Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals to meet with Trevor Siemian
Don't know what the argument is about, Zac has conceded Allen is not the guy and moving on.

The two are both average at this point, although Jake is 4 years younger.

Time to look toward the future and just sit back and watch how the two do from here before making the final judgement.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 07:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The stats say so, yes Truck.

But when watching the two play, Browning impressed me a touch and Allen was really disappointing especially in pocket awareness.

We can definitely do better than both.

And I remember when everyone was clamoring for James Johnson to have a spot on the team, because of, "how good he looked in the PS vs. 3rd and 4th stringers!"

The guy wasn't on an active roster for even 1 snap, after that PS (2009) for ANY team he was with.

Looks can be deceiving, it's the PS.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 10:58 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And I remember when everyone was clamoring for James Johnson to have a spot on the team, because of, "how good he looked in the PS vs. 3rd and 4th stringers!"

The guy wasn't on an active roster for even 1 snap, after that PS (2009) for ANY team he was with.

Hell I remember people actually saying Dan LeFevour could be a franchise QB back in the day lmao. People have always looked way too much into preseason games.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
Where'd the drunk kid from Lawrenceburg go?
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 10:32 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Don't know what the argument is about, Zac has conceded Allen is not the guy and moving on.

The two are both average at this point, although Jake is 4 years younger.

Time to look toward the future and just sit back and watch how the two do from here before making the final judgement.

"Average" might even be generous, at least for Brandon Allen.
You don't want your whole season derailed when your QB has to miss some games.
Look at BAL as a great example of that.

True contenders need a backup who could really have them go at least .500 in the starter's absence.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 10:19 AM)Housh Wrote: I’m 100% down on him

Idk how he’s a backup ngl.

When Cam Newton does his yearly beg to be on a roster and he says shit like there aren’t 32 QBs better than me, i assume he’s talking about guys like Brandon Allen.

Dude has no velocity. His main plus is he doesn’t really throw the ball in traffic, but that also means he doesn’t make splash plays.

No pocket presence

Not even a hype team guy.

I know our backup is gonna be worse than Burrow but damn he doesn’t have to be pure trash.

Especially when you see guys like Purdy and Rush THRIVE in the games they had to step in. Every second Brandon Allen is our backup QB i am afraid for the team.

Agree.  On a side note, your mention of Cam made me chuckle.  Here's another guy who doesn't get it.  Like Zeke, he's stating the teams he thinks should put him on their roster.  Know what?  Maybe keep that to yourself and hope some team...ANY TEAM....comes knocking at your door. You want to play?  OK, don't dismiss every other team in the NFL who you didn't list.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 10:58 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And I remember when everyone was clamoring for James Johnson to have a spot on the team, because of, "how good he looked in the PS vs. 3rd and 4th stringers!"

That is the fun part of Preseason, for sure. I also wanted DeDe Dorsey to make the team back in the day...
Reply/Quote
If we don't sign a vet to backup with Burrow then I'd rather them draft a player than go with Browning. I'm not saying Stetson Bennett is who should be drafted but a player with his experience could be a good addition: someone who has started a ton of games, played meaningful ball, and won big games in college.

Anyhow, I'm happy we're in a position of fandom privilege to only debate our backup QB and not focus on who should start! Burrow has that locked down.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 01:40 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: If we don't sign a vet to backup with Burrow then I'd rather them draft a player than go with Browning. I'm not saying Stetson Bennett is who should be drafted but a player with his experience could be a good addition: someone who has started a ton of games, played meaningful ball, and won big games in college.

Anyhow, I'm happy we're in a position of fandom privilege to only debate our backup QB and not focus on who should start! Burrow has that locked down.

Haven't really paid attention to the QB's in this Draft. I like Stetson Bennett, he is a bit small for a QB, but he seems smart.

Is that TCU QB in this Draft? I liked him last year a lot...

Oh and don't forget about the USFL. They will have a few good QB's to pick from I am sure and we get to watch them in a week or so.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 02:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Haven't really paid attention to the QB's in this Draft. I like Stetson Bennett, he is a bit small for a QB, but he seems smart.

Is that TCU QB in this Draft? I liked him last year a lot...

Oh and don't forget about the USFL. They will have a few good QB's to pick from I am sure and we get to watch them in a week or so.

Duggan? He's in this draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 01:40 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: If we don't sign a vet to backup with Burrow then I'd rather them draft a player than go with Browning. I'm not saying Stetson Bennett is who should be drafted but a player with his experience could be a good addition: someone who has started a ton of games, played meaningful ball, and won big games in college.

I have maintained from the beginning of his career, that we don't need a vet to backup Burrow: we still don't 3 years later.

The guy has the poise, command and knowledge of a 10 year vet and had it in 2021. We need a young guy who can supplant, sure, but is also great at strategy/holding a clipboard.

It's why scouring the later rounds/UDFA heap for a small school starter or mediocre numbers guy with good skills for our offense is best or someone who has been in the league for a year or two, but isn't getting any long look, despite some skill (like Jordan Love, had he been in a different sitch).

It's also why I'm being such a pedant for the team getting Matt McDonald from BGSU: he's played in the ACC and MAC, so he's used to the weather, he got better every year at BGSU, had good but not great talent surrounding him (so not dependent on the skills of others, which is a MAC trait if I've ever seen one lol), is a team captain and most-importantly, skillset and size is very similar to Burrow.

He can be had in the 5th round or later, no sweat and I can bet he's not even on a lot of teams' boards.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 10:19 AM)Housh Wrote: I’m 100% down on him

Idk how he’s a backup ngl.

When Cam Newton does his yearly beg to be on a roster and he says shit like there aren’t 32 QBs better than me, i assume he’s talking about guys like Brandon Allen.

Dude has no velocity. His main plus is he doesn’t really throw the ball in traffic, but that also means he doesn’t make splash plays.

No pocket presence

Not even a hype team guy.

I know our backup is gonna be worse than Burrow but damn he doesn’t have to be pure trash.

Especially when you see guys like Purdy and Rush THRIVE in the games they had to step in. Every second Brandon Allen is our backup QB i am afraid for the team.
I don't; I assume he's talking about starting QB, as there are 32 in the NFL. He could drop to 64 if he wanted to include the backups. 

I know what Allen is as well. He's not going to win many/ he's not going to lose many.  The year he had to replace JB he had 1 terrible game, 2 average games, and 2 great games. 

WTS, he can be upgraded, but he can also be downgraded.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 02:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Duggan? He's in this draft.

Yeah, Max Duggan, I like that guy. Plays with mad heart. Where is Max projected in this draft?

I am assuming early as he was a Heisman candidate so he is probably out of the question.
Reply/Quote

Damn. I want him signed for his name alone. Impressed!
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 06:43 PM)OSUfan Wrote: No really they didn't. Jake Browning looked far better from a composure and playmaking ability perspective. Browning appeared far more athletic in the pocket than Allen ever has and he played with confidence.

I would have to disagree that he played so much better, Browning was throwing some questionable passes at times.. with the team we had around Burrow, it was smart to keep a veteran that should turn the ball over less.. Browning also mostly played against 3rds too... now maybe with having been with our system for the past two years on practice squad, he might have a better chance being the backup 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Max Duggan, I like that guy. Plays with mad heart. Where is Max projected in this draft?

I am assuming early as he was a Heisman candidate so he is probably out of the question.

I liked Duggan until the National Championship game.  He completely fell apart against a good defense.  He will be facing talent like that every week in the NFL.  He looked out of his league against Georgia
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 02:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Haven't really paid attention to the QB's in this Draft. I like Stetson Bennett, he is a bit small for a QB, but he seems smart...

I dont think Bennett is an NFL caliber QB.  He was on a team loaded with talent and I think a lot of his success is because of this.  How does Bennett do if he is playing for TCU in the national championship game or the entire season?
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 08:32 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I dont think Bennett is an NFL caliber QB.  He was on a team loaded with talent and I think a lot of his success is because of this.  How does Bennett do if he is playing for TCU in the national championship game or the entire season?

As a backup he could be fine, in my opinion. You could make this argument for every OSU and Alabama QB ever… which is why they likely don’t pan out. With that said, he won’t cost you anything other than a throw away late pick, not a round 1 or 2.

In no way am I comparing Bennett to burrow, but the argument COULD have been made similarly.

I can see bennet having a decently long career 4-6 years as an NFL backup.
Reply/Quote
So as of today QB2 is Jake Browning. Perhaps the Bengals draft a QB in the later rounds or have their eyes on a few UDFAs.

Maybe Allen comes back at the league minimum after nobody else signs him?
Reply/Quote
-Consider this rough overview of QB value in the draft. If the need for a prospect causes a team to take Hooker in the late 1st, it will create a domino of over drafting. If you go by their general grades, their next options are two 3rd/4th guys and then two 5/6th round types. If you use NFL.com's ratings, the gap is more obvious.

https://www.drafttek.com/2023-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-QBs.asp

https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/participants/qb/all-colleges/

You may see a guy that sticks out to you, but I'm telling you another team that is looking for hope at a future in will take your guy before the Bengals...which are in win now mode. They will have other needs before QB. I'm astonished by how many fans want us to go all in yet think that a rookie qb in a weak class is the right move over a vet QB especially since it means the bye or seeding if they miss a few games.
Reply/Quote