

I agree with you fred......quitting routes, poor route running, that's on the player.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 12:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with you fred......quitting routes, poor route running, that's on the player.

But like Bfine said, hopefully at least one GM out there shares the notion that our coaches have all set out to ruin Mike Brown's top 10 pick.  Hell, maybe they'll think we ruined Ced, too!  Package deal!
Reply/Quote
I think Fred's take is spot on. And maybe Ross blossoms elsewhere. Getting traded may be the wake up call an immature young nan needs. If 2 completely different coaching regimes don't want him, I gotta believe where there's smoke there is fire.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
so this is what Im understanding.
Taylor looks at game film and talked to guys inside Bengals head quarters about John Ross.
attitude and work ethic is in question which is the perception now
lets trade him asap.
yet 5 to 8 teams are intrested in him.
so I guess Taylor feels he cant change his attitude/work ethic?
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 12:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: But like Bfine said, hopefully at least one GM out there shares the notion that our coaches have all set out to ruin Mike Brown's top 10 pick.  Hell, maybe they'll think we ruined Ced, too!  Package deal!

That would be amazeballs.... LMAO

Yeah, coaches, both QBs, Oline, now it's new coaches......the conspiracy to ruin John Ross will never end! Ninja

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 12:48 PM)impactplaya Wrote: so this is what Im understanding.
Taylor looks at game film and talked to guys inside Bengals head quarters about John Ross.
attitude and work ethic is in question which is the perception now
lets trade him asap.
yet 5 to 8 teams are intrested in him.
so I guess Taylor feels he cant change his attitude/work ethic?

Either Ross is a super bust our GM(s) whiffed on big time, or he has potential our former coaching staff couldn't make use of and our new coaching staff won't even attempt to develop.  Any way you slice it, we're looking like dum dums on this one.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 12:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Either Ross is a super bust our GM(s) whiffed on big time, or he has potential our former coaching staff couldn't make use of and our new coaching staff won't even attempt to develop.  Any way you slice it, we're looking like dum dums on this one.

I wonder who was the person that pushed for drafting Ross?
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 12:57 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I wonder who was the person that pushed for drafting Ross?

Not sure if you are being sincere with the question, but I assumed it was Mike Brown.  The Bengals taking a track star in Ross was just too similar to an Al Davis style pick to NOT attribute to our own ancient owner/GM.
Reply/Quote

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Duke Tobin is being interviewed at the combine and has denied reports that the Bengals want to trade Ross.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:09 PM)Synric Wrote:

Twitter reports that Twitter was wrong. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:10 PM)MentalRage Wrote: Duke Tobin is being interviewed at the combine and has denied reports that the Bengals want to trade Ross.

That could be industry code for "stop offering 6th round picks, and up the ante."
Reply/Quote