Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bring Sanu back !!!
I love Sanu. I think he's terribly underrated. I'm not saying he's anywhere near elite or anything like that. But I think he's a little above average in skillset. Then you couple that with the fact he's known to be a hard worker, great in the locking room, and an unbelievable blocker, and I think he could be an absolute steal for someone to grab on the cheap.

All that said, I don't want him back here this year. I know that might sound crazy with everything I just wrote. But are WR room is CROWDED.

You know we have to play AJ and Boyd if healthy. That's a given.

It's also imperative that we can get Higgins some serious reps so he can hopefully start to build into legit starter and build a long-term role with Burrow.

Then you have Ross. Ross' salary is almost fully guaranteed so it makes no sense to cut him. And it makes little sense to pay him 5 mil to just rot on the bench. Even if Higgins takes his "#3 spot" I think you can find him reps with his unique skillset. He does have value.

Lastly, you have Auden Tate. This dude has earned a spot here. Even if he doesn't play a ton this year you really don't need that from your 5th option anyway. He's a younger guy who could develop, and should stick for that reason alone. Not to mention he could pose a unique Red Zone option.

So what you're left with is adding Sanu to this group and that gives you your 6 active guys. There's not enough balls to go around. He's either going to come in and leapfrog a bunch of guys and take reps from some of the younger ones, or he's goign to sit there being completely under-utilized. Neither are ideal IMO.

Sanu, while a really decent player, just doesn't have a long-term future here. And it makes little sense to throw him into such a crowded room.

Now... if next year we move on from AJ and Ross (very likely), then I could see bringing him in as a veteran presence and legitmate option.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 07:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still more TD's then Erickson and Sanu has sure hands and is a good Returner.

I just think he is better than Erickson. 

BTW, who is this Mart Ryan? lol

Cmon everyone knows who Mart Ryan is...he’s Marty Rice! Lol

Anyway, we’ll just have to disagree on this one. As others have said, I want the younger guys getting the reps. We’re not in win now mode this year, let Higgins, and Tate etc develop.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 07:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I love Sanu. I think he's terribly underrated.  I'm not saying he's anywhere near elite or anything like that.  But I think he's a little above average in skillset.  Then you couple that with the fact he's known to be a hard worker, great in the locking room, and an unbelievable blocker, and I think he could be an absolute steal for someone to grab on the cheap.

All that said, I don't want him back here this year.  I know that might sound crazy with everything I just wrote.  But are WR room is CROWDED.

You know we have to play AJ and Boyd if healthy.  That's a given.

It's also imperative that we can get Higgins some serious reps so he can hopefully start to build into legit starter and build a long-term role with Burrow.  

Then you have Ross.  Ross' salary is almost fully guaranteed so it makes no sense to cut him. And it makes little sense to pay him 5 mil to just rot on the bench.  Even if Higgins takes his "#3 spot" I think you can find him reps with his unique skillset.  He does have value.

Lastly, you have Auden Tate.  This dude has earned a spot here.  Even if he doesn't play a ton this year you really don't need that from your 5th option anyway.  He's a younger guy who could develop, and should stick for that reason alone.  Not to mention he could pose a unique Red Zone option.

So what you're left with is adding Sanu to this group and that gives you your 6 active guys.  There's not enough balls to go around.  He's either going to come in and leapfrog a bunch of guys and take reps from some of the younger ones, or he's goign to sit there being completely under-utilized.  Neither are ideal IMO.

Sanu, while a really decent player, just doesn't have a long-term future here.  And it makes little sense to throw him into such a crowded room.

Now... if next year we move on from AJ and Ross (very likely), then I could see bringing him in as a veteran presence and legitmate option.

But for all we know from recent events is AJ will be out the entire year and Ross will miss significant time and Mo was a Punt 
Returner at Rutgers and it wouldn't be anyone but Erickson he would be fighting for a roster spot with.
Reply/Quote
Only as a backup QB. He wasn't ever the most sizzling of athletes - some shiftiness but not really fast. He was one of those tough, hard working, intelligent types for sure. I'd rather see someone like Kline at G or a swing tackle being brought in. 
Reply/Quote
We could use a backup QB....

I’m not sure how interested he would be in coming back. Worth a look though IMO. Depends on the status of AJ. I’d we are forced to move Boyd back outside then Sanu has some value here IMO
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 07:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't bump those guys just bring in Mo as backup depth in case AJ and Ross go down which unfortunately happens a lot.

Sanu can be the Punt Return man and backup Slot to Boyd. Upgrade over Erickson who doesn't score TD's and also has had some 
troubles fumbling the ball...

This^, If you can bring in a solid veteran to improve your team, you should do it.  Our WR corps might seem deep on paper, but AJ Green still hasn't participated in any 11 on 11 drills, and Ross has already been dinged up.  Bringing in Sanu, who is also a willing and capable ST's player only improves the team, much more than stringing along borderline NFL talent like we've done for years.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 07:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Cmon everyone knows who Mart Ryan is...he’s Marty Rice! Lol

Anyway, we’ll just have to disagree on this one. As others have said, I want the younger guys getting the reps. We’re not in win now mode this year, let Higgins, and Tate etc develop.

Marty Rice... Hilarious

Seriously though, Tee and Auden would still be developing is what I am saying. Give them their snaps just have Mo as depth in 
case both AJ and Ross are banged up. All I am saying is that I would take Mo over Erickson if we had to play one or the other if 
needed and Mo has experience returning Punts.
Reply/Quote
I will fight anyone who says that Erickson is better than Sanu.

And by fight, what I really mean is argue with them online.
Reply/Quote
The New England Patriots, who have one of the worst receiving rooms in the league, just cut him after giving a 2nd for him less than a year ago. All reports out of NE are that he looks slow and plodding.

That’s a pass.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 07:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: The New England Patriots, who have one of the worst receiving rooms in the league, just cut him after giving a 2nd for him less than a year ago. All reports out of NE are that he looks slow and plodding.

That’s a pass.

If he is back to looking slow as molasses then yeah, I pass.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 07:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: But for all we know from recent events is AJ will be out the entire year and Ross will miss significant time and Mo was a Punt 
Returner at Rutgers and it wouldn't be anyone but Erickson he would be fighting for a roster spot with.

That's a good point.  He would definitely become extremely valuable if we see some injuries.  And I think between him, Ross and Wilson we could figure out how to replace Erickson.  Hell, we can figure that out right now without him. 

You've somewhat swayed him with the injuries concerns.  And he would be great for locker room, and as a mentor.  I just don't know if he'd want to enter such a crowded room.  He might be looking to go somewhere with a lot less depth.

But.. if he's on board, and he's relatively cheap, then I guess why not?  I mean, we should build the best team we have, right?  And Sanu is definitely worthy of a spot on this roster.

Congrats, you've piqued my interest.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 08:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: That's a good point.  He would definitely become extremely valuable if we see some injuries.  And I think between him, Ross and Wilson we could figure out how to replace Erickson.  Hell, we can figure that out right now without him. 

You've somewhat swayed him with the injuries concerns.  And he would be great for locker room, and as a mentor.  I just don't know if he'd want to enter such a crowded room.  He might be looking to go somewhere with a lot less depth.

But.. if he's on board, and he's relatively cheap, then I guess why not?  I mean, we should build the best team we have, right?  And Sanu is definitely worthy of a spot on this roster.

Congrats, you've piqued my interest.

You are welcome, but if he isn't in shape my point is out the window...
Reply/Quote
He is a slot WR only and we have two good ones in Boyd and Erickson. I say pass but if one of those guys gets hurt then Okie dokie sign him up.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 07:50 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We could use a backup QB....

He may actually have a stronger arm than Finley. (Not joking)

He's way faster, way quicker, and way stronger too. 

Note: I wouldn't actually want Sanu as our backup, I just wanted to kinda rag on our backup for potentially having a weaker arm than a WR.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 08:07 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: He may actually have a stronger arm than Finley. (Not joking)

He's way faster, way quicker, and way stronger too. 

Note: I wouldn't actually want Sanu as our backup, I just wanted to kinda rag on our backup for potentially having a weaker arm than a WR.

Yeah, have to rag on Finley after what we saw last year, damn noodle arm. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 07:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: The New England Patriots, who have one of the worst receiving rooms in the league, just cut him after giving a 2nd for him less than a year ago. All reports out of NE are that he looks slow and plodding.

That’s a pass.

I don't necessarily think this is it.

Sanu was in the last year of his contract, and carried no dead cap wieght.  They saved 6.5 million cutting him.  This is incredibly important for two reasons.

1.) The Patriots are in cap hell right now.  They've been up againstit for awhile, constantly having to move money around.  They have a current cap hit of 13.5 million for Tom Brady, who's obviously in Tampa Bay now.

2.) The salary cap is already being rumored to decrease 20 million next year, and that's assuming this seasons actually plays out.

So I think for a team like them, the first thing you have to look at is what surrounds the cap in this situation.  They desperately need to clear space.

Now, on top of this, you have to look at the WR's.  Edelman is clearly ahead of Sanu, and pretty much everyone else, in the pecking order.  Then you have N'keal Harry who they just took in the first round last season.  He's reportedly had a great camp.  He's obviously important to their future.

I'm guess they just don't want to pay their 3rd guy that much money. Especially when you have a coach like Belichick, that get results from castoffs and nobodies.

I had read earlier this year that Sanu played on really bad ankle last season, and that's why he looked so poor the 2nd half of the season.  They said he was completely healed going into camp.

I'm not saying I don't believe what you're saying, or the reports, but it would not at all shock me if he's just a cap casualty.

And let's be honest, Sanu has never been known for blazing speed.  He's a big, strong receiver who makes his living outworking people and running percise routes.  Unless he's slowed down considerably more, then this description doesn't really scare me off him still being able to be successful in this league.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 08:04 PM)J24 Wrote: He is a slot WR only and we have two good ones in Boyd and Erickson. I say pass but if one of those guys gets hurt then Okie dokie sign him up.

Erickson is not a good slot receiver.  He's not even a good returner. Nervous
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 08:20 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I don't necessarily think this is it.

Sanu was in the last year of his contract, and carried no dead cap wieght.  They saved 6.5 million cutting him.  This is incredibly important for two reasons.

1.) The Patriots are in cap hell right now.  They've been up againstit  for awhile, constantly having to move money around.  They have a current cap hit of 13.5 million for Tom Brady, who's obviously in Tampa Bay now.

2.) The salary cap is already being rumored to decrease 20 million next year, and that's assuming this seasons actually plays out.

So I think for a team like them, the first thing you have to look at is what surrounds the cap in this situation.  They desperately need to clear space.

Now, on top of this, you have to look at the WR's.  Edelman is clearly ahead of Sanu, and pretty much everyone else, in the pecking order.  Then you have N'keal Harry who they just took in the first round last season.  He's reportedly had a great camp.  He's obviously important to their future.

I'm guess they just don't want to pay their 3rd guy that much money. Especially when you have a coach like Belichick, that get results from castoffs and nobodies.

I had read earlier this year that Sanu played on really bad ankle last season, and that's why he looked so poor the 2nd half of the season.  They said he was completely healed going into camp.

I'm not saying I don't believe what you're saying, or the reports, but it would not at all shock me if he's just a cap casualty.

And let's be honest, Sanu has never been known for blazing speed.  He's a big, strong receiver who makes his living outworking people and running percise routes.  Unless he's slowed down considerably more, then this description doesn't really scare me off him still being able to be successful in this league.

This makes more sense to me, back on the Mo train... Rock On
Reply/Quote
Big meh. With the very limited practices and reps so far between Joe B. and who we have, don't have time to bring in Sanu who hasn't been stellar recently.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 07:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Marty Rice... Hilarious

Seriously though, Tee and Auden would still be developing is what I am saying. Give them their snaps just have Mo as depth in 
case both AJ and Ross are banged up. All I am saying is that I would take Mo over Erickson if we had to play one or the other if 
needed and Mo has experience returning Punts.

Sanu over Erickson would be one thing (I only brought him up as a joke cause you mentioned backup QB and Erickson played QB in high school), but Sanu over Higgins or Tate? No way. I keep seeing people say Sanu would be 4/5, well then one of those guys is getting bumped in that scenario. I know everyone is worried about them staying healthy, but on paper WR is probably our deepest position group. This move just wouldn’t make sense.

Reply/Quote