Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boling not practicing until Training Camp
(05-26-2019, 03:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't matter if you are a big body road grader if you don't have the technique or discipline ala Alex Redmond.

I will take a smaller, technically sound, disciplined Lineman over a big body road grader that committs penalties all game.

Boling was better then Glenn last season too, Boling should beat out every player on the Line at LG or RT. He is simply better then everyone, so he should start IF he is healthy and playing as such. Hope Hart improves but i am with the fellas concerned with seeing his name in the starting Lineup so much. Hart needs to improve big time, especially in pass blocking where Boling is really good.

Agree. 77 had penalties, but they were smart ones a lot of the times. Sometimes 10yds is better than losing your QB for the year. Not the case a lot the last few years with this line. False starts and stupid stuff has been the penalties we've been plagued with since Whit and Zeitler left. Stupid decisions and lack of discipline. As usual, always seemed at crucial moments of the game. Be a damn PRO!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 10:17 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I think if you would look at the oline from right too left with Williams, Miller, Price, Boiling, Glenn anyone would be happy with that especially when you compare it to the 17 line. However the love affair with Hart makes zero sense and starting him screws up the whole line.

Precisely my thoughts.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 09:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not really.  Boling is injured.  ZT has to start with some unit and this one, with the players available, makes the most sense.

I still don't understand why everyone is so convinced Hart is the problem.  Glenn barely had a better PFF ranking and he made a hell of a lot more money.  Hart is still 24 years old.  Whit was 28 when he finally lined up at LT for good.  He has steadily improved, but really needs to cut down the horribly timed penalties.  

It's more than the Penalties for Hart. He allowed A LOT of sacks too:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 03:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't matter if you are a big body road grader if you don't have the technique or discipline ala Alex Redmond.

I will take a smaller, technically sound, disciplined Lineman over a big body road grader that committs penalties all game.

Boling was better then Glenn last season too, Boling should beat out every player on the Line at LG or RT. He is simply better then everyone, so he should start IF he is healthy and playing as such. Hope Hart improves but i am with the fellas concerned with seeing his name in the starting Lineup so much. Hart needs to improve big time, especially in pass blocking where Boling is really good.

Miller struggles run blocking. People see he weights 10 lbs more than Boling and think that means he's some road grader. He's not.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 09:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Miller struggles run blocking. People see he weights 10 lbs more than Boling and think that means he's some road grader. He's not.

Yeah, makes me wonder a bit, Turner is a directional road blocking physical O-line coach, i hope we are not doing the same thing as PA did putting a square peg in a round hole. Have to trust the new OL coach though until he fails at what he does.

Must of seen something in Miller to bring him here.

The Boling hate makes me wonder as does the Miller signing if they are close to the same player, but Boling being better so far, by far in their careers also makes me wonder about the people questioning Boling even more...
Reply/Quote
They looked at the tape on Miller - the Bills have been flip flopping back and forth between zone and directional drive blocking and when they used a drive blocking system Miller was not bad (for example his best years they were using drive blocking).
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:22 PM)Joelist Wrote: They looked at the tape on Miller - the Bills have been flip flopping back and forth between zone and directional drive blocking and when they used a drive blocking system Miller was not bad (for example his best years they were using drive blocking).

Thanks buddy, made me feel better about Miller.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, makes me wonder a bit, Turner is a directional road blocking physical O-line coach, i hope we are not doing the same thing as PA did putting a square peg in a round hole. Have to trust the new OL coach though until he fails at what he does.

The Boling hate makes me wonder as does the Miller signing if they are close to the same player, but Boling being better so far, by far in their careers also makes me wonder about the people questioning Boling even more...

Yeah...who knows? There putting Glenn and Williams at the Tackle spots seems to be the clearest path to a decent o-line.

Miller is better than Redmond...and had his best year last year. They likely hope he continues to improve I guess. I'm more ok with him starting than Hart.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...who knows? There putting Glenn and Williams at the Tackle spots seems to be the clearest path to a decent o-line.

Miller is better than Redmond...and had his best year last year. They likely hope he continues to improve I guess. I'm more ok with him starting than Hart.

Feel the same Pistons.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, makes me wonder a bit, Turner is a directional road blocking physical O-line coach, i hope we are not doing the same thing as PA did putting a square peg in a round hole. Have to trust the new OL coach though until he fails at what he does.

What most of you are not taking into account is that Boling is in his 30's and we have a new coaching staff that most likely wants guys that can be around for years to come to grow with them. If Boling does make the team this year it will be nothing more then a bandaid that will most likely be replaced with a draft pick very soon.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:28 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: What most of you are not taking into account is that Boling is in his 30's and we have a new coaching staff that most likely wants guys that can be around for years to come to grow with them. If Boling does make the team this year it will be nothing more then a bandaid that will most likely be replaced with a draft pick very soon.

What you are not taking into account is that Offensive Lineman can play into their mid 30's and be better than shitty players like Hart. Funny that you say our best O-lineman is nothing more then a bandaid... LOL

Hit the bong again my friend.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What you are not taking into account is that Offensive Lineman can play into their mid 30's and be better than shitty players like Hart. Funny that you say our best O-lineman is nothing more then a bandaid... LOL

Hit the bong again my friend.
They let Whit go in his 30's you think Boling is good enough to stick around long term? lol

You are calling him our best Olineman that's your opinion nothing more. 

Drink up Nate.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:36 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: They let Whit go in his 30's you think Boling is good enough to stick around long term? lol

You are calling him our best Olineman that's your opinion nothing more. 

Drink up Nate.

It was beyond stupid to let Whit go brother and i said it then.

Boling is our best O-lineman until Jonah shows he is which should be soon...

Thanks buddy, i will.

Sorry if i was a jerk man.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It was beyond stupid to let Whit go brother and i said it then.

Thanks buddy, i will.

I was glad when we sent Whit down the road and will be just as happy when Boling departs.

Don't worry about it Nate I don't think you are a jerk. Much worse....lol joking bro. We all root for the same team we just have different opinions about how the team should be built. Lets just hope the coaches have a better vision and unity then us fans sometimes... GO BENGALS
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It was beyond stupid to let Whit go brother and i said it then.

Thanks buddy, i will.

Whit was 35 and had been having more and more knee issues. He had even dropped weight his last season in Cincinnati to try and relieve that issue a bit. They made him an offer to stay just not the amount that he wanted. He is an aging lineman that whether some want to admit it or not is beating the odds.

"Most elite offensive tackles start to decline at roughly the age of 32 if they haven't already. At that point most of these men have been playing tackle football for 25 or more years." Feb 27, 2017

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/2/27/14724674/age-wall-for-offensive-tackles-nfl

Whit was moving past mid 30's when he left the Bengals so no it was not stupid.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 09:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's more than the Penalties for Hart. He allowed A LOT of sacks too:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yes, he did, but like I said before:  His PFF ratings were only a tick behind that of Cordy Glenn, and he was playing next to Boling, not Redmond.  

I do believe SOME of the sacks against the Bengals could be attributed to Dalton always being in one spot.  They rarely rolled him out on waggles or bootlegs, and he was a sitting duck.   I also don't think the Bengal's offense had a well-designed outlet for him.  We will see if that all changes.

On the positive, the Bengals had their greatest YPC in over a decade (I think) and the rushing attack got decent blocking.  
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:28 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: What most of you are not taking into account is that Boling is in his 30's and we have a new coaching staff that most likely wants guys that can be around for years to come to grow with them. If Boling does make the team this year it will be nothing more then a bandaid that will most likely be replaced with a draft pick very soon.

I think Boling's spot will ultimately be won by Michael Jordan (we have to come up with a nickname...feels weird every time I write that).  Glenn is on the back side of a decent career.  We have out LT of the future already, and maybe Hart can develop and own the right side for years to come.  Either way, I like that we have our center and LT already set and perhaps our future LG is already on the roster in MJ (what's his number?).  Hart will get every chance to prove himself on the right side.  If he doesn't make it, a lot of people will be able to shove it in my face, but I have a feeling he will be a very solid player.  
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2019, 10:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Boling's spot will ultimately be won by Michael Jordan (we have to come up with a nickname...feels weird every time I write that).  Glenn is on the back side of a decent career.  We have out LT of the future already, and maybe Hart can develop and own the right side for years to come.  Either way, I like that we have our center and LT already set and perhaps our future LG is already on the roster in MJ (what's his number?).  Hart will get every chance to prove himself on the right side.  If he doesn't make it, a lot of people will be able to shove it in my face, but I have a feeling he will be a very solid player.  
23 ... Shocked Smirk Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2019, 10:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, he did, but like I said before:  His PFF ratings were only a tick behind that of Cordy Glenn, and he was playing next to Boling, not Redmond.  

I do believe SOME of the sacks against the Bengals could be attributed to Dalton always being in one spot.  They rarely rolled him out on waggles or bootlegs, and he was a sitting duck.   I also don't think the Bengal's offense had a well-designed outlet for him.  We will see if that all changes.

On the positive, the Bengals had their greatest YPC in over a decade (I think) and the rushing attack got decent blocking.  

I hear you especially on the Glenn part. He wasn't some great Tackle. He was below average.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 12:18 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: 5 mil is cheap.  If you can seriously say boling is not one of the top 5 olineman on the team you dont watch football.  Our oline is not great as it is ...why would we cut either?  They were clearly the best 2 guys we had last year ...by miles.  Both glenn and boling should be starting if they want the best 5 out there.  If we cut either is extremely stupid.  Why would people be talking salaries when we are 22 mil under cap right now and are projected to have a ton of money available next year barring extensions.  What does cutting clint get us 27 mil under cap? For what?  Our oline gets weaker so we can just be further under cap this year..makes zero sense to cut him.

5 million isn't cheap for a backup...and again...I'm not saying what I want to happen, I'm saying what I think will happen. The coaches are high on Hart. Taylor and Turner have gushed over him. The front office thought enough of him to pay him $7.4 million this season. You look at those things and combine it with the fact that Hart has plenty of NFL experience at RT while Boling has none (and won't be able to practice) and the logical conclusion is that Hart probably has the edge over Boling.

Now if you want to say Boling will take his usual spot at LG, then that puts the pinch on Cordy Glenn. This is why I think one of either Glenn or Boling will get cut.

(05-26-2019, 09:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's more than the Penalties for Hart. He allowed A LOT of sacks too:

I'm definitely no fan of Hart, but it sure seems like people that matter are.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote