Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Blaming Nuge for this loss
(10-30-2016, 03:58 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Dude, you have your own opinions. Why does it matter? I'm trying to find where the misguided blame is for. I watched the whole game and was pissed a hell when Nuge missed his kicks. But that seemed distant once we had the lead.

You already blamed Dalton in another thread today so i'm guessing this thread is a set up to slam him again although i could be wrong. We have already had our little chat about Dalton last week, i know where you stand with him and that's fine. Like you said "opinions" and no doubt nobody is going to change yours. Still. i gotta say your opinions are cryptic at best sometimes. Take this thread for example.

Without a doubt he didn't play his best game today but his offense did manage to put up 27 points while the D continued to get torched for another "career day". Nugent was also a turd  but you have chosen not to see it oh well.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 04:15 PM)JumboTron Wrote: If that's how you see it, that's fine.  But for me, I don't think he's a good kicker, and I do believe he had a HUGE part in costing us an important win.  I also believe he is not going to get better.  We need an upgrade.  Who would that be?  I don't know, but I don't think it would be too difficult to find a kicker more reliable than Mike Nugent.

I never liked Nugent. For all I care they can cut him tomorrow. I was just trying to point out that he wasn't responsible. 
Reply/Quote
We should have just signed a soccer player from the stands for this game.
Reply/Quote
Both kickers blew it for their teams, in hindsight.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 04:19 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: You already blamed Dalton in another thread today so i'm guessing this thread is a set up to slam him again although i could be wrong. We have already had our little chat about Dalton last week, i know where you stand with him and that's fine. Like you said "opinions" and no doubt nobody is going to change yours. Still. i gotta say your opinions are cryptic at best sometimes. Take this thread for example.

Without a doubt he didn't play his best game today but his offense did manage to put up 27 points while the D continued to get torched for another "career day". Nugent was also a turd  but you have chosen not to see it oh well.

Nugent was indeed a turd. Just not the reason we lost.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:15 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Missed PAT was the difference. That can't happen unless they are playing in a hurricane.

The redskins kicker missed 2 FG attempts....would you rather have him?
Reply/Quote
Two big reasons we lost:

1.)Andy's INT in the red zone when we already had the lead.
2.) The D's subsequent surrender of back to back 80+ yard TD drives.
Reply/Quote
It's pretty silly and unfair to blame Nugent for the non-win. Both kickers had bad days and probably because of the difference in turf and footing on that field at Wembley. There were a few fall-downs so it probably wasn't just kickers who had trouble with the footing.

Andy had the one bad pick that turned momentum but he wasn't responsible either. Neither was the defense allowing 600 yards or something like that.

I guess I just don't really like these types of threads and felt like saying something.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 04:37 PM)TreasureCoastBenGal Wrote: It's pretty silly and unfair to blame Nugent for the non-win. Both kickers had bad days and probably because of the difference in turf and footing on that field at Wembley. There were a few fall-downs so it probably wasn't just kickers who had trouble with the footing.

Andy had the one bad pick that turned momentum but he wasn't responsible either. Neither was the defense allowing 600 yards or something like that.

I guess I just don't really like these types of threads and felt like saying something.

We blew in a lot of different areas today no doubt.  Just really sucks when our dork kicker can't make an XP
Reply/Quote
Nugent is paid to make those kicks. However, the defense missed tackles all afternoon so they were just as much to blame.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:12 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Is the most ridiculous thing possible. His missed kicks were well before we had the lead. Can you please explain what I'm missing?

He was definitely a major factor in the loss. Missing a PAT is always a huge thing in a close game.

