Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict facing suspension
(08-28-2017, 12:40 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Here's the hit...

I've watched this video from multiple angles over and over.

First, Burfict makes contact practically at the LOS and the ball just almost reaches the LOS when the hit occurs, so it wasn't late or beyond 5 yards (just stating this fact, not that anyone is disputing that).
Second, Burfict comes in contact with the front of the receiver. It appears that Burfict's shoulder hits the receiver's chest, but the blow was hard enough that it made the receiver's head snap back. We've seen plenty of times where if a player is hit hard in the shoulder/chest, the head will snap back, so the refs make a call on a split-second action that looks like contact to neck/head when in reality it often is not.
Third, there was no flag thrown, which means either the refs didn't see it (how can you not?) or they felt it was not deserving of a penalty.

The saying for a long time has been to always keep your head on a swivel.
To quote O'Callahan from Miracle - "Tell your boy to keep his head up and he won't have to worry about it."
However, I believe that with all the concussion studies that have come out since Goodell became commissioner and all the rule changes in favor of safety and health, this "old" philosophy is simply going to go away.

It seems the NFL wants players to be more heads-up (clearly Burfict wasn't looking at the ball but focusing solely on the receiver) and make a play on the ball rather than hit the receiver to cause an incompletion.

Burfict seemed to have already made up his mind for what he was going to do, and that likely (based on evidence provided in the videos) was he was hoping for a bang-bang play as soon as the ball got to the receiver. Unfortunately the ball was thrown way over the receiver's head and about 40 yards downfield, so if Burfict had been paying more attention to the ball than the receiver, the hit likely would not have happened (in that manner anyway).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 02:07 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The 5 yard limit isnt a thing anymore, man. Read the new rules. The hit was illegal. 

The ONLY thing worth debating about this is if the receiver was defenseless or not. Which is personal judgement.

Let's see how this new rule is enforced when the same type of play happens and they strike zone is the waist or lower. If they fine others 1 million dollars (what it costs Burfict for being suspended without pay) then I have no issue if they are consistent. But we all know, they won;t be consistent.

The target area was legal, but to be clear you are saying he hit a defenseless receiver and why the suspension. True?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 02:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I've watched this video from multiple angles over and over.

First, Burfict makes contact practically at the LOS and the ball just almost reaches the LOS when the hit occurs, so it wasn't late or beyond 5 yards (just stating this fact, not that anyone is disputing that).
Second, Burfict comes in contact with the front of the receiver. It appears that Burfict's shoulder hits the receiver's chest, but the blow was hard enough that it made the receiver's head snap back. We've seen plenty of times where if a player is hit hard in the shoulder/chest, the head will snap back, so the refs make a call on a split-second action that looks like contact to neck/head when in reality it often is not.
Third, there was no flag thrown, which means either the refs didn't see it (how can you not?) or they felt it was not deserving of a penalty.

The saying for a long time has been to always keep your head on a swivel.
To quote O'Callahan from Miracle - "Tell your boy to keep his head up and he won't have to worry about it."
However, I believe that with all the concussion studies that have come out since Goodell became commissioner and all the rule changes in favor of safety and health, this "old" philosophy is simply going to go away.

It seems the NFL wants players to be more heads-up (clearly Burfict wasn't looking at the ball but focusing solely on the receiver) and make a play on the ball rather than hit the receiver to cause an incompletion.

Burfict seemed to have already made up his mind for what he was going to do, and that likely (based on evidence provided in the videos) was he was hoping for a bang-bang play as soon as the ball got to the receiver. Unfortunately the ball was thrown way over the receiver's head and about 40 yards downfield, so if Burfict had been paying more attention to the ball than the receiver, the hit likely would not have happened (in that manner anyway).

I think the play is made worse by the fact even though Burfict hits him in the front Sherman is completely unaware he's there. 

You're coming across the middle man...you better know where the linebackers are.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The video also makes it clear that Burflict was in front - Sherman was just not looking. The more we learn the shadier this suspension gets.
Reply/Quote
Burfict shouldn't have done this knowing the league treats him like he is some monster.

That being said, why did the league even create the new ejection rule? They didn't even throw a flag during the play.... It's pretty ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 02:44 PM)Synric Wrote: I think the play is made worse by the fact even though Burfict hits him in the front Sherman is completely unaware he's there. 

You're coming across the middle man...you better know where the linebackers are.

Yea I think this is a case of traditional behavior vs where the NFL is going.

For the longest time, the receiver was to blame if he wasn't aware of where the defenders were at when coming across the middle.
However, the NFL seems to want to change that mindset, instead blaming the defender for hitting a receiver who is looking at the QB/ball rather than where he's going.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Also, the biggest F****** joke I have ever seen is how the Media/NFL treated the Huber situation a few years ago.

"Keep your head on a swivel kid."

Our guy gets his jaw broken, and it gets ran as a highlight all week.

NFL is a joke.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 02:54 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Also, the biggest F****** joke I have ever seen is how the Media/NFL treated the Huber situation a few years ago.

"Keep your head on a swivel kid."

Our guy gets his jaw broken, and it gets ran as a highlight all week.

NFL is a joke.

I brought up that video again since you mentioned it. It's so clear how dirty the Steelers were/are and the NFL treats them differently.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 03:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I brought up that video again since you mentioned it. It's so clear how dirty the Steelers were/are and the NFL treats them differently.

Sick
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 03:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I brought up that video again since you mentioned it. It's so clear how dirty the Steelers were/are and the NFL treats them differently.

Apparently, punters should "keep their heads on a swivel", but FBs should not. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 03:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: Apparently, punters should "keep their heads on a swivel", but FBs should not. Mellow

Steelers are rough on punters didnt Brown kick one in the face a few years back? Don't think he got fined for that either lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 03:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: Apparently, punters should "keep their heads on a swivel", but FBs should not. Mellow

And the hit on Huber was clearly in the actual head/neck area as evidenced by the broken jaw.
The hit on the Chiefs player didn't cause any injury. Dude got right back up and kept playing.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 03:23 PM)Synric Wrote: Steelers are rough on punters didnt Brown kick one in the face a few years back? Don't think he got fined for that either lol.

Browns punter.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

That is what a shot to the head and neck looks like. Compare that to the Burfict hit in question and it's not even close. Burfict hit was clearly below the neck. 
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 03:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And the hit on Huber was clearly in the actual head/neck area as evidenced by the broken jaw.
The hit on the Chiefs player didn't cause any injury. Dude got right back up and kept playing.

Aaaand he launched himself leading with thr crown of his helmet....broke all 3 of their conditions in one play lol.

Reply/Quote
i'm hoping we never play the chiefs in pre season again. Andy Reid was coaching that game like it was regular seasonn. From having fringe starters on offense and defense in the 4th quarter. Running stunts on defense and using zone blocking schemes on offense. Karma caught up to them with spencer ware injury following week
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 12:11 PM)CJ2etc Wrote: Elite players don't have a preseason vs season mode - they just play football whenever there is another team on the field.  Playing tentative is when people get hurt.

You can see the QB fake to this guy and Burfict just reacts to it and goes after the guy.  You can see him turn his head and bear down on the guy.  This is just a guy playing football and reacting to the play.

Yup. Except sadly the ball didn't go to the guy Burfict bit on. The QB was staring Sherman down, Tez turned his head to make a play on Sherman and stopped watching the QB. It was a timing thing except the ball wasn't there.

I am convinced more than ever that Tez loses the ball sometimes. 

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 03:48 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Yup. Except sadly the ball didn't go to the guy Burfict bit on. The QB was staring Sherman down, Tez turned his head to make a play on Sherman and stopped watching the QB. It was a timing thing except the ball wasn't there.

I am convinced more than ever that Tez loses the ball in sometimes. 

Did the same thing against Antonio Brown in the playoffs, only that was actual arm/shoulder contact to the head.
Every time I see Burfict involved in one of these "controversial" hits, it's because the ball was overthrown but Burfict would have hit said player right at the same time if the ball was thrown right at them.

I don't see how Burfict is supposed to watch the player and the ball at the same time.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:11 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It was not a legal hit. The receiver was defenseless. 

Vontez is an idiot and a dirty player. None of this is shocking. 

How are you going to be a defenseless receiver when the ball is not coming to you?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 01:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: IIRC, it was 13 of them, not called. 13.

I can see 5 even 6 be let go in this day and age, but 13? Still laugh at the, "perfect pocket for Ben," comments, while MJ LITERALLY has both of Villaneuava's arms around his neck/chest and MJ is flailing his arms wildly.

Or, the 90,000 times Nelson or Shawn Williams his receivers in the chest with their shoulder, then get flagged for helmet to helmet.

Absolutely insane.

Here's a link to the evidence if anyone wants to us it.
http://700wlw.iheart.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/vines-hold-on-a-second-15117710/

And here's Mitchells ankle twisting that nobody ever talks about.
https://mobile.twitter.com/The_OriginalMrG/status/658364742910791680

Reply/Quote