Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals shopping John Ross
(02-26-2019, 08:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They’re not going to trade AJ. It’s not even worth talking about. Let the keyboard GM’s have their fun.

Who knows, if Gruden can trade Mack and ZT can immediately look to trade Ross, past logic may be out the window.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ross has many poor statistics but also has an outstanding stat: about 33% TD-Reception ratio. I think Cowboys or the Patriots would give 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

The team will need to bring quality FA at OT and backer. The team will still need to draft OT, two backers, TE, DB, and maybe some kickers. I think Burfict's days with the Bengals are numbered.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 08:24 PM)McC Wrote: If they trade AJ, it means sucking for at least a few years, Cleveland Browns mode.  We will have no offense.  Don't know about you, but I don't have the stomach for three or four more years of sucking.

If you trade AJ, may as well blow it all up and then I can give up the NFL once and for all.

I don't think the Bengals will trade him but having an open mind to trading him along as well as Dalton should not be out of question.  Also the Bengals could replace him with a free agent or early draft pick to reduce the blow.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 10:07 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Ross has many poor statistics but also has an outstanding stat: about 33% TD-Reception ratio.   I think Cowboys or the Patriots would give 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

The team will need to bring quality FA at OT and backer.  The team will still need to draft OT, two backers, TE, DB, and maybe some kickers.   I think Burfict's days with the Bengals are numbered.

His stats are like that of a gimmicky late round red zone only WR.  
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 10:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Who knows, if Gruden can trade Mack and ZT can immediately look to trade Ross, past logic may be out the window.

Did you just use Mack and Ross in a comparison? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 10:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did you just use Mack and Ross in a comparison? 

More comparing Mack to AJ to show franchise players getting moved and Ross to show our new staff is open to shaking things up right out of the gate.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 10:07 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Ross has many poor statistics but also has an outstanding stat: about 33% TD-Reception ratio.   I think Cowboys or the Patriots would give 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

The team will need to bring quality FA at OT and backer.  The team will still need to draft OT, two backers, TE, DB, and maybe some kickers.   I think Burfict's days with the Bengals are numbered.

That could even show more darkness about him, as in "he only tries, when he thinks he will score".  But, a team willing to give anything of value will have to be a good team, not really needing much from the draft, and able to take a chance on what could be a "luxury" addition to their team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Such a waste of a 1st round pick on Ross when the OL needed so much help.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 05:48 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: When said mistake might just need a fresh start to be less of a mistake, it is a mistake to ship him off for next to nothing.

I can't stand John Ross. I whined like a steeler offensive lineman called for holding when we picked him. His play makes me angry. His stupid face makes me even angrier. It makes me furious when a f/o completely botches a pick like that when even sidewalk fans knew it was a mistake.

But he is fast, and maybe, somehow, this new group can find a way to make that speed useful. If not, so be it. That 5th we might get for him this season can be the 6th we get for him at the trade deadline. Dumping him now just seems reactionary and impetuous, 2 things a young coach should not be labeled this early in his tenure. 

Funny, I'm the complete opposite. Loved the Ross pick, but if the new coach didn't like what he saw, I'm all for dumping him for a 5th. Good teams admit their mistakes and don't waste several years trying to get something out of a failed draft pick. Rolling on with Ross would remind me of throwing Ogbuehi at tackle for several years. We'd be holding the team back, just to try to squeeze blood out of turnip. 

Good teams don't let one faulty cog wreck the whole machine. Forget where Ross was drafted. It's not relevant to 2019 and the future.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: Looks like the new coaching staff isn't interested......

yes and can you blame them? the guy gives up on routes and cant catch the ball with any consistency .
not anyone I would want to invest any time with........either you got it or you don't.

a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be awesome if you ask me.....but realistically I'm thinking 4th or 5th rounder is all we could fetch for this guy.
Reply/Quote
Gruden has a lot of of high picks, he's gotten rid of a lot of players, i'm sure he'll want to start getting, and he can be persuaded by us to get Ross.
Reply/Quote
I've heard Denver is willing to give us a 4th for 4 of our 6th rounders but if we add JR to the deal they'll make it a 5th

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 10:44 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Such a waste of a 1st round pick on Ross when the OL needed so much help.

in the beginning of football, the QB, RB and WR made the difference. Nowadays, not exclusively, not anymore.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:09 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I disagree. You'd get a 4th rounder at best for this guy right now, and that's a pathetic ROI.

We have this brand new offensive-minded HC in place and an entirely new set of assistants.

I see no good reason not to try him out with this new staff instead of dumping him off for pennies on the dollar.

I would think the offensive minded HC is in on this decision. I am sure he has looked at tapes and concluded, cutting ties was a good idea. Must not see what, whom ever picked him did.

New Dey
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 11:36 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: I would think the offensive minded HC is in on this decision. I am sure he has looked at tapes and concluded, cutting ties was a good idea. Must not see what, whom ever picked him did.

New Dey

How about coaching him up and using him the right way instead of worrying about how someone else used him?

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 11:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How about coaching him up and using him the right way instead of worrying about how someone else used him?

Maybe after 4 years of college and 2 years in the NFL, Zac realized "coaching him up" was not an option.

In business we call it a sunk cost. The quicker you stop throwing good money at bad money the better. 

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 11:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Funny, I'm the complete opposite. Loved the Ross pick, but if the new coach didn't like what he saw, I'm all for dumping him for a 5th. Good teams admit their mistakes and don't waste several years trying to get something out of a failed draft pick. Rolling on with Ross would remind me of throwing Ogbuehi at tackle for several years. We'd be holding the team back, just to try to squeeze blood out of turnip. 

Good teams don't let one faulty cog wreck the whole machine. Forget where Ross was drafted. It's not relevant to 2019 and the future.

It just seems impulsive.  And the timing of it and the moronic announcing it to the world guarantees getting little to nothing in return.  Says to everyone, we will end up cutting him, so go on and wait it out.  

If this is the new way of doing business, why hasn't Walton been cut already?  He suxx on the field AND off.

What is with this new practice of telling everyone everything before they do it?  Not a fan of that at all.  This guy Per Reports can kiss my ass.

Seems like the last thing we oughta be doing is creating more holes.  We're practically Swiss cheese already. Very unimpressive move, imo.  Could have been handled a helluva lot better.  Now we have two receivers.  Woo Hoo.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 09:55 PM)ben_lewtas9 Wrote: I hate this franchise so much.

There's no way a 5th rounder is going to have more impact than JR. I love Andy but he's hit Ross once in stride, and that was in pre-season against the Bills.

Yeah but...but..catch percentage.  I threw the ball eight feet over your head and out of bounds.  There goes your catch percentage.   Why did you quit on that route?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 11:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Maybe after 4 years of college and 2 years in the NFL, Zac realized "coaching him up" was not an option.

In business we call it a sunk cost. The quicker you stop throwing good money at bad money the better. 

What does his college play have to with it? He was actually good in college. That’s why we drafted him so high.

The problems started here.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 07:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe he should go to the CFL where he can have like 20 yards of endzone to use to make his 1 catch per game.

Sorry but swing and a miss.  He proved he could get open in a small space so why would he need twice that?  And gee, if only they had run him on any of those routes outside the red zone, which they never did.

Face it, we're at the beginning of a house cleaning and we will suck this year, at the least.

Player move #1--F.  Not because Ross is great or anything close, but because of the amateur handling of it.

Reply/Quote