Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow's first year end is almost here
(10-10-2021, 08:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The positive is the Defense is good, this was a great test for them and they played well.

The negative is Taylor and Callahan no question about it. Burrow just needs to throw the ball away.

Needless interceptions killed us. The nice part is we are young and we can learn, at least the players can.

Almost thinking Taylor and Callahan can't learn anymore. Being young dogs and all baffles me.
Did they really play that well.  We gave up 380 to Rodgers. They had  lose to 150 rush yards.. That not that good of defense to me lol. Maybe bend but don't break or just plain lucky.. I don't think the defense is as good as people are saying.. They are better than last year, but that's not saying much..
Reply/Quote
Burrow currently has a higher passer rating (106.4) than Hebert (104.7), and only has 2 less TD’s. And that’s with Taylor basically saddling him with training wheels through the first handful of games.

Sure, he needs to clean up the INT’s, but it’s silly to suggest elite QB’s don’t throw picks. Patrick Mahomes has already thrown 6 this year (same as Burrow). And something tells me that guy is going to be alright, too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 06:55 AM)Tony Wrote: Did they really play that well.  We gave up 380 to Rodgers. They had  lose to 200 rush yards.. That not that good of defense to me lol. Maybe bend but don't break or just plain lucky.. I don't think the defense is as good as people are saying.. They are better than last year, but that's not saying much..

They held Rodgers to the lowest amount of points since their week 1 loss. They absolutely played well enough to win.

Missed FG’s, INT’s, drops, and bad play calling cost them the game. Not the defense. They were playing the reigning MVP, and the best WR in the league, not a bunch of scrubs. Holding them to 22 points in regulation should have been enough.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 07:15 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Play calling isn’t helping him as well.With better Offensive play calling,we would be 5-0 now,instead of 3-2.

He made multiple terrible throws yesterday.  Play calling had nothing to do with those.  He also had multiple drops by his receivers.

I am not a fan of Taylor, but we have to be realistic about our problems if we want to fix them.
Reply/Quote
Burrow is no Justin "MVP of '21 - '22" Herbert, that's for sure. I kid, I kid! If we had Herbert & the Chargers Burrow, I'd be able to post "Herbert is no Burrow "MVP of '21 - '22" because that is the way of the Bengals.

Anyhow, I've been happy with Burrow's play. I just hope for progress this season and a good '22 draft and free agency to get the Bengals closer to winning for a playoff run.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 07:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He made multiple terrible throws yesterday.  Play calling had nothing to do with those.  He also had multiple drops by his receivers.

I am not a fan of Taylor, but we have to be realistic about our problems if we want to fix them.

I must agree. All blame cannot be placed on Taylor and Burrow cannot be absolved from any accountability. Overall, Zac, Burrow, and the Bengals in general need to make great strides to improve.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 07:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He made multiple terrible throws yesterday.  Play calling had nothing to do with those.  He also had multiple drops by his receivers.

I am not a fan of Taylor, but we have to be realistic about our problems if we want to fix them

This is my line of thought too. I've firmly been in the we need to move on from taylor camp, but Burrow had 2 terrible picks and a bad decision diving on that run. Burrow is not infallible and he played a big part in the loss. 

That 1st pick was a straight up momentum killer too coming off of chases big td and sacking Rodgers right before the half. 
Reply/Quote
And how many injuries, surgeries, hospital visits and near death experiences? His first year is over and if you think of all the abuse he's taken it's been a mess. He's certainly got the short end of the stick being drafted by the Bengals. One of the reasons why Herbert being the 2nd best QB in the AFC and the best QB to come out of the draft doesn't sting. He would have failed here too.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 09:53 AM)jj22 Wrote: And how many injuries, surgeries, hospital visits and near death experiences? His first year is over and if you think of all the abuse he's taken it's been a mess. He's certainly got the short end of the stick being drafted by the Bengals. One of the reasons why Herbert being the 2nd best QB in the AFC and the best QB to come out of the draft doesn't sting. He would have failed here too.

Hopefully this throat thing is a whole lotta nothing, but if Burrow misses a decent chunk of this season for whatever reason the pundits are going to be sharpening their knives, for sure.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 07:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: After 15 games, i expected better in the end from Burrow.. we can say all we want about playing calling blocking etc.. but in the end Burrow as #1 overall pick needs to close out games better like today.. plain and simple..

Seems to me he has been hamstrung with conservative play calling at the games endings. 

Whenever we have been losing and must score and its not conservative he has went straight down and scored it seems. 

