Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals to meet with Trevor Siemian
(04-05-2023, 03:40 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I felt Jake Browning should have had the job last season and I do not feel any differently this season. I thought he performed relatively well in his chances during the preseason and seemed to be about as good as you expect from your backup QB.

He and Allen played virtually identically.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 11:10 AM)Housh Wrote: Like him as a backup

Iv always said Brandon Allen is DOOKIE and if we ever need him to step in for 4-5 games our season is over even if we are 12-0 at that time of Burrow’s injury. Allen is TRASH. Thank god we haven’t needed him recently.

I definitely agree!  Just about anybody is an upgrade over Brandon.  If the Bengals cut him I would be SHOCKED if any other NFL team signed him.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 03:40 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I felt Jake Browning should have had the job last season and I do not feel any differently this season. I thought he performed relatively well in his chances during the preseason and seemed to be about as good as you expect from your backup QB.

Very true!  When I see Brandon Allen play he exudes anything but confidence.  He looks like he hates football and plays the same. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 04:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He and Allen played virtually identically.

No really they didn't. Jake Browning looked far better from a composure and playmaking ability perspective. Browning appeared far more athletic in the pocket than Allen ever has and he played with confidence.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 06:43 PM)OSUfan Wrote: No really they didn't. Jake Browning looked far better from a composure and playmaking ability perspective. Browning appeared far more athletic in the pocket than Allen ever has and he played with confidence.

Genuine question - if Jake Browning looked "far better" than Allen, then why isn't Cincinnati just promoting him? Why didn't another team poach him off of the practice squad? Why has he never been anything more than a PS QB? 

If you genuinely believe that Browning is far better than Allen, then there is obviously something wrong with your assessment because no one in the industry agrees with you. Allen, while not great, has never been on a practice squad and has served as a backup for four different teams. He is flat out better than Browning. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 04:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He and Allen played virtually identically.

The stats say so, yes Truck.

But when watching the two play, Browning impressed me a touch and Allen was really disappointing especially in pocket awareness.

We can definitely do better than both.

(04-06-2023, 06:55 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Genuine question - if Jake Browning looked "far better" than Allen, then why isn't Cincinnati just promoting him? Why didn't another team poach him off of the practice squad? Why has he never been anything more than a PS QB? 

If you genuinely believe that Browning is far better than Allen, then there is obviously something wrong with your assessment because no one in the industry agrees with you. Allen, while not great, has never been on a practice squad and has served as a backup for four different teams. He is flat out better than Browning. 

Eh, this sounds like a Fredtoast argument. Like Livings getting paid big money by the Cowboys after he left made him a good OL...

The Cowboys obviously saw a good player in Livings and every single one of the fans besides Fred saw a poor player...

Who was right? Did you watch Allen and Browning play in TC and the Preseason last year KillerGoose? Allen continually in both TC and
the Preseason not only ran into sacks, he didn't feel pressure when it came, to move away from it. This is not a good sign in a QB.

At least Browning felt the pressure and evaded it and threw on the run in a decent fashion.

Looks like the Bengals are seeing the same thing we are seeing with Allen. He is smart, I will give him that and lucky on coin flips. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 07:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The stats say so, yes Truck.

But when watching the two play, Browning impressed me a touch and Allen was really disappointing especially in pocket awareness.

We can definitely do better than both.

Eh, this sounds like a Fredtoast argument. Like Livings getting paid big money by the Cowboys after he left made him a good OL...

The Cowboys obviously saw a good player in Livings and every single one of the fans besides Fred saw a poor player...

Who was right? Did you watch Allen and Browning play in TC and the Preseason last year KillerGoose? Allen continually in both TC and
the Preseason not only ran into sacks, he didn't feel pressure when it came, to move away from it. This is not a good sign in a QB.

At least Browning felt the pressure and evaded it and threw on the run in a decent fashion.

Looks like the Bengals are seeing the same thing we are seeing with Allen. He is smart, I will give him that and lucky on coin flips. Mellow

It's funny, I said that to myself after I typed it. However, I do think that style of argument has merit. If someone is so much better, then why don't they win the job? Hell, maybe Browning is better at playing, but that isn't the only thing that matters for being a back-up QB and he isn't better at whatever that is. 

At the end of the day, if someone is genuinely so much better than another player, then why can't they beat him out? Or, in this case, that player above him has not been retained yet Cincinnati is still looking for a back-up QB. It's a valid question and the reality of those situations should make us question our analysis if it doesn't align. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 07:57 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It's funny, I said that to myself after I typed it. However, I do think that style of argument has merit. If someone is so much better, then why don't they win the job? Hell, maybe Browning is better at playing, but that isn't the only thing that matters for being a back-up QB and he isn't better at whatever that is. 

At the end of the day, if someone is genuinely so much better than another player, then why can't they beat him out? Or, in this case, that player above him has not been retained yet Cincinnati is still looking for a back-up QB. It's a valid question and the reality of those situations should make us question our analysis if it doesn't align. 

Good point, I think Allen is smart and is friends with Burrow and helps off the field on the bench in certain situations.

Maybe that was the reason they kept him and put Browning on the PS. Plus as the stats show that Truck provided in the other Allen 
thread now in the Draft forum, they had pretty much identical stats and Browning played against 3rd and 4th stringers instead of 1st 
and 2nd stringers like Allen did.

We are clearly looking for an upgrade now though, which I think is smart. Siemian would be an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 08:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good point, I think Allen is smart and is friends with Burrow and helps off the field on the bench in certain situations.

Maybe that was the reason they kept him and put Browning on the PS. Plus as the stats show that Truck provided in the other Allen 
thread now in the Draft forum, they had pretty much identical stats and Browning played against 3rd and 4th stringers instead of 1st 
and 2nd stringers like Allen did.

We are clearly looking for an upgrade now though, which I think is smart. Siemian would be an upgrade.

Yeah. I don't think Allen is a great back-up QB or anything. I just don't think Browning is any better than he is and is likely worse, in some capacity. I agree Siemian would be a great upgrade. I would be happy with him. 
Reply/Quote
I have no idea why folks are down on B. Allen. Dude's a backup for a reason. He does just fine in that capacity.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 06:55 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Genuine question - if Jake Browning looked "far better" than Allen, then why isn't Cincinnati just promoting him? Why didn't another team poach him off of the practice squad? Why has he never been anything more than a PS QB? 

Well, Genuine answer is neither Allen nor Browning really are anything more than career backup QBs which is why no one is really looking to poach them as you say. Allen more than likely has a leg up because of familiarity. Zac Taylor coached him when they were both with the Rams so your assessment of being flat out better may not actually hold water. 

So genuine question - If Allen is "flat out better" than Browning then why is he still sitting out there as a free agent with what appears to be virtually zero interest from other teams?
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 08:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no idea why folks are down on B. Allen. Dude's a backup for a reason. He does just fine in that capacity.

Not down on him just very realistic about who and what he is. When you have a Joe Burrow any backup will pale in comparison. As I stated early when watching them both in the small sample size of the preseason Browning just appeared to be far more composed and in control of the offense and showed the mobility to extend the play outside of the pocket. 

I also understand that Taylor is relatively comfortable with Allen because of their previous relationship with Rams. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 08:30 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well, Genuine answer is neither Allen nor Browning really are anything more than career backup QBs which is why no one is really looking to poach them as you say. Allen more than likely has a leg up because of familiarity. Zac Taylor coached him when they were both with the Rams so your assessment of being flat out better may not actually hold water. 

Okay. So, this is where I don't think your listening to what you said fully. You believe that Jake Browning is a "far better" player, yet he can't win the job because Brandon Allen knows Zac Taylor? That is the only thing preventing Browning from succeeding? Let's say that is true. Why is Browning now not getting his opportunity? Allen is gone, it is the perfect time for Browning to ascend into that spot. Bengals have a very cheap replacement who is significantly better than their previous guy. Yet, the Bengals are in the midst of a search for their new back-up QB. Browning seems like nothing but an afterthought at the moment.

Quote:So genuine question - If Allen is "flat out better" than Browning then why is he still sitting out there as a free agent with what appears to be virtually zero interest from other teams?

Because he isn't good enough to warrant his salary? You seem to be conflating my idea of "Allen is better than Browning" with "Allen is good". Allen isn't very good, but he is better than Browning. At some point, what you argue has to align with reality or the argument is simply wrong. If your analysis is that Browning is "far better" than Allen, then your analysis is flawed because that isn't the reality. 

If Browning ends up winning the spot, then that shows that my analysis is wrong, and I'd be happy to admit that. 
Reply/Quote
Is this a hot take?

Trevor Siemian would be the, most accomplished, and best Bengals backup since the early Marvin Lewis/Palmer days of Fitzpatrick and Kitna.
Reply/Quote
Only reason people thought Browning was better than Allen is because he can scramble. Allen was facing the starters in preseason for the most part, Browning against the 3s. Browning is still young and so has little trust vs a vet with real game experience like Allen or Siemian.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
Well, I don’t know if Trevor is still here, but they must not have been too overwhelmed by him given he hasn’t put pen to paper, yet. I’m assuming just kicking tires.
Reply/Quote
Ah, the period after free agency and before the draft. People are getting antsy for the next thing on the bengals calendar and we’re debating which backup quarterback is better.

News flash. They both aren’t good hence the team looking to improve at that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 08:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no idea why folks are down on B. Allen. Dude's a backup for a reason. He does just fine in that capacity.

I’m 100% down on him

Idk how he’s a backup ngl.

When Cam Newton does his yearly beg to be on a roster and he says shit like there aren’t 32 QBs better than me, i assume he’s talking about guys like Brandon Allen.

Dude has no velocity. His main plus is he doesn’t really throw the ball in traffic, but that also means he doesn’t make splash plays.

No pocket presence

Not even a hype team guy.

I know our backup is gonna be worse than Burrow but damn he doesn’t have to be pure trash.

Especially when you see guys like Purdy and Rush THRIVE in the games they had to step in. Every second Brandon Allen is our backup QB i am afraid for the team.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 08:58 AM)Garrus Wrote: Only reason people thought Browning was better than Allen is because he can scramble. Allen was facing the starters in preseason for the most part, Browning against the 3s. Browning is still young and so has little trust vs a vet with real game experience like Allen or Siemian.

I actually loved that kid we had years ago, think his name was Dolegaga or something. I haven’t been clamoring for him at backup for this very reason.

This is also why if i give Brandon no slack. Most of his snaps are with starters and he played those games after Burrow went down and we were dead in the water. Now we obviously didn’t want to win that year but still.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 10:19 AM)Housh Wrote: I’m 100% down on him

Idk how he’s a backup ngl.

When Cam Newton does his yearly beg to be on a roster and he says shit like there aren’t 32 QBs better than me, i assume he’s talking about guys like Brandon Allen.

Dude has no velocity. His main plus is he doesn’t really throw the ball in traffic, but that also means he doesn’t make splash plays.

No pocket presence

Not even a hype team guy.

I know our backup is gonna be worse than Burrow but damn he doesn’t have to be pure trash.

Especially when you see guys like Purdy and Rush THRIVE in the games they had to step in. Every second Brandon Allen is our backup QB i am afraid for the team.

Purdy genuinely played great. Dude was a stud, but Cooper Rush isn't the guy to use to hammer home your point. He played very much like a backup. In 2022, Cooper Rush finished the season with an 80 passer rating on 169 dropbacks. Since Brandon Allen has arrived in Cincinnati, he has recorded an 83 passer rating on 191 dropbacks. They have essentially been the same guy. 
Reply/Quote