Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals superbowl
If my Packers get knocked out I really hope you guys win it all. Your fans and organization deserve it. Most of us GB fans always love to see Cincy do well. I think only you guys have a shot to beat the Patriots in the AFC, nobody else does really. It is going to be a fun year. I liked your draft and that gives me high hopes that the Bengals will turn it around. My Packers hopefully will have a great year too but we will see.
Reply/Quote
It seems we go through this every year in regards to our draft. However, it seems to end up as a misnomer. We could draft all the best picks in the NFL. And they will either get injured, in trouble with the law, or a total misuse of their talents. There seems to be that one year the OL are out sync. Then the next year the Def. is out of sync.. Hopefully, one year we will get it right and this team will finally get out the playoffs and make it to the Big Dance !
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 10:47 AM)packerbacker Wrote: If my Packers get knocked out I really hope you guys win it all. Your fans and organization deserve it. Most of us GB fans always love to see Cincy do well. I think only you guys have a shot to beat the Patriots in the AFC, nobody else does really. It is going to be a fun year. I liked your draft and that gives me high hopes that the Bengals will turn it around. My Packers hopefully will have a great year too but we will see.
Thank you and I am a strong supporter of the Packers as one of my favorite teams outside of Bengals.. do you have season tickets to the Packers ??  I am debating maybe trying to make the game in GB this year... I am sure tickets are hard to come by and are expensive but I am going to look into it at least. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 11:47 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Thank you and I am a strong supporter of the Packers as one of my favorite teams outside of Bengals.. do you have season tickets to the Packers ??  I am debating maybe trying to make the game in GB this year... I am sure tickets are hard to come by and are expensive but I am going to look into it at least. 
No no season tickets here. At minimum one time we got tickets for $75 but at minimum they are usually $120 to $160 I think. Good seats are probably way up there.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 10:47 AM)packerbacker Wrote: If my Packers get knocked out I really hope you guys win it all. Your fans and organization deserve it. Most of us GB fans always love to see Cincy do well. I think only you guys have a shot to beat the Patriots in the AFC, nobody else does really. It is going to be a fun year. I liked your draft and that gives me high hopes that the Bengals will turn it around. My Packers hopefully will have a great year too but we will see.

You are a classy dude PB. We can definately hang with the Pats and with the additions of Billings and Minter over Peko and
Maualuga we should be much better on Defense against both the run and the pass. Last year we got burnt by Gronk and the
RB's in the passing game when we played the Pats.

We were leading in that game until our LB'ers lost it for us.

With Burfict, Minter and Vigil we now have 3 Linebackers starting that can all cover and tackle.

The one trick ponys of Peko and Maualuga are gone, thank God.
Reply/Quote
I think We will be good this year but I honestly think the team that will be a real bear to beat (other than the patriots) will be the raiders. Not only are they good but it certainly Seems like a good Super Bowl storyline. The NFL loves that.

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 01:32 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I think We will be good this year but I honestly think the team that will be a real bear to beat (other than the patriots) will be the raiders. Not only are they good but it certainly Seems like a good Super Bowl storyline. The NFL loves that.

True, the Titans might be pretty damn good this year too.
Reply/Quote
How good was the Bengals defense last season?
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 03:31 PM)packerbacker Wrote: How good was the Bengals defense last season?

I don't know the rankings but the first 8 games we were pretty bad cause we had 3 new coaches on Defense and Burfict
was out the first 4 games and came back fat.

We turned it around after the bye and were one of the best in points allowed.

I remember something like 2nd in points allowed over the last half of the season.

That was with Peko and Maualuga. Replacing those slouches with Billings and Minter should really help.

We were pretty tough to pass the ball on last year.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 03:31 PM)packerbacker Wrote: How good was the Bengals defense last season?

Mediocre the first half of the season but pretty damn good the last half. Seems it took some time to gel with new players and position coaches. I look for the defense to be much more stout and consistent this season.

I have no worries about the defense, The Oline will make or break our season.

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 03:37 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Mediocre the first half of the season but pretty damn good the last half. Seems it took some time to gel with new players and position coaches. I look for the defense to be much more stout and consistent this season.

I think that the defense was way better in the second half mostly because Burfict was back at 100%. If you look at the defense it's ridiculous how much it improves when Burfict is on the field, and in shape. He should be there all year, and we got a few new pieces that will help us out even more. We ended 8th in points allowed last season, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we ended in the top 5 in points allowed as long as we stay healthy. Hell, we should have been 1st in points allowed in 2015.
Reply/Quote
I know a lot of people are down on us because of our OL, but I really think we will have a good year this year. We have a ton of weapons, so it won't hurt as bad if people like Eifert gets hurt (again). 2014 and 2016 we had poor offensive performances because we had no weapons on the field. We were one of the best offenses in the league in 2013 and especially in 2015 when we were healthy. I expect to see us being a high powered offense again this year even with the OL issues. Dalton is good at reading defenses and calling protections. A lot of the time last year when Dalton was sacked it was due to receivers not being able to get separation. With the addition of Ross and a healthy Eifert and Green I don't think our receivers will have trouble getting separation. Boyd and Core have another year under their belt and will most likely improve. LaFell and Dalton seemed to be in sync at the end of last year too, and I expect that to carry over this year. Mixon will finally give us a run game, and he's also good at catching the ball.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 03:43 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think that the defense was way better in the second half mostly because Burfict was back at 100%. If you look at the defense it's ridiculous how much it improves when Burfict is on the field, and in shape. He should be there all year, and we got a few new pieces that will help us out even more. We ended 8th in points allowed last season, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we ended in the top 5 in points allowed as long as we stay healthy. Hell, we should have been 1st in points allowed in 2015.

Burfict being in great shape this year should give even the negative nancys optimism.

You are completely correct about his impact, when Burfict is on Defense we are one of the best Defenses in the NFL.

Adding Billings, Minter, WJ3, Willis, Lawson to the fold is crazy to me. This Defense could carry the Offense if the O-line is bad even.

(07-24-2017, 03:49 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I  know a lot of people are down on us because of our OL, but I really think we will have a good year this year. We have a ton of weapons, so it won't hurt as bad if people like Eifert gets hurt (again). 2014 and 2016 we had poor offensive performances because we had no weapons on the field. We were one of the best offenses in the league in 2013 and especially in 2015 when we were healthy. I expect to see us being a high powered offense again this year even with the OL issues. Dalton is good at reading defenses and calling protections. A lot of the time last year when Dalton was sacked it was due to receivers not being able to get separation. With the addition of Ross and a healthy Eifert and Green I don't think our receivers will have trouble getting separation. Boyd and Core have another year under their belt and will most likely improve. LaFell and Dalton seemed to be in sync at the end of last year too, and I expect that to carry over this year. Mixon will finally give us a run game, and he's also good at catching the ball.

The WR's getting seperation is huge and that is a great point. We saw how when Core came in late last year how the passing
game seemed to open up. This is not a coincidence. Ross should scare Defenses when he is out there. His presence alone should
help us big time.

If the O-line isn't good we can use slants, screens and even short post routes to help out Dalton.

Dalton is one of the best at getting the ball out fast.

That is the thing, it will probably take the O-line a bit to gain chemistry, we need to take this into consideration early on in the
season and use certain routes to bail out our QB. But from everything we have heard so far is that Og and Fisher have really
improved. We will see but as of right now things are looking pretty sweet for us going into the season.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 01:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are a classy dude PB. We can definately hang with the Pats and with the additions of Billings and Minter over Peko and
Maualuga we should be much better on Defense against both the run and the pass. Last year we got burnt by Gronk and the
RB's in the passing game when we played the Pats.

We were leading in that game until our LB'ers lost it for us.

With Burfict, Minter and Vigil we now have 3 Linebackers starting that can all cover and tackle.

The one trick ponys of Peko and Maualuga are gone, thank God.

The bengals lost to the pats by 18 last year - they got dominated. 

Brady threw for 375 yards  

Have not won at Foxboro since 1986

How can we 'hang with the pats?'
Reply/Quote

Ok...now you're starting to look like how Coltsfan4ever looks towards the Steelers...

Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 03:43 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think that the defense was way better in the second half mostly because Burfict was back at 100%. If you look at the defense it's ridiculous how much it improves when Burfict is on the field, and in shape. He should be there all year, and we got a few new pieces that will help us out even more. We ended 8th in points allowed last season, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we ended in the top 5 in points allowed as long as we stay healthy. Hell, we should have been 1st in points allowed in 2015.

Lol.  The Defense was 'way better' in the second half - Because they played 7 of the 8 games vs bottom half offensive teams. 

Bills
Eagles
Browns
Texans
Ravens
Ravens
Giants 

0 of those squads were in the top 50% of offensive team production in the league last year. 
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 01:32 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I think We will be good this year but I honestly think the team that will be a real bear to beat (other than the patriots) will be the raiders. Not only are they good but it certainly Seems like a good Super Bowl storyline. The NFL loves that.

Agreed with what the NFL loves, but I just don't see it.  The Raiders pulled out some close games last year with gutsy calls (2 point conversion) that went their way.  Their team has some great personnel, but lacks in the linebacker corps and secondary on defense.  I also think San Diego, er, LA (That feels weird) might be a sleeper team in the AFC West.

I was flat-out amazed KC took a QB, and gave up a ton to get him, when they were seemingly close last year.  Now, I don't know how that team will respond.

pitt will be tough offensively, but I think the Bengal's defense will be better than them, especially in the back end.  Look for some high scoring games out of there this year.

New England is still New England, and they have made some moves to improve their club over a year ago, but Atlanta showed (for 3 and 1/2 quarters) that a team with a lot of weapons can spread them out and attack them.  I am a LOT more optimistic of holding down their offense with the LB corps we have now, as their game of dink and dunk is very difficult to defend, but if you can cover just long enough, the front four should be able to get some shots on Brady.

It is going to be big fun watching it unfold.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 06:15 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Lol.  The Defense was 'way better' in the second half - Because they played 7 of the 8 games vs bottom half offensive teams. 

Bills 
Eagles
Browns
Texans
Ravens
Ravens
Giants 

0 of those squads were in the top 50% of offensive team production in the league last year. 

The Bills were 10th in ppg and the Eagles were 16th, so 3/8 teams were in the top 50% last year. The defense did play very well at the end of the year last year. Yeah, they didn't play a lot of great offensive teams, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that they only allowed an average of 18.5 ppg over that span (which would have been 4th in the league if they did that throughout the whole year).
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 06:15 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Lol.  The Defense was 'way better' in the second half - Because they played 7 of the 8 games vs bottom half offensive teams. 

Bills
Eagles
Browns
Texans
Ravens
Ravens
Giants 

I am curious why you did not also go look up how they fared the first 8 games. Maybe because they played teams like the Steelers twice and the Pats and that would counter your negativity??
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
As long as the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter aligns with Mars love will steer the stars and we'll win it all.. 
Ok, so yeah, astrology is probably very highly a bunch of hokum, but while we're indulging ourselves in fantasy thinking why not?  We can't do any worse than Tricky Ricky Perry praying for rain right after the national weather service announced the week before it definitely was going to rain in Texas, but I digress..
All we have to do is to grunt and squint harder than anyone else otherwise known as praying harder than the other teams fans.. 

On the other hand, perhaps I just haven't had enough morning coffee yet..    
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote