Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bourbon
Anyone tried anything from Heaven’s Door? It’s a collaborative that Bob is involved with and will apparently can ship into VA, but I don’t know anything about the product...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 06:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: ..

I’ve heard this is really good
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 06:38 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Anyone tried anything from Heaven’s Door? It’s a collaborative that Bob is involved with and will apparently can ship into VA, but I don’t know anything about the product...

I bought my dad a bottle of the Tennessee one (there’s 3 different varieties) for Xmas a couple years ago, and he said he liked it a lot. Haven’t tried it personally.

Reply/Quote
Picked up a bottle of that Maker’s Mark cask strength 20-02 and a bottle of Calumet Farms 14 year today.
Reply/Quote
Sipping on Four Roses Single Barrel right now. Really good!
Reply/Quote
I’ve never had bourbon. Is it good?

My taste in “adult beverages” is very narrow; I like dry red wine like Cabernet and dark beer, mostly stouts and porters.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 09:53 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ve never had bourbon. Is it good?

My taste in “adult beverages” is very narrow; I like dry red wine like Cabernet and dark beer, mostly stouts and porters.

You’ve lived this close to Kentucky your whole life and never tried bourbon?? :O

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 09:53 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ve never had bourbon.  Is it good?

Bourbon is nectar from the Gods. 

I like red wine and bourbon reminds me of the wine experience, just a very different flavor profile. You can pick up many different notes in bourbon just like red wine. Red wine has a dry, bitter, fruity, oaky profile. Bourbon has an oaky, sweet, carmely, sometimes fruity, nutty, spicy, vanilly profile and an oily mouthfeel - which I very much enjoy. 

Plus you can drink a glass, savor it, and be feeling pretty good after only a couple sips. A definite advantage. 

If you want to get into it and try it I recommend a bottle of four roses small batch or single barrel or a bottle of plain old buffalo trace. A good/affordable starting point. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 09:53 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ve never had bourbon.  Is it good?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
So, today my team at work gifted me a bottle of Eagle Rare for my birthday. Then after work I stopped in my local Kroger (looking for a bottle of Elijah Craig Toasted Oak) and there was a bottle of Eagle Rare on the shelf for $30. Long story short, I got 2 bottles of Eagle Rare today.
Reply/Quote
Over the past couple days I picked up a bottle of W.B. Saffell, a Woodford Reserve 4 Grain from the Distillery Series, and another bottle of Henry McKeena 10 year. My mom also dropped off the bottles of Weller SR and Antique 107 that she got for me at her local store in Ohio.

In “non-bourbon items” for my birthday my wife and kids got me a bourbon display piece in the shape of Kentucky that’s made from reclaimed barrel staves. It has five individual shelves for five bottles. The guy who makes them produces a lot of different, interesting pieces. Reclaimed Patriot on Etsy and Facebook if you want to check out his work.  And my parents got me a watch from a company called Original Grain that has a face made from reclaimed barrels.
Reply/Quote
So VA had a sale today with 20% off select bourbons. I had it on my calendar to pick up an Elijah Craig Small Batch as it was one of the 5 that were on sale. Alas, I was in the store last week and saw it on sale for $5 off and bought a bottle, completely forgetting about today's sale. When I saw the calendar reminder today, I cursed myself, then went about my day. Well, I got home tonight and my better half told me to close my eyes because I was getting my birthday present early (it's after the weekend). I opened them up and had one of each of the other bottles from the sale sitting in front of me. She went at lunch time and got me 1 each of Heaven's Door Tennessee Bourbon (their name, not mine), Basil Hayden, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, and Blade And Bow! Happy Birthday to me!!!!
Reply/Quote
Decided to hit up the two stores in my town that sell alcohol. Picked up an Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel and an EH Taylor Small Batch (which will probably end up going to my brother in law since I already have a bottle). Not bad for a five mile, twenty minute round trip, I guess.
Reply/Quote
Birthday gifts from friends over the weekend included a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve Very Old Small Batch and Jefferson's Ocean Aged At Sea Cask Strength. My buddy and I had a field day Saturday night enjoying all of the new goods, drinking the equivalent to a fifth apiece.
Reply/Quote
Picked up a bottle of Old Ezra 7 year today.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2020, 03:12 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Decided to hit up the two stores in my town that sell alcohol. Picked up an Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel and an EH Taylor Small Batch (which will probably end up going to my brother in law since I already have a bottle). Not bad for a five mile, twenty minute round trip, I guess.

That is one I would like to try, but it won't be anytime soon.  After this past weekend's haul I am sitting at 21 bottles of Bourbon (not counting other whiskeys).  I can't get anything else until I run down this supply...
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 07:33 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: That is one I would like to try, but it won't be anytime soon.  After this past weekend's haul I am sitting at 21 bottles of Bourbon (not counting other whiskeys).  I can't get anything else until I run down this supply...

Yeah, the guy at the store said they had just come in and he only got two. I put on a local bourbon Facebook group there was one bottle left and someone posted 10 minutes later that they got it.

I counted earlier and I’m up to 52 bottles, not counting “back up bottles”. I keep saying I shouldn’t buy as much, but stuff just keeps showing up. Can’t help myself. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 11:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’ve lived this close to Kentucky your whole life and never tried bourbon?? :O

For the record I also lived in Texas and Arizona along the border but never tried tequila either.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 08:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: For the record I also lived in Texas and Arizona along the border but never tried tequila either.

You’re not missing much there.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 08:08 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Yeah, the guy at the store said they had just come in and he only got two. I put on a local bourbon Facebook group there was one bottle left and someone posted 10 minutes later that they got it.

I counted earlier and I’m up to 52 bottles, not counting “back up bottles”. I keep saying I shouldn’t buy as much, but stuff just keeps showing up. Can’t help myself. 

My problem is space...
Reply/Quote