Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict suspended first 3 games of 2016 season
Dave Lapham on Tez: "Why can't Burfict just play like Luke Kuechly ....a hell of a LB without all the antics?"
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Dave Lapham on Tez: "Why can't Burfict just play like Luke Kuechly ....a hell of a LB without all the antics?"

Because Kuechly is a better player overall and Burfict's attitude is part of what makes him so good.

Different things drive different players.

Would he say the same of Ray Lewis and Lawrence Taylor? 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 03:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Making contact" is totally different than "dipping his shoulder and turning it into Brown".

Burfict's hit was illegal.  Shaziers hit on Gio should have been called also.  But that does not change tyhe fact that Burfict F'd up there.  He dipped his shoulder and went for a shot against a defenseless receiver.

Good.  Now that we have established that contact was unavoidable.  Let's take a look at Browns positioning during the sequence of events.

[Image: a%20few%20frames%20before%20impact_zpskljqmmml.png]

Note this pic is from different angle, but at precisely the exact time (Note the position of Browns left cleat in comparison to the previous overhead pic)  Brown is also in the upright position, and if he remains upright, Burfict hits him squarely on the chest with his shoulder.  Also note the location of the ball in the above pic.

[Image: moment%20of%20impact_zpsuescgauj.png]

Forward the film just a few frames, and you clearly see Brown tucking to protect himself from Burfict, thus lowering his head.  Keep in mind the position of the ball here, and and note that Browns left cleat has just made initial contact with the ground.  Brown obviously knew he didn't make the catch.  The ball hit his hands.  But how can anyone make a case that Burfict was also in position to see that Brown not only did not make the catch, but also be able to stop the contact at this point.  Of course Burfict lowered his shoulder.  That is generally the "football move" made when attempting to make a tackle.  In your best estimation what is the time frame Burfict had to react?  Another point of reference for you is to look at Vinny Rey during the same play.  In the overhead shots I posted you can clearly see Vinny Rey (through the blurry pic) with his right foot on the 40 yard line before the ball actually reaches Brown.  Once the ball is past Brown, in the next pic you can even more clearly see Vinny Rey LEFT foot landing on the 38 yard line.  In other words, Vinny Rey makes ONE step.
Reply/Quote
I actually think Burfict needs this. He's been out of control for a while, I dont think a real public shaming (in a playoff game to boot) does him any bad. Its his only chance of being the elite player in this league he can be, if it shames him into cutting out the crap and playing like the top linebacker he can be without all the dumb penalties and antics, then im all for suspending him for 3 games. Longer he continues the crap, the quicker we're gunna just have to cut ties with the guy.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:11 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I actually think Burfict needs this.

He might...but I sure didn't.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lets see how much you love it when other teams start retaliating against our offensive players.

I love Burfict and don't want to lose him.  but he has to change or he will do more damage than good.

They're already IR'ing and concussing our offensive players. Been doing for years. Let us not forget how many players of ours the Steelers knocked out before Burfict was even a Bengal before you ok their behavior as retaliatory.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: They're already IR'ing and concussing our offensive players. Been doing for years. Let us not forget how many players of ours the Steelers knocked out before Burfict was even a Bengal before you ok their behavior as retaliatory.

So true.  How much worse can it actually get?  Carrying chains and clubs?  I actually think answering back is a better way to stop it.  The passive approach hasn't worked for a very long time.

Sucks that it had to happen in a playoff game but it had to happen.  It's been coming for a long time.

The Steelers got what they've been asking for.  And they are not liking it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:41 PM)McC Wrote: So true.  How much worse can it actually get?  Carrying chains and clubs?  I actually think answering back is a better way to stop it.  The passive approach hasn't worked for a very long time.

Sucks that it had to happen in a playoff game but it had to happen.  It's been coming for a long time.

The Steelers got what they've been asking for.  And they are not liking it.

....and seems what they have been asking for is not going to end in Cincinnati according to reports out of Denver.  I love it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....and seems what they have been asking for is not going to end in Cincinnati according to reports out of Denver.  I love it.

Me too.  It's time the whole league starts saying **** you to the Steelers, like the Ratbirds have been doing for a while now.

You have to give as much as you get against those bastards but you also have to be able to walk away from the incitement.  That comes next.

Even though this year ended like years past, the Bengals made a lot of big strides this year.  And after the wound heals, this game will be viewed as what it was.  It was a ***** exorcism.  The monkey is still on the back but at least the Steelers are done kicking them in the ass.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:05 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because Kuechly is a better player overall and Burfict's attitude is part of what makes him so good.

I totally disagree.  Burfict can play with an attitude, but still stay within the rules.  He is an amazing talent who has no control over his emotions.  There are times he almost seems like an overgrown child.
Let's hope he is, or can become, a little better human being than Lewis and Taylor... Lewis has a second family in Orlando (my old admin lives on the same street as them), was probably involved in a murder, and Taylor is/was a coke fiend.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:11 PM)Shepdawg Wrote:  Of course Burfict lowered his shoulder.  That is generally the "football move" made when attempting to make a tackle. 

And you can't do that when hitting a defenseless receiver.

That is the rule.  It will draw a flag everytime.
Reply/Quote
Burfict will have to at least dial it back a click or two because the book on him will be to piss him off, make him do something stupid. It might only get worse for him from now on because no matter what is done to him, he will still be wearing the bulls eye. Can't say I've ever seen a guy singled out like this, tbh.

Did he bring it on himself? Sure. Should he have to play under a different set of rules than anyone else? Seems like that's what he'll have to do.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: They're already IR'ing and concussing our offensive players. Been doing for years. Let us not forget how many players of ours the Steelers knocked out before Burfict was even a Bengal before you ok their behavior as retaliatory.

I did like on that gameday blitz segment when dameshek mentioned that burfict personally takes out Pittsburgh's triplets lol
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:11 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I actually think Burfict needs this. He's been out of control for a while, I dont think a real public shaming (in a playoff game to boot) does him any bad. Its his only chance of being the elite player in this league he can be, if it shames him into cutting out the crap and playing like the top linebacker he can be without all the dumb penalties and antics, then im all for suspending him for 3 games. Longer he continues the crap, the quicker we're gunna just have to cut ties with the guy.

This.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
I also will give Ike taylor some credit as well. As I have been tough on him and his lack of ability to speak clear English.

He said that williams and burfict shouldn't have been called because they led with their shoulder. And that coaches can't touch opposing players.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:05 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because Kuechly is a better player overall and Burfict's attitude is part of what makes him so good.

Kuethcly doesn't have to play that way in his division. The AFCN is just a hard and physical division. They truly beat up on each other.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And you can't do that when hitting a defenseless receiver.

That is the rule.  It will draw a flag everytime.

There in lies the major problem.  This statement is simply not correct.  If it were then the Shazier hit Gio is flagged.  The UC on Joey Porter is flagged.  The hit on Wheaton isn't flagged and ruled legal.  If the UC is called on Porter as it should have been, then the Jones incident NEVER happens. The field goal then becomes about 63 yards, in the rain.  If the call is made on Shazier, it's first on 10 or first and goal, depending on the spot, near the 10 yard line.  Consistency on obvious calls and non calls is the issue.  We're not even talking about judgement calls like a phantom hold or pass interference. Can you honestly say that if the roles were reversed, and it was the Bengals driving for the game winning FG against Pittsburgh, and Marvin Jones was hit by Ryan Shazier on the exact same play, that the ruling on the field would not have been an "unfortunate hit"?  If the Shazier hit on Gio was with say a minute to go in the game , at the same spot on the field, with the Bengals driving to take the lead, it would STILL be an unfortunate hit, and NOT flagged.

The referee was there talking to Joey Porter on the field, and was fully aware of the rule regarding assistant coaches on the field.  Yet he REFUSED to throw the unsportsmanlike conduct flag, and later rationalized by saying. "I felt he was out there out of genuine concern for Brown"  Yet Porter was no where near Brown, but rather over by the Bengals players, and Brown was already up and being helped off the field before the incident with Jones ever happened.  The officials do not have the authority to make that call a judgement call.  Yet they refused to throw the flag.

If that play drew a flag EVERYTIME as you suggest, then this conversation isn't even taking place.  The fact is one team is allowed to play dirty and have that ruled "unfortunate" while the other get's the flags EVERYTIME.  
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 09:53 PM)TexasorBusted Wrote: It's BS...But even a 3 game suspension is worth it....I am proud to have Burfict on this team...Wish there were 53 Burficts...He gets it....He plays at a passion few in the NFL play...This is a war...That battle Saturday night had to happen....The Bengals actually bullied the bullies....And the Steelers hate it...We are the bullies now....Congrats Steelers for your Division Round exit...I will make that trade EVERY time...

This is dripping with awesome sauce!  You know what else nobody mentioned?  The Bengals rose to the occasion in a prime time playoff game and scared every team in the NFL.  For forty years nobody has been tougher and more physical than the Pittsburgh Steelers and a national audience got to see the Steelers tossed around like crash test dummies by the Bengals.  It was like the end of Jurassic Park where the velociraptors got eaten by the T. Rex.  I'm sure every offensive player in the NFL watching the game took a knowing look at each other.

I don't normally follow other sports blogs but I noticed some comments following an article on Yahoo Sports about the Bengals and Steelers:  "Finally a real football game!  This was a throwback to the '60s, man!  I loved it.  Tell Goodell I want more of this!" and, "From the moment Ryan Shazier speared Gio Bernard with no flag, it was on.  The Bengals turned it up."

So we're the new nasty team.  I say we embrace it.  Cincinnasty.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 07:30 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Kuethcly doesn't have to play that way in his division.   The AFCN is just a hard and physical division.   They truly beat up on each other.

Yeah, the NFC South is crazy soft. Has been for awhile now. It's why you won't ever see a successful Cam Newton style QB, or a Jimmy Graham style TE, or a Darren Sproles style RB in the AFC North. Dudes would get broken in a hurry.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 10:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, the NFC South is crazy soft. Has been for awhile now. It's why you won't ever see a successful Cam Newton style QB, or a Jimmy Graham style TE, or a Darren Sproles style RB in the AFC North. Dudes would get broken in a hurry.

The NFC South is Roger Goodell's model division:  Lots of passing, lots of scoring, no emotion, and little defense; pretty much the football equivalent of the entire NBA. Smirk
Reply/Quote