Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bodine has a point
Quote:SNAP CALL:Bengals center Russell Bodine has been here before. In fact, last year during his first training camp on the way to a solid rookie season.

On Thursday there was another wayward Bodine snap, a problem that has surfaced with alarming frequency. The same thing happened last preseason, but it didn’t become an issue during the season.

On Monday, a bad snap sparked an Andy Dalton outburst. On Thursday, they replaced Bodine with T.J. Johnson for three plays and he and Dalton had an exchange problem, too. Bodine came back and he says the consistent snapping will too.

“Last year I had to tell you that it wouldn’t be a problem and I’ll tell you the same thing again,” Bodine said after practice. “We’re trying to work on different techniques. Obviously it’s not acceptable even though we’re working on different techniques. It messes up the whole play. “

Bodine says it comes down to handling the ball differently to match the pass protection.

“We’re trying different stuff with my hands to try and firm up middle protection and we don’t have it down yet,” Bodine said. “I don’t know when you’re supposed to work on this stuff other than practice. It is practice.

“You don’t want to be the guy to let the team down,” Bodine said. “But I don’t know when you’re supposed to work on it.”

First off, doesn't he have a point? Evidently, the offense at UNC didn't demand that the center use different grips and techniques for "handling the ball differently to match the pass protection."

Secondly, I'm impressed that centers have different snaps for different protections. Does anyone here know about these things?

Next off-season, Andy will have to invite his WRs and his centers to train with him, I guess.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bodine had serous snap problems last preseason too...and played pretty well last regular season all things considered.  I have high hopes for him this year and hope that he can get it all together in time for when it really matters.  
Reply/Quote
Let's hope this isn't the case. If he grips the ball differently for certain plays then the opposing defense and/or coaches will pick up on it.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Hopefully, this is a case of trying something new. So you F up now, work on it, and come out better than before when it really matters.
[Image: forumpic2.jpg]
When I die, I will get to shake Mr. Paul Browns hand and hear him say "Damn, you never stopped believing, did you?"
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 10:19 PM)Shady Wrote: First off, doesn't he have a point? Evidently, the offense at UNC didn't demand that the center use different grips and techniques for "handling the ball differently to match the pass protection."

Secondly, I'm impressed that centers have different snaps for different protections. Does anyone here know about these things?

Next off-season, Andy will have to invite his WRs and his centers to train with him, I guess.

First, yes. I never get worked up in practices or preseason as that's the only chance they get to experiment. Especially for guys ho are a few years into their career. When you hear they're having a bad camp, usually I chalk it up to trying something new or just taking some plays off because it's camp.

Second, I don't know much about that, but I don't like it. I've heard stories over the years where some offenses knew a blitz was coming (whether it was showing or not) based off the way linemen were holding their hands. Or defenses would know if it was going to be a running play based off the way linemen dipped a shoulder at the line. There was something about Chad when he was here, a defender pointed out something he did at the line if it was a pass play. If Bodine is giving tells with his snaps, smart coaches will eat that up.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 11:44 PM)Benton Wrote: First, yes. I never get worked up in practices or preseason as that's the only chance they get to experiment. Especially for guys ho are a few years into their career. When you hear they're having a bad camp, usually I chalk it up to trying something new or just taking some plays off because it's camp.

Second, I don't know much about that, but I don't like it. I've heard stories over the years where some offenses knew a blitz was coming (whether it was showing or not) based off the way linemen were holding their hands. Or defenses would know if it was going to be a running play based off the way linemen dipped a shoulder at the line. There was something about Chad when he was here, a defender pointed out something he did at the line if it was a pass play. If Bodine is giving tells with his snaps, smart coaches will eat that up.

Insightful stuff there Joe. Seems I read a similar thought somewhere .... Ninja
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 12:00 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Insightful stuff there Joe. Seems I read a similar thought somewhere .... Ninja

Well, thanks to Hobspin for blabbing about it. If other teams didn't know to look for it before (they probably did), they do now.  :angry:
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Does kind of worry me because he could be working on it in the offseason with Dalton, even if just on occasion. It's the most important transfer of the football in the game, so it's worth getting it down.

I used to come out a half an hour before practices and games to take snaps from the center just to make sure that we had it down.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 12:00 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Insightful stuff there Joe. Seems I read a similar thought somewhere .... Ninja

Mellow

Your post was too concise, I needed to bloviate. 
Reply/Quote
To clarify - it's not hand placement on the ball, so there are no "tells" there. It's a blocking technique - or that hand action coming off the snap and into his block. It happens in a split second, and he wouldn't elaborate on how exactly that technique works or how it's different - but insisted it's part of his protections. In that regard, it's impossible to truly do that unless you're going 11-on-11 and actually blocking other people (especially a guy like Atkins).
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 01:07 AM)jowczarski Wrote: To clarify - it's not hand placement on the ball, so there are no "tells" there. It's a blocking technique - or that hand action coming off the snap and into his block. It happens in a split second, and he wouldn't elaborate on how exactly that technique works or how it's different - but insisted it's part of his protections. In that regard, it's impossible to truly do that unless you're going 11-on-11 and actually blocking other people (especially a guy like Atkins).

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. That makes me feel better. If it's something he's doing during or post snap, then that's not what I was picturing in my head, which was basically that he was dipping a shoulder or holding it higher.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 11:44 PM)Benton Wrote: First, yes. I never get worked up in practices or preseason as that's the only chance they get to experiment. Especially for guys ho are a few years into their career. When you hear they're having a bad camp, usually I chalk it up to trying something new or just taking some plays off because it's camp.

I believe it was that Chad wouldn't completely snap his chin strap on when it was a running play.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 01:07 AM)jowczarski Wrote: To clarify - it's not hand placement on the ball, so there are no "tells" there. It's a blocking technique - or that hand action coming off the snap and into his block. It happens in a split second, and he wouldn't elaborate on how exactly that technique works or how it's different - but insisted it's part of his protections. In that regard, it's impossible to truly do that unless you're going 11-on-11 and actually blocking other people (especially a guy like Atkins).

Even the best centers in the world are slightly disadvantaged blockers. Depending on what you are asking a center to do on a certain play they might try to snap it faster or with a certain rotation among a plethora of other slight modifications (in shotgun and under center). Honestly I'm not worried because snapping issues are something can be worked through and are certainly more common at the beginning of a season. 
Reply/Quote

So basically, his ass is too big or his arms are too short to play the position. LOL  :jk:
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 01:31 AM)treee Wrote: I believe it was that Chad wouldn't completely snap his chin strap on when it was a running play.

He would leave his gloves unfastened
Reply/Quote

I'm not so sure about this. Green Bay has gone on the same two snap counts since Brett Favre was there and nobody ever gets tries to jump them. If it's not snapped after the second "blue 58" it will be snapped on the second "green 18".
Reply/Quote
Bodine snapped all through out college too, and there was never a knock on him during that time.

I mean who drafts a center that cant snap? That's like priority number one when looking at this position.

Honestly im not too alarmed at this.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 08:47 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Bodine snapped all through out college too, and there was never a knock on him during that time.

I mean who drafts a center that cant snap? That's like priority number one when looking at this position.

[Image: paul-piano.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 08:49 AM)djs7685 Wrote: [Image: paul-piano.jpg]

Meh... Im slowly growing out of my anti Paul Alexander phase. I've come to realize aside from his unrelenting faith in that bum Giuichic, he hasn't been all that bad. I mean our offensive line has been one of the better ones in the league the last few years. He was kind of put in a difficult position when we had no talent on that line after we lost Steinbach, Willie, and Richie all in a matter of a couple of seasons, then add the miserly Mike Brown not willing to pony up for free agent help.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 08:55 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Meh... Im slowly growing out of my anti Paul Alexander phase. I've come to realize aside from his unrelenting faith in that bum Giuichic, he hasn't been all that bad. I mean our offensive line has been one of the better ones in the league the last few years. He was kind of put in a difficult position when we had no talent on that line after we lost Steinbach, Willie, and Richie all in a matter of a couple of seasons, then add the miserly Mike Brown not willing to pony up for free agent help.

Oh, I don't think Alexander is terrible, but you asked who drafts a center with snapping issues, and wasn't Bodine "Paul's guy"??

I could be wrong about that, but I remember talk when he was drafted about Bodine being hand picked by Paul.
Reply/Quote