Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me'
(02-17-2020, 06:15 PM)jj22 Wrote: And so it begins all over again....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/17/joe-burrow-on-bengals-if-they-select-me-they-select-me/

Florio's steeler bias is showing a bit of envy here, and I love it.  Things aren't looking to good for piggy and the boys...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 03:20 AM)sandwedge Wrote: That's weak

Meh. Not all of us need this board to be a safe space where everyone's team is #1.
Reply/Quote
Good news we have most stubborn owner in NFL. He's selecting Burrow even if he had a press conference tomorrow saying he wont play for Bengals MB will still draft Burrow. So it's up to Burrow whether he wants to sit out a year
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 06:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: For the 100th time...….He can't say he is happy to be a Bengal until they select him.  How stupid would he sound if he went around saying how happy he was to be going to the Bengals and then end up with another team.

Burrow is saying EXACTLY THE SAME THING that ever potential #1 pick says at this time of year.

Everyone needs to just lighten up.

They're not asking him to commit the Bengals. They're simply asking him if he wants to play for us.  It's not hard to just say, "Yeah, I'd be happy IF the Bengals selected me." As much as you want to complain about the national media, Bengals fans like you are striving so hard to prove that this organization isn't so incompetent that he wouldn't want to play for us.  
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 12:21 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: No kidding. I don't recall any projected #1 pick talking about how happy they'll be to be a __________FILL IN THE BLANK__________. I'm not sure how the League would even look at that. 

The media in this country just make me  Sick

Well, people like Mayfield stated he'd LOVE to play for the Browns. Others like Eli Manning said he wanted traded. Burrow is saying nothing.  
Reply/Quote
Well, if he has reservations playing for the bengals, that's OK too. That's life.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 05:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: “It’s a long process in the next couple of months,” Burrow said. “We have the combine. We have pro days. 

I'd just as soon he skip all of that. He has nothing left to prove to anyone, and only risks injury.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 08:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh. Not all of us need this board to be a safe space where everyone's team is #1.

Not all of us need to have a shtick either...

Gets old, man.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 10:49 AM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: Well, people like Mayfield stated he'd LOVE to play for the Browns. Others like Eli Manning said he wanted traded. Burrow is saying nothing.  

Although Mayfield did say he’d love if the Browns drafted him, he was also lobbying for the first overall pick at the time. If I remember right, Mayfield was like the 3rd or 4th ranked QB in that class but wanted that number 1 pick designation real bad. He would have probably said anything to get it.

Now if Sam Darnold had come out and said he would love to get drafted by the Browns, that would be a better comparison. Even then, Darnold wasn’t coming off the best season a college QB had ever had, so even that comparison would be lacking.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 11:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not all of us need to have a shtick either...

Gets old, man.

Rational objectivity is hardly a "shtick."  Besides, aren't you someone who spends an inordinate amount of time talking about Dalton being trash?  That's hardly optimistic talk.
Reply/Quote
It’s a big difference between answering a question on pulling an “Eli” and wanting to play for a team. Burrow could easily say he won’t pull an “Eli” without hurting his chance with other fan bases.

He specifically won’t, and there is no reason for him to not squash it other than him trying to make a move on us.

I think he’s going to try behind closed doors in hopes to not ruin his reputation in his home state. I think he might settle for us and not go full “Eli”. I do however think something is brewing.

Absolutely no reason he can’t say he won’t pull an “Eli” for whatever team that drafts him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 06:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: That won't help the narrative for those looking for an "I want to play for the Bengals".

Just adds to the there's still time to save me from the Bengals narrative.

Looks like that's the best we are going to get tho.

"if they select me, they select me". Not the most ringing endorsement I'm sure the critical ear will pick up on. Might as well ended it with "it's whatever".

To be fair, why would anyone choose the Bengals over some of the top franchises right now if they had a choice and money was the same?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 11:41 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Rational objectivity is hardly a "shtick."  Besides, aren't you someone who spends an inordinate amount of time talking about Dalton being trash?  That's hardly optimistic talk.

That’s my opinion on one player, not your thing which is clearly playing devils advocate every time someone tries to defend this franchise. In any way. Ever.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 11:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s my opinion on one player, not your thing which is clearly playing devils advocate every time someone tries to defend this franchise. In any way. Ever.

Not exactly.  I find Mike Brown to be willfully and knowingly incompetent and I find that exasperating.  Therefore, whenever a player or media talking head express doubt in Mike Brown I agree with them.  How could sit here and claim Mike Brown isn't trying to win the SB and then get upset when someone else draws the same conclusion?

So either you have way more faith in Mike Brown than I do, or you don't see anything wrong with admitting that Mike Brown is a lazy owner who limits this franchise but you still feel the need to get upset when people point it out for some reason.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 10:48 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: BUrrow needs to marry and have kids next month so he doesnt have any distractions during his tenure as QB for our team.

Looks like someone failed biology in school.  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
This interview happened on yesterday the same day as the one in the OP. Guess it wasn't controversial enough to create headlines.

https://youtu.be/COAjzJ3C3do

Reporter: With the First pick the Cincinnati Bengals select.....?
Joe Burrow: That' not for me to decide it's out of my control.
Reporter: Even for an Ohio Guy?
Joe Burrow: Its up to them, Its up to them.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 12:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Not exactly.  I find Mike Brown to be willfully and knowingly incompetent and I find that exasperating.  Therefore, whenever a player or media talking head express doubt in Mike Brown I agree with them.  How could sit here and claim Mike Brown isn't trying to win the SB and then get upset when someone else draws the same conclusion?

So either you have way more faith in Mike Brown than I do, or you don't see anything wrong with admitting that Mike Brown is a lazy owner who limits this franchise but you still feel the need to get upset when people point it out for some reason.

There’s a middle ground. It doesn’t have to be bash Mike Brown and the Bengals every single post in every single thread every single day.

Is he one of the worst owners in the league? Yes. We all know that. He also gave Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis some pretty damn good teams for a few years there and they couldn’t get us over the hump. That’s not entirely on him.

If a completely average QB like Dalton can take the Mike Brown owned Cincinnati Bengals to the playoffs 5 straight years, there’s no reason to think Burrow couldn’t do the same. And hopefully even more.

Reply/Quote
I haven’t gone through all the posts in this thread so apologies if someone pointed this out here or elsewhere.

Hasn’t burrow been in college 5 years, including a transfer year he sat out? My point is he can’t afford to sit out another year. He will maximize his 5 year rookie contract by going first overall. The sooner he gets through his first contract, the sooner he gets to his second, presumably bigger second contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 12:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There’s a middle ground. It doesn’t have to be bash Mike Brown and the Bengals every single post in every single thread every single day.

Is he one of the worst owners in the league? Yes. We all know that. He also gave Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis some pretty damn good teams for a few years there and they couldn’t get us over the hump. That’s not entirely on him.

If a completely average QB like Dalton can take the Mike Brown owned Cincinnati Bengals to the playoffs 5 straight years, there’s no reason to think Burrow couldn’t do the same. And hopefully even more.

I have faith in Burrow and I think Dalton and Palmer are both a lot better than many Bengals fans will admit.  With that being said, I'm not bashing Mike Brown so much as admitting that I can see why the media is down on the Bengals....we've mostly stunk since he took over and he doesn't seem even remotely interested in changing his middling ways.

As long as people feel the need to act like the big meanie media is picking on poor widdle Mike Brown I feel the need to point out how unreasonable that is.  Fear not, I'll get sick of it eventually.

The main takeaway here is that I have faith in Burrow, but I can also see how the same owner/GM who botched our last "can't miss #1 pick QB" and who almost certainly made sure our steal 2nd round QB in Dalton and awesome WR in Green will never win a playoff game here gets routinely slammed by the media.  It's completely fair.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 12:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I have faith in Burrow and I think Dalton and Palmer are both a lot better than many Bengals fans will admit.  With that being said, I'm not bashing Mike Brown so much as admitting that I can see why the media is down on the Bengals....we've mostly stunk since he took over and he doesn't seem even remotely interested in changing his middling ways.

As long as people feel the need to act like the big meanie media is picking on poor widdle Mike Brown I feel the need to point out how unreasonable that is.  Fear not, I'll get sick of it eventually.

The main takeaway here is that I have faith in Burrow, but I can also see how the same owner/GM who botched our last "can't miss #1 pick QB" and who almost certainly made sure our steal 2nd round QB in Dalton and awesome WR in Green will never win a playoff game here gets routinely slammed by the media.  It's completely fair.

If you can dig up even a fraction of the amount of bs being thrown at us right now from other years where #1 picks were going to bad franchises I might agree with you.

Reply/Quote