Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Blame the run game
(11-27-2023, 03:31 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he consistently gets more positive yards than Mixon + he had a knack for big plays as a receiver

Perine is better

Samaje Perine I believe has our longest play ever in the Playoffs, agree that he is currently better than Mixon.

We saw it yesterday with him running all over the Browns too.
Reply/Quote
It's funny.

SB loss - Why was Perrine in over Mixon?!?!?

Now, we rue losing him.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 03:03 PM)Synric Wrote: Did you know only two offenses in the NFL use a FB with any regularity, the Dolphins with Alec Ingold & the 49ers with Kyle Juszczyk, both teams are wide zone stretch teams.

So? FBs traditionally are very effective as lead blockers in power concepts. I'm just trying to squeeze every advantage. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 03:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny.

Now, we rue losing him.

Yeah, hindsight is always 20/20

Still, watching what Perine was doing in Denver compared to Mixon yesterday was eye opening.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 03:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

Such an impressive fail by Cordell Volson lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 03:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

Just stupid. Use the players to their strengths is all we can ask...

This is basic coaching.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 03:57 PM)Synric Wrote: Such an impressive fail by Cordell Volson lol.

Dude has been bad this season, I thought he would of been the most improved player on Offense. I was totally wrong.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 03:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just stupid. Use the players to their strengths is all we can ask...

This is basic coaching.

It is a simple power concept but that's not the impressive part. Watch Volson miss the combo block put his shoulder into Karras and knocks him over then miss times his hands on the second level block and misses that one too.

Lol
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 04:00 PM)Synric Wrote: It is a simple power concept but that's not the impressive part. Watch Volson miss the combo block put his shoulder into Karras and knocks him over then miss times his hands on the second level block and misses that one too.

Lol

Yeah, sure laid out a guy, our guy ha ha  Hilarious
Reply/Quote

Jonah lol. He was supposed to step right chip the DL and climb to the LB as the lead blocker. Would have been a big play too.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 03:31 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he consistently gets more positive yards than Mixon + he had a knack for big plays as a receiver

Perine is better

Unless of course you need him to get you a yard in the Super bowl. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 03:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny.

Now, we rue losing him.

I knew why he was in....but it didn't pan out like they hoped.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 04:00 PM)Synric Wrote: It is a simple power concept but that's not the impressive part. Watch Volson miss the combo block put his shoulder into Karras and knocks him over then miss times his hands on the second level block and misses that one too.

Lol

That's just......wow.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I do not have Mixon hate. I did question why he was making what he did before he restructured. Mixon is not why we are losing games. Mixon is not why we can't run on 3rd and short. He is strong and he is fast. He does not have great hands. I know he has pulled in some questionable throws, but I couldn't tell you the last time he smoothly pulled in a pass and turned upfield. He has poor balance when running at speed.
We do not have good run blockers. I don't care how big they are or how strong they are, inevitably someone fails to get their feet where they need to be to wall off a defender.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 04:58 PM)puddycat Wrote: I do not have Mixon hate.  I did question what he was making before he restructured.  Mixon is not why we are losing games.  Mixon is not why we can't run on 3rd and short.  He is strong and he is fast.  He does not have great hands.  I know he has pulled in some questionable throws, but I couldn't tell you the last time he smoothly pulled in a pass and turned upfield.  He has poor balance when running at speed.
We do not have good run blockers.  I don't care how big they are or how strong they are, inevitably someone fails to get their feet where they need to be to wall off a defender.

I have to disagree. Mixon does certainly have his faults. But I think you missed on some of these. He has really good hands and he does well catching the ball in motion and smoothly. What I don't think Mixon does well as a receiver is asking him to catch the ball while standing in a spot. I mean he catches the ball fine but is way too slow to turn up field and get moving. He also doesn't have true homerun speed or great short area quickness why I think he struggles on runs to the boundaries. He doesn't have the elite quickness to expose poor angles by defenders.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:23 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Backup QB (barely any experience) - check
Late November game with iffy weather - check
Going against below average Pitt rush defense - check
Rush it for 8 times (for 16 yards) - check check check.

I put this loss on Taylor and company. Browning is what he is right now. Defense was out there 37 minutes to the offense's 23 minutes, and did enough for a win. But to utilize the run game like they did is about as bad as I have seen. At this point, I am pretty much in the camp that the entire offensive coaching staff needs a big shakeup.
The only thing I knew going into the game was Robbins was getting a work out.  
Pittsburg limited the Bengals to only about 40 offensive plays while getting close to 70 of their own.  The Bengals are lucky they didn't lose by 30 points.
Mixon can't carry the Bengals in Burrow's absence.  True he only got 8 carries, but do you think the score would have been closer if he had 16?  
Mixon is talented and if he was averaging Najee Harris like numbers, 6.6/carry, all the pressure is off Browning and he can make short throws to advance the chains.  So defenses will keep a safety in the box, if necessary to stop the run, then force Browning to make longer throws, taking more time in the drop back and giving him little room to get to Chase.  Every defense will be thrilled to see Chase's Pittsburg stat line of 4 rec for 81 yards and 0 TD.

Browning got sacked, hurried, fumbled as a result.  All defenses will do this for the rest of the season.  
Reply/Quote

[Image: a1a2f00c-a45f-4bc0-bb20-942edd28c583_text.gif]

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 05:17 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: The only thing I knew going into the game was Robbins was getting a work out.  
Pittsburg limited the Bengals to only about 40 offensive plays while getting close to 70 of their own.  The Bengals are lucky they didn't lose by 30 points.
Mixon can't carry the Bengals in Burrow's absence.  True he only got 8 carries, but do you think the score would have been closer if he had 16?  
Mixon is talented and if he was averaging Najee Harris like numbers, 6.6/carry, all the pressure is off Browning and he can make short throws to advance the chains.  So defenses will keep a safety in the box, if necessary to stop the run, then force Browning to make longer throws, taking more time in the drop back and giving him little room to get to Chase.  Every defense will be thrilled to see Chase's Pittsburg stat line of 4 rec for 81 yards and 0 TD.

Browning got sacked, hurried, fumbled as a result.  All defenses will do this for the rest of the season.  

Based on the gameplan they took into that game, probably not. If anything though it would have helped time of possession helping the defense a tad. And maybe if a decent hole opened up could have changed one of those drives, field possession, etc. from that point on. Obviously in hindsight more carries could have had a better chance of winning that what did happen.

But if they had prepared to run the ball since they had mini-bye week, then yeah I think they could have had a better chance for winning. Streamline the run plays and practice them into the ground. Tell the line to man up and grow a pair to punch the Steelers D in the mouth. Instead, they just threw their hands up as it was clear they didn't prepare to run the ball. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
This is why I’ll be fine with moving on from Pollack. Not so much the pass protection.

And yes, I also think Mixon is a big part of the problem, too.

Reply/Quote