That said, the defense is pretty bad and can't get stops. They couldn't get off the field on 3rd down all day. They get no pressure. Cousins almost threw for 500 yards. You won't win a lot of games when that happens.
Reply/Quote
Just dropping in to say Nugent blows goats... I hate me some Dalton but Nuge has one job and has been horrible all year.... Cut his ass now....
Reply/Quote
The defense allowed the exact same number of points as our offense generated. I don't usually count on FG's and xps to win games . Also since nobody really knows if it's the kicker's fault or the holder's fault it's tough to only blame the kicker every single time. Heck, it's Ogbuihi's fault AJ drops passes sometimes.. No wait..Nugents fault for that..Heck , just blame Kirkpatric for AJ dropping passes. He makes him over confident by making it look too easy for WRs.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I understand your thoughts on not blaming Nugent but I disagree completely. If he would have made the extra point which he is paid to do, and with no wind whatsoever, then the team wins 28-27 and there is no OT period.
Reply/Quote
I changed my mind .  i blame the no smoking campaigns and alcoholics anonymous . if Nuge were allowed to have a cigarette and shot of bourbon before kicks he'd never miss ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'm not sure why everone is so mad at Nugent. He is doing exactly what he's been doing his an entire career...a below average kicker. His performance should not be a surprise to anyone. People should be mad at the front office/coach for never seriously trying to upgrade that position.
Reply/Quote
Once again, Nugent is paid to make make XPs. You EXPECT him to make XPs. His expectancy to make XPs is say higher than expecting Dalton throw TDs. Is higher than expecting Geno Atkins to get a sack. It's probably even higher than AJ Green making a single catch all game.

If Nugent was expected to make 1 out of 100 XPs, then we have nothing to say. But no, he's not.

I'm not sure why this concept is to tough to understand. Nugent lost that game. Other people helped, nobody ever plays a perfect game. Just like HILL lost the playoff game, instead - blame Burfict and Adam Jones.

It's hard to argue with tihck skulls (fresno B). This thread is a waste of time. Nugent should be fired, now, or later. He's going to do this in a playoff game and you'll have more excuses that it was Dalton's fault for holding the ball too long.

Here's how I hear Fresno's argument. Nugent is a flat tire and someone blames that the car is low on fuel so it just needs to be filled up and everything is OK. It makes no sense. Nugent is not low on air, he is flat. The red light on your dashboard, not yellow.

Yes, you can blame kickers for a loss, and Nugent will kill you in the playoffs. Not me, I've already disowned him. Doesn't matter much in a non playoff year.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 06:42 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: I'm not sure why everone is so mad at Nugent.  He is doing exactly what he's been doing his an entire career...a below average kicker.  His performance should not be a surprise to anyone.  People should be mad at the front office/coach for never seriously trying to upgrade that position.

Oh believe me, I am
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:15 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Missed PAT was the difference. That can't happen unless they are playing in a hurricane.

A lot of things were the difference.

I counted two under thrown balls to AJ when he had Norman beat and both could have turned into TDs.

The fumble in OT prevented a FG attempt for the win.

Broken coverage in the secondary (multiple times) led to Redskins scores. I have no idea what was going on back there and I'm fairly sure the secondary guys didn't either the way they got turned around.

Nugent's missed extra point (and I do agree that it's pretty lame for a professional kicker to miss an extra point) was a single point and a single point may have won the game. You can only really say may have won the game because Washington would not have tied it with that FG in the 4th quarter but would have gone for it on 4th down and may have scored a TD to win it in regulation.

All of that said, I have no idea why we didn't upgrade the kicker spot during the off season. Nugent is clearly at the end of the road and was last year.

Marvin Lewis accepts mediocre play which is why we have mediocre play. It's really that simple. Nugent's job has never been on the line that I can remember.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 09:15 PM)BengalChris Wrote: A lot of things were the difference.

I counted two under thrown balls to AJ when he had Norman beat and both could have turned into TDs.

The fumble in OT prevented a FG attempt for the win.

Broken coverage in the secondary (multiple times) led to Redskins scores. I have no idea what was going on back there and I'm fairly sure the secondary guys didn't either the way they got turned around.

Nugent's missed extra point (and I do agree that it's pretty lame for a professional kicker to miss an extra point) was a single point and a single point may have won the game. You can only really say may have won the game because Washington would not have tied it with that FG in the 4th quarter but would have gone for it on 4th down and may have scored a TD to win it in regulation.

All of that said, I have no idea why we didn't upgrade the kicker spot during the off season. Nugent is clearly at the end of the road and was last year.

Marvin Lewis accepts mediocre play which is why we have mediocre play. It's really that simple. Nugent's job has never been on the line that I can remember.

We should blame Alex Erickson for not running back a TD every time.

This loss was on Michael Nugent, he's done it before, and he'll do it again.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote