Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow Injury
(02-14-2022, 01:56 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Anyone picking on burrow is just completely off base.

Has anyone been sacked as much in the playoffs? In Super Bowl?

Andrew Luck is the lesson from history bengal managnent better take to heart.

I read that seven sacks tied the Super Bowl record.  Burrow just escaped breaking the record by getting that last desperation pass off.
Reply/Quote
What's crazy is 6 of those came in the second half..... It was the worse 2nd half for the Offense all season. Defense did it's job, even with giving up the TD in the end... Offense has to be better in future playoff's.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:45 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Sadly this has been the need for years.

Season ends, "fix the line"

Draft approaches... "But it is a deep OL class we have other needs"

Rinse, and repeat.

It needs to get fixed BEFORE the draft this year.

The past couple of years, we had holes all over.  This year, we have one major one.  We've got the cap space.  Fix it with proven guys.

This may be me being salty and reactionary, but I don't trust Pollack's draft evals one bit.  First round pick on Billy Price?  2nd round pick on Carman who is apparently worse in his mind than Adeniji?  Adeniji makes Cedric Ogbuehi look like Andrew Whitworth.  
Reply/Quote
A lot of times sprains are very painful. He looked very stable out there so nothing is torn.

But yes. Fix the offensive line. Sign a legit guard in FA at the very least. Sign a right tackle. Set yourself up for BPA in the draft and go Cb, oline or pass rush in round 1.
Reply/Quote
The Rams adjusted in the 2nd half, they were in the Superbowl too, they were going to be our toughest opponent. It just seems like an ending boss in final fantasy or something. We were so close, they do say the superbowl losses live with you forever. Of course we won't ever forget this and them either. Maybe if we exited after the raiders win it'd feel different.

I don't feel anything towards "2 or 3 wins", I just want 1 lol. It will be very painful to think about this in 40 years that we almost had this one.

Also are there any free agent OL that we can be looking at? Can we lure any other OL coaches from other teams?

Those short yardage situation problems, our redzone inefficiency in the playoffs, inability to consistently put up points in the 1st half (though this time it was 2nd half!) need some work. They may all be solved just by focusing on the heart of the issue though.

Frankly that game, I don't know who would have won if it went on another 4 quarters. Either both teams were deserving to win or nobody was deserving to win, kind of an odd feeling lol.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:51 AM)Whatever Wrote: It needs to get fixed BEFORE the draft this year.

The past couple of years, we had holes all over.  This year, we have one major one.  We've got the cap space.  Fix it with proven guys.

This may be me being salty and reactionary, but I don't trust Pollack's draft evals one bit.  First round pick on Billy Price?  2nd round pick on Carman who is apparently worse in his mind than Adeniji?  Adeniji makes Cedric Ogbuehi look like Andrew Whitworth.  

I hope they do and I agree that you can't wait till the draft to fix the line.

Most rookie OL take a season or two before they develop into really good players (most not all). So drafting guys to fix the line helps us in 2 seasons not next season. That is why I really wanted them to take it more serious this season and get it built right instead of pushing it off.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:51 AM)Whatever Wrote: It needs to get fixed BEFORE the draft this year.

YES! Burrow deserves some proven talent blocking for him. I am still super happy how far we got, but its disappointing that we didn't go all out in FA to get top OL talent. Reif was a good add, but he's not enough.
Reply/Quote

I still wonder if Mike Brown demanded Carmen? Who else picks a 350 lineman needing back surgery with a 2nd round pick? Pollack didnt seem real enthused with the pick. Sam Cosmi was rated higher and was on the board, Creed Humphrey was available.

Here is one source on the Carmen pick:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-get-mike-browns-guy-an-inside-look-at-their-pursuit-of-jackson-carman
Reply/Quote

I’m highly suspect about Pollack actually wanting Carman. Mike and Duke were apparently reaching out to Alexander on their own about him. And Price was a panic move once Ragnow got snagged ahead of us. I seriously doubt he wanted him either. Completely speculating though.

