Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign Kerry Wynn
(03-24-2019, 10:45 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: He’s not terrible either.  Decent run defender, good special teamer, might net 2-4 sacks per year in a rotation role.  I’m not bowled over by the signing, but it’s not a bad signing either.  It’s definitely better than giving our dumpster fire of a RT a fat contract to give up 10-20 sacks per year.

It's a meh signing. When you have $50+ million in cap space and a 6-10 roster, you should be able to come out of the offseason and be like: We upgraded these 3 positions in a clear way.

All we can say is, we added some depth guys and IF healthy the roster should be better. We could have clearly upgraded 3 positions AND still got healthy.

A guy like Kerry Wynn in isolation isn't a terrible signing. The fact that he's one of the best external signings is bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 01:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's a meh signing. When you have $50+ million in cap space and a 6-10 roster, you should be able to come out of the offseason and be like: We upgraded these 3 positions in a clear way.

All we can say is, we added some depth guys and IF healthy the roster should be better. We could have clearly upgraded 3 positions AND still got healthy.

A guy like Kerry Wynn in isolation isn't a terrible signing. The fact that he's one of the best external signings is bad.

Agree 100%
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 01:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's a meh signing. When you have $50+ million in cap space and a 6-10 roster, you should be able to come out of the offseason and be like: We upgraded these 3 positions in a clear way.

Clearly upgraded with who?  Still waiting for names.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 01:59 PM)McC Wrote: Clearly upgraded with who?  Still waiting for names.

Yeah...I posted some above already in post 59.

Do you really think that there are absolutely no free agents out there who can improve this 6-10 roster? That's a textbook case of homeritis.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 03:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...I posted some above already in post 59.

Do you really think that there are absolutely no free agents out there who can improve this 6-10 roster? That's a textbook case of homeritis.

Ummm the best players are Bengal players duhhh
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 10:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd rather have Daryl Williams at Tackle than Hart.

LJ Fort as I've mentioned numerous times and he got less than $2 million a year. At that price, even if he ends up your 4th LB that's a good get. But, I think he'll be atleast an above average starter.

Depending on what Dennard got paid, Steven Nelson may have been a better option. Nelson's contract averaged about $8 million a year and he's better than Dennard.

Denzel Perryman at LB.

Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix at Safety although we're fairly set there.

There are many more out there too. To think that there are no free agents out there capable of upgrading the roster is just sill talk. And it's basically buying into the Bengals front office PR. It's basically not worth responding to either any more as you obviously have an agenda to defend any move the Bengals make...no matter how inconsequential.

So, in other words, not much. 

Williams is coming off knee surgery.  He signed a one year deal with the team he was already on.  Did we really have much of a chnce there?  How much do you want to spend for a big man who blew a knee less than a year ago.

Perryman is a MLB, which is not what we were really looking for, plus he signed an extension with the team he had been on and is coming off a year ending knee injury.

Are we tired of injured players or aren't we?

Fort had no passes defensed, no int's, and 48 tackles for the Steelers, who need LB's but wouldn't even bring him back for less than 2 mil a year.

I'll give you Nelson as a maybe.

So, you really don't have much of anything though you act like you solved the riddle of the Sphinx--two injured players and a 3/4 guy the team he was on thought nothing of.  Yeah, that's a real slam dunk.  Just say a name and poof, sign him, he's here and he's the answer.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 04:24 PM)McC Wrote: So, in other words, not much. 

Williams is coming off knee surgery.  He signed a one year deal with the team he was already on.  Did we really have much of a chnce there?  How much do you want to spend for a big man who blew a knee less than a year ago.

Perryman is a MLB, which is not what we were really looking for, plus he signed an extension with the team he had been on and is coming off a year ending knee injury.

Are we tired of injured players or aren't we?

Fort had no passes defensed, no int's, and 48 tackles for the Steelers, who need LB's but wouldn't even bring him back for less than 2 mil a year.

I'll give you Nelson as a maybe.

So, you really don't have much of anything though you act like you solved the riddle of the Sphinx--two injured players and a 3/4 guy the team he was on thought nothing of.  Yeah, that's a real slam dunk.  Just say a name and poof, sign him, he's here and he's the answer.

