Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bengals staff limiting playbook to help Joe and his injury.
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/19/bengals-dialed-back-playbook-prevent-joe-burrow-injury/

Seems I recall someone on here opining that the playbook wasn't being opened up much due to protecting Joe and his leg. Whoever it was, you can take your bow.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 03:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/19/bengals-dialed-back-playbook-prevent-joe-burrow-injury/

Seems I recall someone on here opining that the playbook wasn't being opened up much due to protecting Joe and his leg. Whoever it was, you can take your bow.

I was one that said something like that, I'm not sure if anyone else said it:

(09-18-2023, 10:25 AM)PhilHos Wrote: That said, it is CLEAR that the gameplan the last 2 games has been to protect Burrow's calf. We've been in shotgun like 99% of the time, we're not doing QB sneaks, we're not doing rollouts; basically, when we're not running the ball (which you could argue we could/should be doing more of), Burrow is just standing there passing and even then, they're not long developing plays so that Burrow can just make a quick read and pass so there's less of a chance for him to get pressured and have to scramble around.

We're effectively shortened our playbook. Yes, it sucks, but the alternatives are hope Burrow doesn't get injured but play normally or don't even have him play. And if he's not playing, we're probably still 0-2.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
And defenses have known this and have been playing us that way...

We have been blitzed a shit ton over the first two games. That is by design. Guy is a sitting duck back there.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 03:39 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I was one that said something like that, I'm not sure if anyone else said it:

Yes, that's the post. Kudos Phil!

(09-19-2023, 03:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And defenses have known this and have been playing us that way...

We have been blitzed a shit ton over the first two games. That is by design. Guy is a sitting duck back there.

Yup... that's exactly why they're blitzing us after rarely doing it last year.

Reply/Quote
seems like we'd be better off not playing him instead and let someone actually get game experience while he tries to recover to 100%. 0-2 anyway and now more injured, did a bad job "protecting" him so far.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 03:39 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I was one that said something like that, I'm not sure if anyone else said it:

Very good. It sounds like you could have written the article being cited: eg., no snaps under center or designed rollouts and mostly quick throws. (https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/19/bengals-dialed-back-playbook-prevent-joe-burrow-injury/)
Reply/Quote
Good call Philhos. Still, I think Burrow should of shredded the blitz better than he has even without the agility.

He has definitely been limited as we now know for sure. Thought so as well, but I thought it was more of the terrible
weather in the first game and I haven't watched the Ravens game yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 03:50 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: seems like we'd be better off not playing him instead and let someone actually get game experience while he tries to recover to 100%. 0-2 anyway and now more injured, did a bad job "protecting" him so far.

Can’t get to 100% in game without taking some in game reps not at 100%. Not saying he needs to play every down or entire games but expecting him to sit out to “heal” and then come back in and magically be at 100% is unrealistic.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 03:37 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/19/bengals-dialed-back-playbook-prevent-joe-burrow-injury/

I said their play-calling is scheming is grade-school level at best and severely lacks any creativity.

Does that count?
Reply/Quote
Shortening the playbook was wise, but what would have been wiser was to expand it with more run fits. They could have done that as soon as Burrow went down in July, and worked on it all through training camp.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 03:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/19/bengals-dialed-back-playbook-prevent-joe-burrow-injury/

Hey Zac...its not working!!

Now that teams know hes hurt they are going to blitz him all the time, he cant throw it further than 10 yards...not good..
Reply/Quote
I get dialing the playbook back, but is it wrong for me to think I didn't see a change in the scheming to make up for Joe's leg?
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 03:50 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: seems like we'd be better off not playing him instead and let someone actually get game experience while he tries to recover to 100%. 0-2 anyway and now more injured, did a bad job "protecting" him so far.

I hate this post. But I agree with it. Just wish this wasn't our situation right now.

(09-19-2023, 05:11 PM)burreauxs Wrote: Can’t get to 100% in game without taking some in game reps not at 100%. Not saying he needs to play every down or entire games but expecting him to sit out to “heal” and then come back in and magically be at 100% is unrealistic.

That's what practice is for.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 04:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good call Philhos. Still, I think Burrow should of shredded the blitz better than he has even without the agility.

He has definitely been limited as we now know for sure. Thought so as well, but I thought it was more of the terrible
weather in the first game and I haven't watched the Ravens game yet.

He got MUCH better as the game wore on Nate. I just finished rewatching it. 

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 05:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: Shortening the playbook was wise, but what would have been wiser was to expand it with more run fits. They could have done that as soon as Burrow went down in July, and worked on it all through training camp.

Absolutely agree. Mixon is running like a man possessed. Feed him.

Reply/Quote
If this is true this was just a bonehead decision to have Burrow play in the first place.

Rest him up for the first month if necessary. Bring in a decent backup QB.

At this point it's going to drag on all season.

Taylor made one mistake in not resting Burrow when his calf was sore day 2 of camp.
He's letting that mistake snowball and I hope things resolve without further injury.
Reply/Quote
The old adage is, and will always be, true.

The best way to protect a QB is with a strong running game.
Reply/Quote
Good call PhilHo's !

Agree with you, JJ22, and Wyche and think they should have run more too.

It was the only facet of the offense that was even remotely successful as well, yet the Bengals threw the ball 41 times and ran 15 ?

Get that passing the rock is the signature of this Bengals offense. Just feel if they had knowledge of Burrow being injured enough to modify the scheme, then what better time to lean on their rushing attack ?

Oh well, it's spilled milk now.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 03:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And defenses have known this and have been playing us that way...

The Browns defense did not change their style against us, and have had handled Burrow before. We did not play that bad on offense with Ravens, we just did not have alot of possessions, we scored on 3 of 7 and the int we were in position to score again, so 4 out of 7 possessions we could have scored.. Ravens had one sack i believe and not that many pressures.... defense hurt us on Sunday.  Hell the Bengals were tight on Burrow, not like teams knew much anyway.. 
Reply/Quote

If the playbook has to be limited to accommodate for injury, how effective is the offense really going to be with said limited player?
What's been called so far is so limiting that there's no way it can be effective.
Bengals will need the defense to keep the score low in order to have any chance, as the offense won't do much.
Only 20 offensive points through 2 games.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote