Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boyd seeking 10M a year, wants to stay
(05-24-2019, 10:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: $10.25 mil per year would make him about the 20th highest paid WR in the league.  That seems a little high, but young guys get richer deals.

I am really concerned about AJ injury issues.  I would be tempted to pay Boyd this year and possibly let Green leave in free agency next year.

I'd assume if Ross shows that he can find his arse with both hands this season that he and Boyd will be the top 2 WRs moving forward, whether that is a good idea or not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It would be smart to get him signed before the season starts. At $10M he would not be overpaid. If he's left to become a free agent at the end of the season and continues his level of play, he'll leave for elsewhere for even more money and we'll be back to scraping the list of cut players for our next #2 WR.

The team opted to not draft a WR, a mistake in my opinion. Maybe one of the younger WRs will step up and become a starting quality player, but we've yet to see that from any of them.

Reply/Quote
I believe he will be signed before the end of TC.
Reply/Quote
The "per year" number is just something player, management, and agents can flaunt to the public. The real number is the guaranteed.

Sure give TB 4 years at $40 Mil and guarantee about 1 year of it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 10:45 AM)BengalChris Wrote: The team opted to not draft a WR, a mistake in my opinion.

I was also surprised they did not draft a WR.

I had high hopes for Malone, but he did not step up last year even when we were paper thin at WR.  He is a good athlete with good ball skills.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 10:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: $10.25 mil per year would make him about the 20th highest paid WR in the league.  That seems a little high, but young guys get richer deals.

I am really concerned about AJ injury issues.  I would be tempted to pay Boyd this year and possibly let Green leave in free agency next year.

I too would prioritize Boyd over AJ for the reason that Boyd is younger and hasn't had the injuries like AJ has.
With that said, I wouldn't rule out a WR drafted early (even 1st round) next year if AJ leaves in FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 10:45 AM)BengalChris Wrote: It would be smart to get him signed before the season starts. At $10M he would not be overpaid. If he's left to become a free agent at the end of the season and continues his level of play, he'll leave for elsewhere for even more money and we'll be back to scraping the list of cut players for our next #2 WR.

The team opted to not draft a WR, a mistake in my opinion. Maybe one of the younger WRs will step up and become a starting quality player, but we've yet to see that from any of them.

I'm fully expecting a WR to be drafted high next year if the Bengals lose Boyd or AJ. I don't think they will lose both, but if they did, that'd be a HUGE hole. I'd be OK with them drafting a WR or OT in Rd 1 next year if a QB with true franchise-caliber potential isn't available.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 10:45 AM)BengalChris Wrote: It would be smart to get him signed before the season starts. At $10M he would not be overpaid. If he's left to become a free agent at the end of the season and continues his level of play, he'll leave for elsewhere for even more money and we'll be back to scraping the list of cut players for our next #2 WR.

we drafted Sample in round 2 who can catch.

Gio and Mixon can catch
Eifert is back

Ross Green Boyd Erickson
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:33 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I would say Boyd is not worth $10 million per year. He is just at best an average receiver. I would offer him a 4 year deal worth $25 million. That is being generous.

This is a bad take.

Pay the man.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 11:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is a bad take.

Pay the man.

The funny thing is some fans seem to only want the Bengals to sign guys to value deals...even our own players.

We don't participate heavily in external free agency. If we start being stingy with our own guys...where are we getting players for our roster from?
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 11:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I was also surprised they did not draft a WR.

I had high hopes for Malone, but he did not step up last year even when we were paper thin at WR.  He is a good athlete with good ball skills.

We've drafted a lot of WRs lately and many relatively high. I didn't see it as a need. I also think the UDFA out of Nebraska can give us anything a late rounder would.

Plus we have Auden "Megatron" Tate
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'd give him a 4 year 41 million dollar deal in a heart beat. That's a great deal.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 11:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We've drafted a lot of WRs lately and many relatively high. I didn't see it as a need. I also think the UDFA out of Nebraska can give us anything a late rounder would.

Yes, but can Auden "Megatron" Tate be the next Armon "Larry Fitzgerald" Binns? 
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 11:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We've drafted a lot of WRs lately and many relatively high. I didn't see it as a need. I also think the UDFA out of Nebraska can give us anything a late rounder would.

Our WR's from #3+ were pretty bad last year.

Now, the wildcards are IF we get production out of Ross.

And) AJ Green's health. He's kind of dinged up a decent bit and he is near 31 years old.

I would have preferred a WR in the 2nd Round.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 12:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our WR's from #3+ were pretty bad last year.

Now, the wildcards are IF we get production out of Ross.

And) AJ Green's health. He's kind of dinged up a decent bit and he is near 31 years old.

I would have preferred a WR in the 2nd Round.

I thought Malone would have had much more playing time last year. He was raw coming in though, so there was risk of him not developing.
I thought Ross also would have produced more but he did a good job in the TD area, which was a strength of his coming in. I'm trying to be optimistic when the new coaches say they plan to unleash him, as I felt he was improperly utilized the past two years.
I like Morgan's skill set to replace one of Core, Malone, and/or Tate from the roster, although I think Tate deserves more playing time too. I'd look to bulk him up 15 lbs and make him a move TE like the Giants have done with Engram. Difference with Engram though is he ran 4.42 at 234 lbs whereas Tate ran 4.68 at 228 lbs. Engram is much faster.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:27 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Tyler won’t hold out, looking in the range of Shepard’s 4 year, 41M extension. Thoughts?

Do it, Boyd shown he is special last season and can definately be the #2 Receiver here.

As much as i support Ross on here he has not shown this yet.
Reply/Quote

Give Boyd a 5 year deal, Green a 2 year deal.
By the time Boyd's in his 3rd year, he will be a bargain if he continues to play at the same level and some stupid teams are always jacking the price up per position. So to me, $10-11/year is a current fair market value.

The money won't be an issue for him or Green to keep both.

Dennard, Brown Eifert, Glen (even Hart if needed) will give us plenty of money. even if we do sign McCoy, the moneys still there.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 01:29 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Give Boyd a 5 year deal, Green a 2 year deal.
By the time Boyd's in his 3rd year, he will be a bargain if he continues to play at the same level and some stupid teams are always jacking the price up per position. So to me, $10-11/year is a current fair market value.

The money won't be an issue for him or Green to keep both.

Dennard, Brown Eifert, Glen (even Hart if needed) will give us plenty of money. even if we do sign McCoy, the moneys still there.

Yeah, i like it Mike.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 12:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I thought Malone would have had much more playing time last year. He was raw coming in though, so there was risk of him not developing.
I thought Ross also would have produced more but he did a good job in the TD area, which was a strength of his coming in. I'm trying to be optimistic when the new coaches say they plan to unleash him, as I felt he was improperly utilized the past two years.
I like Morgan's skill set to replace one of Core, Malone, and/or Tate from the roster, although I think Tate deserves more playing time too. I'd look to bulk him up 15 lbs and make him a move TE like the Giants have done with Engram. Difference with Engram though is he ran 4.42 at 234 lbs whereas Tate ran 4.68 at 228 lbs. Engram is much faster.

As much love as tate gets around here when in critical situations he failed last year... I get hes big but he gotta make the catches when they come his way.

he show'd nothing to warrant more playing time
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 01:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: As much love as tate gets around here when in critical situations he failed last year... I get hes big but he gotta make the catches when they come his way.

he show'd nothing to warrant more playing time

Tate had one drop last year. ONE. Yes, he had 12 targets with only 4 catches, but only one of those 8 not caught was actually deemed a drop.
https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/auden-tate/

You're gonna crucify Tate for dropping one pass?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote