Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow's first 2 games: 'making his own mark in the NFL'
(09-19-2020, 08:18 PM)Joelist Wrote: Can we stop this?

Burrow has been okay his first two games. Rookie mistakes yes but the poor scheme and atrocious blocking especially on the right side has created big problems - it's hard to throw deep when you have to get rid of the ball before the play can actually develop. If you are trying to draw parallels a better one might be that - just like last year and indeed every season since 2015 - our OL problems are scuttling any ability for us to be dynamic in the passing game.

^^^ This... And some people owe the last guy an apology. I'm glad he's gone, he's glad he's gone, and most of us are happy Joe Burrow is a Bengal, but there isn't a QB in the league that would have great success under the circumstances of the last four plus seasons.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 07:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Did you say the same after Dalton's first two games.. he had 105 passer rating, 3 TDS, no turnovers.. sacked 5 times with pressure.. 1-1 record... I assume you did not think he was going to be a game manager either.. correct ?

I thought Dalton was a good QB. I was and still am a fan. Dalton was pretty good until the line went to shit. I hated to see him go, but it's the Burrow era now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 05:40 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: want more proof his arm strength is slightly below average. equivalent to mitch trubisky and  dwayne haskins.

https://medium.com/@thetim_dix/nfl-draft-how-strong-is-joe-burrows-arm-b69abd897399

You should read the articles you post.

" His arm isn’t mind-blowing, but it’s also not a concern. Burrow’s greatest asset, as we’ll see in the trigger time section, is his mental processing."

"And it’s this trait that makes Joe Burrow absolutely special."

"His visual processing speed is unlike any quarterback’s I’ve ever seen."

1) Joe Burrow

Situation is everything, but Burrow has all the tools needed to succeed at the next level. It’s not mentioned in this analysis, but his mobility is also a huge asset. Combined with his quick decision making, this can get him out of trouble and keep the defense honest. Tucking the ball and rushing for seven and eight yard chunks was a big part of LSU’s success in 2020.
Now, I hate to make comparisons to all-time greats because it implies a similar career trajectory, but — when talking about vision, biomechanics, and physical abilities — Joe Burrow’s game really does have shades of Joe Montana’s. It’s uncanny, actually. Again, situation is everything. Montana probably doesn’t win four rings without Bill Walsh and Jerry Rice involved. I’m certainly not saying I expect that from Burrow. But the comparison is not unfounded.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 07:48 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And I can say it is also obvious that some believe Burrow has done nothing wrong in two games.. and if you measure best player by his 1st game performance.. that is a low bar.. Dalton has outperformed Burrow in his first two games as a rookie .. i believe a 105 passing rating.. 3 TDs .. zero turnovers also sacked 5 times and being pressured.. I don;t think we gave him near the fanfare we are giving Burrow after two games.. 

(09-19-2020, 07:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Did you say the same after Dalton's first two games.. he had 105 passer rating, 3 TDS, no turnovers.. sacked 5 times with pressure.. 1-1 record... I assume you did not think he was going to be a game manager either.. correct ?

Homie loves him some Dalton. 

In case you didn't know, he's in Dallas now. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I'm glad he is doing so well so fast, it gives me a ton of confidence for him right away, you never really know how it's going to go until they actually play. As long as something is done to address the fundamentals of needing the Oline to block for your franchise QB and the defense turns it around I think the future is very bright for the Bengals over the next few years.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 08:09 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: As someone who was always a fan and supporter of Andy's...I'm not sure I would go down the comparison road after 2 games because the next 2 games of Andy's rookie season, he completed just over 51% of his passes, with 1 td and 4 int's, and a QBR in the low 60's. Are you still gonna be comparing the them after week 4 if Burrow's numbers are better?

And he produced 6 games of a 65 rating or lower that year. That's a 38% clip. If Burrow does that, even with this team, there's a problem. 

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 11:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Homie loves him some Dalton. 

He came in an threw a pass today 0/1 39.6 rating Tongue

Reply/Quote
To be fair Tom Brady is shit at throwing down field imo, then again he had a HoF coach and system to play in his whole career.

Oooh Rfaulk, Montana is another great QB that didn’t have a cannon for an arm, but definitely had all the IT and moxie in the world.
Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1308047344290717696
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 08:00 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: To be fair Tom Brady is shit at throwing down field imo, then again he had a HoF coach and system to play in his whole career.

Oooh Rfaulk, Montana is another great QB that didn’t have a cannon for an arm, but definitely had all the IT and moxie in the world.

Montana confirmed to be a robot, since he has IT to feed him information.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Montana had Jerry Rice you can make a case he was greatest football player ever. Today is a different era Im not sure a in his prime Montana is top 5 right now. Brady and Montana had top 5 coaches of all time. We have 2-18 Zac Taylor. If Burrow is to start winning here his deep ball accuracy needs to improve and quickly.
Reply/Quote
I can't help but think that coaching has something to do with the problems in our passing game.

No matter how much you like or hate Dalton you have to admit that the drop off from 2018 to 2019 was dramatic. I can't believe he forgot how to play QB in just a few months between those two seasons. And Dalton had played with weak O-lines before. So I don't think we can blame it all on that.

If we don't have a passing scheme that creates mismatches in coverage or gets our receivers open then NO QUARTERBACK is going to look very good.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I can't help but think that coaching has something to do with the problems in our passing game.

