Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals signing Kevin Minter
(03-18-2017, 08:07 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Bengals.com now confirms the signing.

Awesome, I hope we cut Rey M. now and maybe sign him later for a reduced contract of 2 million or less or not at all
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats

Judging by that article, the writing is on the wall for Maualuga.  Minter playing both inside spots, Vigil getting a starting job, and the possible need to release a player.  It all adds up and it's about time if it actually happens.
Well it's about freaking time we did something somewhat intelligent this offseason
(03-18-2017, 07:59 PM)Shady Wrote: Cool. Check THIS out

Uh, showing highlights of a game where Minter and his defense gave up 48 points might not have been the best choice..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
FINALLY! Some good news! I'm looking forward to the havoc he and Burfict will cause next season!

Question though...who out of the three of Burfict, Vigil, and Minter come off the field on 3rd and long?
(03-18-2017, 08:10 PM)samhain Wrote: Judging by that article, the writing is on the wall for Maualuga.  Minter playing both inside spots, Vigil getting a starting job, and the possible need to release a player.  It all adds up and it's about time if it actually happens.

Oh please don't get my hopes up
(03-18-2017, 08:10 PM)samhain Wrote: Judging by that article, the writing is on the wall for Maualuga.  Minter playing both inside spots, Vigil getting a starting job, and the possible need to release a player.  It all adds up and it's about time if it actually happens.

That would be good news.
(03-18-2017, 07:57 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Am I the only one not excited about this move. It's out of the ordinary for the Bengals sure but why not get a LBer that can cover for a change. Reports say he struggled with TE's and RB's. Now our top 3 LBers will be FA's after this season. Again glad we are waking up in FA finally just not that impressed with this kid.

Im not jumpin out of my chair with glee, but it is something at least. At worst he is serviceable for a year. At best he will do really good on an 8-8 team, and of course will move on. I dont see him as a difference maker though, and more of a solid band-aid signing.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(03-18-2017, 08:16 PM)Housh Wrote: Cause the Bengals winning zero playoff games in my whole lifetime and the criticism that comes from it is definitely a "little thing"

Once again my bad for not talking badly about such a storied franchise man

Ive never seen you say a single positive thing.   :paul:

[Image: giphy.gif]
Good signing by the FO.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.

When Hobson says they need to make another move to make room for Minter, I hope it's releasing Maualuga.

Here's Mikey's nightmare the about what might happen with leftover cap space he wants to hang onto. Not that I think releasing Maualuga would be bad. He's overpaid and underperforms.

[Image: 420641e229b8ae26f68c36113510670c_man-cry...-1300.jpeg]

I've seen a lot of Cards fans calling him an average player. His numbers aren't overly thrilling, either. That said, it's a young guy (26) that has started the last 32 games for a pretty stout defense. Not exactly the most exciting move ever, but solid...for the Bengals.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(03-18-2017, 08:16 PM)Housh Wrote: Cause the Bengals winning zero playoff games in my whole lifetime and the criticism that comes from it is definitely a "little thing"

Once again my bad for not talking badly about such a storied franchise man

Are you hearing yourself right now? 

"I can't be happy about a good thing because of the bad things that happened...  Cry WAAAAAAAA!!!!!"

We aren't talking about the entire history of the Bengals, we are talking about one Free Agent signing which is why the thread titled "Bengals signing Kevin Minter".
(03-18-2017, 08:44 PM)Housh Wrote: Were talking about losing players in FA who were productive and replacing them with solid players but not getting ANY long term security at all

Ok its a good deal if you only give a shit about 1 year

I like that the LB core is automatically better for one year but name another positive?

Once again sorry if you feel like im supposed to be jumping out my pants right now for signing a solid player for 1 year. Im clearly excited but 1 year doesn't appease me at all.

That leaves us with NOTHING after a year. He plays good he gets more money elsewhere and leaves, he does bad and no one cares he leaves anyway.

Whose crying?

Wheres the irrational talk?

Sorry I don't share your opinion bro but don't come at me with that bull

One year may be all we need.

Its March 18th. 

This signing gives us time to see what we have in Vigil and perhaps an early round LB from the Draft. 

You know whats irrational? Crying about a scenario that hasn't happened yet, if we draft a LB in the first few rounds of the draft everything you just said is pointless. 

You are literally sitting here whining about something that may never happen, but instead of waiting to see how the draft as well as the rest of the off-season goes you would rather be a drama queen and whine about a solid FA signing.

Sorry you think waiting for the off-season to play out before I start whining about the next years off-season is "bull".
I know we're all salty right now (for plenty of factual and valid reasons), but I don't see a 1 year deal as a terrible thing.

I mean they did just sign LaFell for 2 more years after his 1 year deal.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(03-18-2017, 07:13 PM)Housh Wrote: What if we find out its a 1 year deal lol

I think it is....Which probably means they start him at SAM, and he's a non factor.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Let's keep the talk about Minter.

Everybody knows the Bengals don't like to start rookies and this means we can still go ILB in the draft and have that player rotate for a year. Seems like a good signing at a reasonable price. If he works out great, if not maybe he can help transition a rookie or perhaps PJ. This signing gives us lots of options. Just because we signed him for one year doesn't mean we cannot re-sign him. We originally signed our last solid FA ILB to a 1 year deal, he stuck around for 4.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-18-2017, 09:01 PM)Housh Wrote: So WTF do you want me to say since im supposed to share your opinion?

1 year deal was crap imo but I like that hes on the team now. You aint getting nothing else outta me dude. Taking opinions out of it its a low risk low reward move.

I honestly don't give a shit if you share my opinion but if you are already complaining about a FA signing because of next offseason when we haven't even had the draft yet then you shouldn't get upset if someone points out how silly that is.

I mean everyone of your post have been complaining about the past or the future (one you dreamed up in your head btw), sometimes a solid move is just a solid move that doesn't need that last 50 years and the next 2 years put into the equation.

(03-18-2017, 09:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let's keep the talk about Minter.

Everybody knows the Bengals don't like to start rookies and this means we can still go ILB in the draft and have that player rotate for a year. Seems like a good signing at a reasonable price. If he works out great, if not maybe he can help transition a rookie or perhaps PJ. This signing gives us lots of options. Just because we signed him for one year doesn't mean we cannot re-sign him. We originally signed our last solid FA ILB to a 1 year deal, he stuck around for 4.

Exactly my thoughts, no need for the sky is falling we have nothing at LB after next year talk when we haven't even had the draft yet.
(03-18-2017, 09:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let's keep the talk about Minter.

Good points

The reality is we came off a 4-12 season, lost our franchise QB, hired a new OC and drafted a 2nd round QB who had no rookie camp due to CBA, we were all distraught, but made the playoffs. That was our last losing season prior to last year and no way this team is less talented than that team
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Comments from Cardinals fans on PFT:

Quote:He was ok with the Cardinals, nothing more

Quote:As a Cardinals fan, he was very unmemorable – meh

Quote:Kevin Minter is a league average LB, he won’t win you games, he won’t lose them for you. Good, solid citizen. Wish him luck in Cincy.

Quote:minter is a productive and very durable player. and he is a young. his play speaks for itself. a good addition to the bengals’ defense. conversely, the cardinals are not getting better.

Quote:Good, solid, above average player. If you had 11 defensive players like him you’d have the best defense in the league.

Quote:Silly. AZ has a very good defense and us fans look at Minter, along with CB2 opposite Peterson, as the weak links we needed to upgrade. He’s been a disappointment but in his final year was good against the run but slow on pass coverage. The Cards D coaches adapted to using him to succeed where they knew he could and he did what was asked, but none of us in the Cardinals message board wanted or expected a re-signing unless he became a backup. We know Dansby well and old Dansby is an upgrade on Minter…and we still want an upgrade on Dansby.