Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boyd seeking 10M a year, wants to stay
After following this thread through it's first few pages, it seems that the overwhelming majority of us believe that Tyler Boyd is most certainly worth the money he's asking for, save for a scant few posters. Now, my real question is that since we all see him as being that valuable to the team; Do you feel like the management feels the same way, and will get the deal done?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 11:40 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: we drafted Sample in round 2 who can catch.

Gio and Mixon can catch
Eifert is back

Ross Green Boyd Erickson

(05-24-2019, 11:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We've drafted a lot of WRs lately and many relatively high. I didn't see it as a need. I also think the UDFA out of Nebraska can give us anything a late rounder would.

Plus we have Auden "Megatron" Tate

Yeah, but none of the young WRs have done much of anything on the field except for Boyd. Even when AJ and Boyd were both injured, none of the WRs stepped up to fill the void. Uzomah was our 3rd string TE going into last season and he ended up out playing all of our recently drafted WRs.

Bengals top 5 receivers (yards) in 2018
Boyd 1,028
Green 694
Uzomah 439
Mixon 296
Bernard 218

Bengals top 5 receivers (yards) in 2017
Green 1,078
LaFell 548
Kroft 404
Bernard 389
Mixon 207

Maybe one of those young WRs will step up and become a starting quality WR or maybe they'll just continue on as they have so far.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: These numbers don't sound right, but according to Profootballreference.com on third and 5 or longer Boyd was targeted 17 times, made 16 catches, and converted 15 first downs.

On fourth down he was targeted 3 times, made 3 catches, and converted all three for first downs.

Confirmed clutch.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:50 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Boyd is one of our top 10 players and is in the top 24-30 of WRs in league

Needs to be signed for going rate.

Don't make the Marvin Jones mistake twice.

This. When you find a solid player, keep them!
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 08:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: After following this thread through it's first few pages, it seems that the overwhelming majority of us believe that Tyler Boyd is most certainly worth the money he's asking for, save for a scant few posters.  Now, my real question is that since we all see him as being that valuable to the team;  Do you feel like the management feels the same way, and will get the deal done?

In this case, yes I do. I believe management values re-signing their own players that they put the effort into developing. I think Boyd ends up in the same boat UNLESS he thinks he can be a #1 guy somewhere else.

And to be quite honest I think the amount of players in the league who voluntarily WANT to play here is pretty low at the moment, so his wanting to stay holds some value with me as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 10:09 PM)NKURyan Wrote: In this case, yes I do. I believe management values re-signing their own players that they put the effort into developing. I think Boyd ends up in the same boat UNLESS he thinks he can be a #1 guy somewhere else.

And to be quite honest I think the amount of players in the league who voluntarily WANT to play here is pretty low at the moment, so his wanting to stay holds some value with me as well.

I tend to agree with your thoughts.  I will add that AJ Green set a pretty good example by stating early in his time here, that he would like to play his entire career with the team that drafted him.  AJ might not be the most outspoken in the media, but his influence on his teammates goes far beyond the example of courage and dedication to his craft that he demonstrates on the field.  With Boyd stating that he would like to remain a Bengal, I have to think that AJ Green has been a good mentor to him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:38 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: This. When you find a solid player, keep them!

oh my! And HE WANTS TO STAY as a BENGAL!!!! Sign him nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!
Reply/Quote
What is his FA status? Is it an option to put a 2nd round tender on him we could match or receive a 2nd round pick?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Boyd showed last year that he can be the X. But I would assume that Taylor would like to see him in his system before extending him.

Marvin Jones knew he had not shot at X, when AJ is still here. So leaving was the only option. I think Boyd feels that AJ won't play but another 2-3 years, so it makes sense that he wants to stay.

Interestingly, AJ was put in slot on occasions last year, and delivered really well crossing the formation.

So the versatility that both offer is intriguing.

If Ross can put his head and body together, this offense can be lethal.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 11:05 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Boyd showed last year that he can be the X. But I would assume that Taylor would like to see him in his system before extending him.

Marvin Jones knew he had not shot at X, when AJ is still here. So leaving was the only option. I think Boyd feels that AJ won't play but another 2-3 years, so it makes sense that he wants to stay.

Interestingly, AJ was put in slot on occasions last year, and delivered really well crossing the formation.

Well...if they try to sign him after the year, they risk him testing the free agent waters and driving his pricetag up.

The Steelers will need a WR and he's from there.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 10:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What is his FA status? Is it an option to put a 2nd round tender on him we could match or receive a 2nd round pick?

Huh? Hes gonna be unrestricted after this year.  We cant put any tender on him.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:27 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Tyler won’t hold out, looking in the range of Shepard’s 4 year, 41M extension. Thoughts?

Pay that man his monies 
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
Boyd has become one of if not my favorite player.

This should be an easy decision to pay him
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:27 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Tyler won’t hold out, looking in the range of Shepard’s 4 year, 41M extension. Thoughts?

Oddly, Sterling Shepard was the guy I wanted in that draft.  I have been pleasantly surprised with Boyd.  One thing I wish they would have been able to evaluate more last year was if he could get open playing outside.  It seemed like a lot of success for both Green and Boyd came out of the slot.  

I think he is worth it, and I would rather not go forward with more question marks at WR.  
Reply/Quote
Seems most posters have joined the Boyd bandwagon. I'm not saying he isn't a decent player. He had a good year last year. That is without Green and Eifert to target most of the season. I just don't know if he is going to improve this year. I hate long term expensive contracts because injury or poor play could happen and the team gets stuck. Thus, the cap money is not available for another player. I look past the hype and try to evaluate contracts based on what can you do for me in the future. If the Bengals pay Boyd $10 million per year and he does perform I'll admit I was wrong. If not, I doubt any of the posters here will admit it.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 12:43 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: Boyd has become one of if not my favorite player.

This should be an easy decision to pay him

You know, he was clearly one of a small handful of players who seemed to give a crap towards the end of the season (him and Mixon are the two that come to mind). He's definitely the kind of guy I 3want on my team.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 11:35 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Seems most posters have joined the Boyd bandwagon. I'm not saying he isn't a decent player. He had a good year last year. That is without Green and Eifert to target most of the season. I just don't know if he is going to improve this year. I hate long term expensive contracts because injury or poor play could happen and the team gets stuck. Thus, the cap money is not available for another player. I look past the hype and try to evaluate contracts based on what can you do for me in the future. If the Bengals pay Boyd $10 million per year and he does perform I'll admit I was wrong. If not, I doubt any of the posters here will admit it.

I bet he doesn't get *quite* $10 million/year. We're all fine with it even if they do, but if that's the number that his camp is throwing out you know any team is going to go lower and they'll end up meeting somewhere in the middle.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 11:05 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Boyd showed last year that he can be the X. But I would assume that Taylor would like to see him in his system before extending him.

Taylor will be seeing Boyd in his system before the season starts, i think we extend him right before the season.

I like seeing AJ in the Slot, he can engulf the middle of the field and break tackles.

I believe Ross will come around under Taylor and finally be that player i thought he would be. A faster more classy Antonio Brown.

(05-25-2019, 11:35 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Seems most posters have joined the Boyd bandwagon. I'm not saying he isn't a decent player. He had a good year last year. That is without Green and Eifert to target most of the season. I just don't know if he is going to improve this year. I hate long term expensive contracts because injury or poor play could happen and the team gets stuck. Thus, the cap money is not available for another player. I look past the hype and try to evaluate contracts based on what can you do for me in the future. If the Bengals pay Boyd $10 million per year and he does perform I'll admit I was wrong. If not, I doubt any of the posters here will admit it.

Man, i take this gamble everytime on a player that has heart and plays clutch in the biggest situations.

(05-25-2019, 01:58 PM)NKURyan Wrote: You know, he was clearly one of a small handful of players who seemed to give a crap towards the end of the season (him and Mixon are the two that come to mind). He's definitely the kind of guy I 3want on my team.

Yes, Boyd and Mixon were the two that played with mad heart last season when the season was in the toilet.

Atleast on the Offense, on the Defense i would argue it was our Safeties. Bates and our underrated Shawn Williams.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 07:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Oddly, Sterling Shepard was the guy I wanted in that draft.  I have been pleasantly surprised with Boyd.  One thing I wish they would have been able to evaluate more last year was if he could get open playing outside.  It seemed like a lot of success for both Green and Boyd came out of the slot.  

I think he is worth it, and I would rather not go forward with more question marks at WR.  

I've always liked Boyd since college at Pitt. I think he's a must sign.

Now, I don't think he's a #1 here when AJ leaves. But $10 million is #2 WR money.
Reply/Quote
I don't think anyone is worth the going rate, however it's the going rate so I guess they're worth the going rate.. On the other hand...I don't think I could be talked into watching a company CEO for an hour on TV either..  If Boyd can be at least as good as the going rate he deserves the going rate.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote