Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me'
(02-17-2020, 11:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Blah blah blah this place is becoming insufferable lately. The negativity is just exhausting. We have all season to be negative. Right now, believe it or not,  some of us just want to be excited for a little while, or at the very least be cautiously optimistic.

But thankfully we have 800 posts a day reminding us how terrible everything is, and how it’s completely hopeless no matter what. What ever would we do without all the valuable history lessons reminding us all that we’re the Bengals and not the Patriots. Some of us would clearly forget without them...

The optimistic take around here is that Burrow can drag our defunct organization to victory.  It's possible to be optimistic while also admitting flaws that make us the punching bag we are.

I'm not saying we cant win, I'm simply saying that acting so flummoxed the media would badmouth the Mike Brown method is a bit much.

Thrn again I never really had that ravenous fan mentality choosing to be a Bengals fan in Steelers country and not abandoning it around 1991 or so.  I've had decades to shrug and say "Yep your team does have more Super Bowls than we do."  People get so stunned I can admit that without getting all bent out of shape.

But I digress.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
In other news the 2020 NFL draft starts with the Washington Redskins since Joe Burrow is the Number 1 pick in the draft. Stuff we already knew.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 06:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: For the 100th time...….He can't say he is happy to be a Bengal until they select him.  How stupid would he sound if he went around saying how happy he was to be going to the Bengals and then end up with another team.

Burrow is saying EXACTLY THE SAME THING that ever potential #1 pick says at this time of year.

Everyone needs to just lighten up.

No kidding. I don't recall any projected #1 pick talking about how happy they'll be to be a __________FILL IN THE BLANK__________. I'm not sure how the League would even look at that. 

The media in this country just make me  Sick
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28726662/joe-burrow-says-bengals-no-1-draft-pick-leverage%3fplatform=amp

What’s this “I do have leverage “ thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
Not sure where/when that was said??

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
This is also happening guys:

Bartkowksi and Burrow met at a Davey O’Brien Award event Sunday night in Fort Worth. That’s when Bartkowski, who is in the Falcons’ Ring of Honor, advised Burrow and his family to just say no to Cincinnati.

“They’re Ohio guys,” Bartkowski said. “I might’ve offended them by telling them that, [but] if it’s the Bengals, I think I’d pull an Eli Manning on that one. I said, ‘You’ve got a chance to do that. That’s happened.’ [John] Elway kind of set the tone, then the Mannings delved into it after Eli was picked by San Diego

“I do have leverage,” Burrow said.

Leverage for what? Let’s not all act like we know this guy and what he’s thinking. Fact is, there has been a lot of people in his ear telling him to not come here..... more than those telling him that coming to Cincy would be great for his career. Sure it makes for good news fodder, but I’m starting to get a little uneasy that if people keep spouting the “Avoid Cincy” narrative.........he’s gonna start listening.

For the record.....I hope we select him and he dominates the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 12:31 AM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28726662/joe-burrow-says-bengals-no-1-draft-pick-leverage%3fplatform=amp

What’s this “I do have leverage “ thing?

Exactly. That is an odd thing to say.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 05:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: From interview today with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
(Video) https://www.star-telegram.com/latest-news/article240368516.html

“Look, this is a long process, right?” Burrow said. “They have their process that they have to go through, and so I am blessed to be in the position I’m in. If they select me, they select me, I’m going to do everything in my power to be the best football player I can be.”

“It’s a long process in the next couple of months,” Burrow said. “We have the combine. We have pro days. There is a long time until the draft. There is a lot of information in a lot of different places. A lot of people saying a lot of things. I’m just focused on training right now.”

I wonder why I cannot find the whole interview anywhere?

Here is another one he did today.

https://youtu.be/COAjzJ3C3do

He said it's out of his control and up to the Bengals.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The talk of leverage is the first thing Joe said that worried me

That doesn’t sound good for us

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 12:14 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: In other news the 2020 NFL draft starts with the Washington Redskins since Joe Burrow is the Number 1 pick in the draft. Stuff we already knew.

Young is just as much of a lock at 2. It doesn’t really get interesting until Detroit is on the clock at 3.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 01:35 AM)Synric Wrote: I wonder why I cannot find the whole interview anywhere?