The Bengals brainwashing PR machine has gotten to you. What can I say? Free agency is bad. There were no free agents out there other than Kerry Wynn, Webb, and John Miller who would improve the team.  Hilarious And you can say the same thing about them as you did about Fort, why didn't their team want them back if they were so good?

Ironically, it's the homers who enable the Bengals to keep using the same strategy that hasn't led to a playoff win in 27+ years. Keep cheering them on. MB needs fans too! Keep hitting Refresh on Bengals.com maybe there will be a new story coming out soon that you can sink your teeth into! Maybe a Kerry Wynn hype story with Wynn and Win used in the title!

Homers gonna home.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 06:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals brainwashing PR machine has gotten to you. What can I say? Free agency is bad. There were no free agents out there other than Kerry Wynn, Webb, and John Miller who would improve the team.  Hilarious And you can say the same thing about them as you did about Fort, why didn't their team want them back if they were so good?

Ironically, it's the homers who enable the Bengals to keep using the same strategy that hasn't led to a playoff win in 27+ years. Keep cheering them on. MB needs fans too! Keep hitting Refresh on Bengals.com maybe there will be a new story coming out soon that you can sink your teeth into! Maybe a Kerry Wynn hype story with Wynn and Win used in the title!

Homers gonna home.

I see you're not arguing with anything I actually said, just launching back into your endless spiel once again.  You threw up a list of guys who all had some kind of question mark attached, things that might have come back to haunt us later and lead people like you to launch into it again. And you even got your magic phrase 27 years in.  Is it on your license plate?  Do you live on 27th St? 

Of course I'm gonna keep cheering them on.  I'm not a paid critiquer like you.  I'm just a plain ordinary stupid fan who can't be bothered with bitching all day every day about something that I have no control over.  And, just so you know, I am a homer.  That's what fan means, duh.  So if you're slinging that at me again and again as an insult, which you clearly are, stop wasting your typing fingers.  I wear the phrase like a badge.

Seems homer and fan go hand in hand.  The confounding thing is hater and fan.  Most normal people run like hell from things they can't stand, things that drive them crazy, things they have no faith in or hope for or love of, things which only piss them off.  I guess that's just the rational in me.

Unlike you, I don't think having a keyboard makes me an expert on anything or grants me license to endlessly complain.  A complaint expressed once is forever expressed.

Only the lamest of the lame think constant repetition is necessary.  It's like the damn drunk at the party who can't stop saying the same shit over and over again or the nutjob on the street corner downtown, or a fool on Jerry Springer, the one people can't get away from fast enough.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 08:59 PM)McC Wrote: I see you're not arguing with anything I actually said, just launching back into your endless spiel once again.  You threw up a list of guys who all had some kind of question mark attached, things that might have come back to haunt us later and lead people like you to launch into it again. And you even got your magic phrase 27 years in.  Is it on your license plate?  Do you live on 27th St? 

Of course I'm gonna keep cheering them on.  I'm not a paid critiquer like you.  I'm just a plain ordinary stupid fan who can't be bothered with bitching all day every day about something that I have no control over.  And, just so you know, I am a homer.  That's what fan means, duh.  So if you're slinging that at me again and again as an insult, which you clearly are, stop wasting your typing fingers.  I wear the phrase like a badge.

Seems homer and fan go hand in hand.  The confounding thing is hater and fan.  Most normal people run like hell from things they can't stand, things that drive them crazy, things they have no faith in or hope for or love of, things which only piss them off.  I guess that's just the rational in me.

Unlike you, I don't think having a keyboard makes me an expert on anything or grants me license to endlessly complain.  A complaint expressed once is forever expressed.

Only the lamest of the lame think constant repetition is necessary.  It's like the damn drunk at the party who can't stop saying the same shit over and over again or the nutjob on the street corner downtown, or a fool on Jerry Springer, the one people can't get away from fast enough.

So your definition of being a fan is looking past redflags and being on here talking about how every move is great despite evidence to the contrary?

And it's funny, you see risk in signing free agents on my risk...but do you see risk signing a known bad Tackle like Bobby Hart? Or a Guard like John Miller who was in and out of the Bills lineup due to poor play for several years? It's not like those 2 guys are sure things.

The irony is: You act like you don't complain, but a lot of what you do is complain about negative posts. Congrats!
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 09:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So your definition of being a fan is looking past redflags and being on here talking about how every move is great despite evidence to the contrary?

And it's funny, you see risk in signing free agents on my risk...but do you see risk signing a known bad Tackle like Bobby Hart? Or a Guard like John Miller who was in and out of the Bills lineup due to poor play for several years? It's not like those 2 guys are sure things.

The irony is: You act like you don't complain, but a lot of what you do is complain about negative posts. Congrats!

I don't do anything like that.  All I'm saying is say it a time or two and then say something else.  We get your point.  What else ya got?  Try a new loop.  Stop trying so hard to make us all suffer.  

Reply/Quote
How abouts we live and let live, guys? There are no rules against being positive or negative.

Stop trying to force the boards to suit your own personal needs. If you take issue with someone's post, debate it with facts.

The last thing anyone wants to see on here is another homer vs hater debate.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Wynn is a Bengal. Welcome. Here is a blurb that the NY media wrote about losing him to us in FA....

While never a splashy player, Wynn has been a favorite of several coaching staffs for his work ethic and relentless motor. The Giants originally signed Wynn as an undrafted free agent out of Richmond after the 2014 draft. Wynn served the Giants well as a reserve (and sometimes starting) defensive linemen and a key special teams player in his five years since entering the league.
https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/3/22/18277823/2019-nfl-free-agency-kerry-wynn-signs-cincinnati-bengals-ny-giants

Sounds like a Workin man....I like it.
Reply/Quote
Kerry Wynn has never had more than 1.5 sacks in his season in his career.
I would hope he's just a filler and there's a good possibility he's replaced through the draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 10:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Kerry Wynn has never had more than 1.5 sacks in his season in his career.
I would hope he's just a filler and there's a good possibility he's replaced through the draft.

We all said that about Bobby Hart last year.

I really think the plan is for Wynn to be a part of the rotation. What I don't get is we have Lawson coming back. Dunlap. Willis. Hubbard. That's 4 pretty solid DE's. I guess Wynn is here for injury depth?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 10:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We all said that about Bobby Hart last year.

I really think the plan is for Wynn to be a part of the rotation. What I don't get is we have Lawson coming back. Dunlap. Willis. Hubbard. That's 4 pretty solid DE's. I guess Wynn is here for injury depth?

The Bengals kept 5 DEs last year even though we thought MJ was going to be cut. Given Wynn has played across the line, I would assume he's going to be base DE and nickel DT, just like MJ was. However, unlike MJ, I'd expect Wynn will NOT be a starter. I hate to say it, but I think Willis will have to battle Wynn for being active on gamedays.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Gotta have guys on the back end of the roster too. ST'er and hard working backup. Nothing wrong with that.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 10:26 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals kept 5 DEs last year even though we thought MJ was going to be cut. Given Wynn has played across the line, I would assume he's going to be base DE and nickel DT, just like MJ was. However, unlike MJ, I'd expect Wynn will NOT be a starter. I hate to say it, but I think Willis will have to battle Wynn for being active on gamedays.

I wonder how Lawson's recovery is going too. I wonder if he'll be ready for Game 1?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 10:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder how Lawson's recovery is going too. I wonder if he'll be ready for Game 1?

I'd consider bringing in Aaron Lynch just in case. Lynch has the type of athleticism similar to Lawson and is only 26. He's still somehow still not signed (did I miss something?).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 10:55 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd consider bringing in Aaron Lynch just in case. Lynch has the type of athleticism similar to Lawson and is only 26. He's still somehow still not signed (did I miss something?).

Last I looked he was a free agent still.
Reply/Quote
By the numbers it'll be hard to get a draft pick at DE on the roster if you guys believe Wynn will make the club.

I don't see why he shouldn't with his special teams acclaim. So that's interesting. Unless the DE we(potentially) draft takes Willis's spot.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote