Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals to meet with Trevor Siemian
(04-07-2023, 03:21 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I have maintained from the beginning of his career, that we don't need a vet to backup Burrow: we still don't 3 years later.

The guy has the poise, command and knowledge of a 10 year vet and had it in 2021. We need a young guy who can supplant, sure, but is also great at strategy/holding a clipboard.

It's why scouring the later rounds/UDFA heap for a small school starter or mediocre numbers guy with good skills for our offense is best or someone who has been in the league for a year or two, but isn't getting any long look, despite some skill (like Jordan Love, had he been in a different sitch).

It's also why I'm being such a pedant for the team getting Matt McDonald from BGSU: he's played in the ACC and MAC, so he's used to the weather, he got better every year at BGSU, had good but not great talent surrounding him (so not dependent on the skills of others, which is a MAC trait if I've ever seen one lol), is a team captain and most-importantly, skillset and size is very similar to Burrow.

He can be had in the 5th round or later, no sweat and I can bet he's not even on a lot of teams' boards.

Agree

We don't need a Joe Flacco or whoever in here. Draft a later round rookie and let him and Browing duel it out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 08:29 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I liked Duggan until the National Championship game.  He completely fell apart against a good defense.  He will be facing talent like that every week in the NFL.  He looked out of his league against Georgia

Ahhh, wasn't able to watch the Championship as it was on espn and I refuse to pay for that crap.

Good to know, saw Duggan play against a lot of good Defenses though and he played well, but Georgia IS anther animal.

(04-09-2023, 08:32 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I dont think Bennett is an NFL caliber QB.  He was on a team loaded with talent and I think a lot of his success is because of this.  How does Bennett do if he is playing for TCU in the national championship game or the entire season?

It is true that Georgia was stacked. We will see with Bennett, he doesn't throw a lot of interceptions, that is a start.

(04-10-2023, 12:13 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: As a backup he could be fine, in my opinion.  You could make this argument for every OSU and Alabama QB ever… which is why they likely don’t pan out.  With that said, he won’t cost you anything other than a throw away late pick, not a round 1 or 2.

In no way am I comparing Bennett to burrow, but the argument COULD have been made similarly.

I can see bennet having a decently long career 4-6 years as an NFL backup.

Yeah, we are talking about backups here that we can get in the late rounds. Maybe Matt McDonald like Truck said or Tune out of
Houston might be better fits here than Bennett though.

(04-10-2023, 09:02 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: So as of today QB2 is Jake Browning. Perhaps the Bengals draft a QB in the later rounds or have their eyes on a few UDFAs.

Maybe Allen comes back at the league minimum after nobody else signs him?

Maybe, I like Browning better than Allen though. If we do bring both back I expect Browning to win the job this year.

(04-10-2023, 10:34 AM)phil413 Wrote: -Consider this rough overview of QB value in the draft.  If the need for a prospect causes a team to take Hooker in the late 1st, it will create a domino of over drafting.  If you go by their general grades, their next options are two 3rd/4th guys and then two 5/6th round types.  If you use NFL.com's ratings, the gap is more obvious.

https://www.drafttek.com/2023-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-QBs.asp

https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/participants/qb/all-colleges/

You may see a guy that sticks out to you, but I'm telling you another team that is looking for hope at a future in will take your guy before the Bengals...which are in win now mode.  They will have other needs before QB.  I'm astonished by how many fans want us to go all in yet think that a rookie qb in a weak class is the right move over a vet QB especially since it means the bye or seeding if they miss a few games.

Good stuff, but I am fine with a late round rookie if he is smart. Of course, would rather have a vet like Siemian but it looks
like he didn't sign, yet.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 11:20 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

We don't need a Joe Flacco or whoever in here. Draft a later round rookie and let him and Browing duel it out.

This would be cheaper than bringing Allen back or signing Siemian and who knows, a rookie with potential might be the better way to go?

Just has to be smart.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 01:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This would be cheaper than bringing Allen back or signing Siemian and who knows, a rookie with potential might be the better way to go?

Just has to be smart.

It would be cheaper, but it wouldn't (or shouldn't) be a big difference money-wise.
Siemian was playing on a 2-year, $4 mill deal with New Orleans.
Browning makes $750k this year.
So just an extra $1.25 mill. Bengals got the cap space to accommodate that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 02:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It would be cheaper, but it wouldn't (or shouldn't) be a big difference money-wise.
Siemian was playing on a 2-year, $4 mill deal with New Orleans.
Browning makes $750k this year.
So just an extra $1.25 mill. Bengals got the cap space to accommodate that.

True. In the end I think I would rather bring in Siemian and save our draft picks for other positions to help the team.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 11:20 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

I disagree,  I thought that way before but now the way this team is built they can be competitive without Burrow with a solid backup, so im on board bring in an experienced backup over a developmental player.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 02:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True. In the end I think I would rather bring in Siemian and save our draft picks for other positions to help the team.

Siemian would be a good fit as a backup here. A end of the draft rookie QB would be a crap shoot. At least Siemian has done something at the NFL level that looks marginally good at times.
Reply/Quote
We only have 7 picks and need TE, 2RB's, CB, OT, OG, WR, SS, DT, Punter... We can't keep saying we'll just draft someone. There isn't enough picks to cover the holes we already have.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 11:43 AM)jj22 Wrote: We only have 7 picks and need TE, 2RB's, CB, OT, OG, WR, SS, DT, Punter... We can't keep saying we'll just draft someone. There isn't enough picks to cover the holes we already have.
Agree that we need to pick up a TE and RB in the draft.  There are no other holes.  As for punter, pick up a UDFA or trade down to get an extra pick like they did to get Moneymac.

What hole at WR?

What hole at DT?

What hole at OG?

What hole at CB?

What hole at SS?

What hole at OT?

They will draft BPA as do most well run franchises.
Reply/Quote
We don't even really need a P to be drafted. Get an UDFA to compete with Chrisman and may the best one win.

Drafted Ps are as much as a crapshoot as drafted Ks.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 12:21 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Agree that we need to pick up a TE and RB in the draft.  There are no other holes.  As for punter, pick up a UDFA or trade down to get an extra pick like they did to get Moneymac.

What hole at WR? We saw last year how quick we could be down to 1 wideout. That can't happen again. Besides until Higgins is signed, we need to make sure he is replaced. After this year he (theoretically if not tagged, which I think he will but... and Boyd are gone. Leaving us with 1 wideout in 2024. Not good.

What hole at DT? We saw last year the need for pressure up the middle. We don't have anyone that can bring it consistently. This is Readers last year under contract and Bengals usually prepare a year early to lose talent. Hopefully they extend him but we don't hear him in the pecking order of extensions like we do Higgins, Wilson etc 

What hole at OG? We saw last year Volson needs some competition. We also don't have a legit backup at the OG spots.

What hole at CB? We have questions about Chido recovery and he is only under contract this year. We aren't set at the position in the future. Hilton is gone after this year as well. 

What hole at SS? 28 year old sold as future (ascending player), 1 year of starting experience, reality is just a special teams ace. This spot is far from settled if anyone is honest.

What hole at OT? RT is far from settled. Even if Jonah, Collins starts, there is no option after this year. I have no faith in Collins being the future at the position.

Bengals have significant holes still, and have a lot of work that needs to be done between now and training camp. Regardless of where we are today, we have some huge losses coming after this season that they must prepare for.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 12:37 PM)jj22 Wrote: The Bengals have significant holes still and have a lot of work that needs to be done between now and training camp. Regardless of where we are today, we have some huge losses coming after this season that they must prepare for.

You're talking about FUTURE holes.  I think they showed us last year that they can fill FUTURE holes(Bates) and still go BPA.

btw, I'm in the extreme minority, but after some growing pains, I believe by the end of the year, our safety room will be an improvement over last year.

Daxton Hill is HIM
Reply/Quote
We saw this past year how quick depth become starters. I'm talking roster building and needs including starters, depth, and preparing for future losses.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 09:43 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Siemian would be a good fit as a backup here.  A end of the draft rookie QB would be a crap shoot. At least Siemian has done something at the NFL level that looks marginally good at times.

Yes, hope Siemian is still an option...

(04-13-2023, 12:54 PM)BengalBob Wrote: You're talking about FUTURE holes.  I think they showed us last year that they can fill FUTURE holes(Bates) and still go BPA.

btw, I'm in the extreme minority, but after some growing pains, I believe by the end of the year, our safety room will be an improvement over last year.

Daxton Hill is HIM

I do too, and even if you don't like Brick Scott to be as good as Vonn Bell, Tycen Anderson looked great in Preseason last year.

Corner is more of a need than Safety by far with Chido coming off of injury and Apple and Flowers not back yet. Plus, as JJ22 says,
Hilton might be gone after this year even though I don't like to think about it, same with Reader. I think it is in between both of your
posts honestly, we aren't as stacked as you say and aren't as desperate as JJ22 says.

(04-13-2023, 12:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: We saw this past year how quick depth become starters. I'm talking roster building and needs including starters, depth, and preparing for future losses.

That is true, honestly the more I think about it I would wait on Punter and get one as a UDFA and use the picks on roster building.

Sign Siemian and that way we are in a better place and don't need to waste a pick on a QB. We need interior push on the DL to 
really take our Defense to the next level IMO. DT, CB, RB and TE are our biggest holes because of who left and who are leaving IMO.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 12:21 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Agree that we need to pick up a TE and RB in the draft.  There are no other holes.  As for punter, pick up a UDFA or trade down to get an extra pick like they did to get Moneymac.

What hole at WR?

What hole at DT?

What hole at OG?

What hole at CB?

What hole at SS?

What hole at OT?

The sky is falling, in case you couldn’t tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 01:18 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: The sky is falling, in case you couldn’t tell

And yeah, those are future holes JJ22 is talking about. Yah never know we might bring back not only Tee, but DJ and Hilton for a couple
more years too. They sure as hell look great right now just the same, same as Logan who I think will definitely be extended.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 01:18 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: The sky is falling, in case you couldn’t tell

Such a lame response from people who don't know how to articulate an argument agreeing or disagreeing with posters. 

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 01:40 PM)jj22 Wrote: Such a lame response from people who don't know how to articulate an argument agreeing or disagreeing with posters. 

What’s lame is your negative attitude about the team you follow. You don’t seem to like anything they do and criticize them for things they don’t.

Mixon, our starting rb, is on the team. I’m sure they’ll draft at least 1. Mixon almost certainly won’t be cut until after the draft. Then they can sign another if they feel the need.

I’m sure they’ll draft a tight end. Smith was brought in. If they feel they need, they can sign another.

I imagine they’ll bring in a at least 1 punter for competition.

Last I checked they were in the Super Bowl and afc championship game. I give them some credit for knowing what they’re doing

Reply/Quote
You seem to care too much about what I think.

And be wrong as I never said they don't know what they doing. Making up fake news about what a poster said and then getting all worked up over it...... Lame.

This about holes in rosters and folks pointing to the draft to fill them. The FO agrees with me. That's why they are looking to a free agent QB likely to avoid spending a draft pick on one...... Why? Because they have too many other holes to fill with those picks.

You don't feel there's a need at RT, CB, SS, WR, OG depth or otherwise and you are entitled to your opinion.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 08:18 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote:  

And where did I say there are no needs at those, or any other positions?  I said no such thing.  They, like every other team in the nfl, have to draft for current needs with an eye on expiring contracts.  

So you agree with me and my list of needs still needing to be filled. You just got a long winded way of saying it..... 

You could have saved us all the meltdown and just said I was right, and you agree.

Reply/Quote