Reply/Quote
They’ve got to go all in in FA and trades to fix the O-line. Sort of reverse FA of the past couple years. Big spenders on o-line and draft defense. Defense did stellar these playoffs, but will need to infuse some young talent with our guys. Idk who all is available in FA but sign all O-line and I’ll be happy.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:53 AM)pdub2005 Wrote: YES! Burrow deserves some proven talent blocking for him. I am still super happy how far we got, but its disappointing that we didn't go all out in FA to get top OL talent. Reif was a good add, but he's not enough.

Could Whitworth come back? I don't know his contract but he seems like Burrow enough, he's gotta have enough knowledge to help the OL coach out too. I know he's too old, but it helps to mix the old guys with the young guys, it almost worked this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:06 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Could Whitworth come back? I don't know his contract but he seems like Burrow enough, he's gotta have enough knowledge to help the OL coach out too. I know he's too old, but it helps to mix the old guys with the young guys, it almost worked this year.

Not going to lie, I thought about that scenario. I think he’s going to retire though.
Reply/Quote
https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-qb-joe-burrow-says-knee-feels-good-will-get-it-checked-again-in-cincinna?campaign=Twitter_atn

"Burrow said after the loss that he had his knee checked out and would again when the team gets back to Cincinnati, but said the knee "feels good," and there was no chance he would miss the rest of the contest."

Can we all stop with the hysteria now?

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:58 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: They’ve got to go all in in FA and trades to fix the O-line. Sort of reverse FA of the past couple years. Big spenders on o-line and draft defense. Defense did stellar these playoffs, but will need to infuse some young talent with our guys. Idk who all is available in FA but sign all O-line and I’ll be happy.

Agreed. OL in FA, and DB’s in the draft. Spend some big money on Burrow’s protection while he’s on his rookie contract, and draft a CB to replace Apple, and maybe replace Bates if we can’t re-sign him.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Agreed. OL in FA, and DB’s in the draft. Spend some big money on Burrow’s protection while he’s on his rookie contract, and draft a CB to replace Apple, and maybe replace Bates if we can’t re-sign him.

This ^
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:56 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Anyone picking on burrow is just completely off base.

Has anyone been sacked as much in the playoffs? In Super Bowl?

Andrew Luck is the lesson from history bengal managnent better take to heart.

I read somewhere that he absolutely smashed the record. Prior to this year, the record for getting sacked in the postseason was 12. Burrow went down 20 times.

Like I said in the game day thread; what the hell are the coaches doing to not try and scheme around it. If the OL simply can't block, move to slants, screens and rapid passing. We never seemed to.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Facepalm

He wasn’t even limping once he came back out. Sprain at absolute worst. And I doubt even that as well as he was moving on it.

It looked really bad when it happened. But if it was torn he would not be out there a few minutes later ready to play.

If this online isn’t fixed asap we will not have him long either due to him leaving or god forbid to injury.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:06 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Could Whitworth come back? I don't know his contract but he seems like Burrow enough, he's gotta have enough knowledge to help the OL coach out too. I know he's too old, but it helps to mix the old guys with the young guys, it almost worked this year.

Agreed. They need to sack the o line coaches, too.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:52 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: We were so close, they do say the superbowl losses live with you forever. Of course we won't ever forget this and them either. Maybe if we exited after the raiders win it'd feel different.

I can attest that the close losses stay forever. 

My way of coping is to reduce my investment, so the pain in the future is not so bad. At this point, losing during the season and looking forward to draft picks is a not more enjoyable than yet a third loss in the Super Bowl. 

Sleepless night and supposed to work today. Hope I don't lash out at my bass when he says "great game."
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Facepalm

He wasn’t even limping once he came back out. Sprain at absolute worst. And I doubt even that as well as he was moving on it.

This.

Although it was so weird to see him on the ground grimacing to running onto the field again w zero apparent issues.

No way a serious knee injury just is masked by Adrenaline.

He was also examined on the bench.

He’s fine.
Reply/Quote