Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign Kerry Wynn
You mean not Chris Carter, the flamboyant hair dresser and alternative dance choreographer?
I'm shocked..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 02:01 PM)grampahol Wrote: You mean not Chris Carter, the flamboyant hair dresser and alternative dance choreographer?
I'm shocked..

Are you talking about this guy? 

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 01:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Who has the issue? I haven't hated on the Bengals for signing him. I'm just seeing the signing for what it is. 

He'll add to special teams, he's "ok" depth. Nothing to get excited about with this signing, but no issue from me. 

Btw, you don't remember the Chris Carter pre-season hype? I do. Here's an article from back then:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/9/4/9261899/linebacker-chris-carter-from-nfl-journeyman-to-bengals-roster-lock

Hobson had a hype article about him as well, but it looks like it's been deleted.

Carter was actually good for us and then we decided to keep Clarke and Hunt instead. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Gives us a reason to not bring back MJ and he can play special teams. Im ok with this.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 03:33 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Carter was actually good for us and then we decided to keep Clarke and Hunt instead. 

He made the 53 man roster in 2015. They talk about it in the article I posted.

He played in 13 games and posted 6 tackles in 113 snaps.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2015-snap-counts.htm
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 04:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He made the 53 man roster in 2015. They talk about it in the article I posted.

It's as if preseason games are meaningless in a lot of ways as far as predicting how well a player will go in the Pros.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 05:58 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Per twitter. One year deal.

D line depth and quality special teamer. We're heading to the Super Bowl boys 

(03-22-2019, 05:59 PM)Trademark Wrote: Who ? Super bowl winners that's who.

(03-22-2019, 06:00 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Oh thank goodness, I was beginning to think we weren't going to the Super Bowl

(03-22-2019, 06:06 PM)milksheikh Wrote: One of my friends is a Giants fan and he told me that we're heading to the Super Bowl

[Image: superbowl-party.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 04:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He made the 53 man roster in 2015. They talk about it in the article I posted.

He never really had an opportunity to play and once he did he got cut. Not saying he was a superstar but he could have helped us in an area of need.
J24

Reply/Quote
The Bengals sign scrubs and fans are like 'Depth signing. Or camp fodder.' Just like they did with Bobby Hart last year...then he ended up starting. And he didn't end up starting because he was great. He was just less bad than the terrible options we had.
Reply/Quote
Some people have made some rather bold statements about how bad we will be be and how terrible the whole FA period has been. God forbid they end up being wrong.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I don't think we'll end up 3-13 or 4-12 BECAUSE of free agency...but I do feel like with the money we had to spend and the money that we spent that we could have upgraded the roster better.

It's kind of like sending a kid to the store with $50. You have some milk and eggs at home. The kid comes back with 2 cases of pop, 5 bags of potato chips, 2 gallons of milk, and a dozen eggs. He could have bough some high quality foods to have good meals instead.

IF we win 7-8 games this year...with better acquisitions in free agency, we could have win 9-10 games.

It's kind of like that every year for the Bengals. People look at the 2015 season as our best roster. Even at that, we had weaknesses at Center and our LB's couldn't cover TE's. Would it have hurt to go for it that year and add a quality Center in free agency?

That's something that fans who are on here parroting their support for every move don't get.

And it's not like the Bengals aren't spending money this offseason. It's just that the money they are spending isn't on guys who are better than last years starters...with the possible exception of Miller...but that's even debateable as he had 3 rough year sin the league then improved some last year.

The Bengals big hope this year is that the other teams in the division got worse and we also play a last place schedule! Yay! Way to go out and be proactive.
Reply/Quote
I like this signing. Wynn has some upside, is on a cheap contract, and should do well against the run. Now if the team would offer a late round pick for Darron Lee...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 07:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't think we'll end up 3-13 or 4-12 BECAUSE of free agency...but I do feel like with the money we had to spend and the money that we spent that we could have upgraded the roster better.

It's kind of like sending a kid to the store with $50. You have some milk and eggs at home. The kid comes back with 2 cases of pop, 5 bags of potato chips, 2 gallons of milk, and a dozen eggs. He could have bough some high quality foods to have good meals instead.

IF we win 7-8 games this year...with better acquisitions in free agency, we could have win 9-10 games.

It's kind of like that every year for the Bengals. People look at the 2015 season as our best roster. Even at that, we had weaknesses at Center and our LB's couldn't cover TE's. Would it have hurt to go for it that year and add a quality Center in free agency?

