Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals shopping John Ross
(02-27-2019, 12:49 AM)Synric Wrote: If the Bengals trade Ross they will have a dead cap hit of 5.2 million.

So we'll only save 4 million in 2020 or there abouts. We can spend it somewhere else.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
The pick was crap at the time, the player has been crap for 2 years and it will compound the issue if we keep him. Bad pick, get over it and move on. Pressure is clearly on Tobin now to turn back into drafting well; he was whiffed for several years now.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 12:51 AM)McC Wrote: Crabtree if it was three years ago.  What does it say if the Ratbirds, who basically have no receivers, are releasing him?

It says they're rolling with a QB that cannot throw the ball.

What does it say if we're putting JR on the market as soon as the new HC watches some film?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:35 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The pick was crap at the time, the player has been crap for 2 years and it will compound the issue if we keep him. Bad pick, get over it and move on. Pressure is clearly on Tobin now to turn back into drafting well; he was whiffed for several years now.

Mixon, Boyd, WJ3, Bates, Hubbard, Lawson...

Jury is still out on Price, but we didn’t have much choice after the guy we wanted was taken.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It says they're rolling with a QB that cannot throw the ball.

What does it say if we're putting JR on the market as soon as the new HC watches some film?

Hopefully he watches some film on Og, Fisher, Nickerson, Hart, Redmond, and all the other scrubs that should be off this team.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hopefully he watches some film on Og, Fisher, Nickerson, Hart, Redmond, and all the other scrubs that should be off this team.

Shouldn't be hard since only 1 of those 5 is even on the team.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Everyone is talking about draft pick in return for Ross.

Keep in mind that there are several outcomes of a trade:
1) Drat pick.
2) Player for player trade.
3) Combination of the two above.

When other teams contact the Bengals, Brown will state his price. It will most probably be a first rounder. The caller then will make a counter offer by offering player(s), draft picks or combination thereof.

Bengals are in a good place here, because Ross did show speed and TD production. Additionally; he is in his rookie contract.

I wouldn't mind getting a non-cap busting player, and packaging Ross and some late round picks to also get a third rounder. Second rounder would be better.

This draft is thin in 4-3 backers. So that is where a player package with draft pick would be a good outcome.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mixon, Boyd, WJ3, Bates, Hubbard, Lawson...

Jury is still out on Price, but we didn’t have much choice after the guy we wanted was taken.

All valid points, but are you really gonna give Tobin credit for Joe Mixon? The guy was probably a top ten pick if the league wasn't on it's phoney, self righteous high horse. I guess I'm willing to give him enough credit for knowing he could whiff at 9, and still get Mixon later, but that's about it. Hell we knew that. He doesn't even get credit for that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:59 AM)Synric Wrote: Shouldn't be hard since only 1 of those 5 is even on the team.

Let’s hope it stays that way.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It says they're rolling with a QB that cannot throw the ball.

So, let me get this straight.  If the Ravens are getting rid of Crabtree, it's the QB's fault, but the fact that our QB's couldn't hit Ross in stride if their lives depended on it is the receiver's fault.  Is that your logic?  Never fear though, we are still absolutely loaded at the position.

Seems like the new staff lacks confidence in their own abilities to the point they're telling the world we will ultimately cut him when their goofy combine auction comes up empty.   And here I thought this confidence was their claim to fame.

As far as trading him goes, I don't think it's a good idea(who the hell will we line up at receiver), but I can understand it.  What I can't understand is the idiotic way they're going about it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 06:40 AM)McC Wrote: So, let me get this straight.  If the Ravens are getting rid of Crabtree, it's the QB's fault, but the fact that our QB's couldn't hit Ross in stride if their lives depended on it is the receiver's fault.  Is that your logic?  Never fear though, we are still absolutely loaded at the position.

Seems like the new staff lacks confidence in their own abilities to the point they're telling the world we will ultimately cut him when their goofy combine auction comes up empty.   And here I thought this confidence was their claim to fame.

As far as trading him goes, I don't think it's a good idea(who the hell will we line up at receiver), but I can understand it.  What I can't understand is the idiotic way they're going about it.

