Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What can Bengals do now to make fans happy about 2019 offseason?
(03-23-2019, 05:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are you sure that you know what you're talking about?  The 46 defense wasn't even named after the alignment of the LBs and DBs, it was named after Bears Safety Doug Plank, who wore number 46.  Plank was such a hard hitter that they moved him up with the LBs, just 5 yds. off the ball.  The Bears ran that defense with 4-3 personnel in the game.

Never sure. Especially if i make the mistake of posting after working all night after being up all day. Similar to posting drunk, probably.
Been showing my butt all week in the real world, why would this be any different?
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I never liked the 4-6 anyways. I felt like only having 10 players on the field was a disadvantage.  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 06:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: Real proof the team has changed would see them actually trade up instead of down to be sure there get the players they want. Also if we see a concentration on LB and OL and no distractions not of need.

We traded up to draft Bodine.

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 10:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Spoiler Alert: Every teams fans think their team had a good draft unless they select like a punter in the 1st Round or a guy projected to be a 3rd Round pick.

Spoiler alert.

There are some Bengal fans who complain no matter who we draft.

"It has to be a bad pick because the Bengals have not won a playoff game in 27 years.  Therefore everything they do is wrong."

Sound familiar?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 11:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Spoiler alert.

There are some Bengal fans who complain no matter who we draft.

"It has to be a bad pick because the Bengals have not won a playoff game in 27 years.  Therefore everything they do is wrong."

Sound familiar?

True Fred

But, we seemed to have had some issues with a few drafts. The worst was drafting an injured 1st round OT and another OT in round 2. It was a great plan to replace Whitt who many thought was at the end of a great career. But as we know, the picks and that draft hurt us as can't miss badly in early rounds of drafts.

As a result team then signed Glenn so they did try and clean up the mistake albeit a year too late probably.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 04:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: True Fred

But, we seemed to have had some issues with a few drafts. The worst was drafting an injured 1st round OT and another OT in round 2. It was a great plan to replace Whitt who many thought was at the end of a great career. But as we know, the picks and tat draft hurt us as can't miss badly in early rounds of drafts.

As a result team then signed Glenn so they did try and clean up the mistake albeit a year too late probably.

Ross had a ton of question marks too and was drafted high basically off of a fast combine. If he didn't do that in the combine, he's likely a 2nd Round pick.
Reply/Quote
[Image: hHrPcWT.gif]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 11:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ross had a ton of question marks too and was drafted high basically off of a fast combine. If he didn't do that in the combine, he's likely a 2nd Round pick.

I know many have given up on Ross, I have not yet. I am hoping he progresses and becomes a second #2 WR for us. If he can become a Boyd like threat, all is not lost.

But, this is his make or break year in my opinion.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 11:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We traded up to draft Bodine.

Rolleyes

...which was the first time we'd traded up since Ki-Jana in 1995.

So we've traded up in the draft one time since 1995, and you don't think trading up would signify change?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 09:08 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...which was the first time we'd traded up since Ki-Jana in 1995.

So we've traded up in the draft one time since 1995, and you don't think trading up would signify change?

Let's face it, the Bengals FO led by MB, Katie and Tobin are not out of the box thinkers. Most they do is traditional whether it be structuring contracts (good thing), signing free agents (primarily build through draft) or trades of any nature.

I see zero creative thinking, they play it safe. If they could point to their methods working (for us and not other teams) consistently fans would trust their decisions and way of doing business. But their track record sucks, thus the opinion of them by most fans is they suck.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 11:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ross had a ton of question marks too and was drafted high basically off of a fast combine. If he didn't do that in the combine, he's likely a 2nd Round pick.

I think Ross's production his senior year also had a little to do with his selection in the 1st rd....
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 10:13 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know many have given up on Ross, I have not yet. I am hoping he progresses and becomes a second #2 WR for us. If he can become a Boyd like threat, all is not lost.

But, this is his make or break year in my opinion.

I still think there's some chance he develops into that...however, I'd like to see us add another guy in that #3 role too.

Plus, WR's tend to get injured a lot too.
Reply/Quote
As far as fans coming back they need a reason outside of new coaches. This offense looks the same as last year except a right guard and they need to stay healthy and have success or will just look like the same old Bengals. We had a lot of injuries on defense last year and I doubt they are the NFL's all time worst defense again, but even upgrading to the middle of the pack won't do much to spur fans interest. Seeing Dre chase WR's into the end zone won't look any different with a new coach. So unless the additions and schemes totally flip this team, I don't see some massive public perception changing.

The thing they need to do is win. And win a lot. Outside of that the stadium will remain barren.

Had they gotten a name coach and new QB and internal changes then maybe? But this appears to be the same old cheap Bengals.
Reply/Quote
simply stay healthy no IRs on the offseason
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 09:08 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...which was the first time we'd traded up since Ki-Jana in 1995.

I think trading up would be bad at least in round 1 this year...  We need players  and we don't need to give up round 2-4 picks to move up or next years round 1-3 etc...    If anything move back a few spots if who we want is already gone and grab another day 2 pick with our later round 1.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 09:33 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Let's face it, the Bengals FO led by MB, Katie and Tobin are not out of the box thinkers. Most they do is traditional whether it be structuring contracts (good thing), signing free agents (primarily build through draft) or trades of any nature.

I see zero creative thinking, they play it safe. If they could point to their methods working (for us and not other teams) consistently fans would trust their decisions and way of doing business. But their track record sucks, thus the opinion of them by most fans is they suck.

Wow. I saw your name and thought you'd attack me for what I said. You're totally 100% spot on though. Call it old fashioned, call it lazy, I just know it's BORING. Even bad teams like the Browns (etc) have made changes and occasionally gone after some guys in free agency. It gives fans something to talk about and hope for, at the very least.

And even if they're failing, at least it looks like they're trying. Being proactive and all that. We've failed AND been very boring in the process.

(03-27-2019, 01:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I think trading up would be bad at least in round 1 this year...  We need players  and we don't need to give up round 2-4 picks to move up or next years round 1-3 etc...    If anything move back a few spots if who we want is already gone and grab another day 2 pick with our later round 1.

Actually, I agree with ya about round one. I'd only trade up there if there was a can't miss QB, and I'm not really impressed with this QB class. Honestly, it's not even about team needs for me (with the trading up). I'm just looking for some signs that this FO is willing to change their old methods. They were/are as much to blame for our failures as Marvin Lewis. Probably more so.

So just ditching Merv and keeping up the same old ways ain't gonna cut it. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2019, 12:51 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wow. I saw your name and thought you'd attack me for what I said. You're totally 100% spot on though. Call it old fashioned, call it lazy, I just know it's BORING. Even bad teams like the Browns (etc) have made changes and occasionally gone after some guys in free agency. It gives fans something to talk about and hope for, at the very least.

And even if they're failing, at least it looks like they're trying. Being proactive and all that. We've failed AND been very boring in the process.

Actually, I agree with ya about round one. I'd only trade up there if there was a can't miss QB, and I'm not really impressed with this QB class. Honestly, it's not even about team needs for me (with the trading up). I'm just looking for some signs that this FO is willing to change their old methods. They were/are as much to blame for our failures as Marvin Lewis. Probably more so.

So just ditching Merv and keeping up the same old ways ain't gonna cut it. 

Yes, i mean i am excited about Taylor and his new coaching staff and i liked us cleaning house but the Free Agency was worse than last year with Marv around honestly. This doesn't bode well for Taylor or us cause we needed to add more than just Preston Brown and Miller. Preston was here last year so that is not necessarily an upgrade.

Should of gotten atleast one more solid Linebacker in FA. Going to have to see a great draft and even a trade for me to think things are different with this Front Office where Troy Blackburn just acted like an ass hat yesterday and said some really stupid shit.

As you say Shake, the same old same old isn't gonna cut it, let alone insulting the fans intelligence like this Troy guy just did.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 09:33 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Let's face it, the Bengals FO led by MB, Katie and Tobin are not out of the box thinkers. Most they do is traditional whether it be structuring contracts (good thing), signing free agents (primarily build through draft) or trades of any nature.

There's a thing called groupthink too where people are around each other so much that they start to all have similar opinions. After this long I'm sure that's happening.

So what do they do? They put Zac Taylor in a room with the 4 of them.

He'll be brainwashed.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2019, 03:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's a thing called groupthink too where people are around each other so much that they start to all have similar opinions. After this long I'm sure that's happening.

So what do they do? They put Zac Taylor in a room with the 4 of them.

He'll be brainwashed.

Hope he is not easily brainwashed cause this is a great point.

Sure don't want Taylor taking on those people's mind sets, i like Duke more than most though.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2019, 12:51 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wow. I saw your name and thought you'd attack me for what I said. You're totally 100% spot on though. Call it old fashioned, call it lazy, I just know it's BORING. Even bad teams like the Browns (etc) have made changes and occasionally gone after some guys in free agency. It gives fans something to talk about and hope for, at the very least.

Actually, I agree with ya about round one. I'd only trade up there if there was a can't miss QB, and I'm not really impressed with this QB class.

Why would I attack one of my favorite posters?

You nailed it, fans just want to see more aggression. Yes. some will not work out, but fans would appreciate the effort.

Reply/Quote