Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Burrow Proved Himself
I admit, after his third interception I was ready to put my TV through my window, yet just five minutes later I saw it. A finely placed post route to Chase. Then a surgical strike to Huggins.

Burrow ate shit yet rebounded with two quick TD throws. He didn't wilt, or act like he was dinged up to get out of having to go back out there. He stepped up even though he knew as much as anyone that this may be his worst performance of his life.

I really believe, no matter how we feel now, that this past Sunday (9/19) will be a defining moment in the career of Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:16 AM)JumboTron Wrote: I admit, after his third interception I was ready to put my TV through my window, yet just five minutes later I saw it.  A finely placed post route to Chase.  Then a surgical strike to Huggins.  

Burrow ate shit yet rebounded with two quick TD throws.  He didn't wilt, or act like he was dinged up to get out of having to go back out there.  He stepped up even though he knew as much as anyone that this may be his worst performance of his life.

I really believe, no matter how we feel now, that this past Sunday (9/19) will be a defining moment in the career of Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
He’s got heart alright, I love the kid.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:09 AM)wanga Wrote: He’s got heart alright, I love the kid.

Exactly!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow is everything you need to win in a QB. He's got confidence, accuracy, mobility (or, at least, he did before his injury. He was a little statuesque yesterday), vision and intelligence.

If he could gain some consistency on his deep ball, he'd be the perfect QB, imo.

Hopefully, this is a turning point in his career as you said.
Reply/Quote
I think Burrow's problems this season are two-fold:

1) Playcalling. Whatever the reasons for it, Zac's playcalling this year has been stale, at best. Maybe to protect Burrow, maybe to get Mixon more involved, no matter the reason, it's CLEARLY not working and affecting Burro's play on the field.

2) Mental issues. I think Burrow is by and large recovered physcially. But, mentally, he's clearly having some issues. 2 of those INTs were from staring down receivers and i don't remember Burrow doing that last year. Also, I didn't realize it til someone pointed it out in the GameDay thread yesterday, but Burrow is NOT moving in the pocket. His mobility doesn't seem to be there and I don't think it's a physical issue, but rather a mental one.

The good news is that Burrow was a guy who would work tirelessly on his issues to correc them and I see no reason he won't do the same this year.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:33 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I think Burrow's problems this season are two-fold:

1) Playcalling. Whatever the reasons for it, Zac's playcalling this year has been stale, at best. Maybe to protect Burrow, maybe to get Mixon more involved, no matter the reason, it's CLEARLY not working and affecting Burro's play on the field.

2) Mental issues. I think Burrow is by and large recovered physcially. But, mentally, he's clearly having some issues. 2 of those INTs were from staring down receivers and i don't remember Burrow doing that last year. Also, I didn't realize it til someone pointed it out in the GameDay thread yesterday, but Burrow is NOT moving in the pocket. His mobility doesn't seem to be there and I don't think it's a physical issue, but rather a mental one.

The good news is that Burrow was a guy who would work tirelessly on his issues to correc them and I see no reason he won't do the same this year.

I don't think it is all mental.  He looks physically slow in the pocket, not like it is just a mental block.  That part of his game may not come back until 2022.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:37 AM)RiverRat13 Wrote: I don't think it is all mental.  He looks physically slow in the pocket, not like it is just a mental block.  That part of his game may not come back until 2022.

Right. There were several times he could have easily run out of the pocket to avoid the sack, but stayed there. Not sure if that mental, physical, but probably both.
Reply/Quote
Uhh I guess that's one way to look at it?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:16 AM)JumboTron Wrote: I admit, after his third interception I was ready to put my TV through my window, yet just five minutes later I saw it.  A finely placed post route to Chase.  Then a surgical strike to Huggins.  

Burrow ate shit yet rebounded with two quick TD throws.  He didn't wilt, or act like he was dinged up to get out of having to go back out there.  He stepped up even though he knew as much as anyone that this may be his worst performance of his life.

this past sunday will be one he wants to forget.
Reply/Quote
I’ve noticed a lot of Bengals fans like Burrow so much that we are very soft on him sometimes. It’s okay to be critical of Burrow and still believe in his ability going forward. The reason that Cincinnati lost yesterday is because of Burrow. You can blame playcalling but Burrow threw those two awful interceptions. You can blame the coaches all you want but players play the game and Burrow made two backbreaking mistakes. The third interception was a combination of Burrow and OL but I’d say more OL than Burrow.

All of this okay. He is still young and coming off of a tough injury. He will learn and I still believe in the guy. He also almost brought us back yesterday, coupled with the defense. However, they lost because of him.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:52 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’ve noticed a lot of Bengals fans like Burrow so much that we are very soft on him sometimes. It’s okay to be critical of Burrow and still believe in his ability going forward. The reason that Cincinnati lost yesterday is because of Burrow. You can blame playcalling but Burrow threw those two awful interceptions. You can blame the coaches all you want but players play the game and Burrow made two backbreaking mistakes. The third interception was a combination of Burrow and OL but I’d say more OL than Burrow.

All of this okay. He is still young and coming off of a tough injury. He will learn and I still believe in the guy. He also almost brought us back yesterday, coupled with the defense. However, they lost because of him.

The head coach has a responsibility to put players in the best position to succeed and it appears Zac fails miserably at this charge.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:55 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The head coach has a responsibility to put players in the best position to succeed and it appears Zac fails miserably at this charge.

I’m not denying that, but players play the game. Zac didn’t cause Burrow to throw those interceptions. The coaches certainly share blame, I am no fan of this coaching staff, but what happens on the field is all the players.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:52 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’ve noticed a lot of Bengals fans like Burrow so much that we are very soft on him sometimes. It’s okay to be critical of Burrow and still believe in his ability going forward. The reason that Cincinnati lost yesterday is because of Burrow. You can blame playcalling but Burrow threw those two awful interceptions. You can blame the coaches all you want but players play the game and Burrow made two backbreaking mistakes. The third interception was a combination of Burrow and OL but I’d say more OL than Burrow.

Burrow blew it, but he's just another 1st overall pick drafted by a franchise with long-term issues and he's put in a position where he's got to play "hero ball" and you win some and you lose some when you play that game.  I know Burrow isn't a rookie, nor "technically a rookie" but this week was a fine example of QBs with 1-10 or so games under their belts throwing picks like mad, a few nice TDs in there, and generally taking their lumps.

You've got Burrow, Herbert, Zach Wilson, and Lawrence out there playing feast or famine football for their underachieving franchises.  You have Mac Jones and Sam Darnold being put in the position to just not make too many mistakes and win week in and week out, and Matt Stafford who had to play a decade or more of desperation football but is now in a spot where he feels like he's died and gone to heaven with all the support he has.  
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:01 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’m not denying that, but players play the game. Zac didn’t cause Burrow to throw those interceptions. The coaches certainly share blame, I am no fan of this coaching staff, but what happens on the field is all the players.

Burrow definitely has some of the blame for the INTs and some of the sacks.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:01 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’m not denying that, but players play the game. Zac didn’t cause Burrow to throw those interceptions. The coaches certainly share blame, I am no fan of this coaching staff, but what happens on the field is all the players.

The players play the game based on the plan and plays called by the coaches.  If the coaches design an awful plan/play, that's on them regardless if the players execute it well or not.  The scheme was terrible from start to finish.  They didn't try to stretch the field until down 3 scores in the 4th and they never changed the tempo.  The LA Rams literally gave the Bengals the blueprint to beat the Bears (by stretching the field) the week before and it was never even a thought until the end of the 4th quarter.  
Reply/Quote
Chase bailed him out on the deep throw IMO.
Reply/Quote

This is a good post. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:11 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Chase bailed him out on the deep throw IMO.

Agree. Ball was under thrown but Chase's deep ball tracking is elite. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:39 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Right. There were several times he could have easily run out of the pocket to avoid the sack, but stayed there. Not sure if that mental, physical, but probably both.

Again, back in a thread where everyone thought Joe was going to 100% when he took the field in September, I said this kid will still have mental blocks.  You won't see him at his best until the 2nd half of this season. 

You sure as hell aren't going to see him run this season.  That's one aspect defenses don't have to worry about this season like they did last year.  Burrows going to stand in the pocket and pick apart defenses or he's going to get sacked all day. 

There's going to be no designed runs.  No RPO's because he can't with the brace on his knee and coming off ACL surgery. 

So the play book is going to be so much more limited compared to last year in my opinion and I think you're seeing that now.  

Teams at least last year respected Burrow could take off with the ball at any time.  This year they don't have that concern.  
Reply/Quote