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/article240368996.html
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 12:33 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: This is also happening guys:

Bartkowksi and Burrow met at a Davey O’Brien Award event Sunday night in Fort Worth. That’s when Bartkowski, who is in the Falcons’ Ring of Honor, advised Burrow and his family to just say no to Cincinnati.

“They’re Ohio guys,” Bartkowski said. “I might’ve offended them by telling them that, [but] if it’s the Bengals, I think I’d pull an Eli Manning on that one. I said, ‘You’ve got a chance to do that. That’s happened.’ [John] Elway kind of set the tone, then the Mannings delved into it after Eli was picked by San Diego

“I do have leverage,” Burrow said.

Leverage for what? Let’s not all act like we know this guy and what he’s thinking. Fact is, there has been a lot of people in his ear telling him to not come here..... more than those telling him that coming to Cincy would be great for his career. Sure it makes for good news fodder, but I’m starting to get a little uneasy that if people keep spouting the “Avoid Cincy” narrative.........he’s gonna start listening.

For the record.....I hope we select him and he dominates the NFL.

What the hell have the Atlanta freaking Falcons ever won to be telling someone to avoid any other team? Last time I checked they have as many Lombardi’s as we do...

Reply/Quote
Here’s this from someone that actually knows him to counter the other bs...

https://www.tmz.com/2020/02/17/tyrann-mathieu-joe-burrow-lsu-2020-nfl-draft-cincinnati-bengals/

Reply/Quote
Honey Badger doesn’t really say anything about Burrow other than he’d help the Bengals if he went there

I am very curious why Joe is so calculated about not saying something general about not being mad about us drafting him

I understand he won’t say I want the Bengals to draft me in fear of someone else getting him....but he can easily silence all this by saying what his dad and mom have been.

Everything out of Joe sounds pre planned and not positive for us

Hope I’m wrong

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 02:34 AM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: Honey Badger doesn’t really say anything about Burrow other than he’d help the Bengals if he went there

I am very curious why Joe is so calculated about not saying something general about not being mad about us drafting him

I understand he won’t say I want the Bengals to draft me in fear of someone else getting him....but he can easily silence all this by saying what his dad and mom have been.

Everything out of Joe sounds pre planned and not positive for us

Hope I’m wrong

Yes he did. He said knowing Joe, he’s the kind of guy that believes he can “be the guy there” meaning anywhere, even on a bad team.

Reply/Quote
Anyway...unless Joe Burrow himself comes out and says he’s pulling an Eli I’m done worrying about this.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 11:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The optimistic take around here is that Burrow can drag our defunct organization to victory.  It's possible to be optimistic while also admitting flaws that make us the punching bag we are.

I'm not saying we cant win, I'm simply saying that acting so flummoxed the media would badmouth the Mike Brown method is a bit much.

Thrn again I never really had that ravenous fan mentality choosing to be a Bengals fan in Steelers country and not abandoning it around 1991 or so.  I've had decades to shrug and say "Yep your team does have more Super Bowls than we do."  People get so stunned I can admit that without getting all bent out of shape.

But I digress.
That's weak
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 02:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yes he did. He said knowing Joe, he’s the kind of guy that believes he can “be the guy there” meaning anywhere, even on a bad team.

That’s exactly my point....he was guessing. Joe hasn’t told him anything, and that’s just his view of Burrow. It was a general statement or opinion on the situation. I got more from his mom speaking up

Just bothers me he’s mentioning he has leverage. What else would he leverage?

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 03:38 AM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: That’s exactly my point....he was guessing. Joe hasn’t told him anything, and that’s just his view of Burrow. It was a general statement or opinion on the situation. I got more from his mom speaking up

Just bothers me he’s mentioning he has leverage. What else would he leverage?

Who knows, but literally everyone close to him including family and LSU alumni are saying he won’t pull anything. That’s good enough for me.

And he really doesn’t have any leverage. He’s already 23, sitting out an entire year would be very bad for him. Especially with guys like Lawrence and Fields coming out next year.

Reply/Quote
Someone i know - knows someone important - that knows things, but i can't tell what those things are due to confidentiality issues. 

All i can really say is, 'relax'. 

That said, the media will never stop their hate bias for the Bengals. It's really showing now for those that had any doubt.  And it's not just Mike Brown no, they hate the city. 

Reply/Quote