Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow's first year end is almost here
(10-11-2021, 03:01 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: for me, it's the Bills

Yep.

I said before they picked Allen . . . "I really like what they're doing in Buffalo".

Start building your team before getting your QB.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 09:51 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: This is my line of thought too. I've firmly been in the we need to move on from taylor camp, but Burrow had 2 terrible picks and a bad decision diving on that run. Burrow is not infallible and he played a big part in the loss. 

That 1st pick was a straight up momentum killer too coming off of chases big td and sacking Rodgers right before the half. 

That pick Burrow had while targeting Tyler Boyd wasn’t really Burrows fault.Boyd stopped on the route,which he’s supposed to do for a fraction of a second,and then break out and continue.They ran that very same play against Jacksonville and were successful.Higgins flat out dropped a perfect pass on a play that could have been a game changer.Running Perine on 3 and 5 while trying to get closer for the upcoming field goal to score the game winner? Should have thrown,and try to get a first down.When the game is on the line I want the ball in Burrows hands.Trust him more than Perine,or a rookie kicker.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 06:50 PM)Joelist Wrote: Next game will be the 16th start for Joe Burrow, and hence sort of the "end of his first season". So, where does he sit right now so to speak?

On the good side, he has leadership skills and is football smart and has toughness. He has excellent accuracy when on and enough arm power to get the job done - he can make the throws. He also has some mobility.

On the bad side. His decision making is not where it needs to be yet - this is probably the single biggest "needs to improve". He is still holding the ball too long at times (but it is getting a little better). His pocket awareness is getting better but needs to improve, and he needs not to just immobile in the pocket so much.

For a #1OA franchise QB completing Year One this is probably close to normal - yes I REALLY wish he was developing faster but he is also being hampered to some extent by Zac's weird schemes and bad play designs. He has things to improve on and we have to hope he is receiving the kind of QB coaching a 1OA merits.

Record: 5-9-1
67% completion
3957 passing yards
24 pass TDs
11 INTs
166 rushing yards
3 rush TDs

That's pretty good for a QB's first 15 games.
He'll end up passing 4000 yards and probably break 25 pass TDs after next game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 06:30 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: That pick Burrow had while targeting Tyler Boyd wasn’t really Burrows fault.Boyd stopped on the route,which he’s supposed to do for a fraction of a second,and then break out and continue.They ran that very same play against Jacksonville and were successful.Higgins flat out dropped a perfect pass on a play that could have been a game changer.Running Perine on 3 and 5 while trying to get closer for the upcoming field goal to score the game winner? Should have thrown,and try to get a first down.When the game is on the line I want the ball in Burrows hands.Trust him more than Perine,or a rookie kicker.

I'm not justifying using Perine, but it is interesting that Perine's rushing average is 4.4 this season, which is actually higher than Mixon's. And he only has a long rush of 13 yards, so it's not like he boosted his YPC from a really long run or two.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 07:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: We have not attacked the middle of the field downfield much at all this year. Today we attempted 0 passes between the hash marks beyond 10 yards down field. That is not good, it limits a lot of explosive plays if you won’t attack MOFO.

Curious to see where Burrows INTS occur.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 06:41 AM)Tony Wrote: It took me a while, but Herbert is definitely better. I don't think it's close either. Joe has thrown a lot of ints this year. Top tier QBs don't do that. He stalls with this offense way more than Herbert does too. Herbert is just way more consistent at this point too.. 
I still think Burrow can be a good starter for us. 

While Herbert does have all the 'tools,' Burrow isn't a slouch when it comes to arm strength and athletic ability. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were considerably less gifted than Rodgers, but still have had two of the greatest careers EVER. Supremely gifted QBs routinely flame out, it matters what you do with the gifts you are given. I am not saying Burrow will be Brady, but to sit there and say, as several have on this thread, that Burrow cannot be elite is baseless. He does need to be more selective with his throws. He is trying to make plays when there isn't one there. He just needs to learn when to take a sack or throw it away. I don't see a single physical thing that Burrow does that would hold him back from being great. It really just comes down to him learning from his mistakes.
Reply/Quote
Only reason people say Herbert is better is because he didn’t get injured last year.

Nobody is saying shit if Burrow’s knee doesn’t get destroyed
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 08:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, Herbert really hit the ground running and he's already on his 2nd HC in his short tenure.  The first QB off the board always has the curse of being compared to every other QB in his class plus "a buncha picks they coulda had if they traded down and took him."  Heavy is the head that holds the crown, and all that.

They seem pretty comparable. And Justin Herbert is on a better team. They’ve got similar passer ratings. Herbert has more passing yards but Burrow’s completion percentage is 4 percentage points higher. It’s weird, mainly Bengals fans are the only ones who are hard on Burrow. Everyone else loves him. 
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 10:55 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: They seem pretty comparable. And Justin Herbert is on a better team. They’ve got similar passer ratings. Herbert has more passing yards but Burrow’s completion percentage is 4 percentage points higher. It’s weird, mainly Bengals fans are the only ones who are hard on Burrow. Everyone else loves him. 

Burrow’s passer rating is currently 9+ points higher than Herberts
Reply/Quote
Herbert face planted today against the Rats - hopefully our D does its job and next week Burrow has a signature game.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 11:03 PM)Joelist Wrote: Herbert face planted today against the Rats - hopefully our D does its job and next week Burrow has a signature game.

With no offense to Herbert, who I think is amazing, but he never had to face a defense like the Ravens.  They throw things at you other teams just can't do. Today showed how much of a rude awakening it was when he did.  
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 11:09 PM)MickMack Wrote: With no offense to Herbert, who I think is amazing, but he never had to face a defense like the Ravens.  They throw things at you other teams just can't do. Today showed how much of a rude awakening it was when he did.  

Last year in Burrows first 10 games he faced the number 2, 3, and 4 best defenses in the league last year. 
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 09:56 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Only reason people say Herbert is better is because he didn’t get injured last year.

Herbert was better, even when Joe was healthy. There’s no debate. I do think in the long run, Burrow is going to be better. Maybe as soon as this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 07:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: You don't think it has anything to do with the offensive game plan?  Nervous

No. He hates Burrow with a deep burning passion. He will never be good enough. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 11:35 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Herbert was better, even when Joe was healthy. There’s no debate. I do think in the long run, Burrow is going to be better. Maybe as soon as this year.

In the context of what burrow was dealing with(crap o-line with zero running game and having to sling it almost every down) burrow was playing as well as a qb can

And he still most likely would’ve won rookie of the year

Wasn’t he on pace to have the most attempts and completions in a single season?
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 12:02 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: In the context of what burrow was dealing with(crap o-line with zero running game and having to sling it almost every down) burrow was playing as well as a qb can

And he still most likely would’ve won rookie of the year

Wasn’t he on pace to have the most attempts and completions in a single season?

Burrow wasn’t going to win ROTY. Herbert had a significantly better rating, higher TD%, higher comp %, higher YPA, more YPG and was also dealing with a piss poor offensive line. He was really good for a rookie.

Burrow is playing out of his mind this season, though, minus the interceptions. If Burrow cuts those down, he will flat out he an elite QB.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 12:19 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Burrow wasn’t going to win ROTY. Herbert had a significantly better rating, higher TD%, higher comp %, higher YPA, more YPG and was also dealing with a piss poor offensive line. He was really good for a rookie.

Burrow is playing out of his mind this season, though, minus the interceptions. If Burrow cuts those down, he will flat out he an elite QB.

Even with the interceptions, he’s still top 10 in passer rating, completion %, yards per completion, and touchdown %

And it’s only his second year
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 09:56 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Only reason people say Herbert is better is because he didn’t get injured last year.

Agreed. The hype around them seemed equal before Burrow went down. There was a lot or talk around how many 300 yard games Burrow had.

I'm definitely not a blind homer and I pride myself on keeping it 100. Burrow is the QB I'd rather have. Somebody posted their stats on mid-range passes, and Burrow is destroying him in that category. Deep passing is almost identical.

Herbert has been better on short throws and the Chargers call a lot more of them. Despite getting more easy, high % throws, Burrow still has a higher overall completion rate. That's telling. Burrow is better.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote