Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boling not practicing until Training Camp
'With incumbent left guard Clint Boling not practicing until training camp, he may be looking at a valuable utility role since he can play potentially all five spots, but he can for sure play both guards and tackles.'

Furthermore: Hobson projects line to be: Hart/Miller/Price/Glenn/Williams atleast initially.

https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-change-of-pace
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 12:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 'With incumbent left guard Clint Boling not practicing until training camp, he may be looking at a valuable utility role since he can play potentially all five spots, but he can for sure play both guards and tackles.'

Furthermore: Hobson projects line to be: Hart/Miller/Price/Glenn/Williams atleast initially.

Boling needs to start at RT if healthy. Or at least get a shot. 

If the coaches feel otherwise, I'll just have to trust them and see. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 12:35 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Boling needs to start at RT if healthy. Or at least get a shot. 

If the coaches feel otherwise, I'll just have to trust them and see. 

I'm not thrilled our right side is going to be Hart and Miller either. But, switching Boling to RT will probably require practice time which he won't have.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 12:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 'With incumbent left guard Clint Boling not practicing until training camp, he may be looking at a valuable utility role since he can play potentially all five spots, but he can for sure play both guards and tackles.'

I assume you wrote this backwards? Why would Hart be at LT?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 12:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I assume you wrote this backwards? Why would Hart be at LT?

Depends on which direction you're looking at the line from! ;-p

Hart RT. Miller RG. Price C. Glenn LG. Williams LT.
Reply/Quote
I don't see how they can keep Boiling on the roster if he doesn't start. In all honesty it sounds like the front office is telling the coaches who and where to play people.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 12:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Depends on which direction you're looking at the line from! ;-p

Hart RT. Miller RG. Price C. Glenn LG. Williams LT.

Don't do that man lol

LT - Jonah Williams
LG - Cordy Glenn
C - Billy Price
RG - John Miller
RT - Bobby Hart

Hearing that Miller can talk X's and O's all day long made me feel better about Hart starting. Hopefully with a smart RG that isn't a walking penalty next to him it will help Hart improve immensely. I wanted Boling at RT over Hart but i agree that if it takes him until TC to practice there it might not happen unless Hart gets injured. Just have to hope Hart gets much better i guess or one of the other guys.

Honestly doesn't make me as confident as i would be if Boling was healthy and starting at RT.
Reply/Quote
Hart was poor last season but to be honest Redmond was just as bad. Miller is a significant upgrade over Redmond.

What I dislike about Hart is unless he really improves it will force us to line up Sample on the right side to chip on passing downs. That flies in the face of one of the things ZT said he wants to do on offense - run and pass out of the same formations. On the good side, Hart is better run blocking so the line they are proposing will allow for power running both to the left and to the right.
Reply/Quote
I never thought Bolings roster spot was in trouble (why would they pay a RG 9m, and not the 5m owed to Boling). But the more Hobspin talks, the more I think there's a shot.

I agree. He won't stick around to be a utility backup.

A smart FO will trade him. Ours will likely cut him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 01:31 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I don't see how they can keep Boiling on the roster if he doesn't start. In all honesty it sounds like the front office is telling the coaches who and where to play people.

A multi-positional experienced line player as first back up...why cut him? If first option line doesn't work out wouldn't you want a Clint Boling waiting in the wings?  Our cap situation isn't dire so it's not like we need to move him to save money.  We still have plenty of options to work if we need to make cap space to re-sign AJ.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 02:06 PM)pally Wrote: A multi-positional experienced line player as first back up...why cut him? If first option line doesn't work out wouldn't you want a Clint Boling waiting in the wings?  Our cap situation isn't dire so it's not like we need to move him to save money.  We still have plenty of options to work if we need to make cap space to re-sign AJ.

Spot on Pally.
Reply/Quote
To all of those arguing that Boling should be the RT or have a shot at the RT position I would like to know why?

Boling has been looked at as our best lineman since Whit and Zeitler left but that has been because of consistency and his overall ranking. His ranking has been elevated due to the fact that he is an above average pass protector. However, he is below average run blocker and is no way a road grading, physical type run blocker that you are looking for at the RT position.

This regime is not making any sort of secret out of the fact that they are planning to showcase the running game. With this being the case I do not see Boling as a fit at the RT position at all.

In fact, I will not be shocked if Boling is not a part of the roster when the final cuts are made.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 02:23 PM)OSUfan Wrote: To all of those arguing that Boling should be the RT or have a shot at the RT position I would like to know why?

Boling has been looked at as our best lineman since Whit and Zeitler left but that has been because of consistency and his overall ranking. His ranking has been elevated due to the fact that he is an above average pass protector. However, he is below average run blocker and is no way a road grading, physical type run blocker that you are looking for at the RT position.

This regime is not making any sort of secret out of the fact that they are planning to showcase the running game. With this being the case I do not see Boling as a fit at the RT position at all.

In fact, I will not be shocked if Boling is not a part of the roster when the final cuts are made.

Boling is a better pass protector than Hart by a long shot and was a better run blocker than Zeitler when he was here.

Maybe he is not a road grader but Boling is more than solid.

Cannot say any of this about Hart.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 02:06 PM)pally Wrote: A multi-positional experienced line player as first back up...why cut him? If first option line doesn't work out wouldn't you want a Clint Boling waiting in the wings?  Our cap situation isn't dire so it's not like we need to move him to save money.  We still have plenty of options to work if we need to make cap space to re-sign AJ.

Stop with that Hobspin line of Thinking,
AJ is on the books this year for 15 mil, all that happens is next year the 15 mil goes back into cap space. Sign him again for 2-3 years at 15 mil (or less) and it's a net zero situation.

Now we will have to create money for Boyd's 10 mil, but his 1.5 mil comes off the books next year as well, so we need to find 8.5 mil (and easy enough with all of the 1 year 4-5 mil contracts we have been handing out to players).
Reply/Quote

I agree with this.  There is absolutely no reason to cut Clint Boling.  Having an experienced, versatile veteran on the bench is a valuable tool to have.  Given how much he's had to play with injuries the past couple years, it would seem wise to let him get to full health, and then ease him into spot duty.  Then if you really need him to take over a starting role, he'll be good to go for the end of the season run, where he's been breaking down in the past couple years.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Why would he be Practicing?
He's coming off an injury and is one of our better players. No need to rush him and get hurt.

Besides, it's good for Glenn to see if he can actually play LG, and you know why he's saying fine to doing what ever the Bengals want? he won't get another 2 yr/9.5 mil contract on the Free Market. He's not stupid and he knows the Bengals can walk away from his contract today with no loss.

Also, the new OL Coach said players will be playing all over until they figure out the best fits for them. So that OL Projection means very little at this time. If Glenn is playing good, they could bump him back out to LT with Boling at LG and Jonah at RT. It's too soon to tell.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 03:11 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Why would he be Practicing?
He's coming off an injury and is one of our better players. No need to rush him and get hurt.

Besides, it's good for Glenn to see if he can actually play LG, and you know why he's saying fine to doing what ever the Bengals want? he won't get another 2 yr/9.5 mil contract on the Free Market. He's not stupid and he knows the Bengals can walk away from his contract today with no loss.

Also, the new OL Coach said players will be playing all over until they figure out the best fits for them. So that OL Projection means very little at this time. If Glenn is playing good, they could bump him back out to LT with Boling at LG and Jonah at RT. It's too soon to tell.

This is basically what I'm thinking, though I suspect the Bengals would like to avoid moving Williams around if they can help it.
Reply/Quote
The reports of Clint's demise are greatly exaggerated. Dude is our best Olineman, is an iron man, and just turned 30.

Make it stop.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 03:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The reports of Clint's demise are greatly exaggerated. Dude is our best Olineman, is an iron man, and just turned 30.

Make it stop.

He is also on the last year of his deal, which makes me believe he won't be back after this year even if he makes it through training camp. I get the feeling they want to be younger on the line so the unit can grow together. They resigned Hopkins and drafted Jordan which makes me think those two plus Miller are the future at guard/back up center. 
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 03:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: He is also on the last year of his deal, which makes me believe he won't be back after this year even if he makes it through training camp. I get the feeling they want to be younger on the line so the unit can grow together. They resigned Hopkins and drafted Jordan which makes me think those two plus Miller are the future at guard/back up center. 

I agree with that, but it's not the same as people claiming he will be cut this year. He will finish off this year as a Bengal, next year depends on the development of the younger guys over the course of the year and Boling's on the field play. It's not a decision that can be made today or maybe even this year.
Reply/Quote