Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals shopping John Ross
(02-26-2019, 06:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I totally get what you're saying and agree mostly. 

I would truly love to know the "real truth" to not only the Ross story but so many others. Who really picked Ross ? Tobin ? MB ? ML ? Who really picked Ogbuehi ?  PA ? MB ? Who decided he kept playing way after it was obvious he wasn't good enough ? One could go on and on.

I'm just willing to pay out a bunch of benefit of the doubt rope to ZT because I'm so happy ML is gone.

I hear ya, I'm just saying if we are suddenly ok with Ross being tossed in the trash as soon as the ZT-era begins, we have to tip our hats a bit to Marvin for being ahead of the curve by not stuffing the guy into the gameplan like we wanted.

As for all our recent draft busts, I'm more inclined to place the blame on the guy who has been drafting busts for almost 3 decades, but that's just my wishful thinking.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 06:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: During this season we concluded at various points that neither the MVP QB nor the QB who eventually won his 6th SB could be successful here...yet somehow we are still optimistic about 2019.

Again, fandom intrigues me so.  Anyways, I'm not sure how I turned this into me sounding like I was on the Mahommes train from draft day onward...I wasn't.  I'm just saying seeing Mahommes being better than Ross isn't the sort of thing that requires the magic of hindsight. 

In all fairness, being the MVP in your 1st year as a starter does sort of catch the eyes of people.  Also, I'd have to say that more than 1% of football fans had the idea that Mahommes was going to be better/more important than John Ross.  One guy is the "best" player in the league right now and one is being shopped for what may end up being a late-round pick.  Someone had to see this coming.

1.)  I think people want to believe that the front office is capable of making proper roster moves to improve this team. Honestly you add a good LB and a starting capable RT this team is capable of good things.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
So we're adding needs. Awesome. How much will anybody give you for a guy they know you don't want?

At least 2 LB, TE, at least 2 OL, and that's not including any kind of depth, now WR3. We're bound to add all that in one draft.

I guess we're in the heads will roll period now. Be interesting to see who goes next.

CedO and Fisher both will be gone. Hart, bound to be gone. While I like the idea of getting rid of underachievers, how many of them can you shuck at once.

So now we'll have one LB who is even serviceable, 2 WR's, no TE's, one OT whose best days may or may not be behind him, one starter quality G, a first round C with miles to go to justify his draft status and who was outplayed by his backup.

And we don't even have a viable backup QB.

One thing is for sure, we won't be drafting for depth this year. We'll have to sign a bunch of FA's just to get to 53.

It'll be interesting to see the rest of his plan, but I really hope starting over is not part of it. We were bad last year. God forbid we get worse.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I’ll mark this in the good idea, smart move category. He’s a pick that several of us hated as it was being made. Don’t be surprised with a 4th or 5th Round return. Hopefully the early round drafting gets better.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 06:51 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’ll mark this in the good idea, smart move category. He’s a pick that several of us hated as it was being made. Don’t be surprised with a 4th or 5th Round return. Hopefully the early round drafting gets better.

Trading him now is the best way to get the absolute minimum for him, so yeah, smart.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Like I’ve said a few times I have to wonder if he was part of a package we proposed.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mellow

Duke tobin should be proud...

Pretty pathetic if we are excited to get a 4th for a 9th overall pick. I hope the guy/girl responsible for this 90s esk front office crapshow we have seen the last few years humbles themselves and gives Taylor way more power. I dont want there to be anymore consensus voting for draft picks. I want taylor to be able to make his own team with no pushback from the clowns in the fo.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 06:53 PM)McC Wrote: Trading him now is the best way to get the absolute minimum for him, so yeah, smart.

I'm with you.  I don't like Ross and and watching people demand to see more of him in the past 2 years seemed more like people wanting to see what a 3rd string QB can do because "why not?" than an actual top 10 pick.  With that being said, the guy must seem like a super bust to ZT if he'd rather roll with a 5th round pick than actually see if he can fix Ross.

My mind is open, but this also looks like they're just not even going to give it a shot, which should be disappointing as hell to all the people who wanted more more more Ross Ross Ross for the past 2 years.
Reply/Quote
don't be surprised when he ends up with the Patriots

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 06:57 PM)Okeana Wrote: don't be surprised when he ends up with the Patriots

A guy who quit on his routes?? Yeah right
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 06:57 PM)Okeana Wrote: don't be surprised when he ends up with the Patriots

I won't be, and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it the whole year with them either.  Then again, he could be awesome with the Patriots...I'm not holding my breath, but I have to admit seeing them get more SB rings than the Steelers is about all I live for, sadly.

As UberHuber pointed out, Ross has his share of red flags. Then again, the Patriots could get him for a late comp pick-level investment. Ugh, the ROI on this guy could really blow for us, but sunk cost and so on.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 06:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm with you.  I don't like Ross and and watching people demand to see more of him in the past 2 years seemed more like people wanting to see what a 3rd string QB can do because "why not?" than an actual top 10 pick.  With that being said, the guy must seem like a super bust to ZT if he'd rather roll with a 5th round pick than actually see if he can fix Ross.

My mind is open, but this also looks like they're just not even going to give it a shot, which should be disappointing as hell to all the people who wanted more more more Ross Ross Ross for the past 2 years.
I can't help thinking if a guy can get open in the end zone, from the 4 yard line, that has to mean the guy can get open.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 07:01 PM)McC Wrote: I can't help thinking if a guy can get open in the end zone, from the 4 yard line, that has to mean the guy can get open.

Maybe he should go to the CFL where he can have like 20 yards of endzone to use to make his 1 catch per game.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:09 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I disagree. You'd get a 4th rounder at best for this guy right now, and that's a pathetic ROI.

We have this brand new offensive-minded HC in place and an entirely new set of assistants.

I see no good reason not to try him out with this new staff instead of dumping him off for pennies on the dollar.

This.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 07:01 PM)McC Wrote: I can't help thinking if a guy can get open in the end zone, from the 4 yard line, that has to mean the guy can get open.

Agreed!
Also he is a third or fourth option at best when everyone was healthy and when he was the # 1 option he had a backup throwing him the ball.
J24

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 07:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This.

It'd be nice to know who is leading the "Trade Ross" charge, though.  The obvious answer is ZT, but it'd downright befuddling that Ross' stock here would plummet AFTER Marvin Lewis left.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 07:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I won't be, and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it the whole year with them either.  Then again, he could be awesome with the Patriots...I'm not holding my breath, but I have to admit seeing them get more SB rings than the Steelers is about all I live for, sadly.

As UberHuber pointed out, Ross has his share of red flags.  Then again, the Patriots could get him for a late comp pick-level investment.  Ugh, the ROI on this guy could really blow for us, but sunk cost and so on.

lmao ok bro you're just sauced up on hatorade today don't worry I've been there.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 07:19 PM)Okeana Wrote: lmao ok bro you're just sauced up on hatorade today don't worry I've been there.  

Is it hate for John Ross?  I figured me being all for getting rid of the guy would be a sign that I'm supportive of our new HC (someone I've been accused of being a hater of, as well).

The way I sees it Marvin said no to Ross for 2 years and ZT shows up and immediately says HEEEELLL no, to Ross.  It's starting to look like Ross vs the world, isn't it?

EDIT - Oh wait, you meant hate for the Steelers...yeah, I admit that 100+%
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 07:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe he should go to the CFL where he can have like 20 yards of endzone to use to make his 1 catch per game.

You see his Washington tape and how they used him with great success and then you see the Bengals use him in exactly none of those ways and I can't help but wonder, what the hell did they expect?

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 07:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It'd be nice to know who is leading the "Trade Ross" charge, though.  The obvious answer is ZT, but it'd downright befuddling that Ross' stock here would plummet AFTER Marvin Lewis left.

It is especially considering that Taylors system would seem to favor a guy like Ross. Looking at Cooks success in LA, Crowder success in Washington, and  Gabriel success in the same system with Kyle shanahan in Cleveland and Atlanta.
J24

Reply/Quote