That's something that fans who are on here parroting their support for every move don't get.

And it's not like the Bengals aren't spending money this offseason. It's just that the money they are spending isn't on guys who are better than last years starters...with the possible exception of Miller...but that's even debateable as he had 3 rough year sin the league then improved some last year.

The Bengals big hope this year is that the other teams in the division got worse and we also play a last place schedule! Yay! Way to go out and be proactive.

Who should we have signed that same money on? The LB who broke the bank? The OT who is now the highest paid lineman in the game, a guy the World Champs willingly let walk away? Who?

Maybe the LB who's missed games every year of his career or the LB coming off the ACL.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 07:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't think we'll end up 3-13 or 4-12 BECAUSE of free agency...but I do feel like with the money we had to spend and the money that we spent that we could have upgraded the roster better.

Agreed plus it let's you go BPA in the draft right now we're pigeon hold in what we have to draft this year. 
Also good point on 2011- 2015 those rosters we're good but they had major weaknesses at LB, Edge Rusher, and Center. If those needs we're addressed we probably win a title.
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 08:34 PM)McC Wrote: Who should we have signed that same money on?  The LB  who broke the bank?  The OT who is now the highest paid lineman in the game, a guy the World Champs willingly let walk away?  Who?

Maybe the LB who's missed games every year of his career or the LB coming off the ACL.

I guess you're in the group that breaks free agency down to only players who sign insane contracts.

The reality is there are lots of players out there who can improve teams and many don't sign insane contracts. Signing 2 bad players for the same cost as 1 above average to good player doesn't make a team better.

Honestly, it's fans that get excited about signing Bobby Hart and Kerry Wynn thinking there were no better moves to make that enable Bengals Management to keep doing it.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 08:14 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: I like this signing.  Wynn has some upside, is on a cheap contract, and should do well against the run.  Now if the team would offer a late round pick for Darron Lee...

Wynn is 28 too. It's not like he's some 24 year old kid that might improve with playing time. He is what he is...a special teamer.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 08:59 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Agreed plus it let's you go BPA in the draft right now we're pigeon hold in what we have to draft this year. 
Also good point on 2011- 2015 those rosters we're good but they had major weaknesses at LB, Edge Rusher, and Center. If those needs we're addressed we probably win a title.

Exactly. And what makes the 2011-2015 inactivity worse is that they reason they kept rolling the money over was to retain players into the future to remain competitive. Well...we haven't made the playoffs in each of the past 3 seasons...AND we always seem to have a lot of cap space in the offseason.

So had we signed an Alex Mack in 2015 or whenever likely wouldn't have impacted us keeping Green, Atkins, and Dunlap.

Then, they extend guys like Burfict who are clearly on the decline. (Look at this stats. His best years were his 1st 2 in the league.)
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 09:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I guess you're in the group that breaks free agency down to only players who sign insane contracts.

The reality is there are lots of players out there who can improve teams and many don't sign insane contracts. Signing 2 bad players for the same cost as 1 above average to good player doesn't make a team better.

Honestly, it's fans that get excited about signing Bobby Hart and Kerry Wynn thinking there were no better moves to make that enable Bengals Management to keep doing it.

I'm still waiting for a name.  Give me a name.

When I see the complaints, nobody ever gives a name of a mid tier guy who could have helped us.

Reply/Quote
I'd rather have Daryl Williams at Tackle than Hart.

LJ Fort as I've mentioned numerous times and he got less than $2 million a year. At that price, even if he ends up your 4th LB that's a good get. But, I think he'll be atleast an above average starter.

Depending on what Dennard got paid, Steven Nelson may have been a better option. Nelson's contract averaged about $8 million a year and he's better than Dennard.

Denzel Perryman at LB.

Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix at Safety although we're fairly set there.

There are many more out there too. To think that there are no free agents out there capable of upgrading the roster is just sill talk. And it's basically buying into the Bengals front office PR. It's basically not worth responding to either any more as you obviously have an agenda to defend any move the Bengals make...no matter how inconsequential.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 09:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wynn is 28 too. It's not like he's some 24 year old kid that might improve with playing time. He is what he is...a special teamer.

He’s not terrible either. Decent run defender, good special teamer, might net 2-4 sacks per year in a rotation role. I’m not bowled over by the signing, but it’s not a bad signing either. It’s definitely better than giving our dumpster fire of a RT a fat contract to give up 10-20 sacks per year.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote