Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Border Crossings On Pace For Two-Decade High
(03-23-2021, 10:35 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: You know that is false.  If the gov't would put in place strict immigration laws that gave illegals no incentives to come here and actually enforced those laws the problem for the most part would end; but you know that.

The jobs are the incentive.

The jobs come from American businesses not the government.

But you know that.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 11:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The jobs are the incentive.

But you know that.

The government needs to save us from hiring illegals, doing drugs, eating fried food, drinking big sodas, boinking hookers, buying cool firearms, getting abortions and blah blah blah. 

Americans just have some sort of adult baby fetish for being told what to do for their own good. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 11:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The jobs are the incentive.

But you know that.

They don't just come for the jobs.

But you know that.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 11:36 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: They don't just come for the jobs.

But you know that.

Yes I suppose running away from the violent cartels running the country probably plays a part in their coming here, too.

What's the word for that?
Reply/Quote

But you know that.

For the freedom?

For the America that our politicians sell as the "greatest Country in the world"?

Weird that anyone would want to do that, eh?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
Who the hell had the bright idea to start a country so close to Mexico, anyway?
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 11:47 AM)GMDino Wrote: For the freedom?

For the America that our politicians sell as the "greatest Country in the world"?

Weird that anyone would want to do that, eh?

Well it sure as shit ain't the healthcare.
Reply/Quote

But you know that.

Yes they do come for the jobs.  

Despite what the right-wing echo chamber tells you, illegal immigrants can not receive "welfare".

Plus the numbers prove that most of them are working.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 04:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes they do come for the jobs.  

Despite what the right-wing echo chamber tells you, illegal immigrants can not receive "welfare".

But Trump said they're coming here for "the gravy!"  Would he ever lie?  He's hired enough of them to know how lazy they are, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 04:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes they do come for the jobs.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't receiving government assistance require one to have a social security number?
Reply/Quote
Biden was elected because he was better than Trump at a wide variety of things. Handling the pandemic, foreign affairs with our allies (making it explicitly clear that he is almost as bad as Trump at foreign relations with Middle Eastern countries and he doesn't appeal to dictators like North Korea the way that Trump does), healthcare (not great, but better than Trump), taxes, human decency, general temperament etc.

But he will not fix the border in terms of the backlog and number of people applying. It wasn't one of his platform positions and, as many people like to mention, the cages were built during Obama's presidency (we weren't systematically separating children from families during the Obama years like Trump did, but we were using them for unaccompanied minors, which is probably the biggest black mark on Obama's border policy overall).

He's still an improvement over Trump. The treatment of illegal border crossing immigrants has improved under Biden, as Republican Senator John Cornyn helpfully pointed out.

I think there's definitely a perception among everyone in the world that someone illegally crossing the border will be treated better now than they would have been when Trump was president. That is almost certainly what is creating this increase in activity at the border.

For better or for worse, the Democrat's "brand" has become "we are good people (better than the Republicans, anyway), even if we suck at actually getting our policies passed." So they will treat southern immigrants more "humanely" as they hold them in detention for indeterminate amounts of time.

I'd love it if we could improve in this area, but I don't see that being a possibility as long as we're locked in this two party system where the establishment is emphasized by both parties at all times with no hope or expectation for progressive change. The truth is, America created many of the crises that have resulted in the instability that these immigrants are fleeing from, so the idea that we destabilized these countries and then are holding their fleeing refugees in detention camps (even if they are "more humane" detention camps) is despicable to me.
Reply/Quote