Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow's first 2 games: 'making his own mark in the NFL'
(09-18-2020, 01:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: Wow.... that's even rarer air than I initially thought. I'm old enough to remember Peyton's rookie year, he sure served up a bunch of picks, but that team was maybe worse than ours. 

Some will say, "What about Mahomes?!"

Mahomes only played 1 game his rookie year, of which was 284 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT.
His first full year as a starter, he had 5097 yards, 50 TDs, just 12 INTs. 2 rushing TDs.

So if you go off that, Mahomes had the greatest first full year as a starter.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Some will say, "What about Mahomes?!"

Mahomes only played 1 game his rookie year, of which was 284 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT.
His first full year as a starter, he had 5097 yards, 50 TDs, just 12 INTs. 2 rushing TDs.

So if you go off that, Mahomes had the greatest first full year as a starter.

You can’t go off that though. Lamar had an MVP year his first full season too, but not being rushed in is an advantage, so therefore it wouldn’t really be fair to count it.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You can’t go off that though. Lamar had an MVP year his first full season too, but not being rushed in is an advantage, so therefore it wouldn’t really be fair to count it.

Plus, both those guys joined winning teams.

The Chiefs were coming off of 12-4 when they drafted Mahomes, and the Ravens were coming off of 9-7 when they drafted Jackson. 

Getting a year to learn, and joining a winning franchise are huge advantages most of these guys in these discussions didn't enjoy.

Manning, Luck, Newton, Burrow, etc. all joined dumpster fires of rosters and were thrust into play immediately.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You can’t go off that though. Lamar had an MVP year his first full season too, but not being rushed in is an advantage, so therefore it wouldn’t really be fair to count it.

I agree with you, but some might disagree. I was simply sharing for those who may consider first full season starting as their first year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:17 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: 'There aren't many quarterbacks that have started their career as Joe Burrow has through his first two games. Sure the Cincinnati Bengals are 0-2, but that's not the fault of Burrow -- not even close. Burrow had a historic game for the Bengals in his primetime debut, showcasing why he is the franchise quarterback and living up to the reputation of the No. 1 overall pick. Burrow finished 37 of 61 for 316 yards with three touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Bengals' 35-30 defeat to the Cleveland Browns Thursday night, but that's just the beginning of the historic night for the rookie quarterback. 

Burrow became the first rookie quarterback in NFL history to throw 60+ passes in a game and have zero interceptions and just the 10th quarterback ever to accomplish the feat -- joining the likes of Ben Roethlisberger (who actually did it twice), Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck. He's just the fourth quarterback on the elite list to throw for three touchdowns.

Burrow is just one of 11 quarterbacks in league history to throw for three touchdowns and rush for one touchdown in his first two career games, and the eighth quarterback to accomplish the feat since the merger. 

This is all with no preseason, no offseason minicamp, and a limited training camp.

The Bengals have a bright future ahead of them, even though the record doesn't indicate as such. Burrow is living up to the hype that has surrounded him since he rewrote the record books at LSU last year. And now he is making his own mark in the NFL.'

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/joe-burrow-may-not-be-satisfied-after-historic-first-two-games-but-the-numbers-speak-for-themselves/

First game nope.. Second game very happy with.. still a major weak link after two games is being able to throw down field and be accurrate. Still rookie with alot of promise  Side Note.. Dalton was excellent as a rookie first two games.. 105 passing rating, 3 TDS no turnovers.. Dalton became a solid QB in the NFL but we need more than that from our #1 pick.. too early to know if he will be the franchise QB we need or a solid QB
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:59 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: First game nope.. Second game very happy with.. still a major weak link after two games is being able to throw down field and be accurrate. Still rookie with alot of promise   Side Note.. Dalton was excellent as a rookie first two games.. 105 passing rating, 3 TDS no turnovers.. Dalton became a solid QB in the NFL but we need more than that from our #1 pick.. too early to know if he will be the franchise QB we need or a solid QB

Burrow doesn't have the arm heard it from 3 analysts today. So we didnt draft a gun slinger. we drafted a game manager.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 05:20 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Burrow doesn't have the arm heard it from 3 analysts today. So we didnt draft a gun slinger. we drafted a game manager.

5600+ yds and 60 TD’s playing in the SEC (where many CB’s make the NFL) is a game manager now!

Do you really believe this stuff you’re saying, or have you just chosen a really odd hill to die on?

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 05:20 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Burrow doesn't have the arm heard it from 3 analysts today. So we didnt draft a gun slinger. we drafted a game manager.

I call B.S.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:23 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Love what I've seen with Burrow so far. I wasn't even getting angry for some of the mistakes he made because I chock it up to learning. We know he's a rook and will make these mistakes. He's going to be great.

That's what's keeping me going lol
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 05:35 PM)Synric Wrote: I call B.S.

Probably the same analysts that convinced him Wentz “lit the league on fire” as a rookie...

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 05:35 PM)Synric Wrote: I call B.S.

want more proof his arm strength is slightly below average. equivalent to mitch trubisky and  dwayne haskins.

https://medium.com/@thetim_dix/nfl-draft-how-strong-is-joe-burrows-arm-b69abd897399
Reply/Quote
I’m not clicking any strange links. Someone let me know how informative that is please...I can’t wait lol

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 05:40 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: want more proof his arm strength is slightly below average. equivalent to mitch trubisky and  dwayne haskins.

https://medium.com/@thetim_dix/nfl-draft-how-strong-is-joe-burrows-arm-b69abd897399

That's not a real analyst and it's from April so you definitely didnt hear it "Today".
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 05:48 PM)Synric Wrote: That's not a real analyst and it's from April so you definitely didnt hear it "Today".

I’m shocked. Lol

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 05:48 PM)Synric Wrote: That's not a real analyst and it's from April so you definitely didnt hear it "Today".

No I heard it from 3 analysts today. What I gave you was the scientific proof. The positives are extremely smart and processes information faster than most of the league. but the arm strength puts a ceiling on potential. Means he cant carry the team.  He could win a SB on a talent rich team like 49ers last season. We will more than likely never have that here and we have no chance with Zac Taylor controlling the game plan
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Pretty much sums up what Burrow's dealing with right now (an insane 19 pressures per game average Mellow):

What is even worse about that stat is the teams that put up the pressures on the others on the lists will play us.

Steelers vs Giants 
Redskins vs Eagles
And vice versa of the above, we also get the Eagles.

Only team we dodge is the Bills who went after the Jets.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
How good burrow was lastnight can't be overstated.

A rookie with no preseason and no online under constant pressure.

And looked AMAZING.

Everyone that cares about pro football took notice and has to take this team seriously moving forward.

This may not be our year but this kids the real deal and if they can build a team around him the Bengals will be a power in the ACF.

We lost on the scoreboard yesterday but Burrow earned this team some respect.
Reply/Quote
Colin Cowherd and the (very few) talking heads that weren’t on the Burrow bandwagon finally come around and admit to being super impressed with him yet we have to listen to our own fans dogging the kid after a 300 yds 3 TD 0 INT game....

2020 just keeps getting wackier and wackier.

Reply/Quote
Give us Mahomes and Reid we are instantly a SB contender this season. We need a 2015 roster around Burrow just to make playoffs. Hope I'm wrong analytics says I'm not
Reply/Quote
The deep ball passes need to improve (I wonder if having pressure in his face constantly plays a hand in that), and he's taking his lumps with rookie mistakes, but otherwise I don't know how you walk away from the last two games unimpressed.  Kid's got moxy.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote