Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Biden Falls Asleep At Climate Summit......
(11-05-2021, 10:40 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: We aren't? Most military spending, largest GDP, biggest contributor to the UN, most deployed nukes in the world, 3rd largest active military, 10 active aircraft carriers (nobody else has more than 2 and there's only 12 in the whole non-US world combined). Still a pretty strong exporter of culture, one of the biggest exporters of food. Most billionaires (for better or worse). We've even reached public sector space travel.

I am not commenting on anything else in this thread because it's a bit silly, I am just genuinely curious.

Ida know, when you point out all that it makes average Americans going into a spiral after missing 2 paychecks seem even more absurd.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 10:40 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: We aren't? Most military spending, largest GDP, biggest contributor to the UN, most deployed nukes in the world, 3rd largest active military, 10 active aircraft carriers (nobody else has more than 2 and there's only 12 in the whole non-US world combined). Still a pretty strong exporter of culture, one of the biggest exporters of food. Most billionaires (for better or worse). We've even reached public sector space travel.

I am not commenting on anything else in this thread because it's a bit silly, I am just genuinely curious.

Do you understand how quickly all of that comes crumbling down if we decide to burn bridges with friendly nations? Since we're still a very petroleum-based country, all it takes is Saudi Arabia going 'eh **** those guys' and shit hits the fan in about 2 months. And that's just one country.

You know all the shortages we have right now in the technology field? Because one country doesn't want to deal with us. It's breaking down computer parts, car parts, forklift parts - lot's of behind the scenes things that nobody really pays attention to until they're going wrong. 

All that military spending? Most of it goes to private contractors to develop tomorrow's fun new explosives which they then sell back to the country who funded R&D at a marked up price while also selling to to said funding companies enemies. Capitalism!

Since we've spent the last 40ish years sending all our manufacturing overseas (love those tax breaks), we no longer have the means the create a lot of that stuff. Our oil supply would last 2-3 months depending on usage (which given the way toilet paper disappeared last year, I can only imagine how hard people will hoard gasoline when word comes down we're not making it anymore).

We're a third world country in a Gucci belt, being held up by the very things the Right seems to hate (i.e: other countries full of not white folks).

Don't believe me? Don't care. A simple search on Google will verify what I've said here and no, I won't provide links because I've been burned by WAY too many bad faith debaters to waste my 30 seconds.

Edit: and just because I forgot to mention; all this huffing and puffing about the debt ceiling and all that shit - we're one of two countries in the world who has that. We're also the only FiRsT wOrLd CoUnTrY without universal healthcare, guaranteed time off, or maternity/paternity leave. We also rank somewhere around near last in the Happiness Scale, and we also have more people in prison than the next like 5 or 6 countries combined. 10/10 would leave if any country wanted an American.
Reply/Quote
This so-called 3rd world country sure seems to draw plenty of interest from people around the world.

Some people wouldn't be happy no matter what.

(This is my 1st post on this thread & probably my last)
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 10:56 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know, when you point out all that it makes average Americans going into a spiral after missing 2 paychecks seem even more absurd.  

Isn't that the whole civilization is just x number of meals away from anarchy or whatever the hell that quote is? I have always thought that financial responsibility/literacy should really be taught in school. There's way too many people graduating high school with no idea how to make and live within a budget. I had some friends back in the day like that. Maxing out credit cards for weeks long summer vacations while they were also gathering serious college debt, then buying a brand new truck for more debt as soon as they started getting any money rather than paying off all that debt.

(11-05-2021, 11:38 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Do you understand how quickly all of that comes crumbling down if we decide to burn bridges with friendly nations? Since we're still a very petroleum-based country, all it takes is Saudi Arabia going 'eh **** those guys' and shit hits the fan in about 2 months. And that's just one country.

You know all the shortages we have right now in the technology field? Because one country doesn't want to deal with us. It's breaking down computer parts, car parts, forklift parts - lot's of behind the scenes things that nobody really pays attention to until they're going wrong. 

All that military spending? Most of it goes to private contractors to develop tomorrow's fun new explosives which they then sell back to the country who funded R&D at a marked up price while also selling to to said funding companies enemies. Capitalism!

Since we've spent the last 40ish years sending all our manufacturing overseas (love those tax breaks), we no longer have the means the create a lot of that stuff. Our oil supply would last 2-3 months depending on usage (which given the way toilet paper disappeared last year, I can only imagine how hard people will hoard gasoline when word comes down we're not making it anymore).

We're a third world country in a Gucci belt, being held up by the very things the Right seems to hate (i.e: other countries full of not white folks).

Don't believe me? Don't care. A simple search on Google will verify what I've said here and no, I won't provide links because I've been burned by WAY too many bad faith debaters to waste my 30 seconds.

Edit: and just because I forgot to mention; all this huffing and puffing about the debt ceiling and all that shit - we're one of two countries in the world who has that. We're also the only FiRsT wOrLd CoUnTrY without universal healthcare, guaranteed time off, or maternity/paternity leave. We also rank somewhere around near last in the Happiness Scale, and we also have more people in prison than the next like 5 or 6 countries combined. 10/10 would leave if any country wanted an American.

Real glad you came into this message board intended for civil conversation with a reasonable and rational approach to my honest question rather than going in with a full head of steam with the intention to be a real dick. Those assholes are what makes people keep avoiding PnR.

Mellow

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 12:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:  I have always thought that financial responsibility/literacy should really be taught in school. There's way too many people graduating high school with no idea how to make and live within a budget. I had some friends back in the day like that. Maxing out credit cards for weeks long summer vacations while they were also gathering serious college debt, then buying a brand new truck for more debt as soon as they started getting any money rather than paying off all that debt.

Ohio just passed a bill on it.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local/law-to-require-financial-literacy-program-for-ohio-high-school-students/530-56e54ec1-b143-4de2-8ce4-51b69b00762a
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 12:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Real glad you came into this message board intended for civil conversation with a reasonable and rational approach to my honest question rather than going in with a full head of steam with the intention to be a real dick. Those assholes are what makes people keep avoiding PnR.

Mellow

Oh yeah because thinly veiled insults are so much better than laying it out there.

You have the world's knowledge sittingnin your pocket but you still say those tired lines about how great America is instead of actually looking up how much America has backwards. It reeks of bad faith when the same arguments get tossed out there.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 02:13 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Ohio just passed a bill on it.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local/law-to-require-financial-literacy-program-for-ohio-high-school-students/530-56e54ec1-b143-4de2-8ce4-51b69b00762a

So much of out culture and economy is based around buying stuff we don't need with money we don't have, though. 
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 03:16 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Oh yeah because thinly veiled insults are so much better than laying it out there.

You have the world's knowledge sittingnin your pocket but you still say those tired lines about how great America is instead of actually looking up how much America has backwards. It reeks of bad faith when the same arguments get tossed out there.

Where did I say once how "great" America is? I literally responded to you calling American not the most "powerful" country by listing things that make the country itself powerful. Then in order to back up your claim you brought up things like paid time off and happiness scales which have nothing to do with a nation's power. How the hell is that good faith? Claiming one thing and then arguing for an entire different criteria while being belligerent and condescending and then suggesting I said things I never did. You have words literally sitting in front of you but you don't give a shit about reading and instead want to come off half-cocked instead of having a calm and reasonable conversation. That's what reeks of bad faith.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 02:13 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Ohio just passed a bill on it.

Glad to hear it, and I hadn't until now, so thanks for the share. Hopefully it helps some kids get better financial starting years in adulthood than they would have gotten otherwise.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 04:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Where did I say once how "great" America is? I literally responded to you calling American not the most "powerful" country by listing things that make the country itself powerful. Then in order to back up your claim you brought up things like paid time off and happiness scales which have nothing to do with a nation's power. How the hell is that good faith? Claiming one thing and then arguing for an entire different criteria while being belligerent and condescending and then suggesting I said things I never did. You have words literally sitting in front of you but you don't give a shit about reading and instead want to come off half-cocked instead of having a calm and reasonable conversation. That's what reeks of bad faith.

Oh my mistake. I didn't realize great and powerful weren't interchangeable. I figured a smart guy like you would realize they could be. Doesn't matter - point stands. Cut off oil, and all those things that make us POWERFUL crumble like your principles when someone cops an attitude with you over your ridiculous arguments about power. It's all a house of cards.

At least I got you to put some feeling behind your posts and stop using back handed comments.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 04:11 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Oh my mistake. I didn't realize great and powerful weren't interchangeable. I figured a smart guy like you would realize they could be. Doesn't matter - point stands. Cut off oil, and all those things that make us POWERFUL crumble like your principles when someone cops an attitude with you over your ridiculous arguments about power. It's all a house of cards.

At least I got you to put some feeling behind your posts and stop using back handed comments.

It is your mistake. You have the world's knowledge sitting in your pocket but you're still saying some tired bullshit because you are realizing now you decided to immediately go full asshole rather than just be a reasonable person.

Which country is more powerful of the two:
1. North Korea
2. Iceland

Which country is the greatest of the two:
1. North Korea
2. Iceland

They're not interchangeable. They mean different things. Also, for all you're talking about with oil, in 2019 the US exported more energy than they imported.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=43395

You specifically mentioned a country like Saudi Arabia, but they're a fractional source at best, only accounting for about 6.6% of imports. The US imports almost 8 times more from Canada than Saudi Arabia the last 2 years. The US gets almost 5x are much from Canada as they do all of OPEC combined. OPEC as a whole group barely squeezes past Mexico.
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_a.htm

In fact the US got more from Russia in 2020 than they did Saudi Arabia. OPEC oil and other products have progressively become less and less of a thing for the US since Obama first entered office in 2008. They've dropped from over 2 billion barrels yearly in 2008 to 324 million in 2020.

Reply/Quote
If I may resurrect this thread to play devil's avocado...how do we know this isn't just a simple deep fake? Biden is barely moving, so editing things to make it look like his eyes are closed the whole time would be absurdly easy. Remember, we live in an era where facial video editing is so advanced dead actors can appear in current movies.
Reply/Quote