But being a #1 draft pick is no guarantee of becoming a success in this league. 
Just ask

Heath Shuler 
Ryan Leaf
Jarmarcus Russell 
Jameis Winston
Akili Smith 

and so forth

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 06:55 AM)Tony Wrote: Did they really play that well.  We gave up 380 to Rodgers. They had  lose to 150 rush yards.. That not that good of defense to me lol. Maybe bend but don't break or just plain lucky.. I don't think the defense is as good as people are saying.. They are better than last year, but that's not saying much..

Dude, it is Aaron Rodgers and the frickin' Packers. I thought we would give up 34 points easy.

We played well on Defense, just needed to double Davante and try and slow down Aaron Jones better is all.

Not an easy task. This was our Defenses biggest test so far this season and they played well enough for us to win once again.

Our Offense needs to start scoring some damn points. It isn't all on Taylor, it isn't all on Burrow, it just needs to start happening.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 11:10 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Seems to me he has been hamstrung with conservative play calling at the games endings. 

Whenever we have been losing and must score and its not conservative he has went straight down and scored it seems. 

Just ask

Heath Shuler 
Ryan Leaf
Jarmarcus Russell 
Jameis Winston
Akili Smith 

and so forth

Joe just needs to start throwing the ball away when the Receiver isn't open and learn to play less wreckless when running
the ball. Less picks and less hits that can be avoided will help him and the entire Offense and team as a whole. His play other 
than this has been outstanding for a young #1 overall pick at QB. Love this guy, great young player, he is just young....

And coming off a terrible injury in his rookie season. Messes with the head and takes time. He will get it together though.
Reply/Quote
I personally wouldnt want a head coach going for it 4th and 7 own 23. Chargers and Herbert overrated. Lets see how Burrow responds like he did after Bears game. Burrow is playing better than Baker already.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 02:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dude, it is Aaron Rodgers and the frickin' Packers. I thought we would give up 34 points easy.

We played well on Defense, just needed to double Davante and try and slow down Aaron Jones better is all.

Not an easy task. This was our Defenses biggest test so far this season and they played well enough for us to win once again.

Our Offense needs to start scoring some damn points. It isn't all on Taylor, it isn't all on Burrow, it just needs to start happening.

They let the 2 guys go off that you have to take out of the game, and let anyone else try to beat them.. I thought it was horrible... Devante had a career best 209 yards and could've had a lot more. It's like no one thought to double him. I even saw Logan Wilson trying to cover Devante.. They get gashed in the run and still give up the big play that's been a problem. The only saving Grace is the redzone defense is bend don't break...
Reply/Quote
Lots of rabbit trailing on a thread about where Burrow is in his development after his first season (in terms of actual games played):

There is a lot to like as I mentioned in the OP. His arm strength was ok when drafted and it has improved from there. He still has the accuracy and the football smarts and was already a leader type but has grown more into that role.

That said, THE thing that has to improve is decision making. 4 of his 5 INT are from plain bad decisions on where to throw. That decision making also covers when to run and when not to as well as when to throw it away. After decision making, the other thing is he still tends to drop back then stand immobile in the pocket until he steps up to throw. In the NFL as opposed to college it is FAR more important for QBs to move in the pocket; make their launch point less predictable for pass rushers.

And yes there are serious issues with the design of the offense and such, but that is another story...
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 02:39 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote:  Chargers and Herbert overrated.  

They've beat nearly all the big teams in the AFC. They are a win against the Ravens away from being the class of the Conference. 

We have yet to even beat a top team.

Chargers are headed to the Superbowl.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: They've beat nearly all the big teams in the AFC. They are a win against the Ravens away from being the class of the Conference. 

for me, it's the Bills
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:01 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: for me, it's the Bills

I wouldn't be surprised. 

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 11:10 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Seems to me he has been hamstrung with conservative play calling at the games endings. 

Just ask

Heath Shuler 
Ryan Leaf
Jarmarcus Russell 
Jameis Winston
Akili Smith 

and so forth

It seems a change of scenery (and lasik eye surgery) has really helped him. He's leading the league in TD% right now on a 3-2 team. Absolutely stomped the Packers.

Also, even before the change of teams, he had a much better and longer career than any of the other people on that list. Rookie Pro Bowler.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: They've beat nearly all the big teams in the AFC. They are a win against the Ravens away from being the class of the Conference. 

if Chargers were home to the Packers not sure they win watched many of chargers this year Herbert is beneficiary of blown coverages quite a bit.
Reply/Quote