Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict facing suspension
(08-28-2017, 02:03 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And you are 100% wrong. The hit doesnt have to be to the head or neck. Here is the rule: 

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

1. forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him
  2. lowering the head and making forcible contact with the crown or ”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body
  3. illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (i) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (ii) uses any part of his helmet to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body. (This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Article 7.)

This could be deemed as incidental contact to those areas(head/neck)even if initial contact was not targeted in those areas.

Re-read it.

As far as what I think...   he's screwed!

They'll twist it just like you did.  That rule is fuzzy IMHO.

Just enough room to wiggle it.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If the NFL stringently interprets the rule, Cincinnati is going to need another linebacker to step up and carry Vontaze's load for five games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not trying to justify the hit by what I'm about to say. Actually has nothing to do with it but, did anyone else notice the amount of holding on that play?
Reply/Quote
Here's what I do t get. Let's say a guy is running down field with the ball and a teammate throws a block just like Burfict did, would it be a big deal? I'm guessing it will be shown on all the highlights as a great block. Same force, same hit with the same injury risk and they would just say, gotta have your head on a swivel there kid.

I can't sit here and argue if it's legal or not cause the rules are so screwed up and misleading that one can argue either way and be right. That's the problem.

The only thing I do know is Burfict just needs to be smarter than that. Don't put yourself in a situation like that knowing your under a microscope as it is. Another thing is it's pre season, why even play like that. Your not fighting to make the roster. I hate the rules and the way the game keeps getting softer and softer but damnit man, it's just pre season use your head.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 05:01 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Or quite possibly because he is a repeat offender - on several occasions.

So next time you speed tell the cop to you give you extra tickets for the tickets you have already received, and then confess every single time you went over he speed limit so you can have him write tickets for that as well.  Go cheer for Pittsburg..  No way in the world you can think this is fair for 5 games, look around the NFL and you will see the misbalance that is taking place.  This is football the dude should be protecting himself at all times, but he didn't so the hit was legal!  If it was illegal then fine penalize but for this hit 5 games is absurd.  
Reply/Quote
So let's get this straight:

1) The illegality of the hit itself is questionable at best.

2) They want to suspend him for FIVE GAMES for a rule that they claim he broke, that has never been enforced before, ever.

Guess next time some litters just send them straight to the guillotine, right?
Reply/Quote
This really is complete bullsh*t. This would never happen to anyone else - especially for FIVE damned games.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 08:24 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: This really is complete bullsh*t. This would never happen to anyone else - especially for FIVE damned games.

Without question you are absolutely correct.  Unbelievable. 
Reply/Quote
I'm just gonna say this - I'm not sure I can continue watching the NFL.

Obviously anytime Burfict hits somebody hard pretty much no matter the circumstances the laundry is coming out. He's gonna have to tip toe up to the opposing players, softly peck them on the shoulder, politely ask them "sir may I please lay you softly to the turf" ?
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 07:57 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If the NFL stringently interprets the rule, Cincinnati is going to need another linebacker to step up and carry Vontaze's load for five games.

Actually it's the reverse, the NFL is playing fast and loose with the rule and a literal interpretation says no illegal hit.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 07:57 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If the NFL stringently interprets the rule, Cincinnati is going to need another linebacker to step up and carry Vontaze's load for five games.

The NFL has already interpreted the rule and determined Burfict violated it. Now, when he appeals, it will be sent to one of the two independent arbiters agreed upon by the NFLPA and the NFL under the collective bargaining agreement.

They will independently look at the hit to determine if it was legal under the rules. Then if so, is the five game suspension justified. If Burfict wins there, then it is over. If the suspension is upheld or lowered, and he and the NFLPA want to continue the fight they would have to file a lawsuit and seek an injunction to stop the disciplinary action until the litigation is complete.
Reply/Quote
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R__cbTa2nnU

Even goes on to say they are coached to do this. Where was the outcry for a suspension.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 08:24 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: This really is complete bullsh*t. This would never happen to anyone else - especially for FIVE damned games.

Hines Ward hits Keith Rivers from the side...

Now...guys are hitting guys head on and it's a defenseless hit and draws a 5 games suspension???
Reply/Quote
The more hilarious part of our deluded fan bases tinfoil NFL is against us theory:

The Steelers:

LeVeon Bell suspended 4 games last year, reduced to 3

Bell suspended in 2015 for 2 games too

Martav. Bryant - Suspended entire 16

Ben - 6 Games, reduced to 4 in 2010

The Pats:

Brady - Suspended 4 games

ROb NInkovitch - 4 games

Cowboys:

Zeke - 6 Games

Hardy

McClain, Gregory, Randall, Evans - All Suspended

---

In Fact - Over the last 4 years - the Bengals are no where close to the top 10 in games lost via suspension - Even with two morons named jones and Burfict on the team.

Guess who is in the top 10 for games lost via suspension?

Steelers - 8th
Clev- 3rd
Balt- 2nd

Yet, our fans want to blame the refs, the nfl, the media. Lol. The team is a laughingstock So are the players. It's not complicated
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:14 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: The more hilarious part of our deluded fan bases tinfoil NFL is against us theory:

The Steelers:

LeVeon Bell suspended 4 games last year, reduced to 3

Bell suspended in 2015 for 2 games too

Martav. Bryant - Suspended entire 16

Ben - 6 Games, reduced to 4 in 2010

The Pats:

Brady - Suspended 4 games

ROb NInkovitch - 4 games

Cowboys:

Zeke - 6 Games

Hardy

McClain, Gregory, Randall, Evans  - All Suspended

---

In Fact - Over the last 4 years - the Bengals are no where close to the top 10 in games lost via suspension - Even with two morons named jones and Burfict on the team.

Guess who is in the top 10 for games lost via suspension?

Steelers - 8th
Clev- 3rd
Balt- 2nd

Yet, our fans want to blame the refs, the nfl, the media.  Lol.  The team is a laughingstock   So are the players.   It's not complicated

Suspended for using drugs which is actually outlined in the CBA for exactly how many games each offense is worth. 

That is not even comparing the same type of suspensions at all.

Burfict is being given a random number at the commish's leisure that he feels like tossing out. Only thing you stated in all of those numbers that is worth anything is that a guy who was involved in cheating in the playoffs is suspended for less time than a guy who made a football play. Maybe people have forgotten over the years, but when you went across the middle starting in pop warner, you were told to keep your head on a swivel and look out for the LBs who would try to knock you on your ass and off your route. So, Burfict jacks a dude up with a hit to the chest, a hit that guys who are enshrined in Canton and the league still runs highlights of made every single snap. That hit, a football play is worse than doing something that cheats the game and affects the integrity of it. I think your numbers prove the point.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:46 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The way the NFL rules are written nowadays, they could literally take any hit and subjectively find something wrong with it. They have protected themselves well in that regard. They can effectively eliminate players they don't like or control the outcome of agame based on how the rules are written. 

And that's what they do!!!
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:21 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Suspended for using drugs which is actually outlined in the CBA for exactly how many games each offense is worth. 

That is not even comparing the same type of suspensions at all.

Burfict is being given a random number at the commish's leisure that he feels like tossing out. Only thing you stated in all of those numbers that is worth anything is that a guy who was involved in cheating in the playoffs is suspended for less time than a guy who made a football play. Maybe people have forgotten over the years, but when you went across the middle starting in pop warner, you were told to keep your head on a swivel and look out for the LBs who would try to knock you on your ass and off your route. So, Burfict jacks a dude up with a hit to the chest, a hit that guys who are enshrined in Canton and the league still runs highlights of made every single snap. That hit, a football play is worse than doing something that cheats the game and affects the integrity of it. I think your numbers prove the point.

He has been fined for cheap shots hits to the tune of 800K in his 5 year career 

Stomping, Bragging, Twisting, Late Hits  -  26 personal fouls,  and now a few suspensions. 

Lol.  Our fans are so blinded    26 years of losing does that, I guess 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:34 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: He has been fined for cheap shots hits to the tune of 800K in his 5 year career 

Stomping, Bragging, Twisting, Late Hits  -  26 personal fouls,  and now a few suspensions. 

Lol.  Our fans are so blinded    26 years of losing does that, I guess 

Don't you have like.....a bingo game to go to?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Remember who Lacroix is.....

:troll:
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:38 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Don't you have like.....a bingo game to go to?

So if I just tell you the NFL is rigged vs the Bengals, I can stay and be your friend?

OK!

We are so unlucky.  The NFL is trying to keep us down!  It is unjust!
Reply/Quote