So why is it only Ross then that they can't hit in stride, because Green and Boyd sure seem to make plays???? This is not on the QB's....
Reply/Quote
Crabtree before Jackson started:9 games 41 catches 472 yds 2 TD's
Crabtree after Jackson:7 games 13 catches 135 yds 1 TD

Assuming he stayed on his pre Jackson trend he was looking at 72 catches 839 yds 4 TD's. He still has some juice left and I'd be open to bringing him in, he should be cheap. We need depth anyways even if he doesn't get a ton of snaps in case of injuries. I'd sign him or someone like him just in case a WR doesn't fall in place in the draft.
Reply/Quote
WR Golden Tate = 3rd round pick.
WR Demaryius Thomas = 4th round pick.
WR Josh Gordon = 5th round pick. (because I got high, because I got high, because I got hiiiigh)
RB/WR Ty Montgomery = 7th round pick

We'll be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him. Probably a 5th or 6th based off previous trades. He does have a little value since he has a 1st round team option, so gives the team an extra year. But nobody is going to blow you away with an offer for an additional year. Even tho this is bad news, I think it's good they are looking at pieces that may or may not fit what they do. Take your sunk cost and move on. Let's not pull a Ced again.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 09:54 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: WR Golden Tate = 3rd round pick.
WR Demaryius Thomas = 4th round pick.
WR Josh Gordon = 5th round pick. (because I got high, because I got high, because I got hiiiigh)
RB/WR Ty Montgomery = 7th round pick

We'll be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him. Probably a 5th or 6th  based off previous trades. He does have a little value since he has a 1st round team option, so gives the team an extra year. But nobody is going to blow you away with an offer for an additional year. Even tho this is bad news, I think it's good they are looking at pieces that may or may not fit what they do. Take your sunk cost and move on. Let's not pull a Ced again.

Gordon was on last strike and Montgomery was about to be cut after losing them a game after disobeying a coaches orders. I think 3rd to 4th is possible, but I really think he was thrown out as part of a package. The report is he is being shopped but there is a lack of context in that maybe it was part of a larger deal for a specific player or pick. This time of year it's hard to contextualize some of these discussions. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 10:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: Gordon was on last strike and Montgomery was about to be cut after losing them a game after disobeying a coaches orders. I think 3rd to 4th is possible, but I really think he was thrown out as part of a package. The report is he is being shopped but there is a lack of context in that maybe it was part of a larger deal for a specific player or pick. This time of year it's hard to contextualize some of these discussions. 

Yea... But still, Tate and D. Thomas are a good gauge of what to expect. Yeah, I thought the same thing when I seen this. I wonder if they're trying to use some later round picks to add a higher round pick vs a a bunch of late round picks? idk, would like to see more soon
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I don't mind them trading him if it is ZT decision, that would show that the front office is giving him some control. However I would have like to see if a new system would have helped him.
Reply/Quote
If the best the Bengals can get for Ross is a 6th round pick there is zero reason to trade him. 6th round picks are useless. Might as well keep him and hope he takes that next step.

I also find it interesting that only 32 of his 58 targets were deemed catchable. Also his uncatchable deep ball rate was second highest in the NFL at 73%.
Some people don't want to hear this, but Dalton was terrible at throwing him the a good deep ball. Go back and watch that Saints game. Dalton consistently under threw him never hitting Ross in stride.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 10:49 AM)MentalRage Wrote: If the best the Bengals can get for Ross is a 6th round pick there is zero reason to trade him. 6th round picks are useless. Might as well keep him and hope he takes that next step.

I also find it interesting that only 32 of his 58 targets were deemed catchable. Also his uncatchable deep ball rate was second highest in the NFL at 73%.
Some people don't want to hear this, but Dalton was terrible at throwing him the a good deep ball. Go back and watch that Saints game. Dalton consistently under threw him never hitting Ross in stride.

Maybe they're looking to move Ross because they need a better deep baller QB to hit him in stride and Ryan Tannehill is worse at Dalton in that area. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 10:56 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe they're looking to move Ross because they need a better deep baller QB to hit him in stride and Ryan Tannehill is worse at Dalton in that area. Ninja

In that case the Bengals are geniuses!
Reply/Quote
JV coaching staff making mistakes left and right
Reply/Quote