Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Blaming Nuge for this loss
Well if nugent makes XP redskins don't score 27 they either score 24 or 31 so we are talking about the unknown. And while nugent did miss an xp, unfortunately it happens now in the NFL.

At the end of first half Washington goes for a 55 yard field goal with 16 clicks on the clock. Call a timeout there!!! If he misses (and he did) you can at least attempt a Hail Mary or try and gain 20
Yards and go for the field goal. The lack of any motivation on offense kills me!!!

Then, when it matters and you are already near FG range in OT... Where a FG wins it the bengals should probably run it twice and probably go for a 52-55 yard field goal that may or may not be made. What do they do... Pass twice and take a sack to get knocked out of field goal range!!! Never had a chance to win.

The players didn't execute but rarely do TNF and London games ever play out with great player execution. I honestly put the blame on coaching... Again.

Nugent needs to make kicks, but Marvin & Co had two more opportunities to get two additional chances at a field goal and simply blew it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nugent is currently 27th in the NFL in FG percentage at 73.7% (14 of 19)
Nugent is currently 19th in the NFL in XP percentage at 94.4% (17 of 18)
However, Nugent is actually 9th in the NFL in FGs made (14).

A look into Nugent's missed FGs shows that all of his misses have come from 40+ yards out (4/6 made from 40-49 yds, 0/3 made from 50+ yds).
The extra point is now at 33 yards, so that's the only kick he's missed less than 40 yards.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalsMade

Many fans feel that unless it's a 50+ yarder, no FG kick should be missed if a kicker is good. And even then, what's considered satisfactory for 50+ yarders? 50%?

I'm not trying to defend Nugent, as I too think he's been frustrating over the years and there's definitely room for improvement. Many teams find low draft pick or UDFA kickers and have more success than Nugent has had in recent years.

But what is considered good? A certain percentage? Automatic from anything under 50? Top 10 in the league?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:01 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Well if nugent makes XP redskins don't score 27 they either score 24 or 31 so we are talking about the unknown.  And while nugent did miss an xp, unfortunately it happens now in the NFL.

At the end of first half Washington goes for a 55 yard field goal with 16 clicks on the clock.  Call a timeout there!!! If he misses (and he did) you can at least attempt a Hail Mary or try and gain 20
Yards and go for the field goal.  The lack of any motivation on offense kills me!!!

Then, when it matters and you are already near FG range in OT... Where a FG wins it the bengals should probably run it twice and probably go for a 52-55 yard field goal that may or may not be made.  What do they do... Pass twice and take a sack to get knocked out of field goal range!!! Never had a chance to win.

The players didn't execute but rarely do TNF and London games ever play out with great player execution.  I honestly put the blame on coaching... Again.  

Nugent needs to make kicks, but Marvin & Co had two more opportunities to get two additional chances at a field goal and simply blew it.

Well stated. Nuge has been less than Nuge of late but he didn't lose this game. Both kickers had trouble kicking on that soccer field.

The D giving up 90 yard plus drives, a 3rd string RB punking them, two TE's running roughshod over them, and the defensive game plan is where I would begin being upset.

AD fumbling the ball....I mean really Andy? How many times will he continue to do this? He should have learned this lesson already. If that was Brady, BB would have his foot half way up his rear end over it.    

This was a missed opportunity,starting with the coaches and continuing on down the line.                         
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Nugent is currently 27th in the NFL in FG percentage at 73.7% (14 of 19)
Nugent is currently 19th in the NFL in XP percentage at 94.4% (17 of 18)
However, Nugent is actually 9th in the NFL in FGs made (14).

A look into Nugent's missed FGs shows that all of his misses have come from 40+ yards out (4/6 made from 40-49 yds, 0/3 made from 50+ yds).
The extra point is now at 33 yards, so that's the only kick he's missed less than 40 yards.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalsMade

Many fans feel that unless it's a 50+ yarder, no FG kick should be missed if a kicker is good. And even then, what's considered satisfactory for 50+ yarders? 50%?

I'm not trying to defend Nugent, as I too think he's been frustrating over the years and there's definitely room for improvement. Many teams find low draft pick or UDFA kickers and have more success than Nugent has had in recent years.

But what is considered good? A certain percentage? Automatic from anything under 50? Top 10 in the league?

Also taking into consideration, that since the Extra point has been moved back, Nugent had only missed once, and it was not a miss, it was a blocked kick...... of which the blame goes to the line for allowing that kind of push....
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:42 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Well stated. Nuge has been less than Nuge of late but he didn't lose this game. Both kickers had trouble kicking on that soccer field.

The D giving up 90 yard plus drives, a 3rd string RB punking them, two TE's running roughshod over them, and the defensive game plan is where I would begin being upset.

AD fumbling the ball....I mean really Andy? How many times will he continue to do this? He should have learned this lesson already. If that was Brady, BB would have his foot half way up his rear end over it.    

This was a missed opportunity,starting with the coaches and continuing on down the line.                         

And did you see the slow motion of that pile where Andy fumbled. Why in the hell put that QB into something like that when it's just begging for him to get hurt. That's why we have running backs....
Reply/Quote
Nugent is terrible, and he knows it. He just stands there on the sideline with arms folded thinking "At least I was decent at Ohio State."
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:52 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Also taking into consideration, that since the Extra point has been moved back, Nugent had only missed once, and it was not a miss, it was a blocked kick...... of which the blame goes to the line for allowing that kind of push....

It was a blocked kick on the XP yesterday? I thought it was a whiff.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 12:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It was a blocked kick on the XP yesterday? I thought it was a whiff.

No, I was talking about his record before yesterdays game. From the time they moved the extra kick back until yesterday, he made all but one, which was blocked.
Reply/Quote