No matter how much you like or hate Dalton you have to admit that the drop off from 2018 to 2019 was dramatic. I can't believe he forgot how to play QB in just a few months between those two seasons. And Dalton had played with weak O-lines before. So I don't think we can blame it all on that.

If we don't have a passing scheme that creates mismatches in coverage or gets our receivers open then NO QUARTERBACK is going to look very good.

I think his age and injuries caught up to him. He injured his thumb in 2018 and I don’t think his passes came out quite the same since. His mobility got worse as he got older and with the now terrible protection it was hard for him to deal with.

Burrow and Dalton are not so different but Burrow is bounds better in mobility. Both still getting killed back there on certain plays but there are a few where Burrow has been able to slide around that I don’t think Andy would’ve done the same.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:23 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Love what I've seen with Burrow so far. I wasn't even getting angry for some of the mistakes he made because I chock it up to learning. We know he's a rook and will make these mistakes. He's going to be great.

Realistically he cleans up those few rookie mistakes we are probably 2-0, hah! The what-if games we play as losers but still, he's definitely making some rookie mistakes that are turning games the wrong way, he doesn't make those couple rookie errors and we got ball game.

As junk as this team looks overall we are performing better than last year regardless of record, because of Joe B I think.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:17 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: 'There aren't many quarterbacks that have started their career as Joe Burrow has through his first two games. Sure the Cincinnati Bengals are 0-2, but that's not the fault of Burrow -- not even close. Burrow had a historic game for the Bengals in his primetime debut, showcasing why he is the franchise quarterback and living up to the reputation of the No. 1 overall pick. Burrow finished 37 of 61 for 316 yards with three touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Bengals' 35-30 defeat to the Cleveland Browns Thursday night, but that's just the beginning of the historic night for the rookie quarterback. 

Burrow became the first rookie quarterback in NFL history to throw 60+ passes in a game and have zero interceptions and just the 10th quarterback ever to accomplish the feat -- joining the likes of Ben Roethlisberger (who actually did it twice), Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck. He's just the fourth quarterback on the elite list to throw for three touchdowns.

Burrow is just one of 11 quarterbacks in league history to throw for three touchdowns and rush for one touchdown in his first two career games, and the eighth quarterback to accomplish the feat since the merger. 

This is all with no preseason, no offseason minicamp, and a limited training camp.

The Bengals have a bright future ahead of them, even though the record doesn't indicate as such. Burrow is living up to the hype that has surrounded him since he rewrote the record books at LSU last year. And now he is making his own mark in the NFL.'

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/joe-burrow-may-not-be-satisfied-after-historic-first-two-games-but-the-numbers-speak-for-themselves/

We will be alright with Burrow at the helm. He shines the brightest when the lights come on.

Just need to get the O-line tough and the D good again and we will be a SB contender. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 11:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Homie loves him some Dalton. 

Love how we ignore facts.. but then again that is what people loved to do with Dalton and seems like they are doing the same with Burrow but in the opposite way.. hmmm... Homie loves with some Burrow i guess   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 11:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Love how we ignore facts.. but then again that is what people loved to do with Dalton and seems like they are doing the same with Burrow but in the opposite way.. hmmm... Homie loves with some Burrow i guess   Hilarious

You are talking out of your ass now. I'm not sure what you are referencing...but you must be thinking of someone else. 

Reply/Quote
I think what he is referring to is the interesting difference in the reactions of the anti-Andy gang to what we are seeing this season versus last season. Last season it was blame Andy and avoid in all possible ways noting the OL issues, scheme issues and inability of the receivers to get separation. This season they suddenly note these factors while holding Burrow blameless, assigning the mistakes to being a rookie.

Meanwhile the "pro-Andy" posters (which really did not exist per say) have noted these issues both this season AND the previous ones. They also are fine with Burrow and attribute the gaffes to being a rookie.

How about we all just agree that Burrow is doing okay but the persistent issues with the OL, scheme and play of some of the receivers are torpedoing the offense just like they have the past 3-4 years.
Reply/Quote
IDK why ppl are bringing up Dalton. I think he was a really good player and a really good person. I just don't think that it matters what he did, even in his rookie year. This is a totally different team from head to toe. Burrow has been outstanding, and it looks like he'll be a better QB than Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 12:01 AM)Joelist Wrote: I think what he is referring to is the interesting difference in the reactions of the anti-Andy gang to what we are seeing this season versus last season. Last season it was blame Andy and avoid in all possible ways noting the OL issues, scheme issues and inability of the receivers to get separation. This season they suddenly note these factors while holding Burrow blameless, assigning the mistakes to being a rookie.

Meanwhile the "pro-Andy" posters (which really did not exist per say) have noted these issues both this season AND the previous ones. They also are fine with Burrow and attribute the gaffes to being a rookie.

How about we all just agree that Burrow is doing okay but the persistent issues with the OL, scheme and play of some of the receivers are torpedoing the offense just like they have the past 3-4 years.

The bold could not be more false. Absolutely no one denied the OL and coaching was bad last year (people wanted Taylor fired, Hart cut, etc). That doesn’t absolve a 9 year vet for being as bad as he was though.

It was just time to move on at QB. I wish our fans would do the same.

Reply/Quote