Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What can Bengals do now to make fans happy about 2019 offseason?
(03-23-2019, 11:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Oh they moved the needle...they picked it up and set it down at exactly the same spot by keeping Brown. Releasing Burfict was a step in the right direction. But, they have to replace him.

If releasing Burfict was a step in the right direction, then they didnt set the needle down in exactly the same spot, did they?

You must find pessimism so appealing that you self pleasure to it.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 10:16 AM)Beaker Wrote: If releasing Burfict was a step in the right direction, then they didnt set the needle down in exactly the same spot, did they?

You must find pessimism so appealing that you self pleasure to it.

Have they replaced him with a better starter yet? No. 

Releasing a player in isolation doesn't improve a team unless they actually get a better starter. As of yet, they haven't.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 10:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Have they replaced him with a better starter yet? No. 

Releasing a player in isolation doesn't improve a team unless they actually get a better starter. As of yet, they haven't.

Yet youre the one who said it was a step in the right direction, thus invalidating your claim that the needle was in the same place. At least try to be logical with your pessimism.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 10:28 AM)Beaker Wrote: Yet youre the one who said it was a step in the right direction, thus invalidating your claim that the needle was in the same place. At least try to be logical with your pessimism.

It is a step in the right direction in that they recognized poor performance and removed him from the roster. But, they haven't replaced him yet with a better starter. If they just plug Evans or Nickerson in as starter, we're worse.

The homers on this board struggle and strain so hard to find positives that they spin replacing Hart with Hart for 6X as much money as a positive. And waiving Burfict without finding a replacement as a positive.

We basically brought back the same LB group as last year minus Burfict and Rey. At some point, we need to upgrade the personnel.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 10:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It is a step in the right direction in that they recognized poor performance and removed him from the roster. But, they haven't replaced him yet with a better starter. If they just plug Evans or Nickerson in as starter, we're worse.

The homers on this board struggle and strain so hard to find positives that they spin replacing Hart with Hart for 6X as much money as a positive. And waiving Burfict without finding a replacement as a positive.

And the haters here drool over the Browns for replacing one of the best OGs in the league with a guy who played 14 snaps as a rookie last year.

It is all about perspective.  Some people just love to wallow to cry and play the victim.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 10:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And the haters here drool over the Browns for replacing one of the best OGs in the league with a guy who played 14 snaps as a rookie last year.

It is all about perspective.  Some people just love to wallow to cry and play the victim.

The Browns will definitely have to address their O line and safety positions, as both need improvement. Losing Zeitler is big, and the tackle position was downgraded after Thomas hung ‘em up. That said, you can’t argue that they look pretty good everywhere else.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 10:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It is a step in the right direction in that they recognized poor performance and removed him from the roster. But, they haven't replaced him yet with a better starter.

We basically brought back the same LB group as last year minus Burfict and Rey. At some point, we need to upgrade the personnel.

Judging by their actions, it seems like they are serious about relying on the draft to restock the LB position.  My concern is that by not at least signing any new LBs to the team in free agency, that they may have shown too much of their hand to the rest of the teams for the draft.  Do you think that other teams might deliberately take a player, just because they know another team has a distinct NEED for that player or position?  Or, do you think that teams just do what they're going to do, regardless of how if affects other teams?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 11:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Judging by their actions, it seems like they are serious about relying on the draft to restock the LB position.  My concern is that by not at least signing any new LBs to the team in free agency, that they may have shown too much of their hand to the rest of the teams for the draft.  Do you think that other teams might deliberately take a player, just because they know another team has a distinct NEED for that player or position?  Or, do you think that teams just do what they're going to do, regardless of how if affects other teams?

Teams drafting behind us looking for LB talent know they have to leapfrog the Bengals to land White. For a team like the Packers, it should be easy to hop 2-3 spots. If this happens, my guess is the Bengals end up drafting Jawaan Taylor or Devin Bush.
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 11:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Judging by their actions, it seems like they are serious about relying on the draft to restock the LB position.  My concern is that by not at least signing any new LBs to the team in free agency, that they may have shown too much of their hand to the rest of the teams for the draft.  Do you think that other teams might deliberately take a player, just because they know another team has a distinct NEED for that player or position?  Or, do you think that teams just do what they're going to do, regardless of how if affects other teams?

A lot of us seemed to think they took WJ3 to spite the Steelers.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 12:04 PM)jason Wrote: A lot of us seemed to think they took WJ3 to spite the Steelers.

Yes, I'm one of those people, and this is the kind of thing I was alluding to.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 12:00 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Teams drafting behind us looking for LB talent know they have to leapfrog the Bengals to land White.  For a team like the Packers, it should be easy to hop 2-3 spots.  If this happens, my guess is the Bengals end up drafting Jawaan Taylor or Devin Bush.

I think that it's pretty dicey that White is on the board at #11.  I would be completely satisfied with Jawaan Taylor in the 1st.  I think that Devin Bush is fool's Gold, I also think that Mack Wilson is a much better value in the 2nd round, if he's there.  Wilson is a true, 3 down LB, and arguably the best coverage LB of all the top prospects.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 11:08 AM)sandwedge Wrote:  I look for a strong D push in 

That's what she said.

Sorry Sad

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

I think probably a little of both, but a team that wants White could move in front of us to get him.

That said, I'm not 100% convinced that the Bengals will take White if he's there. I think there's atleast some chance they go QB or WR or LB or O-Line.

IF Hart was really signed to be a 1 year starter, they may still take an OT.

That's the bad thing about signing guys like Hart. They don't really solve a need. They just take up cap space and force you to have to still address it later.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 10:48 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The Browns will definitely have to address their O line and safety positions, as both need improvement. Losing Zeitler is big, and the tackle position was downgraded after Thomas hung ‘em up. That said, you can’t argue that they look pretty good everywhere else.

Their OL was one of the best in the league the 2nd half of the season. And they obviously feel pretty good about Austin Corbett (who they drafted early) to have parted with Zeitler.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 02:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Their OL was one of the best in the league the 2nd half of the season. And they obviously feel pretty good about Austin Corbett (who they drafted early) to have parted with Zeitler.

Corbett seems like a quality replacement. Pretty athletic for an interior o lineman.
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 02:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Their OL was one of the best in the league the 2nd half of the season. And they obviously feel pretty good about Austin Corbett (who they drafted early) to have parted with Zeitler.

They had the cap space to keep Zeitler, but IF Corbett pans out, they save what $10 million and can invest that money into other parts of the team.

Definitely some risk to the move, but there is high reward too.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 09:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We basically do the minimum that most other teams in the league do...and many go well beyond us.

It's funny the importance we as fans put on the draft...when in reality EVERY TEAM drafts and we have a smaller scouting staff than the other teams. The odds that we'll consistently hit HR's on the draft every year or even 2-3 years in a row are fairly small.

I was happy with our moves. Harts contract wasnt as bad as some people say. Hes not even getting paid that much and we could easily draft a round 1 OL to replace him. We just couldn't let him go into FA otherwise we would have had to draft someone else in the first round who could be worse than Hart. His contract wasnt 3 years 21 mil. I believe his cap hit is close to 5 mil what isnt bad for this day and age. Brown wasnt a bad signing either. Hes a solid LB that has been healthy most of his career. He just was hurt last year unfortunately. I think he will play better next year. Its foolish to expect the Bengals to go after big name FA.
Reply/Quote
Real proof the team has changed would see them actually trade up instead of down to be sure there get the players they want. Also if we see a concentration on LB and OL and no distractions not of need.
Reply/Quote
So far things have been "ok", glad they dropped Burfict, confused about Hart. I'm going to wait until the draft happens before I start either being excited or pissing and moaning.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
Spoiler Alert: Every teams fans think their team had a good draft unless they select like a punter in the 1st Round or a guy projected to be a 3rd Round pick.
Reply/Quote