Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict suspended first 3 games of 2016 season
(01-12-2016, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lets see how much you love it when other teams start retaliating against our offensive players.

I love Burfict and don't want to lose him.  but he has to change or he will do more damage than good.

This is what I don't think some people get.  There are no moral victories, no "we all know which team really won the game".  All we know is that one team is now done for the year and the other is playing in the Divisional round.

I saw Terrell Davis yesterday talking about Burfict.  He talked about his athletic prowess and what a great linebacker he is, how he is truly a "game changer".  He then went on to call him a "knucklehead".  He said "there is a reason he was a first round talent and wasn't even drafted, his knucklehead plays go all the way back to college".  He argued that for all the great plays, you know there is something bad coming.

Also, it does not take a mental wizard to figure out teams are going to start retaliating.  Hell, many posters on here are bringing up hits from 8-10 years ago and praising Burfict for equaling the score.  
Reply/Quote
If all of this happened against anyone other than Pittsburgh, you'd probably see a different tune from me. But it WAS Pitt, and therefore, I don't care one iota about it.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:03 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Also, it does not take a mental wizard to figure out teams are going to start retaliating. 

We have some very naive people posting here.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: Marvin said he had 3 in his presser....would three lead the league?

I don't know, but I seem to remember more than three??  I tried to Google it, but could not find the actual stats on personal foul penalties. I did find an article that confirmed he led the league in 2013.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:03 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This is what I don't think some people get.  There are no moral victories, no "we all know which team really won the game".  All we know is that one team is now done for the year and the other is playing in the Divisional round.

I saw Terrell Davis yesterday talking about Burfict.  He talked about his athletic prowess and what a great linebacker he is, how he is truly a "game changer".  He then went on to call him a "knucklehead".  He said "there is a reason he was a first round talent and wasn't even drafted, his knucklehead plays go all the way back to college".  He argued that for all the great plays, you know there is something bad coming.

Also, it does not take a mental wizard to figure out teams are going to start retaliating.  Hell, many posters on here are bringing up hits from 8-10 years ago and praising Burfict for equaling the score.  

While that may be, it's like this.  When you're on that field, it is the officials' jobs to instill order, and keep things like what happened to Bernard from happening again.  I've been in these situations travelling to play in the mountains of Appalachia with an all "good ol' boy" officiating crew.  When the officials don't do their job on such an egregious play as the Shazier hit (he sized Gio up and took a good four to five steps toward him and speared him), players are gonna police that shit on the field themselves.  That's just the way it is.  THAT is why a guy such as myself has no issue with the Bengals policing it themselves.....it was obvious the officials had lost control, and seemed disinterested in restoring it.

I think people are forgetting that was not unprovoked, the Bengals were retaliating.....for crap in this game, and earlier in the season.  There was another shot on Eifert this game, lest we forget.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:06 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I don't know, but I seem to remember more than three??  I tried to Google it, but could not find the actual stats on personal foul penalties. I did find an article that confirmed he led the league in 2013.

I remember 2013, for sure....it was quite a bit.  Marvin said he had three this season in his presser, and that they had addressed the dumb shit he was doing in 2013.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: I remember 2013, for sure....it was quite a bit.  Marvin said he had three this season in his presser, and that they had addressed the dumb shit he was doing in 2013.

3, but don't forget the league came back and said the first one was a bad call....
Reply/Quote
Vontaze Burfict and William Gholston tied for the league lead in unnecessary roughness penalties with 4 each.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/unnecessary-roughness?year=2015&view=players

Bengals as a team were third in the league with 12.  Ravens had 15 and the Bucs had 13.  Steelers were 5th with 10.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: I remember 2013, for sure....it was quite a bit.  Marvin said he had three this season in his presser, and that they had addressed the dumb shit he was doing in 2013.

Like I said, I don't know.  I have heard that Marvin was telling them to "keep their cool".  Considering there was talk about a loss meaning Marvin would be gone, I would like to think they would have had more respect, and known they were possibly playing for his job.

I said earlier that the league needs to get control before the first game next year.  I think that is part of the reason for the three game suspension to Burfict.  They know that this cannot keep escalating or someone is going to get seriously injured.  My guess is they have quietly told both teams "keep it up and there will be a lot more of this coming your way".
Reply/Quote
I said in another thread that Hill cost Burfict 3 games and a fine. Burfict should make Hill pay the fine for him.
Reply/Quote
Can anyone confirm if it would be in fact 1 regular season game and 2 preseason ? If that'd the case I'll stop b*tching as much . 3 regular season games is ridiculous . That's goddell saying I don't like you burfict and I could care less for the bengals as well
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:25 PM)Beaker Wrote: I said in another thread that Hill cost Burfict 3 games and a fine. Burfict should make Hill pay the fine for him.

Hill had nothing to do with it.

I canm go back through the game and find a dozen mistakes by a dozen different players that could have cost us the game just as much as Hill's fumble.  But the fact is that we still should have won the game even after Hill fumbled.  Blaming him for what Burfict did is ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:25 PM)The Burfict Answer Wrote: Can anyone confirm if it would be in fact 1 regular season game and 2 preseason ? If that'd the case I'll stop b*tching as much . 3 regular season games is ridiculous . That's goddell saying I don't like you burfict and I could care less for the bengals as well

Every suspension I remember is the player takes part in training camp and preseason, but then sits out the regular season games.  Do they even get paid for preseason?  Getting suspended for preseason would not be much of a punishment...
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:13 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Burfict could have pulled up and it was clear that Brown wasn't making that catch. Of course the Steelers were playing dirty. That's their game. We got them back quite a bit that game. But in that situation he should know what happens if he makes that hit. A shoulder hit the head of Brown and that's a guaranteed penalty all day

How can you say that it was clear that Brown wasn't making that catch.  Look at the screen shot here and tell me whether you think Antonio Brown, the guy with more catches over the past 3 seasons than any receiver has ever had over any 3 year span, is going to make the catch.

[Image: does%20Antonio%20Brown%20make%20the%20ca...mwxsmb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: While that may be, it's like this.  When you're on that field, it is the officials' jobs to instill order, and keep things like what happened to Bernard from happening again.  I've been in these situations travelling to play in the mountains of Appalachia with an all "good ol' boy" officiating crew.  When the officials don't do their job on such an egregious play as the Shazier hit (he sized Gio up and took a good four to five steps toward him and speared him), players are gonna police that shit on the field themselves.  That's just the way it is.  THAT is why a guy such as myself has no issue with the Bengals policing it themselves.....it was obvious the officials had lost control, and seemed disinterested in restoring it.

I think people are forgetting that was not unprovoked, the Bengals were retaliating.....for crap in this game, and earlier in the season.  There was another shot on Eifert this game, lest we forget.

Seems like I'm the only one that noticed, but the Bengals didn't really wake up and start playing until the dirty hit on Gio. Burfict pretty much became a one man wrecking crew after that, and; but for the Hill fumble leading to the other events; would have been considered a hero! Now, I gotta agree with you on the retaliation and who it was against. Had it been anyone but the Steelers, I might take the let's do everything the way we're supposed to and just play hard road, but I've seen too much over the years from those guys. Now, before the do-gooders who have never played sports jump back in here, there comes a time when somebody has to do something. Also those who decry bringing up the past are the very ones who are pointing out what Burfict did against Carolina last year. Still, there is a coaching factor that can't be ignored here, and it was on both sides. Steeler assistants on the field and fighting with our players on the sidelines, a pile of our players running out the tunnel with nearly two minutes left in the game, and of course the game ending penalties, one of which should have either been offsetting or not called at all. The Around the Horn guys unanimously said the officiating was the single biggest problem, and in reality it probably was. Burfict does indeed have some problems to iron out, but so does our staff. Does anyone think our players would have ran off the field if they were playing for a Bellichick? Coughlin? Del Rio? If handled properly, Burfict could easily make people think about him when the North division is mentioned rather than Ray Lewis, but he and the staff have a lot of work to do. In the meantime, I just went online and purchased a real nice Burfict drift jersey from the Cincinnati Bengals online store at 217 bucks off!
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:24 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Like I said, I don't know.  I have heard that Marvin was telling them to "keep their cool".  Considering there was talk about a loss meaning Marvin would be gone, I would like to think they would have had more respect, and known they were possibly playing for his job.

I said earlier that the league needs to get control before the first game next year.  I think that is part of the reason for the three game suspension to Burfict.  They know that this cannot keep escalating or someone is going to get seriously injured.  My guess is they have quietly told both teams "keep it up and there will be a lot more of this coming your way".

Agreed.  The league REALLY botched all of this started with all of the social media BS from both sides earlier this year.  THAT is where all of this started.....well.....and on the field at the Ketchup Bowl.  Then there was a couple of weeks ago....it was a no brainer what was going to happen Saturday if they didn't establish control swiftly and with authority.  It SHOULD have started with the ejection of Munchak.....

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Vontaze Burfict and William Gholston tied for the league lead in unnecessary roughness penalties with 4 each.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/unnecessary-roughness?year=2015&view=players

Bengals as a team were third in the league with 12.  Ravens had 15 and the Bucs had 13.  Steelers were 5th with 10.
Yeh, Steelers had 10, and probably 20 more that were merely "unfortunate" that they happened.   Shocked
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 09:44 PM)McC Wrote: Gee, what do you think the chances are that one of those three is against the Steelers.  Whatever Rooney scumbag running the show now has already given Roger his orders.

I was figuring the same thing. In fact, I would be surprised if the NFL said both Stooler games will be in those 3 weeks due to unforeseen scheduling issues.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:38 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: How can you say that it was clear that Brown wasn't making that catch.  Look at the screen shot here and tell me whether you think Antonio Brown, the guy with more catches over the past 3 seasons than any receiver has ever had over any 3 year span, is going to make the catch.

[Image: does%20Antonio%20Brown%20make%20the%20ca...mwxsmb.png]

I think he meant it was clear Brown was not going to make the catch by the time Burfict was anywhere near him.

And that is exactly what this picture you posted proves.  The ball is through Brown's hands and Burfict is not even in the picture.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:38 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Seems like I'm the only one that noticed, but the Bengals didn't really wake up and start playing until the dirty hit on Gio. Burfict pretty much became a one man wrecking crew after that, and; but for the Hill fumble leading to the other events; would have been considered a hero! Now, I gotta agree with you on the retaliation and who it was against. Had it been anyone but the Steelers, I might take the let's do everything the way we're supposed to and just play hard road, but I've seen too much over the years from those guys. Now, before the do-gooders who have never played sports jump back in here, there comes a time when somebody has to do something. Also those who decry bringing up the past are the very ones who are pointing out what Burfict did against Carolina last year. Still, there is a coaching factor that can't be ignored here, and it was on both sides. Steeler assistants on the field and fighting with our players on the sidelines, a pile of our players running out the tunnel with nearly two minutes left in the game, and of course the game ending penalties, one of which should have either been offsetting or not called at all. The Around the Horn guys unanimously said the officiating was the single biggest problem, and in reality it probably was. Burfict does indeed have some problems to iron out, but so does our staff. Does anyone think our players would have ran off the field if they were playing for a Bellichick? Coughlin? Del Rio? If handled properly, Burfict could easily make people think about him when the North division is mentioned rather than Ray Lewis, but he and the staff have a lot of work to do. In the meantime, I just went online and purchased a real nice Burfict drift jersey from the Cincinnati Bengals online store at 217 bucks off!

LMAO

As for the rest of your post, I couldn't agree more.  Maybe if the league decided to suspend Marv and Tomlin for failure to control their teams, shit would get straightened out REAL quick!

Reply/Quote